Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Legend
Legend
P
Outside of our top 2 WR's, where is this glut of receiving options you speak of?

Hunt just got busted with weed and we have one fast TE with inconsistent hands.... Other than that a few second level guys.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
To be clear, I'm not one of them. I want to keep all the talent we have and add more. I'm never in favor of letting someone go that can help us to a win.

That said... it's obvious that our Oline needs upgrading, and that was before scheme change. If we become a super run-heavy O, it doesn't make sense to have all these high-priced receivers.

I brought this up before (and would hate it if it happened)... but an example is if Stefanski's offense is patterned after Shanny's, then it would feature the run while periodically taking shots off PA, and keying heavily on one main receiving threat. To me, that sounds like OBJ would get heavy usage while Landry and probably even Njoku won't be utilized much.

Last edited by oobernoober; 01/24/20 02:08 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet the Vikings had duel threats at WR in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Both heavy threats in the passing game. Having WR's that are real threats is in part what helps open up the run game.

And in actuality, The Vikings only had slightly less than four fewer pass attempts per game on average than the Browns did in 2019.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

- theoretically -

You know big word.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
To be clear, I'm not one of them. I want to keep all the talent we have and add more. I'm never in favor of letting someone go that can help us to a win.

That said... it's obvious that our Oline needs upgrading, and that was before scheme change. If we become a super run-heavy O, it doesn't make sense to have all these high-priced receivers.

I brought this up before (and would hate it if it happened)... but an example is if Stefanski's offense is patterned after Shanny's, then it would feature the run while periodically taking shots off PA, and keying heavily on one main receiving threat. To me, that sounds like OBJ would get heavy usage while Landry and probably even Njoku won't be utilized much.

Demetrius Harris was our most targeted TE with 27 targets.

Minnesota's top 2 TEs had 47 and 49.

They spread around the ball a lot better than we did.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Minn also rarely used the 3rd WR..we need a solid TE more than any WR at this point

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
we just need Njoku to be healthy and find his hands, again.

Beyond that, I really like Seals-Jones.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
we just need Njoku to be healthy and find his hands, again.

Beyond that, I really like Seals-Jones.

How's he going to pick them up once he finds them?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Demetrius Harris was our most targeted TE with 27 targets.

Minnesota's top 2 TEs had 47 and 49.

They spread around the ball a lot better than we did.

Our TE's have, in my opinion, been vastly under-utilized for the past 4 seasons or so...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Our TE's have, in my opinion, been vastly under-utilized for the past 4 seasons or so...

As far as pass catching, it certainly looks that way on paper.

Njoku did get hurt early, Harris had the dropsies and lost Baker's confidence, and RSJ joined the team late. So, it kind of makes sense, though.

I think we overused them as inline blockers. Particularly in the redzone. None of them were very good blockers at the point of attack. I think we should have flexed them out more where they could have tried to wall defenders off instead of drive block.

I'm curious to see how we utilize them this season. Drew Petzing as TE coach makes me wonder if we might use them more as the big receivers they appear to be rather than the extra blockers they apparently are not.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I appreciate your response, Bull... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The NFL found a way to make this event even longer.

NFL Draft 2020 is going full-on Las Vegas with red carpet in Bellagio Fountains

By Samantha Previte

January 22, 2020

Clark County Nevada

On Tuesday, Clark County, Nev. unveiled renderings of the league’s epic plans for the 2020 NFL Draft in Las Vegas, and naturally, Sin City is going all out.

The centerpiece of the three-day event, which will take place April 23-25, will be a red carpet stage constructed atop the lake at the fountains of the famous Bellagio Hotel, located on the Las Vegas strip. Draftees and their families will have to be ferried to-and-from the stage for red carpet interviews.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will announce picks from a separate main stage constructed adjacent to the brand new, $375 million Caesars Forum. The forum will house selection square, where the teams will set up.

The event will disrupt traffic patterns and will result in multiple road closures on and near the famed strip.

As with previous drafts, attendance to the festivities is free and open to the public. Access to designated areas and enhanced experiences are not yet available online.

The draft has evolved into a massive tentpole event for the league, each year aiming to top the last in an extravagance arms race. The 2019 draft in Nashville drew a record-breaking 600,000 people in attendance and 47.9 million viewers according to Nielsen.

The league intends to create an interactive brand activation with this year’s NFL Draft Experience, which will be located next to the main stage. Per a tweet from Clark County, fans will also have the opportunity to participate in various activities, such as autograph sessions with players, testing their 40-yard dash times, viewing the Vince Lombardi Trophy and other special performances.

Peter O’Reilly, NFL’s executive vice president of club business and league events, emphasized their mindfulness in incorporating multiple landmark Vegas institutions during planning.

“Embracing Las Vegas’s unique energy and iconic locations as the backdrop for the 2020 NFL Draft will further elevate this growing event,” said O’Reilly. “We look forward to continuing to work with the Raiders, Las Vegas officials and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority to create an unforgettable week-long celebration of football for our fans, the incoming prospects and partners and kick off the NFL’s next 100 years.”

The event coincides with the Raiders’ organization relocating from Oakland to Las Vegas this year.

“The Raiders are thrilled to join the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, the resort corridor, and the local community in welcoming fans to Las Vegas for the 2020 NFL Draft,” Raiders president Marc Badain said in a press release.

It’s going to be a hard act to follow for Cleveland, which will host the 2021 draft.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/nfl-draft-...agio-fountains/

Legend
Legend
Somebody needs to ask Samantha if they will have time for the draft in there. Hope it is swell.

The Draft is getting bigger and longer. I don't want it as a life style. We are watching less of it and enjoying it less. Yea.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Todd McShay's Mock Draft 2.0 has the Browns taking:

Josh Jones OT from Univ. Houston

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I would have no problem with this.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Josh Jones seems like a pretty good fit. He’s played both tackle positions and is pretty athletic. He was also owning dudes at the Senior Bowl.

M
Legend
Legend
M
No doubt. He dominated the Senior Bowl.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm kind of leery about that pick because before the Senior Bowl most reports I saw on him was that while he has the physical tools he needed a lot of work on technique and most draft sites had him listed as a 3rd rnd pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I'm not sure drafting the fourth best OT on the board with your #10 pick makes a lot of sense if that's the way it plays out.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: dawg66
I'm kind of leery about that pick because before the Senior Bowl most reports I saw on him was that while he has the physical tools he needed a lot of work on technique and most draft sites had him listed as a 3rd rnd pick.

The Senior Bowl is the place that changed people's minds. He showed the technique that people thought he lacked.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Off the board was:

Isaiah Simmons
Jedrick Wills
Tristan Wirfs

I'm not sure drafting the fourth best OT on the board with your #10 pick makes a lot of sense if that's the way it plays out.

It seems tackle is among the strongest positions in the draft. If that's the case then it would make sense to draft the fourth best tackle.

(Obviously drafting someone higher than they are graded is a problem.)

I would prefer trading down if there are a few tackles still on the board.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What I've learned from watching drafts for decades is that what "the gurus" tell us before the draft is often not the way that 32 NFL FO's see the draft.

When looking at the LT position, and looking at draft history, the odds of finding four top quality LT's in any draft is a virtual impossibility. Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down may leave yourself at an even bigger disadvantage at the LT position. We're not at the point in our building process to forgo talent over picks.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
When looking at the LT position, and looking at draft history, the odds of finding four top quality LT's in any draft is a virtual impossibility.

I don't know what "top quality" means but I think I agree with you.

Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down would definitely change that situation. You wouldn't be "reaching" for a tackle with the tenth pick. You would pick a player more suited for his draft position and have more picks.

We're not at the point in our building process to forgo talent over picks.

This is just a philosophical difference. I would trade down in every draft no matter the talent on my roster (unless I needed a quarterback and I liked the quarterback(s) that are available).

Last edited by cfrs15; 02/05/20 02:20 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Trading down wouldn't change that situation. I believe a serviceable LT may be found at that depth of LT's, but that's not what you're looking for with a top 10 pick.

Trading down would definitely change that situation. You wouldn't be "reaching" for a tackle with the tenth pick. You would pick a player more suited for his draft position and have more picks.

We agree to that extent. Where the problem comes in is that the further down the draft you pick the player, especially a high demand position, the less the odds of success you have at actually addressing that position.

I think the worst thing we could do is draft the #5 or #6 rated OT and actually have a good chance at addressing the position. That would be a huge loss no matter how you look at it.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

Where the problem comes in is that the further down the draft you pick the player, especially a high demand position, the less the odds of success you have at actually addressing that position.

That's how it works with every position. Trading down helps because history shows that if you pick in the top five you have a pretty good chance at getting a quality player (around 77%) but outside of those top five picks it's basically a coin flip:

https://theriotreport.com/scout-camp-2018-about-the-author/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Senior Bowl is the place that changed people's minds. He showed the technique that people thought he lacked.

So all these people that watched him play and went over his tapes were wrong? Because almost every evaluation I've seen on the guy said he needs a lot of technique work and that he will take some time to develop.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
Legend
Legend
C

So all these people that watched him play and went over his tapes were wrong? Because almost every evaluation I've seen on the guy said he needs a lot of technique work and that he will take some time to develop.

The Senior Bowl changes things. Guys can skyrocket based on the week of practice.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. That is just reaching for needs. With that first pick sometimes you just need to let the draft come to you and take the best player on the board. If 3 tackles are selected in the first 9 picks, there are going to be some good players on the board. Take one of them.

If we are smart about things, we address needs in free agency. We might not get a superstar, but we should be able to upgrade over what we have. Even if we do that, if one of the top OL players is there at 10, we can draft him if we choose.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
That and lots of people are hoping we trade OBJ - for no reason at all.

I am not "hoping" for an OBJ trade but there are certainly reasons why people would want to and I understand their position.

- He has been injured each of the last three/four years.
- His production has decreased significantly in his last three years compared to his first three. (External factors could be a factor as well- Injuries, QB play). But 35 TDs vs 13 TDs is a rather alarming figure even recognizing other factors are at work.
- There are clearly immaturity/diva issues with him

The problem is that trading OBJ now probably means you take a massive hit on the value you gave up to get him. I doubt any team would be willing to give up a high draft pick for someone who played all year with an injury (for consecutive years now), and whose production pales in comparison to his contract.

The best case scenario is a comeback player of the year-type performance in 2020. I expect the Browns to kick the tires on what they would get for moving him, the "due diligence" as they say, but I doubt he is moved.

However, there are #mediaexperts who claim Beckham is pretty much done here in Cleveland from situations that happened in 2019. The thing is, outside of Depo, everyone in leadership positions in coaching and personnel are new.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Perhaps. It depends on whether he's completely oblivious to and unable to use NFL techniques, or if he simply was asked to use different techniques in his college offense.

He seemed to take the NFL coaching at the Senior Bowl well.

Most pro OTs need to improve their technique. Fortunately, technique has a lot more room for growth than natural ability. How are his discipline and work ethic is a question that's answer matters.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess if one ignores that Eli was in decline and OBJ was injured all of last season your numbers might hold some significance. But I thought analytics weren't supposed to ignore such important factors?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm pretty sure that those stats aren't considering reaching for the fourth or fifth rated player at a position within those top 15 or 20 picks. That's the point at which things go sideways.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess if one ignores that Eli was in decline and OBJ was injured all of last season your numbers might hold some significance. But I thought analytics weren't supposed to ignore such important factors?

Speaking of ignoring....

Quote:
External factors could be a factor as well- Injuries, QB play.

I suggest reading an entire post first before responding.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I suggest you don't use the bulk of your post trying create reasons why a player should be traded and then use a "one liner" get out of jail free card to justify it.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I suggest you don't use the bulk of your post trying create reasons why a player should be traded and then use a "one liner" get out of jail free card to justify it.

"Mmmmmm Hmmmmm"

You don't read someone's full post and it's the other person's fault? rofl

I even led with injuries as an concern...

Quote:
- He has been injured each of the last three/four years.

...and then referenced it again.

Excuses, excuses.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You go on with your bad self. You advocate trading him and you don't really care about spelling out things in his favor. When someone does, you whine about it.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
You advocate trading him

No, I don't.

I literally lead with:
Quote:
I am not "hoping" for an OBJ trade

Did you read anything in the post? You look like a fool. I suggest moving on to another topic.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I read it. Go on....

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
You didn't read much of anything and your last few hilariously ridiculous comments reflect that.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Mmmmm hmmmmm....

Carry on. I know you will... wink

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
The NFL draft now require event planners. Nashville kind of blew the lid off of things last year. I am sure Vegas can match that, and enhance.

So for Cleveland, where are they going to have it? Outdoors makes some sense, but you can have snow in mid April.

Cleveland is Rock and Roll. I'd expect to have a all-star cast of rockers just like Nashville brought out the artists that made the Country sound.

I just don't think Cleveland is quite the same. Country stars by the score live in or near Nashville. Nashville is a major music publishing city. Dozens of recording studios, talent agency's.

We got the Rock Hall, but rockers never really migrated to Cleveland. If you were a country artist and wanted a shot, you moved to Nashville.

It is called Music City for a reason. It's all....well, maybe not all anymore, but is about music. Gibson Guitars are made and headquartered there. In the guitar world, Gibson is a strong name.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft With the 10th pick in the draft the Browns select...

Link Copied to Clipboard