Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

We now have a qualified football guy who embraces analytics as part of the process in Berry, Sashi did on one end but he wasn't a football guy.

I'd just like to add that Sashi never claimed or pretended to be a football guy. Probably why he didn't take the title of GM. Had he not died on the hill saving the team from Hue I would have expected that we would have brought a GM on board when it came to the build up phase.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree.

Sashi also told us all what he was doing and how it was going to go. He was spot on.

He also brought 9 bonafide starters (if you include Zane) and possibly more to the league from his drafts.

Sashi didn't fail. He lost out to a HC whom Haslam was told was one of the great coaches in the league by many around the NFL.

Everyone blamed Sashi but he wasn't the problem. Sashi took the blame like a man, was fired and wished us well.

I think Jimmy realizes where he made mistakes which is why I think we're back here with Depodesta, Berry, and a HC recommended to fit the "plan."

We aren't the same as 2016, but we have the same goals.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FATE
I think a lot of the same strategies overlap between baseball and football. The lack of salary cap in baseball may have necessitated the approach but the "bang for your buck" theories apply to any sport.

It is never a "cheap" thing, but as a practice, I think it will eliminate a lot of high-priced free agents, or at least place a lot more scrutiny on those types of moves.

An example this year (imo) will be TE Hunter Henry. Analytics will place high value on his skill-set and value to our team, but it may also place a cap on his contract. Since he will be the "class" of the FA market for TEs, there's a slim chance we will engage in the bidding war. This, of course, will depend on his value (and price tag) compared to other options. Analytics by itself won't rule him, or any other player, "in" or "out". It will provide the starting point in the approach because it weighs the generic risk/reward.

I knew you were a sharp guy. Glad to know you. Hope to see you at a game next year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I agree.

Sashi also told us all what he was doing and how it was going to go. He was spot on.

He also brought 9 bonafide starters (if you include Zane) and possibly more to the league from his drafts.

Sashi didn't fail. He lost out to a HC whom Haslam was told was one of the great coaches in the league by many around the NFL.

Everyone blamed Sashi but he wasn't the problem. Sashi took the blame like a man, was fired and wished us well.

I think Jimmy realizes where he made mistakes which is why I think we're back here with Depodesta, Berry, and a HC recommended to fit the "plan."

I still maintain that I think Jimmy doesn't want to be as hands on as he has been. I do think part of the problem is that he has had a tendency to shortcut the process. Which I get I suppose. If he really is the marketing guy his critics accuse him of being, it makes more sense. The process is asking him as a marketing guy to be patient while the brand took a huge hit for a couple of seasons. That has to go against every instinct of marketing to go through that. But it's necessary because all the best marketing in the world is ultimately no good without a good product.

My feeling about this weekly meeting with Jimmy has less to do with Jimmy providing his own input and more an opportunity for 3 heads to show that they are acting in concert. I suspect that a lot of the infighting we've seen over the years was due to Jimmy giving all parties too much leash and too little oversight.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm right there with you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
I agree.

I still maintain that I think Jimmy doesn't want to be as hands on as he has been. I do think part of the problem is that he has had a tendency to shortcut the process. Which I get I suppose. If he really is the marketing guy his critics accuse him of being, it makes more sense. The process is asking him as a marketing guy to be patient while the brand took a huge hit for a couple of seasons. That has to go against every instinct of marketing to go through that. But it's necessary because all the best marketing in the world is ultimately no good without a good product.

My feeling about this weekly meeting with Jimmy has less to do with Jimmy providing his own input and more an opportunity for 3 heads to show that they are acting in concert. I suspect that a lot of the infighting we've seen over the years was due to Jimmy giving all parties too much leash and too little oversight.

I disagree with that. It has been reported that Jimmy has played people against each other since he bought the team. He has been a major factor in the dysfunctional nature of the team. He has shown no reason to expect that he has, or will change.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Reported? Can you post those? I'd like to read them.

Legend
Legend
Inside the Cleveland Browns front office, where hope and history collide
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2579...history-collide

Then, of course, Jimma tore up his ESPN deal, because he cannot stand anyone pointing out that he is an awful and inept owner ..... and, in fact, that he is the worst owner in major sports history, (winning percentage) even worse than #2 worst, The Cavaliers own Ted Stepien.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Now that they are taking a more analytical approach to managing the team look for them to make some surprise moves. For instance, they are not going to keep both Chubb and Hunt, look for one of them to be gone, probably Hunt.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I read the article you posted and there's only one part that comes close to being evidence of him pitting people against each other. The part where he asks the position coaches if the scouts are getting them the players they wanted and asking the scouts if the coaches are developing the players they got them. It doesn't say what he then did with those answers.

Nothing.

No mention of him going in to meetings and starting arguments between the 2 sides.

Buried in the article was a sentence that said most of the former employees agreed that each cleaning house was probably the right decision at the time on it's face.

Past that there isn't anything mentioned to support this notion that Jimmy has purposefully seeks to create conflict between key employees. There were sometimes where maybe he should have drawn some lines, but not enforcing boundaries is not the same thing as being a snake and fomenting discontent.

This article DOES show a guy who has a difficult time being patient through a lengthy process but does have a genuine interest in learning. If nothing else the article actually illustrates my point about a marketing guy having to go against his instincts.

-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
"If you're a position coach, he'll ask how you rate the talent the scouts have drafted. If you're a scout, he'll ask how the coaches are developing talent. You realize he has no true football compass and is pitting you against your peers, sometimes even your boss, but in the moment it feels like you've got the owner's ear.

"You think you're the one he trusts," says a former high-level member of Browns management. "By the time you realize that he confides in everyone, it's too late. You're gone.""

This fits with the fact that we have seen him fire 5 HC and 5 GM.

There are other examples in the article of Haslam's interfering loser behavior.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
"If you're a position coach, he'll ask how you rate the talent the scouts have drafted. If you're a scout, he'll ask how the coaches are developing talent. You realize he has no true football compass and is pitting you against your peers, sometimes even your boss, but in the moment it feels like you've got the owner's ear.

This is the passage I am talking about. I guess I'll need someone to explain to me why asking both ends of what should be a symbiotic relationship if they are getting what they need from the other is inappropriate.

And one way to gauge how well your supervisors are doing is to see what their subordinates have to say about them.

I'd also be curious to know what "no true football compass" is supposed to mean.

"You think you're the one he trusts," says a former high-level member of Browns management. "By the time you realize that he confides in everyone, it's too late. You're gone.""

So in other words this anonymous former member had an inflated sense of how special they were and were crushed to find out that they weren't as special as they thought.

I'm not disputing that he's been a source of dysfunction. I just see clearer examples of that dysfunction being attributed to his lack of patience way more so than because he's fickle, bi-polar, or fancies himself the NFL Tina Turner sitting on her perch as she puts 2 contestants in a Thunderdome style of management.

Critics often like to point out that running a string of truck stops is not the same thing as running a pro-football organization. In some ways that statement is true, but its more false.

I've never worked for a sports organization in my entire life, but I have experiences or witnessed about 95% of the events outlined in the article you posted. TV shows like The Office and cartoon strips like Dilbert wouldn't have been so popular if workplace drama didn't transcend across industries.

-Jack Burton

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
Now that they are taking a more analytical approach to managing the team look for them to make some surprise moves. For instance, they are not going to keep both Chubb and Hunt, look for one of them to be gone, probably Hunt.

They're both likely to be on team friendly contracts. If Hunt leaves, it's because he didn't hold up his side of the deal to stay on the straight and narrow if we signed him after the kicking incident. Nothing really to do with analytics. I'm guessing analytics would show that limiting carries by having multiple competent RBs extends careers and has them in better health towards the ends of long seasons.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Peer reviews are a common evaluation tool. They're generally part of 360 degree feedback systems. They're not pitting people against each other. They're designed to help people improve by providing feedback.

I suppose we'd be better off if nobody asked any questions or communicated with each other, and we did nothing to try to improve outcomes. rolleyes

If people pit themselves against each other, that's problematic. It's not the questions' fault, though. The goal is to get constructive criticism. Not to try to get other people fired. "Football guys", or at least those that wear the label like it's a badge of honor, seem to have trouble with that.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/02/20 02:53 AM. Reason: Added the emoji for clarification

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
If people pit themselves against each other, that's problematic. It's not the questions' fault, though. The goal is to get constructive criticism. Not to try to get other people fired. "Football guys", or at least those that wear the label like it's a badge of honor, seem to have trouble with that.

What did you call it, a "360 degree feedback system"...lol.

A dose of reality is needed...these front office intrusions, such as peer reviews, do create friction between the competing groups and in Cleveland, the guy interpreting the results is 100% biased.

There is no doubt that in Cleveland, when it comes to analytics, their is a bias by guy in charge of analytics and he has a well worn path to the Boss's office and it sure seems that Haslam is more interested in analytics than he is building a winning football team...and that has done nothing but hurt the Browns on the field.

If I were the boss of the Browns, this peer review would end because it fosters friction and it creates a BrownNoser mentality within the front office. It is a waste of valuable time that should be spent on judging football talent.

Haslam created the internal division within the franchise and he doesn't seem to realize how damaging it is to the franchise. When the analytics guy has the power to get the GM fired...something is seriously wrong within the front office.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

1.) Dorsey wasn't fired. He was told he could not participate in the head coach search, and he decided to quit. Dorsey could have stayed, but he botched things so badly with Freddie, that he could not be allowed the opportunity to "Flex his muscles" again.

2.) Freddie messed in in very many ways, record, play calling, a lack of discipline, not calling plays that had been worked on all week in practice. Do you honestly think that if the season would have been 8 - 8 or 9 - 6, that Freddie or Dorsey would be gone? The NFL is a results oriented organisation, to keep your jog, you produce results. The analytics guy did not get Freddie fired, Freddie got Freddie fired. Freddie was so bad that the person who "Flexed his muscles" to make him the head coach, was told he could not be involved in the search for Freddie's replacement.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
As I’ve said before, Haslam isn’t going anywhere, so you have three options, as a fan: accept the reality of the situation, buy the team, or move on to another team.

Well, there is a fourth: constant bitch about the Browns not doing it the way you want.

So, there you go.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd just like to add that Sashi never claimed or pretended to be a football guy. Probably why he didn't take the title of GM. Had he not died on the hill saving the team from Hue I would have expected that we would have brought a GM on board when it came to the build up phase.

Revisionist history. If Sashi wasn't the GM somebody forgot to tell him. Here are some of his comments on being hired as the Wizards

Quote:
"There is far more that will transfer than I think people would imagine," he told NBC Sports Washington.

"When you have sat in that seat as a GM, the job is so big. These are now billion-dollar enterprises. We've got a lot of things that we want to accomplish and you really just can't have enough talent. That's what it feels like a lot of days. From technology to strategy to contract and negotiation and league initiatives, but also just operational support; things that we would like to get done day-to-day to be world-class."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wiz...rds-free-agents

That horrible roster sunk Sashi. Talk about those trying to avoid personal responsibility.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Those who blame the roster and not Hue still don't get it.

Legend
Legend
They were both awful at their jobs. Sashi was the defacto GM. Hue was an awful coach. Wanting to see what Hue could do with better players is just as idiotic as wanting to see what Sashi could do with a better coach. They both needed to go immediately after 1-31. We wouldn't be in the mess we're in now, Kitchens wouldn't have even been on the radar as a head coach and maybe we'd have started with Stefanski or Gregg Williams and been well on our way.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P

Oh I get it. They both sucked and are both gone. I'm not the one who doesn't get it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

People trying to justify an opinion after it is no longer relevant don’t get it either.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
According to Sashi he was the GM. But somehow our fans think they know better.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

No more than those that wanted to see what Hue could do with better players.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

What did you call it, a "360 degree feedback system"...lol.

A dose of reality is needed...these front office intrusions, such as peer reviews, do create friction between the competing groups and in Cleveland, the guy interpreting the results is 100% biased.

There is no doubt that in Cleveland, when it comes to analytics, their is a bias by guy in charge of analytics and he has a well worn path to the Boss's office and it sure seems that Haslam is more interested in analytics than he is building a winning football team...and that has done nothing but hurt the Browns on the field.

If I were the boss of the Browns, this peer review would end because it fosters friction and it creates a BrownNoser mentality within the front office. It is a waste of valuable time that should be spent on judging football talent.

Haslam created the internal division within the franchise and he doesn't seem to realize how damaging it is to the franchise. When the analytics guy has the power to get the GM fired...something is seriously wrong within the front office.

My degree is in business management. 360 degree feedback is a widely used term/process.

Here's a link to a PDF of a scholarly piece on Performance Management.

Performance Management PDF

360 degree feedback is mentioned at the bottom of page 15 (on the page, not the reader program) and most likely elsewhere.

Football is about more than just the football at the NFL level. Many people don't seem to understand that. It's big business and as such many business best practices are incorporated in successful franchises. Everyone involved with the team is being paid and there are limits on how much teams can spend. It's not just find the best players and everyone go out and have fun. It's a billion dollar industry where everyone is looking for an edge. You can't be stagnant and consistently win. You need alignment and honesty, not lip service and backstabbing. If you agree to a plan, you shouldn't whine about it later. Neither should you cry about past regimes for your poor decisions/results.
If you're not willing to work together to improve, you're not going to work out.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
My degree is in business management. 360 degree feedback is a widely used term/process.

Widely used somewhere?...maybe..

Used in the NFL?....NO..

Like I said, it is a waste of time if the front office people aren't working on football.

The process would lead to internal friction and help to divide a football franchise.

I've not heard anything that would lead me into believing the Browns are doing anything like this.

Sounds like pure speculation on your part...

FOOTBALL IS NOT BASEBALL
BASEBALL IS NOT FOOTBALL

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent

No more than those that wanted to see what Hue could do with better players.

We are fans. I quoted Sashi saying he was the GM here. But in the world we live in now, even when you give people a direct quote they try to act like it means nothing.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Widely used somewhere?...maybe..

Used in the NFL?....NO..

Like I said, it is a waste of time if the front office people aren't working on football.

The process would lead to internal friction and help to divide a football franchise.

I've not heard anything that would lead me into believing the Browns are doing anything like this.

Sounds like pure speculation on your part...

FOOTBALL IS NOT BASEBALL
BASEBALL IS NOT FOOTBALL

The process only leads to friction if people can't handle constructive criticism. You don't want people that think they are perfect just the way they are in your organization.

Even in football, all the greats were constantly striving to get better. They were watching and trying to learn from other greats. Kobe was an example of a great that people in other endeavors tried to emulate and learn from.

Football, baseball, rocket science, some things carry across all organizations. "Teams" win in spite of stiff-necked neanderthals who refuse to change, not because of them.

Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I stand corrected then. I hadn't recalled that Sashi held the title of GM while he was here. My bad.

-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
BTW Pit.. from the same article...

"Brown knows what that process is like, having started from the bottom with the NFL's Cleveland Browns three years ago. He laid a foundation there as GM that has helped lead to a bright future for one of the NFL's most moribund teams".

Sounds like someone thinks he did a good job...

-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I stand corrected then. I hadn't recalled that Sashi held the title of GM while he was here. My bad.

He technically wasn't. It was also said we were going to hire a GM when Sashi was hired as executive vice president of football operations.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

He technically wasn't. It was also said we were going to hire a GM when Sashi was hired as executive vice president of football operations.

While the Browns did say they would hire a GM..that didn't happen. I don't know why they didn't go ahead and hire GM...

...but, Sashi handled the GM duties and likely had help from Depodesta and Haslam.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
...but, Sashi handled the GM duties and likely had help from Depodesta and Haslam.

And Berry, who managed the scouting and personnel evaluation.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

While the Browns did say they would hire a GM..that didn't happen. I don't know why they didn't go ahead and hire GM...

Sashi and Depo may have wanted to give the job to Berry then, but Haslam was concerned with the optics of hiring an inexperienced, sub-30 year old GM.

More experienced people may have been unwilling to share a building with Sashi and Depo because they'd never done things the way
the braintrust for the Browns wanted to follow.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sounds like someone thinks he did a good job...

People think all kinds of things. That's why I don't tend to post the opinions of others.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

Yet according to Sashi he was. I guess we should believe you over the man who actually held the job? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Yet according to Sashi he was. I guess we should believe you over the man who actually held the job? Yeah, that's not going to happen.

There was also a ton of debate about exactly what "GM" duties he was taking on as well. Some insinuated that he was the one selecting players based on what hepersonally wanted. Others postulated that he left the player evals and selection to the scouts and was the one who signed his name to the draft card and trade agreements because someone has to.

It's like my paycheck. The person who signs it isn't a part of the police department and is not in a position to direct or influence police related matters.

-Jack Burton

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some will go to great lengths to try and rationalize things.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I have no choice. I have to accept the Browns as they are. We have a new HC/GM/Staff. Whatever is in the past, is in the past. What I want to do is look at what may come.

We have no idea how Kevin Stefanski will be as a coach. Same as Andrew Berry, although we know him better since he was here for over 2 years. What we know, however that they are on the same page. They are both young for their position and both have been recognized for showing the potential to be good at the positions they now hold.

Having a HC and GM on the same page is huge. Especially if they get along with each other and communicate well. I know, it's the Browns, but if these guys can live up to their potential, work together for a common goal, and stay together over time, we could end up with something.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

The goal is to be a champion and to compete for a championship on a regular basis.

In order for that to be achieved a regime needs to last.

First the right people need to be hired and then left to do their jobs.

It is a common complaint of all that continuity is essential. We all know the importance of that.

KS, AB, and PDepo are all in their prime. They are young but all started on their paths very early. All have advanced educations. And all have football experience.
Their experience may not be as thorough as we may like.
However, they are not unqualified. It is not like they are a drastic reach.

Aligned? That all depends on ones perception of the meaning of the word as it pertains to their jobs.

KS needs to be a good head coach. Andrew Berry a shrewd and knowledgeable GM. Paul Depo has to be effective at his role to provide useful data to Stefanski and Berry.

The end result should produce wins. That is the measure of success. If they can win then they will remain and continuity will be achieved. And that will produce the stated goals.

Simplistic? Yes it is. Difficult? Very.

As you stated: We have no choice. I support the uniform.

Seeing KC and Andy Reid achieve that goal. A beautiful sight. I am happy for them. I am a fan of Andy and I like seeing a small market team win it.

I can only dream that it will be the Browns some day and I hope Kevin Stefanski is the guy to raise the trophy.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Andrew Berry as GM and EVP of football operations

Link Copied to Clipboard