Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1730370 02/10/20 05:41 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Because of his contract status, there is a lot of talk about Schobert. Will he stay?, how will we replace him if they don't reach a deal?, etc.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I thought Wilson looked pretty good for an under-aged rookie, and I expect that with a full year and off-season, he will be better this year.

Since I haven't seen any more experienced talent evaluators around here give their opinions, I'm asking for them now. How good are we expecting Mack Wilson to be this year and going forward?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

I am a big Schobert fan and I want the Browns to sign him.

Wilson IMO had a good start. But we need a veteran back there and Schobert is that guy.

A lot depends on how Woods plans to play. Taki and Wilson and no veteran would make me nervous.

Wilson reacts well once he gets his read but at times seems to be lost.

He has good length. Plays hard. He does seem to shed blocks pretty well. He is able to take his drops and cover.

He was a good draft pick where we got him and I expect him to improve and be a solid player.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If you don't keep homegrown talent like Schobert, who do you keep? I think a reasonable deal is in the Browns best interest.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought Wilson flashed at certain spots over the course of the season but still think he has a ways to go. Not sure of the playing time he will get if Schobert is sign and if the team decides to keep Kirksey.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
If you don't keep homegrown talent like Schobert, who do you keep? I think a reasonable deal is in the Browns best interest.

Every new FO that we've hired in January is faced with the same uphill battle, whether the pending FA is homegrown or not. Once the season is over and the player hits that new year, the market becomes more and more enticing to test and see where they stand re: value. Perhaps it is even more enticing for the agent who is also whispering in his ear and would like that big pay day as well.

The perfect scenario would have been to extend him some point last year to a reasonable deal, but according to reports, from what I recall, that was not even considered.

I guess the fall back would go to Mack and a couple other younger guys and possibly Kirksey, but even if Berry was part of the group that drafted Joe, I think with FA just around the corner it makes it more difficult to get something locked in, IMO. Although, it has happened before just before FA. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised because I'd like Joe to stay long-term.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
We didn't extend Schobert because Dorsey wasn't all that high on the guy.

I think Berry will want to sign him, but with FA here you never know what another team might offer him. I guess it will boil down to what we are willing to spend v what some other team is willing to spend.

I like Schobert, but he isn't all that great, especially against the run.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Mack was one of the worst rated LB in the NFL last year, he's not a schobert replacement by any stretch.. Mack played way more than he should have. He's going to be better this year for sure, but if you're hitching your wagon to him as a reason to allowing Schobert to walk then we are going to be in a bad way. I don't think schobert will get as much as he thinks..hes just average overall. LB's hurt last year.. I think we address both FA/draft. I think if the price is ok you bring back Joe. He's a team guy and after last year, its obvious we need more of those guys

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Ballpeen #1730389 02/10/20 09:42 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I liked what I saw from Wilson in flashes - especially in coverage. I thought as a LB his coverage and athleticism was very good. In stopping the run he definitely looked lost on many occasions. Hoping for a big step forward with the time he was given to play.

Schobert is interesting as I think he's very good - but he doesn't always get high grades. But if he is the glue and leader for the D - it would be very important to retain him. I hope we do.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Because of his contract status, there is a lot of talk about Schobert. Will he stay?, how will we replace him if they don't reach a deal?, etc.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I thought Wilson looked pretty good for an under-aged rookie, and I expect that with a full year and off-season, he will be better this year.

Since I haven't seen any more experienced talent evaluators around here give their opinions, I'm asking for them now. How good are we expecting Mack Wilson to be this year and going forward?

Just a guess, but I bet you that our new DC will want us to keep him

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wilson was a steal. He'll only get better., I don't want to lose Shobert, but Cap Space hints at Wilson and Taki-Taki being the future.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
According to PFF Mack Wilson was one of the worst linebackers in the league. With that said, he was a fifth round pick that was forced into playing time because of injury. I would not write him off. Given a full off-season with the team I expect him to improve dramatically.

CalDawg #1730433 02/10/20 11:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Wilson gives us value for the future, worth keeping and developing to see how far he goes improving. Schobert's worth is immediate, player-coach type. We need yhat available. We can't bring in anybody to match that if he goes. But a reasonable one or two year contract seems fair. Dorsey wouldn't, but these guys should. JMO

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
J/c
Realistically Wilson should not have seen the field half as much as he was forced to. He should be a ST/replacement type LB. He probably played well considering. But I wouldn’t bank on him to be a good starter

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mack Wilson is soft right now in his career. Joe Mixon absolutely ate his lunch this season. He is more "Box Safety" than he is linebacker. He is listed as 240, there is absolutely no way that is true.

He is above average NFL player against the pass and as a late round rookie.....that is OUTSTANDING.

He is below a replacement level player against the run. Just absolutely awful against the run.

Time will tell, but if he can improve to an average NFL run stopper, he can be a quality starter for a while. If he cannot, he is Barkivious Mingo, too weak to play full time and will need to carve out special teams roles.

Bard Dawg #1730446 02/10/20 12:15 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
IMO, Schobert is not a good run stopping ML. Schobert is all over the field, defending passes and making tackles on the outside and downfield at times.

Mack Wilson might be better suited to play ML. Wilson did not have the horrible years some seem to suggest. Wilson ranked 59th in total tackles, against all his competition, regardless of experience and position.

Among all the 2019 rookies, Wilson ranked 6th.

That will be up to the LB coaches to decide which LBs play inside or outside.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I think the sticking point is whose version of reasonable.

I also think the fact that CBA negotiations are ongoing is slowing down re-signings. If the players' percentage of overall revenue goes up, individual contracts would likely follow. Both sides have known this was coming. The increased uncertainty is giving most people involved pause. Do they add a game, do league minimums go up, do guarantees need to be put in escrow, etc- lots of things are up in the air.

I might try to sell Joe on a one year deal while that gets sorted. Plus, it would let us see how he fits with the new scheme/staff. Maybe offer the same number as he'd get with a transition offer sheet.

As far as Wilson, I'm not sure what to expect. I like what I'm seeing on his Twitter feed. Seems to have the right attitude (as long as he doesn't overdo it.) I'd feel more confident if we had Pagac instead of Tarver as LB coach. How fast can he pick up the new scheme? He has nice tools.

Kirksey is due for a healthy year, too. I know he's had bad injury luck the past 2 seasons, but torn pecs are pretty rare and random. He was a tackling machine in '16 (3rd in NFL in tackles) and '17 (4th). A pec shouldn't effect explosiveness/athletecism. He'd played all 16 games his first 4 years in the league.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
if we don't resign Schobert... I have no faith in the regime.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think one has to consider the circumstances. Unless you have long standing ties to Ohio, why would a player want to stay here? Let's be realistic. Schobert will be on his third HC since he was drafted. A new HC and DC who have never had any experience at their respective jobs.

People can say what they like, but the fact is that if you are a successful player, why wouldn't you test the FA market? People may sign a "hometown discount" or a " reasonable contract" if they are tied to a coach or a system which has brought success. They may see a move as a risk if those circumstances exist. But that's not the case here.

I think the odds would be against Schobert not testing the FA market. I don't believe anything that was going on here last season, or even since he was drafted here would have caused him to sign a long term deal to stay before testing his options.

I'm not sure what the plan will be to replace him. I do not however see it being Mack or Takitaki. They may develop more but I've seen nothing to indicate they're ready for prime time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #1730471 02/10/20 01:24 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
IMO, Schobert is not a good run stopping ML. Schobert is all over the field, defending passes and making tackles on the outside and downfield at times.

Mack Wilson might be better suited to play ML. Wilson did not have the horrible years some seem to suggest. Wilson ranked 59th in total tackles, against all his competition, regardless of experience and position.

Among all the 2019 rookies, Wilson ranked 6th.

That will be up to the LB coaches to decide which LBs play inside or outside.

meanwhile, Schobert ranked (compared to all other LB's):

9th in total tackles
10th in total tackles overall
4th in individual tackles
17th in assisted tackles
2nd in Ints
17th in Forced Fumbles

He has ranked top 10 in tackles in 2 of his 4 seasons.
- would have been 3 if he had not been injured.

He is really smart and the quarterback of the defense. Why in the heck wouldn't we pay the man?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
He is really smart and the quarterback of the defense. Why in the heck wouldn't we pay the man?

I agree he is smart and the leader of the defense. I think the one big knock I would put on him is he is not the most athletic LB in the world. I think when guys like Garrett, Vernon, Kirksey went down/suspended, it did expose Schobert's lack thereof at times.
Still, I try to keep him.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Price tag matters. I think I sign Schobert to a contract similar to Jamie Collins a few years ago. He'll be solid for us for a couple of years until we can find someone better. Then we have the option of trading or cutting him. I don't know that he'll ever be an "elite" LB, but we could do far worse.

Damanshot #1730492 02/10/20 02:17 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Just a guess, but I bet you that our new DC will want us to keep him

He may, and I want that

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Schobert has better stats in all areas you mention but that does not make him a run stopping ML.

Like it or not, the Browns rank as one of the worst teams in the NFL in RUSH DEFENSE...giving up 5.0 yds per carry/145 yds per game.

One of the main responsibilities of the ML is to stop the run. At times Schobert has trouble shedding blockers and getting to the ball carrier, leaving holes in the run defense.

Just what the Browns do to solve their defensive problem, stopping the run...it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

mac #1730586 02/10/20 05:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Schobert was the "MLB", but he did not always l;ine up as a traditional MLB. We were often in a 4-2-5 alignment, which moved Schobert in or out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I like Schobert, but I don't think he's worth any big money. If Wilson got as many reps as Show did, I don't think there would be any drop in production.

Obviously, we're keeping Wilson and Taki. FO will essentially need to make a decision on picking either Show or Kirko to give some kind of money to. My nod goes to Kirko.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
if we don't resign Schobert... I have no faith in the regime.

What about the old regime that had a whole off-season and season to sign him and didn’t? At this point no player should re-sign. Free agency is a month away. Test the market.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I'm honestly just perplexed.

we have a top 10 LB( vs all inside and out) and we are complaining that he isn't good enough.

It's like complaining that we have Keenan Allan, Deandre Hopkins or Amari Cooper on a rookie contract and we really would like to get rid of them to find the next Larry Fitz, AJ Green, or Julio Jones.

ya'll are slightly crazy. lol

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
For the record, I was not suggesting a choice between Schobert or Mack. I was simply asking for opinions on Mack.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
we have a top 10 LB( vs all inside and out) and we are complaining that he isn't good enough.

Is he really top ten though?

Bobby Wagner, Devin Bush, Deion Jones, Roquan Smith, Demario Davis, Shaq Thompson, Kwon Alexander, Eric Kendricks, Darius Leonard, Devin White.

I'm taking all of those guys over Schobert. And I would still re-sign him. But let's not overrate a guy just because we like him.

cfrs15 #1730677 02/11/20 01:36 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Is he really top ten though?

Bobby Wagner, Devin Bush, Deion Jones, Roquan Smith, Demario Davis, Shaq Thompson, Kwon Alexander, Eric Kendricks, Darius Leonard, Devin White.

I'm taking all of those guys over Schobert. And I would still re-sign him. But let's not overrate a guy just because we like him.

well, numbers... which one of these stands out?

Schobert 133 tackles 89 solo 2 sacks 2 ff 4 ints

Devin Bush 109 tackles 72 solo 1 sacks 1 ff 2 ints
Deion Jones 110 tackles 68 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 1 INT
Roquan Smith 101 tackles 66 solo 2 sacks 0 FF 1 INT
Demario Davis 111 tackles 87 solo 4 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Shaq Thompson 109 tackles 75 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Kwon Alexander 109 tackles 75 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Eric Kendricks 110 tackles 70 solo.5 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Darius Leonard 121 tackles 71 solo 5 sacks 2 FF 5 INT
Devin White(rook) 91 tackles 58 solo2.5sacks 3 FF 1 INT

that took way too long to type and lookup everyone's stats LOL

I'm confident Schobert can beat out multiple people on that list.

Last edited by superbowldogg; 02/11/20 01:37 AM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think you are overrating the tackle stat.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
well, numbers... which one of these stands out?

Schobert 133 tackles 89 solo 2 sacks 2 ff 4 ints

Devin Bush 109 tackles 72 solo 1 sacks 1 ff 2 ints
Deion Jones 110 tackles 68 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 1 INT
Roquan Smith 101 tackles 66 solo 2 sacks 0 FF 1 INT
Demario Davis 111 tackles 87 solo 4 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Shaq Thompson 109 tackles 75 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Kwon Alexander 109 tackles 75 solo 0 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Eric Kendricks 110 tackles 70 solo.5 sacks 0 FF 0 INT
Darius Leonard 121 tackles 71 solo 5 sacks 2 FF 5 INT
Devin White(rook) 91 tackles 58 solo2.5sacks 3 FF 1 INT

You know what number would also stand out that you did not include? Snap counts.

Schobert was on the field for almost 100% of the defensive plays. Most of those other names were in the vicinity of 85%. I looked them up but didn't have the capacity to post them. No one on that list was really even close to the playing time of Schobert.

I love Schobert as much as the next guy and I'd very much enjoy it if he stays but we shouldn't get carried away. He's a great player, but there are better.

devicedawg #1730711 02/11/20 09:42 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If we were simply analyzing a category that deals with "run stopping", I wonder where Schobert would rank?

Mack Wilson will get better and might help the Browns defense if he is a good-excellent run stopper. Gotta play him to find out...

The Browns defense ranks #30 in the NFL at stopping the run and the ML is a key element in the area of stopping the run. The Browns do need some upgrading on the DLine and better coaching to improve their run stopping capability.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While he has a lot of tackles, Schobert's also been near the league "lead" in missed tackles multiple years.

link

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
mac #1730716 02/11/20 09:56 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I like Mack (the linebacker) . He just wasn't very good.

Last edited by devicedawg; 02/11/20 09:56 AM.
devicedawg #1730726 02/11/20 10:40 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Joe’s rookie year was sensational ... what were your thoughts on him after his rookie year ...

Just curious .... did Joe come out a year earlier than he should have? .... let me guess, that’s irrelevant ... rofl ....

mac #1730732 02/11/20 11:18 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
If we were simply analyzing a category that deals with "run stopping", I wonder where Schobert would rank?

Mack Wilson will get better and might help the Browns defense if he is a good-excellent run stopper. Gotta play him to find out...

PFF Grading scale:
100-90 elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 starter
69-60 backup
59-0 replaceable.

2019 Joe Schobert Overall PFF Grade: 59.1

2019 Joe Schobert Run Defense Grade: 47.1

2019 Mack Wilson Overall PFF Grade: 42.9

2019 Mack Wilson Run Defense Grade: 41.7

Milk Man #1730740 02/11/20 11:56 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

PFF Grading scale:
100-90 elite
89-85 Pro Bowler
84-70 starter
69-60 backup
59-0 replaceable.

2019 Joe Schobert Overall PFF Grade: 59.1

2019 Joe Schobert Run Defense Grade: 47.1

2019 Mack Wilson Overall PFF Grade: 42.9

2019 Mack Wilson Run Defense Grade: 41.7

Mildman...Good info, thanks...

Mack Wilson is just a rookie who will get better with experience. With 4 years of experience, Schobert improved to a replaceable/backup ranking of 59.

No way I'm saying Schobert needs to go, just that he might be playing out of position as a ML. Not sure where he might be better suited to play, but hopefully the analytics guys recognize his ability to be all over the field.

Get Schobert signed !!

Milk Man #1730745 02/11/20 12:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Scho is definitely not Backup level, so I cannot agree with that rating, BUT he can be improved upon. Still... until you have better, you keep what you have. Mack is NOT an adequate replacement. Mack flashes, but in no way do I feel he has shown is is ready, or capable, of starting at a high level.

I advocate not only resigning Scho, but also drafting a LB in the first three rounds.

Our new OC has plenty of toys, and once we get him some quality Tackles, I feel that the rest of Free Agency and the Draft should be focused on getting the new DC some better toys.... and I would not be averse to us drafting Malik Harrison for this.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mack Wilson

Link Copied to Clipboard