Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: fishtheice
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
This Alex Van Pelt has no OC experience??????????

WHY.

From Squires link above: Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ QB coach in Green Bay from 2014-17, has experience as a coordinator, having been the Buffalo Bills’ OC and quarterbacks coach in 2009.

He was the interim OC in Buffalo. You know, kinda like Freddie was here.

except he was the interim for the whole season.. Their OC was fired during preseason

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I chuckled...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

except he was the interim for the whole season.. Their OC was fired during preseason

And they won six games the entire season. With Freddie as our OC for half a season, we won five. Just sayin'.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

And they won six games the entire season. With Freddie as our OC for half a season, we won five. Just sayin'.

Although, if you believe our fat ol' OLine coach, it was all Zampese and not Freddie that got us those wins.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And that looks likely.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

He spent most of his time under McCarthy who spent most of his time under Schottenheimer in KC.

Diversity is a good thing when it works together, though.

Van Pelt was with Zac Taylor last year. Zac Taylor is a Sean McVay guy. Sean McVay is a Shanahan/Kubiak/Gruden guy.

It was only one year but there is a connection.

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/30/20 01:32 PM. Reason: there error
D
Legend
Legend
D
Zampese was calling plays on Sunday’s .. i didn’t know that ... Thanks for the info ... thumbsup

L
Legend
Legend
L

Neither running their own offense. Atleast Kitchens had a proven playbook in Haley's offense, while Van Pelt had the illustrious Turk Schonert playbook. We've seen freddie as an OC of his ownish offense..not pretty. Lets see how VP does with Kubiaks offense. But man those two look eerily similar

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Kubiak/Shanahan offense.

He is from that school.

Is he, though?

He spent most of his time under McCarthy who spent most of his time under Schottenheimer in KC.

Diversity is a good thing when it works together, though.

Van Pelt was with Zac Taylor last year. Zac Taylor is a Sean McVay guy. Sean McVay is a Shanahan/Kubiak/Gruden guy.

It was only one year but their is a connection.

One year may not seem long, but he had to learn the system. He should be able to step in day one and pretty much be in sync with Stefanski

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
The problem is Freddie didn't really have his offensive system. He and Monken tried to blend Monkens O and Haleys.

Kitchens flourished as a play-caller using Todd Haley's offense. Mayfield flourished, setting rookie QB records, running Haley's offense. I never understood why we didn't just stay with Haley's offense in 2019. (Was it trademarked or something?) In other words, if it ain't broke ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
How does the system Shanny/Kubiak correlate with the system Jon boy runs?

Legite question ... not breaking chops ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Although, if you believe our fat ol' OLine coach, it was all Zampese and not Freddie that got us those wins.

And people do tend to believe the story that fits their preconceived narrative.

Or one could believe what all of us have witnessed first hand in the NFL forever. Sometimes position coaches simply aren't ready for the next step. That doesn't take listening to a single source or picking a side.

And we're about to witness whether that history is going to repeat itself here yet again.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

And people do tend to believe the story that fits their preconceived narrative.

Or one could believe what all of us have witnessed first hand in the NFL forever. Sometimes position coaches simply aren't ready for the next step. That doesn't take listening to a single source or picking a side.

And we're about to witness whether that history is going to repeat itself here yet again.

He said that Zampese/saunders helped with gameplans, saunders designed the red zone, and williams provided the discipline/culture to make it all work. How can anyone watch 2018/2019 and not see that he was obviously speaking the truth.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

WHY.

From Squires link above: Van Pelt, who was Aaron Rodgers’ QB coach in Green Bay from 2014-17, has experience as a coordinator, having been the Buffalo Bills’ OC and quarterbacks coach in 2009.

Think he was OC for all of 2009. Jauron got replaced by Fewell (defensive guy) around week 10, but Van Pelt stayed at OC.

The scores don't look great, but they did have 6 OL on IR. I don't think NFL gamepass has tape back that far to really look more closely.

It was over a decade ago anyways. I'm guessing he's grown since then. He at least has known everything that the job entails firsthand for long enough to have considered how he'd do things if given another chance.

It seems he interviewed well and wasn't just the hot name.

Time will tell.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
He said that Zampese/saunders helped with gameplans, saunders designed the red zone, and williams provided the discipline/culture to make it all work. How can anyone watch 2018/2019 and not see that he was obviously speaking the truth.

Probably the same people that have watched many OC's and DC's be very successful people at those positions who failed miserably as HC's.

You know, that thing we've all witnessed many, many times.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

WHY.

Yeah he does,, 1 year in Buffalo.. I think it was 2009

I don't know if it's necessarily a full year. I believe it was on an interim basis during the season after firing someone.

It appears that he was hired for this job..., But damn, it's smokey at best...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whoopity Damn, It's Freddie's brother!!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Is this how other teams do things?

Pick the people with no experience?

I hate this team.

Wasn't it just recently, like a few games ago, last season, Remember when they'd have 1st and goal inside the 5, and they'd line up in the shotgun and have NO Runningback!

That was what the Packer offense would do, We pretty much had agreement that it was a wrong way to run a goal line offense,

I remember being adamant that they needed to put the "packer offense playbook" type stuff in the trash can.

So, obviously this looks like a doubling down on that strategy of trying to "outcute" common sense, football sense ... AS IF

AS IF if they only tried harder with more experienced (guys with the wrong idea), who had had more time screwing around, with this wrong idea'd offense,
that then this wrong idea'd offense wouldn't be such a "wrong idea" and might actually work.

Well Guess what! They're Wrong!
I hope they don't try that stupid packer (Barbara Streisand) offense, because guess what!
It works so bad in the AFC North.

Get ready for more 36 pass attempts in the first half, and abandoning the run game.

(YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT TO KNOW THE CROSS COUNTRY ROAD TRIP IS GOING TO GO BAD! IF YOU'RE SEEING HOW THEY LOAD UP THE CAR!) banghead

Go Team. \0/

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Get ready for more 36 pass attempts in the first half, and abandoning the run game.

Stefanski's Minnesota Vikings offense ranked as both 4th highest in total rush attempts on the season and total rush attempts per game.

The Browns first player personnel move was to sign a FB.

I think it's safe to say they will commit to the run.

Also, AVP was the QB coach in GB, Mike McCarthy called the plays.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Stefanski's Minnesota Vikings offense ranked as both 4th highest in total rush attempts on the season and total rush attempts per game.

This is very comforting. I'd love to see what AVP did in his brief stint at Buffalo, how they did, and who he had to work with. Might be illuminating.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Roster-wise...
Here were his starters.

QB - Fitzmagic
WR - TO and Lee Evans
RB - Fred Jackson
TE - Shawn Nelson
OL (LT -> RT) - Demetress Bell, Andy Levitre, Geoff Hangartner, Eric Wood, and Kirk Chambers

One thing I noticed... his Oline had 2 rookie starting guards, and his LT had 1 year of experience.

Now I'll take a look at the basic stats and post.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

This is very comforting. I'd love to see what AVP did in his brief stint at Buffalo, how they did, and who he had to work with. Might be illuminating.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2009.htm

They had three QBs start games (Ryan Fitzpatrick - 8, Trent Edwards - 7, and Brian Brohm - 1). The running backs were Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch. The leading receivers were Terrell Owens and Lee Evans.

Predictably, given the circumstances, they were among the worst passing offenses in the league. They were sixteenth in rushing yards.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Side note... Apparently this was the year that Dick Jauron was fired as HC in the middle of the year. The DC (Fewell) took over.

Fred Jackson had just over 1000 yards rushing (and Marshawn Lynch had 450 behind him). Interesting note, only 2 TDs each for Jackson and Lynch. Jackson chipped in 371 yards on 46 receptions.

TO had 830 yards receiving on 56 receptions, and he had the most by far. He chipped in 5 TDs. Lee Evans had over 600 yards on 44 receptions for 7 TDs.

They ranked 30th in Total Offense (30th passing, 16th rushing)

-PrplPplEater
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

WHY.

We don't need people with experience, we have analytics.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He was signed to a Futures Contract..I don't necessarily think that's significant.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Squires

WHY.

We don't need people with experience, we have analytics.

naughtydevil

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

He was signed to a Futures Contract..I don't necessarily think that's significant.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts

Stanton certainly is not a lock to make the team, but locking up a FB immediately is not insignificant. Do you have concerns Stefanski will not commit to the run?

Did you not see the rest of the information I posted in my post you quoted regarding the the Vikings ranking #4 in both rushing attempts per game and total rushing attempts on the season?

My conclusion wasn't soley based on the signing of a FB.

From your article...

Instead, NFL teams use futures contracts to claim the rights to players they think will be able to make some noise in the upcoming season.

Here's the rub of the futures contract: For the most part, they're used on players who weren't quite good enough to justify an active roster spot this season but who teams think just might be worth an active roster spot next season. In many cases, this means teams locking up players currently on their own practice squad or another team's.

Brandt explained that this is a great way of locking up talented young guys on the cusp of breaking out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We read it here..

I'm not sure is the best answer I can give you. I know as much as anyone around this board as to what these guys are going to do. It may be that Stefanski really remembers this guy in a good way and thinks he has good potential. I dunno. Maybe it is significant that's the first position signed.

Personally, I think it's more significant that we addressed the Oline Coaching by hiring Callahan but.. thats just me.

SaintDawg™

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As a side note.. I found the Futures Contracts stuff fascinating reading.. completely interesting they went that route

SaintDawg™

M
Legend
Legend
M
Personally, I think it's more significant that we addressed the Oline Coaching by hiring Callahan but.. thats just me.

Agreed. Great hire!

M
Legend
Legend
M

Leaving aside the debate about OBJ/Vernon etc ---- TE, FB and Freddie: 3 of Dorsey's biggest failures. Great that one of two of them have already been addressed.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Leaving aside the debate about OBJ/Vernon etc ---- TE, FB and Freddie: 3 of Dorsey's biggest failures. Great that one of two of them have already been addressed.

We signed a QB?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
Legend
Legend
M
Why would we do that?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Whoever I quoted said we had corrected one Dorsey's mistakes,so I asked if we had signed a QB.

M
Legend
Legend
M
You replied to me - and I said why would we sign a QB. We have one. . . . if you've given up on Baker and pronounced him a bust I disagree.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
So be it.

O
Legend
Legend
O

I don't know. I agree that this guy is probably not a world-beater. This move is certainly not going to set the world on fire like the OBJ trade last year.

I did take note that KS came in, looked around, noticed right away we didn't have a FB and went out and got one. I think that says something.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have no real problem with the hires because head coaches should hire whomever they want. It is their ass on the line if things fall apart. I am also glad we will be running the Shanahan style WCO with zone blocking etc.

What does bother me about the article and some of the comments is this "But if Mayfield likes Van Pelt as much as Rodgers did, the hire will be a success."

I don't care if Baker likes any of the coaches. Like has nothing to do with football. As long as Baker RESPECTS the staff and LISTENS to the staff liking them is irrelevant. They have to get along, obviously. But they don't have to be friends. In fact, it is probably better if they aren't. A friend may hesitate to tell Baker the truth. Something a coach needs to do. A friend may hesitate to chew out Baker for doing something stupid, a coach is different. He has to be.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
linkage

For Milk Man..

Could fullback Johnny Stanton be the Browns’ version of Taysom Hill?
Updated 2:56 PM; Today 9:22 AM

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Browns signed fullback Johnny Stanton to a reserve/futures contract on Tuesday. To be clear, such a transaction isn’t normally the launching pad for NFL stardom.

Reserve/futures contracts help fill out the roster for offseason workouts and training camp by adding young players still trying to find their place in the NFL.

The Browns signed eight others to reserve/futures contracts on Dec. 30. That group included non-household names like Brandin Bryant, Willie Wright and Malcolm Pridgeon. Donnie Lewis Jr., the Browns’ seventh-round pick in 2019, was also among the group.

But Stanton’s background sticks out.

In 2013, as a senior at Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic, Stanton was a four-star recruit and the 11th-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country, according to recruiting website 247Sports.com. You can find YouTube videos that document his junior season, when he rushed for 1,528 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns.

He was Nebraska’s third-string quarterback in 2014, but fell down the depth chart the next year, leading to a transfer. After becoming a JUCO All-American, Stanton landed with UNLV where he played quarterback, tight end, linebacker and special teams.

In six games for UNLV in 2017, Stanton completed 63 percent of his passes for 724 yards, rushed for 96 yards and two touchdowns, had nine tackles on defense, returned a punt for 19 yards and also blocked a punt.

He worked out at QB, TE, LB and long snapper at his 2018 pro day.

That’s versatility, which is something NFL coaches covet. Kevin Stefanski sure does, and he knows fullbacks can provide it.

“I have a healthy respect for the fullback position,” Stefanski said during a reddit chat shortly after he became Browns head coach. “I think it gives you some versatility – because the defense has a hard time knowing whether we’ll be in a one-back, two-back or empty set.”

And if you have a 6-foot-2, 240-pound fullback who was a college quarterback, that’s even more for the defense to think about. It’s that guessing game and versatility that has worked for the Saints with Taysom Hill.

A quarterback at BYU, Hill (6-2, 220) signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent in 2017, then was waived and claimed by the Saints, who first round a role for him on special teams in coverage and kick returns. But his role evolved into part-time passer, rusher, blocker and receiver. He played 17 percent of the Saints’ offensive snaps in 2018, and 22 percent this season.

Stanton, too, got into the NFL as an undrafted free agent, signing with the Vikings in 2018. He has yet to play in a game. Injuries have limited Stanton at all levels of football. He spent 2018 on IR and some of last season on the Vikings’ practice squad.

But Stefanski likes fullbacks. He utilized the position often in Minnesota with C.J. Ham.

Only 12 NFL players to take offensive snaps were considered fullbacks in 2019, according to Pro Football Focus, and only five got more than 100 snaps. Ham (223) and the 49ers’ Kyle Juszczyk (224) were the only fullbacks with more than 150 snaps.

It’s certainly understandable if Stefanski only sees Stanton as a traditional fullback. Ham had just eight carries and 17 catches in 2019.

But as we try to figure out what kind of offense Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt will create in Cleveland, it’s worth remembering Stanton’s background and all the different things he can do.

SaintDawg™

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brown's hire new OC

Link Copied to Clipboard