Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173778 10/01/07 05:03 AM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
I know there are alot of posts about the D here.
I just could not find the appropriate one.
Was just wondering what your guys thoughts might be on the defensive problems we are having, especially on 3rd down.
Why is it we give up 3rd and long ,or even give up big plays on 3rd down and short to breath life into the other teams at the worst possible moment?
Is it a weak and predictable pass rush ( No push in the middle)?
Poor Secondary? ( Or just that they cannot cover for more than 5 seconds while the pass rush "waltz's" with the other teams o-line.)
Or maybe just that we run the same blitz package on 3rd down?
All I know is it drives me crazy to watch it happen week after week.
Seems we would win more if maybe we mix up the blitz packages more and do a better job of hiding our coverages.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
Legend
I think that when it hits 3rd down, they get a little antsy. They dont want to give up the first down, but at the same time, they dont want to get hit with the big play down the field either... Teams will take a shot down the field if they think the defense is playing up close to stop the 3rd and short.

We got a lot of young talent on the field, and with experience things will get better. I do know that the Ravens got over 100 rushing yards, but McGinest did help out a lot with the run.

Wonder who's idea it was to put Wimbley on the opposite side at LOLB, instead of keeping him at ROLB. They must of saw some weaknesses in his game at ROLB.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think our poor play comes from innexperience and lack of instincts. 3rd downs are generally given up by the secondary since they are passing plays. That and the fact that we have such trouble sometimes getting a pass rush and it can make it easy for teams to pick up the yards they need on us

Quote:

Wonder who's idea it was to put Wimbley on the opposite side at LOLB, instead of keeping him at ROLB. They must of saw some weaknesses in his game at ROLB.

May be he's left footed or right handed so that when he makes his little dip and duck drive toward the QB move he can push off with his right hand or drive in with his left foot? May be both?

Wimbley gets moved around a little too, I know against the Ravens yesterday I saw him line up on the same side as Peek to get a pass rush off on the other side. Too bad McNair read it and correctly passed it away

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
1st String
1st String
M
Actually I was happy to see some third down defenses this week. I saw us blitz one safty, both safteys, a corner, and corner and a saftey, and multiple looks from our linebackers. I was getting sick of seeing the same 4 man rush every third down.

Now we were not getting there most of the time, but the ball did come out a little quicker a few times. I think the more we do it the more we will start getting there. As somebody else said, just need a little experience.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Up until this week, it had a lot of do with no pressure coming. On third and long, you should almost always show pressure, and then bring it most of the time. The Browns picked a good game to do it because McNair was just awful, and they were forcing him into bad throws. It was a confidence builder.

I think another problem is that the pass rush package line is (left to right)

Peek-Fraser-Robaire Smith-Wimbley

I don't like Fraser in there as a pass rushing DT, but really they have no one else who can do it.

Oh yeah and I'm tired of waiting on McMillan to become the nickel rusher. It would take a load off of Peek or Wimbley.

Legend
Legend
You are absolutely correct. Last week, we couldn't even get a rush on McKown (who was so crippled he could hardly walk) or an old rusty Culpepper.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Raiders OL really gave them trouble. Barry Sims (one of the most underrated pass blocking LT's in the league) and Cornel Green really contained the edges. They just kept pushing them wide, and neither Peek or Wimbley came back inside (both really aren't that good at it).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In 25 words or less:

Our DL sucks ass.

Half of our LB corps would not start for most teams.

Our secondary is a beat up sieve.

No need to elaborate more than that, just watch the games.......we need help on the D side of the ball in the WORST way.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...or a favorable matchup for him on the other side.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gotta have some variety, although the Browns primarily play a left-right scheme, rather than a weak-strong.

One idea might have been to try to isolate Wimbley on a back or a TE. If they have someone who can occupy the RT and RG, and Wimbley can go against a RB or TE, you have to atleast explore the matchup.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 3rd down D scheme....

Link Copied to Clipboard