M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Adios lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Former No. 1 pick tells Joe Burrow to 'pull an Eli Manning' and refuse to play for Bengals
Yahoo Sports Chris Cwik,Yahoo Sports 19 hours ago

By all accounts, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow looks like he’ll be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft. Burrow is coming off a tremendous senior season, and the Cincinnati Bengals are desperate for a franchise quarterback.

That’s been a common refrain for the franchise since its inception. Sure, the Bengals have gone to the playoffs and even appeared in a couple Super Bowl, but the team rarely enters a season with championship aspirations. It’s more likely to contend for the No. 1 overall pick.

Because of that, one former No. 1 overall pick thinks Burrow should “pull an Eli Manning” and refuse to play for the Bengals. Prior to the 2004 NFL draft, Manning told the San Diego Chargers he would not play for the franchise. He was instead traded to the New York Giants on draft day.

Steve Bartkowski, who was selected first overall by the Atlanta Falcons in 1975, thinks Burrow should follow in Manning’s footsteps. While speaking at the Davey O’Brien Legends Award ceremony, Bartkowski told Burrow to avoid the Bengals, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

“They’re Ohio guys,” Bartkowski said. “I might’ve offended them by telling them that, if it’s the Bengals, I think I’d pull an Eli Manning on that one. I said, you’ve got a chance to do that. That’s happened. [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego.”
Bartkowski, 67, added that the Bengals are “not the best organization.” He said he knows what it’s like to play for a “bottom-feeder team,” and stressed how much he got beat up during his first few years with the Falcons.

The 23-year-old Burrow — who went to high school in Ohio — hasn’t definitively ruled out the Bengals yet, though there’s speculation he could “pull an Eli” before the draft. Some have pointed out that Burrow will do his pre-draft work with Jordan Palmer. Palmer’s brother, Carson, was the No. 1 overall pick by the Bengals in 2003. While Carson Palmer had some excellent seasons with the franchise, he left after a disagreement with the organization.

Even if Burrow tells the Bengals he won’t sign, the team can still draft him anyway. The Los Angeles Chargers — then the San Diego Chargers — did just that with Manning. The team then traded Manning to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers and picks. That deal benefitted both teams, though the Giants got two Super Bowl rings out of it and the Chargers came up empty. If Burrow refuses to play for the Bengals, the team may have to take the same path.

That might be for the best. A trade not only allows the Bengals to get something out of the No. 1 overall pick, but it helps lessen the embarrassment of the top player in the draft turning them down.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-no-1...-204902386.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I don't think this will matter much for the Browns.. I'm "guessing" they had no intention of keeping him anyway.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Burrow is from Athens. I have never heard if he grew up a Bengals, Browns or Steelers fan, all I have heard is that he hates Skyline Chili, a Cincinnati favorite rofl. Townies ( OU talk for Athens locals ) have always been pretty evenly divided between all 3 teams.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is from the locked thread:

Quote:

Goodness. I thought teams were not allowed to sign players right now?

He was released, I believe. The players whose contracts are expiring are the ones off limits for now. Those 4 guys we just released, they can be signed right now.

I know that, Cap. It was a spoof on all the guys who were making fun of other posters w/lower-level sarcasm.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m interested to see what happens with Brady and Rivers

I'm half-joking when I say ... watch New England sign Rivers so that that can get a veteran 4 years younger than Brady, still pretty good, and hungry to win a Super Bowl ... so that Belichick can put to rest who was the one that won all those championships for New England.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Oops!....

That makes the decision to replace him easier..like 100% sure.

Robinson blocked like he was smoked up...he probably was.

Question: is this incident more of a reflection upon the 2019 team, with others on our team involved?...

...for example, maybe Avery, maybe Hunt...these two just as an example and nothing more.

Did the Browns have a MJ problem in 2019?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
Oops!....

Question: is this incident more of a reflection upon the 2019 team, with others on our team involved?...

...for example, maybe Avery, maybe Hunt...these two just as an example and nothing more.

Well, we know of 3 who did in Robinson, Calloway, and Hunt. Did Avery as well?

We did seem to lack discipline and possibly is was institutional? I am not blaming Dorsey, but he did take chances on players with transgressions. I applaud him for that when it works. I don't blame him when not, but you end up with guys like this.

I don't know how much pot the guy had, but when you are arrested at the border by border patrol and they say it is a large quantity, they have seen large quantities. It doesn't sound like a few baggies, or even a few lbs.

We weren't going to sign him anyway. One less player to discuss. This makes cutting him pretty simple.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
We did seem to lack discipline and possibly is was institutional? I am not blaming Dorsey, but he did take chances on players with transgressions. I applaud him for that when it works. I don't blame him when not, but you end up with guys like this.

Guys like Robinson, Callaway or Manziel...who was responsible for Manziel?

Yea, the Browns have been known to dismiss character issues and paying a price. Then again, it is up to the individual to make the most of his opportunity. I'm sure there are cases of guys turning their lives around and becoming good nfl players.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Well, we know of 3 who did in Robinson, Calloway, and Hunt. Did Avery as well?s

Josh Gordon says: "Hold my bong."

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Guys like Robinson, Callaway or Manziel...who was responsible for Manziel?

Yea, the Browns have been known to dismiss character issues and paying a price. Then again, it is up to the individual to make the most of his opportunity. I'm sure there are cases of guys turning their lives around and becoming good nfl players.

No doubt. As I said before, I am not pointing fingers. Just expounding on your comment. Everything doesn't have to be about taking sides. We are all on the same side. As for Manziel, Farmer is on record saying he selected him. I can just go by what he said, but I do understand that Jimmy may have had some sway.

I was thrilled when Dorsey took Callaway. I knew he was a egg head, but knew he was a pretty darn good player. Using a 4th was a good gamble. I just didn't work.

It just seemed that we lacked discipline, and that doesn't just start with the head coach. Or maybe I should say doesn't always. It can be a simple coaching problem. If the GM keeps bringing in undisciplined players, coach is going to have a hard time.

That is my only point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Well, we know of 3 who did in Robinson, Calloway, and Hunt. Did Avery as well?s

Josh Gordon says: "Hold my bong."

Lol. I’ll give you a star for that one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m interested to see what happens with Brady and Rivers

I'm half-joking when I say ... watch New England sign Rivers so that that can get a veteran 4 years younger than Brady, still pretty good, and hungry to win a Super Bowl ... so that Belichick can put to rest who was the one that won all those championships for New England.

If he would take low pay that would be amazing. Patriots would be nearly unstoppable (I guess they are already but even moreso) with a top tier QB. Brady has been very smart taking less $ to stay on the team and be surrounded by weapons, but if they ever manage to get a top 5 QB and still keep the rest of their roster I don't see how they lose a game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks dawg. smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

This is from the locked thread:

Quote:

Goodness. I thought teams were not allowed to sign players right now?

He was released, I believe. The players whose contracts are expiring are the ones off limits for now. Those 4 guys we just released, they can be signed right now.

I know that, Cap. It was a spoof on all the guys who were making fun of other posters w/lower-level sarcasm.

Totally missed that. My bad. Age getting to me.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't know how much pot the guy had, but when you are arrested at the border by border patrol and they say it is a large quantity, they have seen large quantities. It doesn't sound like a few baggies, or even a few lbs.

157 pounds. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:

157 pounds. crazy

That is really not that much.

Legend
Legend
That's about the size of my ass.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

157 pounds. crazy

That is really not that much.

It is when it is in your car. It's not if being brought in on a container ship.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Just my observations... this was massively stupid on Robinson's part.

Obviously, there is a difference between personal use and international smuggling for distribution.

Classic criminal thinking error.

Unless you have access to a tunnel drug smuggling is done through bribery at ports of entry. If not, then by drug mules on foot with only as much weight as they can carry. He would have been exposed to fewer risks if he had just purchased the weed on this side of the border.

His Browns contract last year paid him 6 million, right? Even if somehow he only cleared one or two million buy a car wash or a beauty salon or a cell phone franchise. Don't become a DIY drug smuggler.

Last edited by guard dawg; 02/20/20 08:34 AM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
If he was caught driving Josh's car he COULD argue personal use....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

157 pounds. crazy

He must have a serious case of glaucoma.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Oops!....

Well, we know of 3 who did in Robinson, Calloway, and Hunt. Did Avery as well?

We weren't going to sign him anyway. One less player to discuss. This makes cutting him pretty simple.

Look, I'm all for blaming Kitchens for anything remotely related to locker room and culture issues... but 150+ lbs of weed is bigger than running a football team. Robinson is dumb, Kitchens and the Browns had nothing to do with this.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Quote:

157 pounds. crazy

He must have a serious case of glaucoma.

It could explain the holding calls ...

Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I just wonder how much volume 157# of pot takes up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I just wonder how much volume 157# of pot takes up.

Remember those 50 lb. "square" hay bales (of which I hauled thousands back in my youth). Think "3" of those...just my guess 'cause I THNK they might be comparable.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C:

Conklin in FA, their favorite LT in the draft? That would be mighty nice. Good ask for too much, though.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Greg Robinson allegedly had 157 pounds of marijuana, facing 20 years in prison

Larry Brown Sports 9 hrs ago
link

Former No. 2 overall draft pick Greg Robinson was arrested at the U.S./Mexico border on Monday for having marijuana with him at a checkpoint. And we’re not talking about just a joint.

A press release from the Department of Justice says Robinson had 156.9 pounds of marijuana in his car when he was stopped.

According to the DOJ’s release, Robinson and his former Auburn teammate, Quan Bray, and a third man were approached at the Sierra Blanca Checkpoint Station. A canine unit smelled something in the car, which led to an inspection that revealed nearly 157 pounds of marijuana in several vacuum-sealed bags inside several duffel bags in the rear cargo area of their car.

TMZ says border patrol also found 23 mason jars, a can-sealing machine, an electronic scale, and $3,100 in cash in Bray’s jeans.

Robinson allegedly rented the 2020 Chevy Tahoe they were driving in Los Angeles on Sunday and began driving with Bray and a third person. The third person is an Uber driver Robinson met in 2018.

Bray switched with Robinson and began driving in El Paso. As they approached secondary inspection at the Sierra Blanca checkpoint, Robinson allegedly asked the third person to claim the drugs as his and take the fall. The third person said no and supposedly said they would not have gone along if they knew drugs were in the car.

Bray and Robinson face 20 years in prison if convicted.

Robinson was the No. 2 overall pick by the Rams in 2014. He spent three seasons with the Rams before being traded to the Detroit Lions in 2017, and he wound up with the Browns after that. He had missed just one game with Cleveland over the past two seasons. Bray played in 24 career games over three seasons for the Colts.

M
Legend
Legend
M
bruh....

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
J/C:

Conklin in FA, their favorite LT in the draft? That would be mighty nice. Good ask for too much, though.

Are we sure Conklin is a fit in the wide zone scheme?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think he has done that in TEN the past couple of years but I could be mistaken.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think he has done that in TEN the past couple of years but I could be mistaken.

That's the system they've run but is he a good fit? I don't know. He's going to cost a ton in free agency.

Legend
Legend
I'd absolutely go hard after Conklin, and then I'd also throw a big fully guaranteed one-year deal at Andrew Whitworth while being upfront that we're drafting a LT and he may end up a swing guy depending on how the rookie progresses. Worst case, the rookie is a backup all season.
Then, I'd consider throwing some money at Ereck Flowers while also drafting an OG.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
"TMZ says border patrol also found 23 mason jars, a can-sealing machine, an electronic scale, and $3,100 in cash in Bray’s jeans."

Cargo pants?

:-p

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That's the system they've run but is he a good fit? I don't know. He's going to cost a ton in free agency.

He will cost a ton in FA, no doubt. From PFF, just one source:

Quote:
21. T JACK CONKLIN
Conklin is the best right tackle on the market, and he’s coming off a regular season which he finished 12th overall among tackles in PFF grade (78.3) and fifth in run-blocking grade (81.0). Conklin has some issues in pass protection, as his pass-blocking grade ranks just 49th on true pass sets over the last two seasons, and he’s on the higher end among offensive tackles receiving help (double teams, chip blocks, etc). Still, Conklin is a versatile run blocker who finished with the No. 6 grade on zone runs and the No. 14 mark on gap runs. He’s been one of the better right tackles in the league since being drafted in the first round in 2016.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020

Overall, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good, young RT candidates just finishing up with their first contract. So teams might overspend as a result? Who knows.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
"TMZ says border patrol also found 23 mason jars, a can-sealing machine, an electronic scale, and $3,100 in cash in Bray’s jeans."

Cargo pants?

MC Hammer cargo pants.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Cargo pants?

MC Hammer cargo pants.

Well, he definitely got to experience "STOP. Hammer Time!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player Movement, Off Season Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard