Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
Doing some research on the new LB coach, Fred Pagac...

...where did Pagac coach in 2018 and 2019?

Needn't worry, Mac. Wade Phillips gives Pagac a thumbs up!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Head coach - Kevin Stefanski
Chief of staff – Callie Brownson
Senior offensive assistant/offensive line – Bill Callahan
Offensive coordinator – Alex Van Pelt
Quarterbacks – ???
Run game coordinator/running backs – Stump Mitchell
Wide receivers – Chad O'Shea
Tight ends – Drew Petzing
Assistant offensive line – ???
Offensive quality control – ???

Defensive coordinator – Joe Woods
Defensive line – Chris Kiffin
Assistant defensive line – ???
Linebackers – Fred Pagac
Defensive backs/passing game coordinator – Jeff Howard
Senior defensive assistant – ???
Defensive quality control – ???

Special teams coordinator – Mike Priefer
Assistant special teams – Doug Colma

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Nice! Good addition

How do you know that?
he could be someone that Shanahan couldn't wait to get rid of.
No one on here knows squat about any of these Ass.Coaches.

I only hope they do well in the short time that they are going to be here.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Legend
Legend
D
How can VG possibly be your favorite player on the team ... he’s overpaid and not a leader ... rofl ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
Well I’m sure we would all just LOVE to get rid of Jarvis and OBJ, and go back to the day is robiskie and massaquoi

At least they weren’t overpaid ... rofl ...

On the other hand no matter how little we paid them it was prolly to much ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure there are still a few people around here that both Robiskie and Pryor just need another chance to be a WR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
the two of the 3 best players on offense demanding the ball?

they should be tried and hanged for that.

I'm not complaining about it. People were acting like it didn't happen, though.

It happened. I'm fine with it. *shrug*

Was the article a little over the top? Sure. The response by some was moreso.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So now we're weighing the gravity of over the top.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So now we're weighing the gravity of over the top.

This place never ceases to amaze me.

When someone calls something "blatant lies" (Upon review it was "manufactured lies") that actually has some truth to it, I don't need a very fine scale.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/07/20 02:04 PM.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I don't know about his coaching, but he has good bloodlines/connections.

We'll see.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
When someone calls something "blatant lies" (Upon review it was "manufactured lies") that actually has some truth to it, I don't need a very fine scale.

rofl

So in your world making up a lie isn't a blatant act. Dude, you're really reaching here to make a point that doesn't exist.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Joe Woods named Browns defensive coordinator

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/joe-woods-named-browns-defensive-coordinator

When the Browns and 49ers met Week 5 of this past season, Joe Woods was on the right side of a dominant victory. Still, even in the midst of San Francisco's win, Woods thought highly of the prospects of Cleveland's defense, especially when it pertained to its potential.

Little did Woods know at the time, months later and days removed from coaching in Super Bowl LIV, he'd be tasked with leading that unit as its new defensive coordinator. And to top it off, he'd be doing it under the guidance of Kevin Stefanski, whom he worked alongside for eight seasons in Minnesota.

"You could definitely see they had some pieces in place, some talented players that I've evaluated over the years," Woods said. "I was definitely excited to have an opportunity to be a coach here.

"Just from tradition, pride and the fanbase, I know they're craving for a winner and I know we're very close. I feel like if we can get it done, the whole city will erupt. I look forward to that challenge."

Woods and Stefanski arrived together in Minnesota in 2006 when Brad Childress took over as head coach. Woods, who was coming off a two-year stint as assistant defensive backs coach with the Buccaneers, was tasked with coaching the defensive backs under then-coordinator Mike Tomlin while Stefanski was assistant to the head coach.

While Stefanski continued to rise the ranks in Minnesota from 2013-19, Woods did the same with a handful of other teams. After a season with the Raiders, Woods joined the Broncos as defensive backs coach in 2015 and promptly won the first Super Bowl of his career. He was elevated to defensive coordinator for the 2017-18 seasons before joining the 49ers as pass game coordinator/DBs coach in 2019.

The 49ers defense held opponents to 169.2 passing yards per game, ranking first in the NFL in 2019, and the lowest total allowed by an NFL team since 2009 (New York Jets 153.7). San Francisco also led the league with 21 forced fumbles. In addition, the 49ers ranked among the NFL leaders in passing first downs allowed (150, tied for first), total yards per game allowed (281.8, second), average yards per play allowed (4.66, second), red zone trips allowed (40, second), defensive touchdowns (five, tied for third), sacks (48, tied for fifth), total takeaways (27, sixth), opposing passer rating (83.0, seventh) and points per game allowed (19.4, eighth).

"Absolutely worth the wait," Stefanski said. "It's good to see when you're taking a coach from another team it's good to see that team having success. It was fun to watch those guys. They had an incredible season. Joe's impact on that defense was very real.

"I'm going to spend a lot of time with the offense but it doesn't mean I won't spend time with the defense. To be able to have somebody in there that I trust, that I know is a good coach is huge. Just sitting with him this past day and talking football, it just aligns with the vision with the type of defense we want to play. I think we've got a really good defensive coordinator."

Denver's defense didn't miss a beat after Woods took over for Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator in 2017. The 2017 Broncos finished third in the NFL in total defense and joined the Minnesota Vikings as the only two teams to rank in the top five in run defense (89.4 yards per game) and passing defense (200.6 yards per game) that season. Woods' defense also held each of their opponents to less than 300 net yards passing. In 2018, LB Von Miller and rookie LB Bradley Chubb combined for 26.5 sacks as Miller's 14.5 were the second-most in a single season in his career and Chubb's 12.0 set the Broncos franchise record for the most sacks by a rookie.

"It's good to be back in this role," Woods said. "I felt like I learned a lot from my time in Denver. It's really about managing people, game-planning and how to call a game, so I feel like I'm more prepared now than I was then.

"When you have pieces in place and with the additions we'll make in free agency and the draft, I feel like we can really get something accomplished here this next season."

Woods, who has experience coaching both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes, said he'll look to build a defense that best suits the team's personnel. Right now, that means the Browns will continue to operate out of a 4-3 base.

"I think you want to make sure that you're putting the guys that you have in the right position to make plays," Woods said. "I know the personnel here is tailored toward a 4-3 scheme, which I'm very comfortable with. We'll stay with the 4-3 system here and focus on putting the guys in the right positions to make plays."

Woods grew up outside Pittsburgh and has extended family in the Cleveland and Akron areas. He's lived the rivalry between the Steelers and Browns, and now he'll be tasked with coaching against his longtime mentor, Tomlin, twice a season.

That's just a small part of the excitement he carries into his new role as the leader of Cleveland's defense.

"When the Vikings hired Mike as the defensive coordinator in 2006, Mike wanted to bring Joe along as his defensive backs coach, which should tell you what kind of coach Joe is," Stefanski said. "Joe is somebody Mike trusts, they're very close to this day and I think Joe's looking forward to facing him two times a year."

Said Woods: "I know they're a division rival and I was on the other side of it my whole life because I grew up in Pittsburgh but now it's about business."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
"I think you want to make sure that you're putting the guys that you have in the right position to make plays," Woods said. "I know the personnel here is tailored toward a 4-3 scheme, which I'm very comfortable with. We'll stay with the 4-3 system here and focus on putting the guys in the right positions to make plays."

A quote for the people who don't know that nickel is base.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

rofl

So in your world making up a lie isn't a blatant act. Dude, you're really reaching here to make a point that doesn't exist.

Can you show me the lie?

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Good news. Welcome, Coach Woods!!

Time to go to work. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

thumbsup
nanner

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B

thumbsup
nanner

I am sure he will first meet with Depo for some fine tuning. LOL.

Actually, I am glad he is signed and should shortly be in the building on a regular basis. I am sure at some point he will need a few days to sign on the sale of his old house and maybe help with the move to some degree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I went to the 49er's site... Kiffin isn't on the coaching roster..but Woods is...lmbo...

You seem to be getting it right .. thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Glad Woods brought Kiffin with him ... maybe now we can develop a feared defensive line instead of the cream puff line we have watched for decades...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Glad Woods brought Kiffin with him ... maybe now we can develop a feared defensive line instead of the cream puff line we have watched for decades...

I am sure Kiffin is a good coach, but line coaching is pretty standard. There are only so many moves a player can make. I think SF invested heavily in their D line....like three #1 picks.

If Derrick Brown falls to us, and he might, we best take him. With Garrett pressuring from the outside and a player like Brown crushing the middle, cream puffs no more.

DE's get most of the sacks but that usually happens when you have a player like Randy White or Reggie White in the middle of the line who demand the center double them.

Stopping the run requires a up the middle D. Sacking the QB in large numbers requires a solid up the middle pass rush.

Football and baseball are similar in that on D, you need to be solid up the middle. In baseball, your catcher, SS, 2nd, and CF have to be solid on D. You want them solid with the bat, but you can't have them weak on D. We have seen a lot of weak hitting middle infields, catchers and center outfielders because they won more games for the team with the glove than a good hitting player would at bat.

In football, you need to be stout at DT, MLB, and safety. If you do that, all the rest will fall in place.

That isn't to say outside players don't count or change games. I am simply saying the QB is at the center of the O, so you want his view to be facing a solid middle of the D.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Browns hire former Broncos QB coach T.C. McCartney as offensive assistant

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Kevin Stefanski has hired former Broncos quarterback coach T.C. McCartney as an offensive assistant, a league source told cleveland.com.

McCartney was an offensive quality control coach for the Browns in 2014 under Kyle Shanahan.

McCartney was fired as quarterbacks coach by the Broncos at the end of the 2019 season, when they let his boss, offensive coordinator Rich Scangerello, go. But McCartney drew praise for his work with rookie quarterback Drew Lock, who went 4-1 at the end of the season, with victories over the Chargers, Texans, Lions and Raiders.

Lock threw seven touchdowns and three interceptions en route to a 89.7 rating. McCartney has also been a quality control coach for the 49ers (2015, 2017-18).

Scangarello interviewed with Stefanski for an offensive position, possibly offensive coordinator, and McCartney was a candidate to join him as quarterbacks coach. But the Browns ended up hiring Alex Van Pelt as offensive coordinator and Scangarello joined the Eagles as a senior offensive assistant.

Still, the Browns liked McCartney, and he’s already spent a week at the facility under Van Pelt, a former NFL quarterback who built his career coaching that position.

McCartney will likely assist with the Browns quarterbacks in addition to his other duties, meaning the Browns might not hire a specific quarterbacks coach. Stefanski, Van Pelt and McCartney will all work with Baker Mayfield, and Stefanski hasn’t yet determined who will call the plays.

Before joining Scangarello in Denver, McCartney spent two years with him in San Francisco, where they helped the 49ers rank 10th in passing yards during that time. McCartney has also worked at LSU and Colorado.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
#Browns to hire Jason Tarver as LB coach, per league source. Formerly defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1226197876843433991

#gmSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What happens with Fred Pagac?

Some reported he had been hired as the Browns LB coach...

Legend
Legend
Otot
What happens with Fred Pagac?

Some reported he had been hired as the Browns LB coach...

He was too football minded for Depodesta's liking. They wanted somebody more willing to base their decisions on analytics. smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Head coach - Kevin Stefanski
Chief of staff – Callie Brownson
Senior offensive assistant/offensive line – Bill Callahan
Offensive coordinator – Alex Van Pelt
Quarterbacks (and other stuff) - T.C. McCartney
Run game coordinator/running backs – Stump Mitchell
Wide receivers – Chad O'Shea
Tight ends – Drew Petzing
Assistant offensive line – ???

Assistant defensive line – ???
Linebackers – Jason Tarver
Defensive backs/passing game coordinator – Jeff Howard
Senior defensive assistant – ???

Special teams coordinator – Mike Priefer
Assistant special teams – Doug Colma

Wade Phillips congratulated Fred Pagac on being hired by the Browns. My guess is that he’ll end up being the senior defense assistant.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry want the ball, and they’ll be the first ones to shout it from atop the Terminal Tower.

The Browns star wide receivers want to win, too, but they believe their individual success is often necessary for team success.

There is no mind reading here. Beckham and Landry have publicly explained their philosophies many times.

Chad O’Shea obviously knows this.

Not one person questioned this. It's a manufactured lie, but that is how far so-called journalists have fallen.

I am going to reply to my own post because there is some Bull crap being thrown around.

I clearly said "manufactured lie" and not "blatant lie." Also, what I said was not over the top or a lie. Someone even asked where was the lie in what the reporter said.

Well, when you use a phrase like "...shout if from atop The Terminal Tower..." you are implying that these guys made it well-known that they were not getting the ball enough.

We have a lot of posters on here who like to post quotes from people. Can any of you great researchers make a list of all the times that Landry and OBJ complained to the media about not getting the ball enough? Can you give us examples of them refusing to block for RBS and other receivers?

I remember one incident where Landry yelled at Freddie and later said he wasn't getting the ball enough. One incident. Can someone please show us how this was an ongoing issue where they were complaining to the entire city of Cleveland about they wanted the ball more.

There was one player who mouthed off a lot in the press. But, his name wasn't OBJ or Jarvis Landry.

I'll be waiting for the numerous quotes of how often OBJ and Landry complained about not getting the ball this year.

One more thing................any player worth a damn wants the damn ball. Stefanski had to deal w/Diggs and Theilan complaining WAY MORE than OBJ and Landry about not getting the ball and how there were problems w/the offensive scheme. You think Michael Thomas doesn't want the ball? What about Julio? Did Jerry Rice want it? Do you think that Chubb doesn't want carries? What about Hunt? Does Baker believe he can pass us to wins?

Get freaking real!!! Good players want the ball. That does not make them a bad teammate and just an individual. I actually think both OBJ and Landry did an outstanding job of NOT COMPLAINING this year when you consider how inept the play calling and QB play was.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Report: Browns to hire Fred Pagac as new LBs coach

Jeff Risdon
February 5, 2020 10:23 am ET
L

A fresh report from Sirius XM NFL Radio’s Alex Marvez indicates the rumors of Fred Pagac joining the Cleveland Browns as the new LBs coach are expected to be made official. Pagac will join the staff under new head coach Kevin Stefanski and defensive coordinator Joe Woods, who also has yet to be officially hired.

Pagac (pronounced Pug-itch) worked with Woods in Denver from 2015-2017. He’s best known for his lengthy tenure as the LBs coach at Ohio State, where he worked for more than 30 seasons.

Pagac also has experience in several NFL stops, including Minnesota, Denver, Oakland and Buffalo. He does have coordinating experience.

Is he or isn't he?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
My guess is that he’s on staff but not the linebackers coach.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Sir, this is a thread about assistant coaches.

Legend
Legend
hey bro can you give me the non-googled job description of a quality control coach?

i must admit, for years i never actually knew what they do.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Translation: I could not find multiple quotes from OBJ and Landry telling everyone that they needed the ball more.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Cut up film, make copies of playbooks, be a gofer for coaches, etc. Do the dirty work.

Legend
Legend

Translation: I could not find multiple quotes from OBJ and Landry telling everyone that they needed the ball more.

Since we're off topic, have you picked a new team to root for yet?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry want the ball, and they’ll be the first ones to shout it from atop the Terminal Tower.

The Browns star wide receivers want to win, too, but they believe their individual success is often necessary for team success.

There is no mind reading here. Beckham and Landry have publicly explained their philosophies many times.

Chad O’Shea obviously knows this.

Not one person questioned this. It's a manufactured lie, but that is how far so-called journalists have fallen.

I am going to reply to my own post because there is some Bull crap being thrown around.

I clearly said "manufactured lie" and not "blatant lie." Also, what I said was not over the top or a lie. Someone even asked where was the lie in what the reporter said.

Well, when you use a phrase like "...shout if from atop The Terminal Tower..." you are implying that these guys made it well-known that they were not getting the ball enough.

We have a lot of posters on here who like to post quotes from people. Can any of you great researchers make a list of all the times that Landry and OBJ complained to the media about not getting the ball enough? Can you give us examples of them refusing to block for RBS and other receivers?

I remember one incident where Landry yelled at Freddie and later said he wasn't getting the ball enough. One incident. Can someone please show us how this was an ongoing issue where they were complaining to the entire city of Cleveland about they wanted the ball more.

There was one player who mouthed off a lot in the press. But, his name wasn't OBJ or Jarvis Landry.

I'll be waiting for the numerous quotes of how often OBJ and Landry complained about not getting the ball this year.

One more thing................any player worth a damn wants the damn ball. Stefanski had to deal w/Diggs and Theilan complaining WAY MORE than OBJ and Landry about not getting the ball and how there were problems w/the offensive scheme. You think Michael Thomas doesn't want the ball? What about Julio? Did Jerry Rice want it? Do you think that Chubb doesn't want carries? What about Hunt? Does Baker believe he can pass us to wins?

Get freaking real!!! Good players want the ball. That does not make them a bad teammate and just an individual. I actually think both OBJ and Landry did an outstanding job of NOT COMPLAINING this year when you consider how inept the play calling and QB play was.

No one said it was a bad thing. That was an interpretation you brought with you.

They want the ball and haven't been afraid to say it. They're very "media friendly" and not afraid to give a quote. I thought OBJ did a good job saying the right things in the media last season. They both had some sideline blowups, but the frustration was understandable.

It just kind of felt like you read the first couple lines of the article thinking they were going one direction, got revved up, and didn't read the rest of the article. Some people have a tendency to assume they know what people mean without actually reading everything those people write, and they add their own interpretation of what they think others mean with little to no basis.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You asked for links less than 15 minutes ago.(from quoted post) It took you over a day and a half to point out a (kinda, sorta, maybe, probably not actually) lie, then walk it back by giving examples of when they did things that fit with the "lie."

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/08/20 10:17 PM.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's not a big deal, but it wasn't a "manufactured lie" either. (The whole intro about OBJ and Landry did present an awkward transition to the rest of the article)

Here's an article with multiple quotes from Landry talking about getting "13" and "80" the ball more just for you.

link

I won't post links to the sideline yelling because we're already far enough off topic.

So anyone have thoughts on Kiffin? I'm not sure what to think. He wasn't in SF long, and Bosa came to him well coached.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
This man might well be our football guy. I welcome Fred if it proves to be true.

Some serious LB improvement would be welcomed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
This man might well be our football guy. I welcome Fred if it proves to be true.

Some serious LB improvement would be welcomed.

I agree. I am just not sure how much coaching can improve that.

It can help, but it also takes talent at the position.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
You yourself said it was a manufactured lie. Now there was no lie?

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns assistant coach rumors II

Link Copied to Clipboard