Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Big-time signing.

Berry is being very aggressive. I like it. The Browns window is now.

I wonder if certain folks will be talking about how much we are spending in a negative light and call this a "mess" like they have been recently? LOL

P
Legend
Legend
P
Woo Hoo Nice Good Job FO !!!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nice job? GREAT job!!! Andrew Berry knows what our weaknesses are and he is attacking them without delay!! Great for us!!!! thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I wonder if certain folks will be talking about how much we are spending in a negative light and call this a "mess" like they have been recently? LOL

Probably not because these contracts make sense. But nice try.

'A' for effort, sport.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Nice job? GREAT job!!! Andrew Berry knows what our weaknesses are and he is attacking them without delay!! Great for us!!!! thumbsup

I just heard all of this I have been dealing with the church and the virus so give me time to take it all in .... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Big-time signing.

I don't know what some will say, but I will say this.

People can question Berry and Depo on their football knowledge, even though I think Berry is pretty solid.

But those guys are usually the smartest person in almost any room they enter. I think they have the money end, contract length, bonus money and all that pretty well planned out.

They are chess players. Most chess players are thinking maybe a move ahead. Top raked players are setting traps or offensives 4-5 moves ahead on multiple areas of the board.. Maybe more.

We don't lack brain power in the front office.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
peen, I like what Berry is doing and have acknowledged it. But guys like Memphis, device, and WSU have been running their mouths about overpaying guys and spending over the cap in a given year and saying that left our team in a mess. I guarantee they won't question Berry. Their game is completely biased.

Like I said before. I was a Dorsey supporter and questioned Berry, but he had a great first day. That's being fair and is the opposite of what those guys do.

B
Legend
Legend
B
peen, I like what Berry is doing and have acknowledged it. But guys like Memphis, device, and WSU have been running their mouths about overpaying guys and spending over the cap in a given year and saying that left our team in a mess. I guarantee they won't question Berry. Their game is completely biased.

Like I said before. I was a Dorsey supporter and questioned Berry, but he had a great first day. That's being fair and is the opposite of what those guys do.

I understand, it is what it is. I just don't worry about it as much as you.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
One of the menZas thinks VG is overpaid but thinks making Hooper the highest paid TE in the league is a good deal ....

Not much agenda there ... rolleyes ...

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Great signing! The fact they front loaded his contract is what I was hoping for. Leaves room next season to sign our players coming off of their rookie deals.

The contract was for less money than the reported price would be and that bodes well for all of us. It would be nice if we could move Hubbard in the RG position and kill two birds with one stone. Not that I have anything personal against birds mind you. wink

His salary is not prohibitive to do that if they feel he can play the position well.

The media and fans here in Nashville aren't happy he had to go.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Outstanding! A+ FA thus far imo.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

Uhhh, wouldn't we have to see how these players work out on this team before we have an unbiased opinion??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know. Conklin has all the skills no matter what team he plays for. So does Hooper. He's proven himself in a very similar system to what Stefanski is used to working in. Keenum is a quality back up.

Maybe it's just semantics? But I don't think you have to see them play here to be unbiased in supporting the signings. How the coaching staff takes advantage of their skill sets falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff, not the people who signed them or who those people signed.

The only difference is I say that about every FO rather than taking a pick and choose approach to it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think biased vs unbiased is pretty easy to understand. Some folks try and justify almost every move one regime makes and criticizes multiple moves the other regime makes.

Others, try and evaluate each case individually.

It's not about being correct in their assessments. Instead, it's about trying to play fair and be unbiased. Clearly, the folks I mentioned are biased as can be. They always have been. But yeah, we're ignorant. LOL

L
Legend
Legend
L
This is great news, I’m stoked about this signing!

And we got Cooper, filling another hole. So far, so good for the new regime, even if it is early.

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/16/20 08:30 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good job FO!!

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c:

Big-time signing.

Goes to show you have no idea what I was talking about...

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Good signing. FA is for filling holes. This was a must do. Go Browns!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
FA is for filling holes.

Agreed.

Legend
Legend
Feels like a great signing

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, I really like this move.

Berry is doing a very good job thus far.

I'm glad because he seems like such a great guy. He is a great example for other minorities. He worked his ass off, is highly intelligent, and live a clean life.

He is very impressive. I wanted Dorsey to stay and I feel he got screwed, but I am rooting for Berry.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Feels like a great signing
it feels like a great meat and potatoes signing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my only concern...

Conklin tore an ACL in 2017
He wasn't ready to start the 2018 season and went back to IR with another knee injury and average seasons.

basically Kirksey at OT.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
How many games did he miss in 2019?

Legend
Legend
J/C. Great pickup. I never thought we’d ever get him. With all the talk about him getting 18 million a year I thought it would be too rich for us. My hope is that Hubbard can move inside to guard and compete with Teller.

Now that I said this we will cut him.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hopefully, he won't miss another game for 3 years... which is probably why we gave him a 3-year contract. It's curious why we don't give him a 5 year one... which ironically, Tenn declined to take the 5th year option on his contract. They have 27 million cap space.

hopefully, their doctors know something ours don't.

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
nowhere near close to Kirksey's injury history.

just 7 games missed in 2018. Played all 16 games in 2016, 2017 and 2019.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for answering, bro.

It's always a risk to give FAs big money. We all know that. I could be dead wrong, but I think this is a risk worth taking.

I'd rather fill a position of need in FA than reach for a guy in the draft while passing on a player who is higher on your board.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: woodybrownsfan
nowhere near close to Kirksey's injury history.

just 7 games missed in 2018. Played all 16 games in 2016, 2017 and 2019.

2 season-ending injuries are pretty close in 2017 and 2018

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's always a risk to give FAs big money. We all know that. I could be dead wrong, but I think this is a risk worth taking.

I'd rather fill a position of need in FA than reach for a guy in the draft while passing on a player who is higher on your board.

I agree, I really want him to work out. I'm just curious to see a 3 year contract hours after tampering.

it makes me wonder if everyone knows he's taken the needle to the knee a too many times... including him.

hopefully, he wanted a good 3 year show me a deal followed by a 5 year and a 3 year to close out his career.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-brow...n-austin-hooper

Regarded as the best right tackle on the market, Conklin is only a free agent because the Titans declined his fifth-year option during what was otherwise an excellent 2019 offseason from general manager Jon Robinson. You can understand what Robinson was thinking at the time. Conklin tore an ACL during the 2017 playoff loss to the Patriots, wasn't ready to start the 2018 season and then was limited during a frustrating campaign before hitting injured reserve with another knee injury.

We obviously haven't seen Conklin's imaging, but you have to figure it's not great. Otherwise, it seems extremely likely that the Titans would have taken the risk of picking up his option after drafting him with the No. 8 overall pick of the 2016 draft, given that teams typically retain even borderline starters. While the first-team All-Pro nod Conklin netted during his rookie season might have been generous given how frequently the Titans handed him blocking help, he has been above average or better in three of his first four pro seasons.

Conklin is regarded as an excellent run-blocking right tackle, which shouldn't be a surprise given Tennessee's run-heavy attack. His pass blocking is up for more debate. By Stats LLC's numbers, Conklin allowed just three sacks last season, which would be an excellent figure for a starting tackle. ESPN's pass block win rate analysis isn't quite as sanguine, ranking him 59th among NFL linemen while blaming him for 10 sacks in 2019, a far less impressive number. I would put the real number somewhere in the middle.

2020 Free Agency | Browns
What you need to know about the Cleveland Browns:

• Browns' free-agent signings »
• Tracker: Latest signings and news »
• Barnwell's grades » | Top 100 FAs »
• Free-agency coverage » | More NFL »

What was interesting about Conklin's 2019, at least as far as offensive line stances can be interesting, is that he responded to the knee injury by changing how he lined up before snaps. After lining up in a relatively traditional stance before the 2019 campaign with a hand in the dirt and both feet facing the line of scrimmage, he came back with a totally different stance this past season. In 2019, Conklin commonly lined up standing nearly upright like a receiver, with one foot facing forward and the other facing the sideline at nearly a 90-degree angle. He made it work, but I wonder whether the Browns will try to get him to go back to his old stance.

The good news for Conklin is that he'll have an excellent offensive line coach in Bill Callahan, who moved over to Cleveland after his time with Washington. If Conklin can stay healthy, he's also going to get another crack at free agency when things might be far more lucrative. As Schefter mentioned, we're seeing many of the free agents today take shorter-term deals in the hope of cashing in on one more contract in 2022 or 2023, after the league presumably negotiates their new TV deals and the salary cap rises dramatically.

With $30 million fully guaranteed, this is a straightforward deal for the Browns, whose analytics-friendly brain trust finally erases a mistake the regime made when Sashi Brown was in charge. Those Browns let star right tackle Mitchell Schwartz leave for what ended up as a bargain deal with the Chiefs in free agency to gain a compensatory pick. Former general manager John Dorsey signed Chris Hubbard to replace Schwartz, which went disastrously. (Schwartz, of course, just won his first Super Bowl with the Chiefs.)

Now, the Browns likely will cut Hubbard to install Conklin as their starting right tackle for the next couple of years. Getting Conklin done without having to guarantee three years or top Trent Brown's average annual salary is a good bit of negotiating for new GM Andrew Berry. If the Browns can land a left tackle in the draft -- they have pick No. 10 -- they'll come away from this offseason with everything that should have been on the shopping list for Baker Mayfield.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
The deal: Three years, $42 million
Grade: B-

Regarded as the best right tackle on the market, Conklin is a free agent only because the Titans declined his fifth-year option during what was otherwise an excellent 2019 offseason from general manager Jon Robinson. You can understand what Robinson was thinking at the time. Conklin tore an ACL during the 2017 playoff loss to the Patriots, wasn't ready to start the 2018 season and was limited during a frustrating campaign before he hit injured reserve because of another knee injury.

We obviously haven't seen Conklin's imaging, but you have to figure it isn't great. Otherwise, it seems likely that the Titans would have taken the risk of picking up his option after drafting him with the No. 8 overall pick of the 2016 draft, given that teams typically retain even borderline starters. While the first-team All-Pro nod Conklin netted during his rookie season might have been generous, given how frequently the Titans handed him blocking help, he has been above average or better in three of his first four pro seasons.

Conklin is regarded as an excellent run-blocking right tackle, which shouldn't be a surprise, given Tennessee's run-heavy attack. His pass blocking is up for more debate. By Stats LLC's numbers, Conklin allowed just three sacks last season, which would be an excellent figure for a starting tackle. ESPN's pass block win rate analysis isn't quite as sanguine, ranking him 59th among NFL linemen while blaming him for 10 sacks in 2019, a far less impressive number. I would put the real number somewhere in the middle.

What was interesting about Conklin's 2019, at least as far as offensive line stances can be interesting, is that he responded to the knee injury by changing how he lined up before snaps. After lining up in a relatively traditional stance before the 2019 campaign, with a hand in the dirt and both feet facing the line of scrimmage, he came back with a totally different stance this past season. In 2019, Conklin commonly lined up standing nearly upright like a receiver, with one foot facing forward and the other facing the sideline at almost a 90-degree angle. Conklin made it work, but I wonder whether the Browns will try to get him to go back to his old stance.

The good news for Conklin is that he'll have an excellent offensive line coach in Bill Callahan, who moved to Cleveland after his time with Washington. If Conklin can stay healthy, he's also going to get another crack at free agency when things might be far more lucrative. As Schefter mentioned, we're seeing many of the free agents today take shorter-term deals in the hope of cashing in on one more contract in 2022 or 2023, after the league presumably negotiates new TV deals and the salary cap rises dramatically.

With $30 million fully guaranteed, this is a straightforward deal for the Browns, whose analytics-friendly brain trust finally erased a mistake the regime made when Sashi Brown was in charge. Those Browns let star right tackle Mitchell Schwartz leave in free agency for what ended up as a bargain deal with the Chiefs to gain a compensatory pick. Former general manager John Dorsey signed Chris Hubbard to replace Schwartz, which went disastrously. (Schwartz, of course, just won his first Super Bowl with the Chiefs.)

Now, the Browns likely will cut Hubbard to install Conklin as their starting right tackle for the next couple of years. Getting Conklin without having to guarantee three years or top Trent Brown's average annual salary is a good bit of negotiating for new GM Andrew Berry. If the Browns can land a left tackle in the draft -- they have pick No. 10 -- they'll come away from this offseason with everything that should have been on the shopping list for Baker Mayfield.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2887...ig-signing-move

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'm impressed with all the talent that Berry has brought in.

Hooper is no Demetrius Harris and Conklin is no Corbett/Kush...but there is hope.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Jack Conklin doesn't turn 26 until August.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
one post above yours lol

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
one post above yours lol

Ah!

B
Legend
Legend
B

hopefully, he won't miss another game for 3 years... which is probably why we gave him a 3-year contract. It's curious why we don't give him a 5 year one... which ironically, Tenn declined to take the 5th year option on his contract. They have 27 million cap space.

hopefully, their doctors know something ours don't.

?? I don't understand your comment. You hope we missed something?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree, I really want him to work out. I'm just curious to see a 3 year contract hours after tampering.

it makes me wonder if everyone knows he's taken the needle to the knee a too many times... including him.

hopefully, he wanted a good 3 year show me a deal followed by a 5 year and a 3 year to close out his career.

They wanted a 3 year deal to keep in inside the "window" when it is time to sign again. At that point he will be 28-29...then he will look for a 5 year deal.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
J/c

In terms of the injury risk, I also think it’s worth it w/this one. He’s gonna fill a big position of need. RT has been a bugaboo for the better part of two decades

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign RT Jack Conklin

Link Copied to Clipboard