Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Haslem has no need of contraceptives ....... he just aborts everything.

But if he did use them, he wouldn't have to.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Just a quick answer

Every damn team in the NFL uses analytics. Sounds like you and your buddies think all NFL teams are wrong.

Only I never said or even hinted at any of that. My point is every GM and HC has "their guys". As you said, every team uses analytics. I'm pretty sure each has had an analytics team they have worked with in the past. I'm pretty sure they have people in mind to fill that role when they are hired. Just like they have other people to come in and fill coaching duties and FO duties.

An example. Berry comes in and both Highsmith and Wolf are gone. Stefanski comes in and the bulk of the coaching staff is overhauled. That's just how it works in the NFL.

So it seems that it's your contention that three HC's and three GM's all wanted to work with the same analytics guy without bringing their own people.

Now if you would actually like to discuss the points I made, please do. If not, stop accusing me of saying things I never said.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: mac
I think it's about time that Depo is held to same standard that others have been held to...in other words, Depo's job should be on the line if he can't get the Browns into the playoff hunt this season.

This will be Depo's 5 yr of playing Moneyball with the Browns...it is about time that he produce something...as the title of the thread hints.

Ok, then he needs to be able to make picks. He doesn't do that now. He needs to hire people. He doesn't do that now. At least people outside of his department.

It's obvious you don't get it.

Is Depo in the draft room?

Last edited by mac; 03/04/20 08:08 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
Maybe he's more than just a silly baseball guy and is actually a person of importance in the field of applied analytics and makes spot appearances?

I think we have had some decent conversations lately. I'm trying. But, I have never said anything closely resembling what you just said.

I really despise when folks misquote me and try and act like I am being unreasonable based on the misquote. I stopped speaking to several posters because they consistently resorted to such low-level tactics.

I have no problem w/you disagreeing w/my opinions and stating your own. But please..........debate fairly.

The conversation has been decent and I'm not trying to rock that boat either. My "silly baseball guy" isn't a quote. It's a composite of the general attitude of those who have questioned DePo's qualifications AND/OR misrepresented his contributions and motives AND/OR his dedication to creating a successful organization here.

I was simply using that in juxtaposition to my position that he is qualified to do what he does AND what he does is in demand across all sorts of fields as a possibleexplanation as to why he isn't in in Berea full time.

Trust me, I HATE trying to discuss things with people who purposefully misrepresent my position and assign motives to what I say that aren't accurate. As a rule I try not to do that to others.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
I think it's about time that Depo is held to same standard that others have been held to...in other words, Depo's job should be on the line if he can't get the Browns into the playoff hunt this season.

This will be Depo's 5 yr of playing Moneyball with the Browns...it is about time that he produce something...as the title of the thread hints.

Ok, then he needs to be able to make picks. He doesn't do that now. He needs to hire people. He doesn't do that now. At least people outside of his department.

I was in the draft room does that make me in charge notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

well .. your name is GM brownie

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

well .. your name is GM brownie
HE DID IT!!!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Try and get back in so we all know what Depo’s role is ... naughtydevil ...

I imagine lots of GUESTS are invited to the war room ... I’m pretty sure Depo isn’t there as a guest ... but i guess if u believe all he does is set up processes u may also believe he’s an invited guest ... thumbsup

And how many HC interviews have u sat in on ... wink ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I imagine lots of GUESTS are invited to the war room ... I’m pretty sure Depo isn’t there as a guest ... but i guess if u believe all he does is set up processes u may also believe he’s an invited guest ... thumbsup

I was not invited, I know what Depo's role is, I have seen it, heard it,and witnessed it. Thats why I get so mouthy about it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Zero, zip, nada lol

D
Legend
Legend
D
U weren’t invited .... how’d u get in? ...

And bro .. u can talk til your blue in the face ... u paint a picture of him solely setting up processes and being involved in nothing else .... and ACTIONS tell a different story .... guess we’ll be butting heads for awhile on this one .... thumbsup

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I believe GM is trying to tell you, without naming names, that he is involved, hence his screen name. In other words, he knows a lot more about things and what has happened than you and he knows the ACTIONS.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B

I hope so.

When you are on the clock, people are calling about trades etc. you want the guy pulling up the info on what players of similar stature are available, the chances they will be there when you get there, what kind of trade compensation has been given for similar trades, etc.

Damn right I hope he is in there.

Like I said, I understand you don't get it so as a old time poster who I have been talking to for maybe 20 years, I answer your stupid questions.

Depo lives in your head. That sheet will kill you or make you lose your mind. You really do need to step back.

You are like a engineer in the early 60's who scoffed at computers and decided to stick to the slide rule and pocket protector.

Slide rules worked well, but you don't find many who use them any more. I suppose modern day engineering students learning to be mechanical or process engineers still learn the slide rule in case the power goes out and they have a problem to figure out asap before the dam collapses.

How much quick set concrete do we need to stop the under dam breach?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
When in doubt.............resort to insults.

boo

B
Legend
Legend
B
When in doubt.............resort to insults.

boo

The thing is, I have no doubt about this.

I wasn't insulting him. I said as a old time poster I answer his questions, even in this case it stupid. We all as stupid questions.

Of course the guy is in the room. He is there not to make the picks. He is there to help the people making the picks.

I know you get it so I am a bit put off by the comment, but I can take it.

I'll just ask you, do YOU think Depo makes the picks?

I know last night you chastised Mac a bit that maybe he needs to seek a different angle.

I don't mind different opinions. I welcome them, but when it is the same message over and over and it is clearly nonsense, sorry, I finally say enough is enough.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I won't insult you by saying it's a "stupid" question. In fact, I will answer it.

No, I don't think he makes the picks? However, I do think he has a lot of power. I also know that he is making $2 million a year. For what? Doing nothing?

You and a couple of others are as far off as mac is.

One more thing, peen. Guys like you love jumping down mac's throat and making fun of him for his notions that are out there. Yet, you ignore all craziness that is posted on here daily by other posters. Dudes are saying things like Landry can't catch a pass over two yards and not one person challenges that statement.

Hell, one guy called Dorsey a bully and made some kind of comment comparing him to a gorilla. And you didn't.......

...........Wait. What?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I don't mind different opinions. I welcome them, but when it is the same message over and over and it is clearly nonsense, sorry, I finally say enough is enough.

LMAO...........Hue said to say "hello." rofl

Mirrors don't always offer a pretty picture.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I won't insult you by saying it's a "stupid" question. In fact, I will answer it.

No, I don't think he makes the picks? However, I do think he has a lot of power. I also know that he is making $2 million a year. For what? Doing nothing?

You and a couple of others are as far off as mac is.

One more thing, peen. Guys like you love jumping down mac's throat and making fun of him for his notions that are out there. Yet, you ignore all craziness that is posted on here daily by other posters. Dudes are saying things like Landry can't catch a pass over two yards and not one person challenges that statement.

Hell, one guy called Dorsey a bully and made some kind of comment comparing him to a gorilla. And you didn't.......

...........Wait. What?

I know I did. He was the gorilla in the room. I don't back away from that....it is a expression, kind of like bull in a china shop. That was his management style. That is how some people do it....it usually doesn't work, especially today.

I don't think I jump down Macs throat. I agree with him on many points he makes. He knows that. I do call out goofy takes.

I never said Depo didn't have power. Of course he does. He should in his position. I would be shocked if he didn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
You don't know that he was like that. It's a bunch of BS based off of one article and then folks who were still pining for the previous regime ran w/it.

I'll talk to you later, peen.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You don't know that he was like that. It's a bunch of BS based off of one article and then folks who were still pining for the previous regime ran w/it.

I'll talk to you later, peen.

Just like Seth Wickersham was one article...though I think it was a good article and probably fairly accurate.

I don't buy in to the pining thing. No more that any time a FO changes. Some are pining for John....I get it, I liked the guy but I don't think he would rate high in any employee survey.

Of course we will be talking. We are friends even if we irritate each other every now and then.

It's a message board, that happens. Got to keep talking to see it worked out to if nothing else to agree to disagree and move on to other topics.

It's like being brothers. You can keep hitting him or a poster in the same place, but when you know it is bruised and really hurts, you stop and find somewhere else if you care.

I hope that makes sense.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Analytics is just information. Information is only useful if the person interpreting the information knows what they are doing and can sift through the meaningful and meaningless information.

For Example, Corey Colemans SPARQ score was better than Beckham's. Anyone that knows football, which would exclude Sashi, knew Coleman was a clown. The information is only as good as the talent evaluator

Last edited by Browns2020; 03/04/20 10:02 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Browns2020
Analytics is just information. Information is only useful if the person interpreting the information knows what they are doing and can sift through the meaningful and meaningless information.

For Example, Corey Colemans SPARQ score was better than Beckham's. Anyone that knows football, which would exclude Sashi, knew Coleman was a clown. The information is only as good as the talent evaluator

Well it sure turned out that way. Sometimes the numbers lie and the scouts get it wrong. As I recall Coleman was highly rated by everybody.

That's just the way it goes. If there was a surefire method, no team would have a bust.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there were a lot of questions about the receivers that year. A lot of folks had Treadwell as the top guy. Some had Dotson. Some Coleman. I think Coleman got attention because he was the fastest. It turned out be a terrible WR draft class, sans one.

Michael Thomas, the league's top receiver, was in that class.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I think Analytics can help decide when your decision comes down to 2 players. The best way to pick players is to watch the games, and game film. That said, the people that are viewing have to know what they are looking at. 2 people can see the same footage and draw different conclusions on what they both just watched.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
When I evaluate what I see in a player, i look for speed, quickness, and if they played elite competition, how did they do. Thats why I loved Deshaun Watson in that Draft. He dominated Alabama 2 years in a row. Thats why I knew Shelton would be a joke. He was extremely slow off the ball, and showed no quickness. Cam Ervings OL coach said he didnt even like to work out, that would have immediately removed him from consideration in my book. Loved Derrick Henry from Bama over Elliot. Im not quite sure why it took the Titans so long to realize what they had in Derrick Henry. Corey coleman couldnt catch and all but 1 of his big games were against inferior competition

Last edited by Browns2020; 03/05/20 07:57 AM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Yep Thomas for sure is the best WR of that class.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Loved Kenny Golladay from N. Illinois in that Draft. His speed and hands were great.

Another factor is injuries. Is a player always injured? That generally doesnt change, thats why as good as Tua was, he is too injury prone for my taste. Can it change? Sure. But it generally doesnt.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Agreed no one has a 100% rate picking players. Im not a fan in general of players from the Big 12. Mahomes is the rare exception. I honestly do not know why that conference gets hyped as much as it does.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think there were a lot of questions about the receivers that year. A lot of folks had Treadwell as the top guy. Some had Dotson. Some Coleman. I think Coleman got attention because he was the fastest. It turned out be a terrible WR draft class, sans one.

Michael Thomas, the league's top receiver, was in that class.

Tyreek Hill and Tyler Boyd turned out alright, too.

Injuries killed Doctson and have hampered Will Fuller.

Doctson was my dude, but he hasn't been right since he messed up his Achilles. He just signed with the Jets. I hope he's finally fully healthy and can give the fans some highlights.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I just looked up the 2016 WR draft class. Here is a link. If you go the headings on top of the chart and click on Pos and then scroll all the way down, you will see all the WRs drafted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NFL_Draft

That was a pretty weak WR class. There were some names I forgot about.

I think it is a glaring example of just how bad that regime was at drafting.

Btw---Dorsey took Tyreek Hill and Damarcus Robinson after the Browns selected Ricardo Louis. Hell, Jordan Payton went before Hill.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Btw---Dorsey took Tyreek Hill and Damarcus Robinson after the Browns selected Ricardo Louis. Hell, Jordan Payton went before Hill.

Vers...good find...2016 draft.

Robinson was a 4th round pick #126
Hill was 5th round pick #165

Imo, the true test of a talent evaluator is finding those hidden gems in the later rounds, that other teams pass on.

C
Legend
Legend
C

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Hill was hardly a hidden gem. What he was was undraftable for most teams due to his off-field issues.

"Hill was projected to be undrafted during the 2016 NFL Draft, mainly due to his domestic violence arrest. Although he was not invited to the NFL combine, Hill was able to showcase his abilities at West Alabama's Pro Day. Scouts were mainly impressed with his speed and he received much praise for his workout.[20] Regardless of his workout, many teams had completely removed Hill from their draft boards, but his head coach from West Alabama maintained that at least 20 teams were still interested in him".

"General Manager John Dorsey had to receive consent from Chiefs' owner Clark Hunt to make the selection and says they thoroughly vetted the prospect which included speaking to the prosecutor that charged him. After drafting him, the Chiefs' held an impromptu press conference and addressed the issue to the media during the first day of rookie minicamp.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Yeah Tyler Boyd is really solid. Liked him out of Pitt

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Someone once said....

Quote:
Deception is something we should avoid.

I wonder what happened...

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Hill was hardly a hidden gem. What he was was undraftable for most teams due to his off-field issues.

"Hill was projected to be undrafted during the 2016 NFL Draft, mainly due to his domestic violence arrest. Although he was not invited to the NFL combine, Hill was able to showcase his abilities at West Alabama's Pro Day. Scouts were mainly impressed with his speed and he received much praise for his workout.[20] Regardless of his workout, many teams had completely removed Hill from their draft boards, but his head coach from West Alabama maintained that at least 20 teams were still interested in him".

"General Manager John Dorsey had to receive consent from Chiefs' owner Clark Hunt to make the selection and says they thoroughly vetted the prospect which included speaking to the prosecutor that charged him. After drafting him, the Chiefs' held an impromptu press conference and addressed the issue to the media during the first day of rookie minicamp.

Ham...regardless, the Chiefs took extra steps to check into Hill's background and obviously saw something in the young man that other teams did not.

Looking for "football talent" where ever it may be and taking the time to get as much information as possible to make an informed decision...can make a difference.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know you were responding to mac, but another poster is trying to use your post to say I am deceiving people. I wasn't. I am pretty sure that we all know that Hill wasn't drafted high due to his off-the-field problems. Hell, we've had threads dedicated to him.

The bottom line is that our FO failed w/those picks. Dorsey did not.

M
Legend
Legend
M

The bottom line is that our FO failed w/those picks. Dorsey did not.

I've mentioned this before - I think it's way too soon to declare Dorsey's drafts a success. Baker, Ward, Greedy are all in 'show me' status. Taki and Redwine are very much - Meh. Other than Nich Chubb who might be the best RB in the NFL - the 2018 list is full of unprovens too.

Personally I lean on the Dorsey did great side - I think OBJ & Vernon should shine. I think Ward and Greedy will be a great tandem at CB. I think Baker is going to bounce back .... but none of that is at all certain.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was not invited, I know what Depo's role is, I have seen it, heard it,and witnessed it. Thats why I get so mouthy about it.

I would have to say one would have to look at the time frame. Now I'm not trying to say that Depo picks the players. But roles change over time. And Depo's influence over the decision making certainly has as well.

Last year Depo wanted Stefanski. He didn't get him. Haslam didn't suddenly do a 180 and rehire people that departed only two years ago without the influence of someone. Depo it seems obvious is the major link to both Berry and Stefanski. So Depo's influence in the decision making has certainly increased from what it was previously.

So if you're talking about last year, or seasons previous to that, Depo's role has certainly increased since that time. Exactly how much is anyone's guess.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns have really struggled drafting WRS
Since the return
Their best WRs have been either free agents
For the most part
I remember when Robiskie and Massaqoiu were drafted...the draft homers slobbered all over them. Then Ricardo Louis is drafted and is anointed a genius and Louis was a steal

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum ...Depodesta inherits a 2018/19 team averaging 6.5 wins per year, the 2020 goal, THE PLAYOFFS!

Link Copied to Clipboard