Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
Anyone notice John Lynch on the field in the 4th quarter? He must have thought the game was over in the middle of the 4th quarter. He must have forgot who his coach is.

He was down on field level, but he looked really nervous.

Apparently, after Farmer, Shanahan doesn't allow any cellphones on the sidelines, so Lynch had to come down to tell Shanny what to do in person. I expect news of a PowerPoint at any moment.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
He must have forgot who his coach is.

The same could be said for Andy Reid until Sunday.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dave #1728773 02/04/20 06:02 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I just generally don't like the choke label. Its overused and thrown out there too easily. Shanahan's offenses staked his teams to 28-3 and 20-10 leads in SB games that his teams' defenses couldn't hold, for whatever reason. That's not a choke.

Call it what you want but in todays NFL, you can't sit on a lead, especially against the Pats (Brady) or the Chiefs (Mahomes)... Heck in the Pats game, it was only halftime. And the defense scored one of those TDs to make it 28-3..

yebat' Putin
Dave #1728785 02/04/20 06:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: jfanent
In his 2 Superbowls, Shanahan has been outscored 46-0 in the 4th quarter and OT.

Oof. Not a good stat.

He’ll be wearing that for the rest of his life, unless he wins one.

I don't get why Shanahan gets to "wear" the 25 point deficit that the Falcons defense surrendered, when he was the OC for the offense that staked that team to a 28-3 lead?

All of the coaches from that 28-3 chokejob, which it was, will wear that for the rest of their lives. If you have a 28-3 lead in the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl and you end up losing, that's a choke.

IMO, he was the one still calling passing plays that helped the Patriots come back. Sure, that's who they were all season, a team pushing the ball downfield through the air, but if he called only running plays after that late game Julio Jones sideline catch when the Falcons were up 7, they would have been able to attempt a FG that would have iced the game. He ended up calling more pass plays which resulted in a sack and a holding penalty, pushing them out of kicking range.

Think if that were the Browns. We'd be up 7 points, a few minutes left, the ball on their 20-something yard line, 1st down and our kicker has been solid. Do you call passing plays so the clock can stop, put yourself in a position to get sacked or you're forced into a pass-protection holding penalty? I'd think we'd all be screaming at the TV to run three times and kick the FG. Heck, down the ball three times and kick!

And yes, as someone said, he also didn't score a single point in those two 4th quarters. If he had, he might have won both.

The maddening thing about Sunday's collapse, different than how the Falcons were built, the 49ers were built to do the very thing they needed to do, run the ball. They were averaging near 7 yards an attempt. Why did they abandon it?

Back to Kyle, he doesn't own the 28-3 failure all to himself, but it's on his resume. Is it fair to say he owns 10-20% of the blame? As for the percentage blame from this past Sunday, I'd give him about 70%. The head coach always carries the largest portion.

As for not using the word "choke", I don't see the point. If that's what happened, why sugarcoat it to protect their feelings? They're all adults and they're paid well. I try to never use that word with amateur athlete's, but the pros are different. It's why I'm fine with pro teams running up the score as much as they want. Everyone is being paid to play so stop them from scoring if you don't like it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm back to the board for a flash because something is going on that is bugging me.

I read page 6 and part of page 7 on this board. I also tuned into some of Monday's sport's shows, but quickly turned them off. I saw articles on the internet that I bypassed due to their titles

The reason why I turned away from all three lines of communication is because of the need so many folks in this era feel the need to assign blame.

SF won 13 games in the regular season and earned the top seed. They won two more playoff games and played in the Super Bowl. Yet somehow, all I see and hear is criticism about their coach and qb. It's freaking unreal! I find it disgusting and ignorant. I know how hard it is to win football games as a player and a coach. I also understand that it's way harder in the NFL. Instead of getting credit for getting to the game, they are being degraded for not quite winning. What's wrong w/you people?

The sport's talk is getting really bad. Look at this board. There are all kinds of posters that are so interested in winning the debate that they resort to deceiving others and outright lying to "prove" their point. I'm good w/strong arguments, but lies and deception are lame.

Anyway, I thought it was an excellent game that could have went either way. I don't think anyone "lost" it. I think the Chiefs won it. SF could have won the game and folks would be lambasting Mahomes and Reid for being overrated and a choker.

I actually love the game of football and it was an excellent game w/many twists and turns. Those two teams could play multiple times and I think all the games would be close and both teams would win their share.

My only issue w/the game was the officiating and the announcing. Every close call seemed to favor KC and the announcers just ignored some of the calls. Why didn't we see a replay of the play where Watkins apparently fumbled? Why wasn't there much talk of the obvious off-side by KC? Could that hit on Jimmy G have been late? Why didn't we see more shots of it? What about the helmet-to-helmet hits on Jimmy G? Was Kittle's PI called that way throughout the season? Why wasn't Fisher called for multiple holds against Bosa? He was freaking holding him on almost every play and even tackled him a few times. None of the calls were crazy and some may have been correct, but man, it seemed like almost every call favored KC.

I think that might be because Mahomes is the choice to be the face of the league. That's smart. And I love Mahomes. Dude is a great, great player. I just didn't like the obvious bias of the officiating and the blind eye that Buck and Aikman had during the game.

Bottom line: Great game w/a true champion and no losers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The Lombardi Luge!....

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

The Lombardi Luge!....

There aren't many people that become more likable the more you see/hear from them...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
If anything the biggest story by far would be that Andy Reid finally won out over his life long reputation of choking in the big game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If anything the biggest story by far would be that Andy Reid finally won out over his life long reputation of choking in the big game.

I didn't really care who won, but I'm glad he finally got his ring. He seems like a good dude.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
You are all over the map..

After every game people analyze who won/who lost and why. Plenty of time down the road to lament on what a great season it was but in the immediate aftermath of the game.. it's about that one game. The Chiefs walked out with the hardware, the 49ers walked out with nothing despite having a 2 score lead deep in the 4th quarter.. people want to talk about THAT, not sing kumbaya about what a great season they had before they lost in the championship.

Then you claim it was a great game with a true champion... one sentence after claiming that you think the officiating was biased to prop up Mahomes as the face of the league? If the officiating was intentionally biased for any reason, THEN IT WAS NOT A GREAT GAME WITH A TRUE CHAMPION... It was a sham with a manufactured champion.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really don't want to respond to individual posts anymore, but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I will take the blame for not communicating well enough.

I think both teams played very well. I don't think either team "lost" the game. I do think both teams made mistakes, but I think most of those mistakes were forced by the other team's play and ability.

I do think the officiating was suspect, but I don't think that takes away from the performance of the two teams. Thus, I think it was a great game from a football players/coach perspective.

I was also trying to infer that society seems to be a bit off-base w/their infatuation w/the "blame game." It's like a bunch of losers need to criticize high achievers in order to elevate their own existence.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I thought it was a great game. The contrast in styles ws interesting for me. The flashy quick strike style of KC vs the hard nosed run game and great defense for the niners. I really thought the before the game that the niners were the better team and would win. I was rooting for KC though.

Watching the game I found something else fascinating. In the final minutes when KC took the lead the game came down to each teams weaker unit. The Niners passing game vs the KC defense. I do not think to many pople were expecting that scenario to decide the game. The Niners had to go the legth of the field without their run game and I am sure the Chief fans were not too excited to thank their season came down to a defensive stop.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2019 Super Bowl thread

Link Copied to Clipboard