Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Just 3.5 more wins this year and the Browns will be knocking on the door to the Playoffs. Finish what was started 4 years ago.

...JUST WIN !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We should have made the playoffs in 2018. We got robbed 2 wins because of bad calls in the Oakland game and the 2nd game with Baltimore. The refs blew the play dead prematurely on the 2 fumble recoveries which cost us a TD in each game. Water under the bridge but if we won those games and made the playoffs things would have been very different. How could we have fired GW if he got us in the playoffs for the 1st time since "02? We would have probably kept him and our other coaches in place. Food for thought.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Depo inherits nothing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is a comment from your previous thread that just got locked.

Quote:
Crazy that an inaccurate story would come out just before the draft, right? That never happens.

This refers to information that the FO wanted Trubisky at number 1 and Hue said he would not support Trub. He wanted Myles.

Actually, Seth Wickersham posted this information not too long ago. It was in the same article that contained the infamous "I flexed my muscles" comment that many of the "smart" posters like to continually bring up. It was a story by a writer who was inside the building.

Too many folks on here are in the deception game and are not in search of the truth or honest debate.

Also, Bull is telling outright lies in that thread and many others. The one I was involved in was the Osweiler decision.

cfrs could have confirmed what I said was true and that Bull's take was incorrect, but he chose not to. I say that because cfrs posted Osweiler's comment many times{Go ask the GM] when he was asked why he was no longer starting. cfrs thought it was a really "weird" answer. I thought it spoke volumes about Sashi. Of course, cfrs conveniently didn't mention any of that when he joined the locked thread.

Too much deception and lying going on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
your thread title and the post you made.... thumbsdown

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to add this.

In my opinion, Dorsey was the best thing that has happened to the Browns since their rebirth. Before he got here, analysts consistently said that Browns had the worst roster or very close to the worst for years. Last year, those same people [I'm not talking about Brown's fans or dudes on here] said the Browns had as good of a roster as any team in the league.

Dorsey turned the roster from a disgrace into a very talented one in just two years. Yes, he had a lot of assets to work with. I would never debate that. However, he made a ton of good picks, trades, and signings.

Folks point out that it's easy to acquire talent when you have so many assets. I think it helps, but getting Landry for a 4th round choice and trading a stiff like Kizer for Randall had nothing to do w/that.

I think it is way easier to tank. Don't re-sign your good players. Trade away your high draft choices. Tear the team apart. That isn't hard. Any idiot can do that. What you have to look at is the picks they made and the free agents they signed. And the "smart" guys failed miserably at that part of the process.

It led to 1 and 31 and folks are trying to tell us that bringing back those dudes is "smart." LMAO.........it's such a crazy argument that all one can do is laugh, but folks on here actually champion such nonsense.

I am so upset that the team I have loved for over 50 years fired the best GM they have had since the rebirth and replaced him w/guys who obviously were sniping at his back the entire time.

I am not going to respond to any of you. I don't want the aggravation that always comes from such discussions. Feel free to think and say what you will of each regime. However, I wanted to voice my opinion on the Dorsey situation again. I feel as if something valuable was stolen from me and replaced w/garbage.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The only two times Trubisky is mentioned in the Wickersham article:

Quote:
Now there was debate between targeting Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett and North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky. Jackson wanted Garrett and one day made his case by taping pictures of Garrett on the glass walls in Haslam's office as a joke. But Jackson wasn't kidding when he later vowed to Haslam that he wouldn't support Trubisky, publicly or privately. The team ended up deciding in favor of Garrett but kept Jackson in the dark about it until shortly before the draft, for reasons unexplained to him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2579...history-collide

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
With the Browns offense as bad as it was, the team won 6 games.

With our defense as bad as it was, the team had 6 wins.

Identifying the weak areas on offense and defense shouldn't be difficult for the incoming staff. Focus the draft and free agency in those areas of need and with good coaching, it should not be that difficult for this team to win 3 or 4 more games.

Ten wins should get the Browns in the playoffs in 2020.

If the new management and coaching staff go back to playing Moneyball, FORGET THE PLAYOFFS this year. But, with the talent already on this team, it is not necessary to go back to losing with Moneyball. I hope I "never" see that scheme again.

Ten wins is doable ... thumbsup nanner

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How would you run the organization ? Who would you hire to help you..and how much of a guarantee it would be successful ?

Stop bitching and hating... we know you hate the FO.. we see it..But I have never seen you post on how you would run it to change the culture...

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: mac
Just 3.5 more wins this year and the Browns will be knocking on the door to the Playoffs. Finish what was started 4 years ago.

...JUST WIN !

THANK YOU for the positive post! And amen brother!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The goal for every team is the Superbowl. Some teams take a longer view.

Berry, Stefanski, and maybe to a lesser extent Depo "inherited" the team. Singling out Depodesta, as in the title, seems a bit unnecessary.

They're all three saying the right things. Talk is cheap, though. Now they've got to do it.

Can they solidify the OL? That's the big question.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Looks like another 'popcorn night'. Haven't had one of those in a while...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol

Legend
Legend
What team are you rooting for these days?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Pretty sure he said he likes the Chiefs and 49ers...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
So, I see the title and think “ Gee, wonder where this will go?”

Then I read the post and say “Yeah, simple, solid view. I can agree with the ten wins idea.”

Then I read your second post, and, well, you made it three sentences.

You seem to have a weird kind of Tourette’s, where you have to, just have to, scream “Moneyball!!” over and over, no matter how deranged it makes you look.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

It's funny how so many folks get upset when other folks question the latest regime after they spent years complaining about the previous regime.

Dudes will be saying stuff like "go root for another team." Meanwhile, they ignore that they bashed Hue and Dorsey multiple times daily after Sashi was fired.

Then, we have dudes who constantly proclaim that can't believe we brought back Hue after 1 and 31, yet they don't say boo-peep about bringing back most of the FO who was responsible for 1 and 31.

Hi jfan and y'all.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wos, the front office was responsible for Hue's 1-31? I bet Hue is glad to hear that.

Didn't you claim you were done rooting for the Browns, or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Depodesta inherits a 2018/19 team averaging 6.5 wins per year, the 2020 goal, THE PLAYOFFS!

WOW who died and left him that inheritance? notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Depodesta is running the franchise at this point, hiring the HC that HE WANTS...

...hiring the GM that HE WANTS...

Depodesta will be sitting in on the draft, making sure that players that meet his standards are drafted.

At this time, Depodesta is running this franchise and he is inheriting a team that won 13 games in the past two seasons...and 99% believe last years team grossly under performed.

Depodesta inherits a team with great potential with a coach and GM that meet his standards. I'm not sure what some of you are disputing>

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

It's funny how so many folks get upset when other folks question the latest regime after they spent years complaining about the previous regime.

Dudes will be saying stuff like "go root for another team." Meanwhile, they ignore that they bashed Hue and Dorsey multiple times daily after Sashi was fired.

Then, we have dudes who constantly proclaim that can't believe we brought back Hue after 1 and 31, yet they don't say boo-peep about bringing back most of the FO who was responsible for 1 and 31.

Hi jfan and y'all.

You must have missed my post about not being thrilled with bringing Berry back. What are you doing, did you just come back to crack on other posters here? Most of your posts are doing just that. Are you a Browns fan again or just trolling?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
Depodesta is running the franchise at this point, hiring the HC that HE WANTS...

...hiring the GM that HE WANTS...

Depodesta will be sitting in on the draft, making sure that players that meet his standards are drafted.

At this time, Depodesta is running this franchise and he is inheriting a team that won 13 games in the past two seasons...and 99% believe last years team grossly under performed.

Depodesta inherits a team with great potential with a coach and GM that meet his standards. I'm not sure what some of you are disputing>

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All I can think about when I think about this "New Regime" is this:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--George Santayana

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Depo has to wish he inherited more than this underachieving group. We should stop blaming losses on zebras, even if true.

We are our record. Gear up.

Unleash The Elf!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I wonder what the minimally acceptable record would have been if we had kept Dorsey and Freddie? (or even just Dorsey)

I bet a whole lot of people who are poo-pooing the idea that the playoffs should be the minimally acceptable outcome for the new guys would be 100% behind the idea that this would have had to be the minimum for Dorsey and Freddie. (or a coach of Dorsey's choosing)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
It’s hard to say because it seems like things behind the scenes were worse than on the surface.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Depo has to wish he inherited more than this underachieving group. We should stop blaming losses on zebras, even if true.

We are our record. Gear up.

Unleash The Elf!

I agree. Bad calls happen all the time. In the end it is rare they have major impact...th non interference call on the Saints receiver made a big difference.

It goes to show that even good teams sometimes can't overcome a bad call. We aren't that good. We allow every bad call to impact us.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I wonder what the minimally acceptable record would have been if we had kept Dorsey and Freddie? (or even just Dorsey)

I bet a whole lot of people who are poo-pooing the idea that the playoffs should be the minimally acceptable outcome for the new guys would be 100% behind the idea that this would have had to be the minimum for Dorsey and Freddie. (or a coach of Dorsey's choosing)

Probably so, but we made a full change, and that throws it back a bit. I said a bit. Not a lot.

In 18 we won 7 games. Last year 6, so we were trending downward. The record says so.

If we win 7, we are then trending upward, right?

Being the fair person that I am, I realize it isn't that cut and dried. I am not going to claim 10 wins and playoffs or it is a failure like some with the agenda insist, but 8-9 wins would be a good improvement.

It is what it is YTBF....we could lose the Superbowl and a few would claim that as Depo being a failure...and he isn't even the decision maker for crying-out-loud.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
All I can think about when I think about this "New Regime" is this:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--George Santayana

Or...

Those who get stuck in the past are left behind.

If only it were true for posters.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
If we get to the Super Bowl, I won't call anyone a failure.

If we win 5 or less games, (barring a disastrous string of injuries, or other uncontrollable) I will.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Nate Ulrich
@ByNateUlrich
#Browns QB Brock Osweiler on what needs to happen for him to still win starting job: that's a good question for the general manager.

Why would the question of what needs to happen for Brock to start be up to the general manager? Isn't Jackson the one making the lineup decisions here? Again, weird.

One potential theory on the benching is that the Browns are going to attempt to get something for Osweiler in a trade and thus don't want him to get injured, but Osweiler isn't leaning in that direction himself.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brown...-the-preseason/

Brock Osweiler: No regrets about anything I’ve done with Browns

With Kizer officially installed as the starter for a preseason game only at this point, Osweiler said he feels like he still has a “great opportunity” with the team, although he said it was better to ask General Manager Sashi Brown what he could do to win the job.

https://blog.nbcsports.com/nbcprofootbal...ne-with-browns/

I agree with you that facts aren't always welcome in discussions around here.

We also know alternative facts really aren't a thing. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
If we get to the Super Bowl, I won't call anyone a failure.

If we win 5 or less games, (barring a disastrous string of injuries, or other uncontrollable) I will.

I know YOU wouldn't because you are smart and a good guy. I have been rapping with you for what, 20 years or more? I was talking about other people.

Sure, 5 wins would be disaster unless as you said, 5 key players go down for one reason or another.

Next man up sounds great, and you can cover to a degree if it is one player, but you start looking at multiples of 2nd stringers playing, you have a problem you won't fix.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It’s hard to say because it seems like things behind the scenes were worse than on the surface.

I would have been pleased to have kept Dorsey while firing Freddie.

But those arguing that Dorsey was the be all and end all and it was lunacy to let Dorsey go seem to give him a free pass on the dysfunction that was going on (and he was "The" guy last year without any interference from FO so he owns it) ... also the FK hire and wanting to stick by him ... and while I personally lean on the side that says Dorsey improved the talent on the roster dramatically, there is a lot of debate to be made over that as well. So it really is not at all cut and dry.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I would have been pleased to have kept Dorsey while firing Freddie.

But those arguing that Dorsey was the be all and end all and it was lunacy to let Dorsey go seem to give him a free pass on the dysfunction that was going on (and he was "The" guy last year without any interference from FO so he owns it) ... also the FK hire and wanting to stick by him ... and while I personally lean on the side that says Dorsey improved the talent on the roster dramatically, there is a lot of debate to be made over that as well. So it really is not at all cut and dry.

He could have stayed. He chose to leave. he wasn't going to have open range on the next coach, and maybe a scaled back say on final roster, but I am not sure of that. I think id scaled back, it would have been minimal.

Yet, he wouldn't have been the Silverback storming around Berea chewing gum calling people "buddy boy".

Maybe I'll just start calling people who were 100% behind Dorsey "buddy boy".

Something tells me they won't like it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't mind it. It would be an improvement over what some people call me. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Seriously?

You're going to post all that, throw a shot at people ignoring "facts" and ignore the questions answered with "Hue's decision."

You cherry pick and speculate on things Osweiler said to fit what you want to believe and then post it as fact.

Based on your current and past signatures, I shouldn't be surprised by this...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Probably so, but we made a full change, and that throws it back a bit. I said a bit. Not a lot.

In 18 we won 7 games. Last year 6, so we were trending downward. The record says so.

Being the fair person that I am, I realize it isn't that cut and dried. I am not going to claim 10 wins and playoffs or it is a failure like some with the agenda insist, but 8-9 wins would be a good improvement.

It is what it is YTBF....we could lose the Superbowl and a few would claim that as Depo being a failure...and he isn't even the decision maker for crying-out-loud.

Yet, many folks are supporting the firing of Dorsey who took over a team that has a 1 and 31 record and the worst roster in the NFL and went 13-18-1 in the next two years and constructed one of--if not the most--talented rosters in the league.

I still can't believe the Browns got rid of Dorsey. I really think that Depo and the other guys left over from the previous regime were at odds w/Dorsey the entire time and used last season's struggles as a vehicle to convince Haslam to get rid of the best thing the Browns have had since our rebirth.

As a lifelong fan of the team, I truly feel cheated and it galls me how so many of you are acting like this is a good thing.

1 and 31 to 13-18-1 is significant improvement. It's hard to overcome a losing culture in football. You simply don't play enough games. It's very different from the NBA and MLB. I truly think that most folks on here don't understand that aspect of how dumb it was to tank.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’d be 100% on board being called buddy boy ... thumbsup

Last year i said division crown and this year will be no different .... the TALENTS there .... i personally have the same agenda I did last year ... WIN ....

and your full of crap thinking going from 6 wins last year to 7 or 8 this year is improvement ... that’s exactly why STATS ARE FOR LOSERS! .... u wanna know why? ... how many games did my boy cost us last year? ... between him and Wilkes we were the worst coached team in the league IMO ... Wilkes stunk too .... THE TALENTS THERE ....

I am not a guy that likes coaches tossed without giving them a chance ... i saw enough of not ready Freddie to be fine with canning him ... if Kev and staff are just as bad .. i may be fine with them going also ...

IF we don’t win at least 10 and/or don’t make the playoffs I will once again be disappointed ...

But the best parts gonna be if it happens ... all were gonna hear is how great the new staff is and Depo is the new best exec in football ... rofl ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Yet, many folks are supporting the firing of Dorsey who took over a team that has a 1 and 31 record and the worst roster in the NFL and went 13-18-1 in the next two years and constructed one of--if not the most--talented rosters in the league.

I still can't believe the Browns got rid of Dorsey. I really think that Depo and the other guys left over from the previous regime were at odds w/Dorsey the entire time and used last season's struggles as a vehicle to convince Haslam to get rid of the best thing the Browns have had since our rebirth.

As a lifelong fan of the team, I truly feel cheated and it galls me how so many of you are acting like this is a good thing.

1 and 31 to 13-18-1 is significant improvement. It's hard to overcome a losing culture in football. You simply don't play enough games. It's very different from the NBA and MLB. I truly think that most folks on here don't understand that aspect of how dumb it was to tank.

If Dorsey's job was only blowing through assets on players, he'd still be here. You talk about culture, but it looked worse last year than it did under Hue. Dorsey and his handpicked coach had more people in and out of the doghouse and fewer people on the same page than I've ever seen. We were so undisciplined, Myles ripped a guy's helmet off and tried to beat him with it. Baker regressed. Saying that most of the people on the team aren't "real football players" wasn't good for our culture. There's more to being a good GM than just being a good scout. He brought in some talented skill position players. The players that the media thinks of when they think of the "stars". Unfortunately, his work in the trenches was underwhelming.

Hopefully, we have a group now that won't lead to another bout of toxic culture. We have the talent to compete. Now we just need to provide the talent with a better environment. Berry's an unknown as a player picker, or at least he has no track record. He could be good. Why assume he isn't?

Can we thank Dorsey for the talent he brought while also acknowledging he was part of the problem?

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Come on, bro! You are being unfair. Your expectations are too high for the new guys.

Last year, most folks on here had us winning the division. Many had us winning playoff games. Quite a few thought we could win the Super Bowl.

Now, we read things like winning 7 games would be acceptable because the team is trending downward. LMAO.........and it comes from guys who were constantly talking up the analytics guys and bad-mouthing Dorsey. But yeah, they are "fair." wink

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ...Depodesta inherits a 2018/19 team averaging 6.5 wins per year, the 2020 goal, THE PLAYOFFS!

Link Copied to Clipboard