Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
On coaches? No.

OL play? I would hope so.

I remember him saying Shon Coleman was the best right tackle in the league. He also said Greg Robinson "could" be a Pro Bowl left tackle. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Legend
Legend

Joe's comments of course will be noted.

Becton will most likely be gone. I like Thomas he plays with attitude and is good in the run game as well as pass protection.

Joe knows best.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I heard on the radio that Wirfs is a Right Tackle - is that correct? Actually, so is Jedrick Wills, but he was protecting a left-handed QB's blind side. How hard is the switch to the left side for a right tackle - I don't want a project at LT, especially at #10.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Pumping up his teammates?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Pumping up his teammates?

Probably with Coleman. The Robinson comment was in the 2019 off-season.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
The next time you're feeling amorous,use your left hand.
Unless you are ambidextrous,that will give you a sense of the difficulty involved.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
use your left hand.

A guy I work with calls that "the stranger".

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh my. LOL

Legend
Legend
ooo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Joe Thomas was on Cleveland Browns Daily today and discussed the OT prospects.

He sees Wirfs as a guy who will likely start out as a guard in the NFL before transitioning to tackle. Cites lack of hip mobility (he explains in detail based on combine numbers on the audio link).

Likes Becton the best, Andrew Thomas next, Wills Jr. third, Wirfs 4th. Says Wirfs might go first of the OL in any other typical draft class.

Here's the audio, begins at the 1hr and 1 minute mark.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/audio/cleveland-browns-daily-3-4-2020

Are we sure we should trust anything Joe Thomas says?

I trust Joe Thomas more when he comments on O-Lineman. When Corbett was drafted, he came out and said, "I can say confidently, Austin Corbett is not a tackle in the NFL, he's a guard."

He didn't say Wirfs can't play OT, just he believes he'll start his career out as a guard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
I heard on the radio that Wirfs is a Right Tackle - is that correct? Actually, so is Jedrick Wills, but he was protecting a left-handed QB's blind side. How hard is the switch to the left side for a right tackle - I don't want a project at LT, especially at #10.

I think it depends on the individual. Some people are just "ambidextrous."

It's also a bit like Van Pelt changing Baker's footwork. It'll probably be some new techniques to get used to no matter which side they end up on just going from college to pros and a new system, but with reps and focus should be able to get used to it. (This is assuming they have the requisite athletecism to stay at OT on either side)

Still Trent Williams at LT and Wills at RT is sounding pretty good to me. Assuming they don't go for higher picks of course.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
use your left hand.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Good news. It appears like at least 2 of them should be there for us too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are getting neither. Probably not even getting Wills.

Looks like Thomas.

D
Legend
Legend
D

I just heard Daniel Jeremiah on 92.3 The Fan saying that watching Wirfs' workout at the Combine convinced him that Wirfs has "Left Tackle feet" and that he could successfully move to LT.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Watch out for the talking heads making projections about position changes. Taking a pick at #10 you are counting on changing positions doesn't seem like a good investment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

I just heard Daniel Jeremiah on 92.3 The Fan saying that watching Wirfs' workout at the Combine convinced him that Wirfs has "Left Tackle feet" and that he could successfully move to LT.

Wirfs did play some LT last year. He played 161 snaps at the LT position. He played 693 snaps at RT for comparison.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, he filled in on a temporary basis due to injury.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, he filled in on a temporary basis due to injury.

So, who is the guy he couldn't beat for LT?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
use your left hand.

Great exchange of posts!!

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
use your left hand.

Everyone knows the stranger is when you sit on your hand until it falls asleep.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Anyway......Mekhi Becton caught my eye at the Combine. I haven't been following the draft very closely.

Any thoughts on him?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Alaric Jackson. He was injured early in the season in the game against Miami of Ohio.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That's the guy we gotta get!

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Anyway......Mekhi Becton caught my eye at the Combine. I haven't been following the draft very closely.

Any thoughts on him?

My only concern is his weight at 350 lbs. The guy is what, 22-23?

What is he going to be like when a millionaire and enters middle age spread at age 27?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's my concern with him as well.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
That's the guy we gotta get!

I don't know about all that but it is a cautionary tale of why you can't project a RT transitioning to LT at the next level.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I would take Wills. He was the number one at one point. But he is a solid player and has performed very good. Plug and play guy.

I like Becton's size though, and he can move even though he is that big.

I don't think you can miss with any of them, but Wirfs would be an awesome guard.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying to not draft these guys, but there is no such thing as a "safe" OL draft choice anymore. The college game make it really hard to evaluate how they will transition to the NFL. The OL has become very similar to the QB position in that regard.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I think there are 4 really good tackles in this draft worthy of the #10 spot in the draft. Before the combine I think their ranking was 1) Andrew Thomas, 2) Jedrick Wills, 3) Trsiton Wirfs, 4) Mecki Becton. After the combine it seems the ranking has now changed to 1) Mecki Becton, 2) Triston Wirfs, 3) Jedrick Wills, 4) Andrew Thomas.

I thing Thomas seems to be the purest Left Tackle of the group. He has great film, and was a steady producer at that position. Just did not WOW anyone at the combine. Mecki Becton played left tackle in college and was starting to climb in the rankings before the combine and then showed he is a tremndous athlete at 365 pounds. Wills and Wirfs probably are the two best tackles in the draft but both played right tackle in college.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not saying to not draft these guys, but there is no such thing as a "safe" OL draft choice anymore. The college game make it really hard to evaluate how they will transition to the NFL. The OL has become very similar to the QB position in that regard.

That's one reason why I prefer Wirfs. He comes out of a "pro style" offense that runs a wide zone scheme.

(It's also why I preferred Josh Rosen. I am always right.)

Legend
Legend
Good point guys ... the OL has changed in college and it has made it tougher to predict how player will transfer/progress.

I didn’t realize that’s bout Becton, so it makes him move up in my mind

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
To me he is a top 10 pick. All the others are a reach at 10 IMO.

I rather stick to the board and grab a tackle or guard in round 2.

It's not like we don't have 4-5 positions of need

On O we need a tackle and guard. Even say 2 tackles and a guard.

On D we need 2lbs, a Dt, a DE, and a safety. The D needs more of a upgrade over the O. Heck, maybe 2 DT's. Larry has gone down hill since a promising rookie season. He is light in the hips. He is fairly easy to push around in the run game.

There is a reason why teams run up the middle on us and get 5 yard gash plays and we are in 2nd and 4-5 a lot. It's hard to force a 3 and out in that position.

We need to go heavy on a OT and guard in FA, then go heavy on D in the draft.

JMO, rookie defenders have a easier transition to the NFL. Just read, react, and get to the football.

If you're missing a position on D, the rest of the squad should at least still survive.

If you're missing OL, you risk breaking your biggest investment.

Well, we had more QB's injured when we had all the superstars in the OL...

We only had one superstar OLman JOE THOMAS

You need 5 solid OL which would include a superstar LT cause of the skill set needed to be considered SOLID!

Does a team ever have 5 solid...yes, usually those going to the Conference championships. Doesn't mean they have to have the BEST at each position...just SOLID and work well together. Center is very important in that. Right now we are solid at 2 of the 5 positions. LG and C...The other 3 still have to be established...I see possibly 2 within the draft.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Taking Olinemen early or even moving up to get a great one is usually a no brainer mo.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
All Pro
All Pro
I'm starting to think I'm the only one who doesn't like Becton.

His technique is a train wreck. He locks on to one player and gets beat religiously by stunts. His pass sets are just plan ugly.

I do like that everyone is comparing him to Bryant McKinnie, though. He definitely sets his back foot way too far back in pure pass pro.

From Wikipedia:
"After a 2009 loss against the Arizona Cardinals, it was reported by Tony Boselli on the Dan Patrick show that McKinnie accidentally tipped off the Vikings offensive game plan to the Cardinals. He said that the Cardinals knew when the Vikings were going to pass because of his leg. "He would have one of his legs back a little bit further" when getting in stance before the play.[3]"

But...that's just my opinion...

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Can you explain what you don’t like about his technique specifically? Just curious b/c I’m clueless

All Pro
All Pro
His hand placement is almost always high and outside the framework of the defender.
He does not come off the guy he has decided to block before the snap. Oftentimes taking himself out of the play and, as mentioned, falling for stunts religiously.
He cheats his back foot in his pass sets noticeably giving away his exceedingly few pro sets.

In short, his technique and awareness.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
His hand placement is almost always high and outside the framework of the defender.
He does not come off the guy he has decided to block before the snap. Oftentimes taking himself out of the play and, as mentioned, falling for stunts religiously.
He cheats his back foot in his pass sets noticeably giving away his exceedingly few pro sets.

Not a big fan of Becton either, not saying he isn't able to learn the things you say he struggles with, especially with Callahan being his OL Coach. Still I would be Leary taking him at #10 because we need a first day starter at LT and he may take longer to develop than the others ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: RedBaron

Not a big fan of Becton either, not saying he isn't able to learn the things you say he struggles with, especially with Callahan being his OL Coach. Still I would be Leary taking him at #10 because we need a first day starter at LT and he may take longer to develop than the others ...

All of this has been part of my concerns with him all along. I've asked what he looked like during his season because the only thing people focus on is his hype video where he pancakes guys, but never got anything substantial.... thus me always comparing him to "Big Cakes".

I mean... Why was he not viewed as a top-tier tackle DURING the season? Instead, one video gets leaked and now he's suddenly jumped into the Top 10? Please.

All things considered, the guy is most likely just an athletic project who has gotten by this long simply by virtue of athleticism, strength, and size versus his competition and completely lacks all fundamentals to actually play the position well at the highest level.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Triston Wirfs/Mekhi Becton

Link Copied to Clipboard