Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
It's a decent argument, but it still comes down to age and cost. Regardless of what happens with Vernon, I would MUCH rather bring in Clowney than Williams.

He is younger and in his peak years. Williams is entering his twilight, if not already there.

He will have a larger impact - our OLine - and offense as a whole - is pretty well loaded now, sans that one spot. We can absolutely afford to roll with the less expensive journeyman in Peters and a rookie behind him.

The cost is much less. The dollar value will be roughly equivalent, but to get Williams we're giving up picks or picks and a player. Heck, in one of your scenarios you include Vernon... you create another hole on defense AND give up another pick along with the dollar investment. Then, in the same breath you mention needing to focus the draft no defense after you created a hole there and got rid of a pick that would be useful for filling holes.
In my scenario, we fix the LT spot, we boost the Hell out of the DLine AND we keep all of our draft picks. All we give up is cap space.

Either way, that "3rd most vital position" gets addressed, but in my scenario the entire defense gets a force multiplier. The offense is already a rock star waiting to happen... the defense needs serious help, and adding an elite player that will demand as much attention as Myles Garrett will make things easier for everyone on the the DLine and in the secondary.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I don't see a team taking on Vernon's contract w/o some added asset of ours. Think the Osweiler trade.

But hey, I'd love to be wrong and see a team take that on.

We don't have to trade his deal. We can just cut him for a 100% cap savings.

I understand that. I was simply responding to Dave's comment and scenario regarding Washington and getting Trent Williams.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wasn't ever in favor of getting rid of Vernon and/or bringing in Clowney... but with hsi asking price going down, and the possibility of getting Clowney on a reasonable-ish contract going up... that changes the equation for me a little bit.

A potential scenario of signing Clowney to a somewhat reasonable contract (front-loaded, or essentially a 2-year deal via the details), and trading Vernon for draft capital or a player that can fit a need actually doesn't sound all that bad. Essentially, you're trading injury concerns for attitude concerns. I don't like either, and everything else the same I'd prefer to deal with Vernon's concerns vs Clowney's, but coming out of a couple transaction with Clowney instead of Vernon and some additional draft or personnel capital actually doesn't sound too bad.

The tricky part will be seeing what we could get for Vernon, and the structure of Clowney's contract. It would have to have a bunch of flexibility after a year or two.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Nobody is taking Vernon at $17 million this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just a little information regarding the LT position. Some seem to think that, or at least suggest that Trent Williams still has four years left in him at a high level. And that certainly could be. Jason Peters playing at any competent level at all is almost a miracle considering his age.

I think any time you consider signing a FA at the LT position, or any position for that matter, you must consider the law of averages. Even signing Jason Peters to a one year deal at his age is a risk. But putting a huge contract on a four year deal for Trent Williams is an even higher risk.

Here is a very interesting article that explains why. It shows you that yes, there are outliers, but on the average, you can expect a LT to peak at 32 or earlier. This article will give you names, example and I would say it explains why giving NFL LT's over age 30 is a very risky proposition.....

NFL offensive tackles and the age-wall

At the urging of a few other staffers, I’ve decided to turn this into a full article. With the release of Russell Okung yesterday, there is a distinct possibility that the Denver Broncos will end up with 36 year old, Andrew Whitworth, as their starting LT next season. Whitworth was still playing a high level in 2016. He made the Pro-Bowl and was PFF’s second best LT in the league last season. He was 1st team All-Pro in 2015 and second team All-Pro in 2014. He had made the Pro-Bowl three times and been 1st team All-Pro once during his eleven seasons in the NFL. By every measure, he was one of the best left tackles in the league in 2016. The question is how long can he be expected to maintain that level of play given his age?

Andrew Whitworth was born on December 12, 1981. At the start of next season he will be closer to 36 years old than 35. He will turn 36 during the season. Why should this bother you, because the list of NFL offensive tackles who have played well at that age is maddeningly short. There are two, Gary Zimmerman and Jackie Slater, both of whom are in the Hall of Fame. So let’s look at the career arc of those two offensive tackles and then some others to get a feel for when elite offensive tackles start to decline.

Those who beat the age-wall

Jackie Slater was not a LT. He played RT for his entire career which was spent with the Rams. Jackie Slater was a freak of nature. Born in 1954, he was able to block defenders who were almost half his age near the end of his career. He was drafted in 1976 out of Jackson State and played 20 NFL seasons, but he didn’t become a full-time starter until his 4th NFL season in 1979. He was never a 1st team All-Pro, but he made the Pro-Bowl seven times, the first time being in 1983. He played in 259 NFL games. His decline started in 1993 at the age of 38 when he suffered an injury that cost him half the season. He would play another three NFL seasons, but he was a shadow of the player that he once had been playing only 16 total games in his final three NFL seasons. He retired after playing in one game in 1995. In his final NFL game he was 41 years and 169 days old. In all of my research I was unable to find another offensive lineman who either played this long, or was playing as well after the age of 35.

Gary Zimmerman is the other example of an offensive tackle who played at a high level into his mid-30s. Zimmerman was born on December 13, 1961 and was taken third overall in the 1984 NFL supplemental draft by the Giants. He would never play for the Giants though as he spent the majority of his career with the Vikings. He was an immediate starter once he got into the NFL, but he didn’t play in his first NFL game until 1986. He finishing his career with seven Pro Bowl selections. He was named 1st team All-Pro three times - the last of which was after the 1996 season with the Broncos. He was very durable only missing 8 NFL games in his 12 year NFL career. We can argue if he was in decline in his final season in the league, 1997. He failed to make the Pro-Bowl that year after making it to the Pro Bowl in four of the previous 5 seasons. However, even if you don’t think that his play was waning, he apparently thought it was as he chose to retire after our Super Bowl victory. Zimmerman was 36 years and 43 days old when he played in Super Bowl 32, his final NFL game.

Age-wall victims

So let’s look at some other elite and very good NFL offensive tackles who are (mostly) no longer playing to see at what age their decline started.

Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz had his decline start at the age of 32 in 1991. Muoz was the 3rd overall selection in the 1980 draft. He was an immediate starter for the Bengals. He was retired after the 1992 season. There were only two years when he did NOT make the Pro Bowl – his rookie year and his final year in the league. He was selected to the Pro Bowl eleven times and he was a nine time 1st team All-Pro LT. He missed 8 games during his final NFL season. He was 34 years and 130 days old when he played his final NFL game. Munoz only missed 17 regulars season games during his 13 years NFL career. He arguable could have played longer, but he felt that he had nothing left to prove in the NFL. He was such an amazing athlete that he was used as a goal-line receiver, finishing his career with 4 receiving TDs on 7 catches.

Jake Long (Vikings) was the first overall pick in the NFL draft by the Dolphins in 2008. He was an immediate starter and made the Pro-Bowl in his first four NFL seasons. He was named 1st team Al-Pro once. His decline started at the age of 29 in 2013. He is currently 31 and has only started three games in the last two seasons. His knees are to blame for his decline as he has had multiple ACL tears.

Walter Jones was the 6th overall pick in the NFL draft in 1997 by the Seahawks. He started 12 games as a rookie and we a full-time starter in his second year. He made his first of 9 Pro Bowls in his third season, 1999. He was named first team All-Pro four times and he is in the Hall of Fame. He had his decline start at the age of 34 in 2008 - his final season in the NFL. His decline was rapid as he was a 1st team All-Pro in 2007. Jones only missed 8 games during his twelve year NFL career and was named to the Pro Bowl after 2008 which would be his final NFL season, but half of those eight games were in his final NFL season. His 2008 season was cut short due to a knee injury that would end his NFL career.

Matt Light was a second round pick of the Patriots in 2001 and an immediate starter at LT for them as a rookie. He would be named 1st team All-Pro one time (2007_ and he would make the Pro Bowl three times during his career. His decline with the Patriots started at 32 in 2010. He retired after in 2011, so his decline was very rapid. He started 15 games for the P*ts in 2011 and then retired after the season. After he retired he revealed that he had battled a debilitating disease (Crohn’s disease) for over a decade and that he could no longer deal with the disease and playing in the NFL.

Jonathan Ogden was the 4th overall pick in the NFL draft in 1996. He was an immediate starter as a rookie - starting all 16 games and he made his first Pro Bowl in 1997. He was also named 1st to All-Po following the 1997 season. He made 1st team All-Pro four times and was named to the Pro Bowl eleven times. His "decline" happened at the age of 33 in 2007. The Ravens’ LT was still playing in 2007 and made the Pro Bowl that season despite only staring 10 games. He was slowed by a toe injury. In his final season he only started 10 games (appearing in 11). He had battled the toe injury all year and he decided that he had nothing left to prove in the NFL. He was 33 years and 156 days old during his final NFL game. Given his statement, it’s possible that he could have played longer and still played at a high level, but he no longer wanted to. His decline may not have happened prior to his retirement, but we will never know.

Hall of Famer Willie Roaf was the 8th overall pick of the Saints in 1993. Like most of the tackles he was an immediate starter and made his first Pro Bowl in 1994. He was also named 1st team All-Pro in 1994. He would be selected to 11 Pro Bowls during his career and he would be named 1st team All-Pro three times. His decline started in 2005 at the age of 35. He was named 1st team All-Pro in 2004 while playing for the Chiefs. His 2005 season was cut short with injuries as he only played in 10 games, but he was still named to the Pro Bowl. Various nagging injuries slowed him and hurt his performance in his final season. He chose to retire rather than play at a diminished level. He probably could have played longer. He was 35 years and 258 days old during his final NFL game in 2005. Multiple teams tried to get him to come back for one more season in 2006 and 2007.

Orlando Pace was the first overall pick in the NFL draft in 1997 and an immediate 16 game starter for the Rams. He would make his first Pro Bowl in his third NFl season 1999. He would also be named 1st team All-Pro for the first time that year. Pace would make the Pro Bowl seven times during his career and would be named 1st team All-Pro three times - the last being in 2003. His decline really started in 2006 at the age of 31. He only played in eight games that season due to a knee injury. Then he re-injured his knee during the opening game of the season in 2007. He played through the 2009 season, but he was never an elite LT after 2005. He would play his last NFL game at the age of 34 years and 24 days old.

Tra Thomas never made 1st team All Pro, but he did make the Pro Bowl three times. He was drafted 11th overall in 1998 and was an immediate 16 game starter for the Eagles. His decline started at 33 in 2007, and he retired after the 2009 season. He was almost 35 years old when he retired. He was 34 years and 360 days old during his final NFL game in 2009 when he couldn’t make it as a starter for the Jaguars. He was brought in to be the veteran insurance plan in case #8 overall Pick Eugene Monroe was not ready to be a starter as a rookie at LT in the NFL. Monroe was a bust because, despite his draft status, he has failed to lock down a starting tackle position in the NFL for more than a season and has only started 16 games once during his NFL career.

Chris Samuels made the Pro Bowl six times but was never 1st team All Pro. He was drafted third overall in 2000. Samuels was an immediate starter in Washington and would make his first Pro Bowl in his second season, 2001. His decline started at 31 in 2008, he was done after the 2009 season. He hurt his knee during the 2008 season and missed 4 games. He would injure his neck in 2009 and retire after the 2009 season after playing only five games in that season. He was 32 years and 68 days old when he played his last NFL game.

Michael Roos was the 41st overall pick by the Titans in the 2005 draft. He was an immediate starter at LT and RT for them as a rookie. He made the Pro Bowl and 1st team All Pro only once (2008). His decline happened in 2014 at 32. Prior to the 2013 season Roos had only missed one regular season game during his NFL career. He only played in five game in 2014 before he missed the rest of the season with a knee injury. He was retired after the 2014 season. Roos decided to retire instead of risking permanent damage to his body. He most likely could have played longer, but he also was never really in the same class as the rest of the tackles in this article. He was exactly 32 years old when he played in his last NFL game (what a crappy way to celebrate your 32nd birthday).

Conclusion

There are instances of offensive tackles continuing to play at a high level in their mid 30s, but they are few and far between. Most elite offensive tackles start to decline at roughly the age of 32 if they haven’t already. At that point most of these men have been playing tackle football for 25 or more years. I can tell you from personal experience (I played center and guard in college) that playing on the line has a cumulative detrimental effect on your body. I’m sure that there are elite tackles that I have overlooked. Please sound off in the comments with anyone that I have missed and I will respond with the same type of analysis that I applied to the guys in this article.

While Andrew Whitworth is now the best option for the Broncos at LT, even if his level of play drops off a little in 2017, the front office needs to get him on a very short deal similar to what John Elway was able to do with Evan Mathis in 2015 (one-year incentive laden deal).

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/2/27/14724674/age-wall-for-offensive-tackles-nfl

I oppose giving Trent Williams a big money, four year deal and this article explains very much why I have that view.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
40m
Veteran LB Gerald Hodges, who retired last year, now has decided he wants to play this season, per source. Hodges is a free agent.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great research and I am in total agreement with your thoughts about Peters. As far as Williams goes, my thought process is he's very serviceable at his age and will be for 2-3 years. If he doesn't slip much he still is better at 3/4 speed than the majority of the LT's in the game. More importantly though is that the Browns could front load his contract and back load it with pay for play incentives. With bonuses and guarantees out of the way by the end of year two, the Browns would have the option during years 3 & 4 of making cap moves to release Williams if his production falls without absorbing any dead cap. The vast majority of teams are structuring contracts this way now to avoid the dead cap money.

Again though I have to take into account the value - risk & reward of the move. The Browns O-line is set to win now outside of the LT spot. The Browns have one of the best receiving corps in football and arguably the best RB or RB duo in football. The thought process is that the Browns have their franchise QB. LT is the huge hole and like my previous post dictates the #3 valued position on the team.

Risk & Reward: The first case of signing Peters and drafting an OT has the highest risk. First the Peters risk of having a diminishing player at age 38.

The second is hoping that Thomas falls to the Browns because as I stated earlier, Wills and Wirfs are RT's and would be stupid to draft and think they could play LT out of the gate in the NFL. Becton, a true LT, is a monster of a man but weighing 364 at 20 years of age is a weight problem waiting to happen. Even by some miracle Thomas does drop to #10, you are putting an untested rookie at a highly valued position with a veteran line. He will be the weak spot and that's if he does perform as expected. I would be 1-2 years before he even gets up to the level of performance of the other lineman and the team is playoff ready now outside of LT and with future contracts coming up in the next 3-4 years could greatly change the team they have now. That's just plain business.

Third, bringing a veteran presence in Williams would solidify what is already a very good line outside of LT. Williams is 1-year removed from 7-straight years of Pro Bowl performance only broken because he sat out. There is no reason to expect such a drop off that he'd be a liability to the offense. In fact, there is a better chance that he performs better after a year off the heal the knicks he has had. If 33 is the drop off line as you suggest, that gives Williams 2-years of high level performance and if structured properly the Browns would have an out if necessary during years 3 & 4.

Bottom line is the Browns offense is set to win now - not 2-3 years down the road when a LT might be ready. The two biggest issues on the offensive side of the ball is LT and Mayfield. Eliminating the blind side worry of a rookie LT or a 38-year old diminishing skills tackle would go a long way in Mayfield's growth. I don't believe you are sending the correct message to the team when you have an opportunity to get the best Pro Bowl LT in the game to man the 2nd most important position on the offense by cheaping out with a washed up 38-year old LT or possibly drafting a college RT, a 364 lb potential weight issue, or hoping that the only truly ready LT falls to you in the draft and could be a constant worry. In fact, I suspect that if the Browns want Thomas that bad they will have to trade up into the top 4 or 5 places in the draft. The amount the team will have to spend on Thomas would crush this years and next years draft.

The final option is to wait until round 2 to get the LT where the success level drops to 33% and creates even a bigger concern for an offense built to win now.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
From my perspective, based on your own prediction and the article I posted, I'm not willing to pay top 10 money at the LT position for what you yourself describe as "very serviceable at his age and will be for 2-3 years".

I don't consider that a sound position with which to move forward. Let's just say we're never going to agree on this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
A lot of this back-and-forth regarding Williams will come down to the nitty-gritty contract details, which we'll only know once it's all said and done.

While I don't question his seriousness about not wanting to play for the skins, I will also not be one bit surprised if he were to sign a lucrative contract with them and then be more than happy to resume playing on their line like nothing happened. I think, regardless of where, he'll be playing under a new contract when he does resume playing.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/...on-trade-offers

Interesting ... cuz I actually liked what I’ve seen from Mullins. In Stefanski’s system (similar to Shanny’s) he’d be a decent idea

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/...on-trade-offers

Interesting ... cuz I actually liked what I’ve seen from Mullins. In Stefanski’s system (similar to Shanny’s) he’d be a decent idea

Maybe, but we already got our guy in Case Keenum

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah ... I bet we offered something before we signed Keenum

Legend
Legend

Totally understand the risk. My take on making a deal for Williams. Maybe a four year deal but only two guaranteed.

And of course that would include what Callahan has to say and a complete physical.

If we could make a trade with a player(Njoku maybe) and a third rounder. I think it may be worth it.

But this is a draft day deal. Only if things fall right. A deal for Simmons at seven. The Browns top LT prospect already taken etc.

Williams when he has played has been one of the best tackles in the game.

If he is fully healthy; I see no reason we could not get two very good years from him.

To me it is the type of thing you watch and see how things go and if you can make the right deal you do it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We're just never going to agree about this.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

If the guy they want at LT is there then they should get him. If their guy is gone then they should look and see if they can make the right deal.

I think during a draft process you have to be flexible.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If your position is if all else fails and we are in desperation mode, then I guess as a last ditch effort to address the position I would agree.

Did I put enough qualifiers in there? wink

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some LT's you missed that did not leave with diminished skills:

Roosevelt Brown, HOF Rosey played 13 years for the NY Giants and retired at 34. Rosey's final 2 seasons with the Giants he made the Pro Bowl. In fact, Rosey made the Pro Bowl 8 straight years before missing in '63 but finished with 2 more Pro Bowls to finish out his career. Brown retired going out on top and coached the Giants after retirement.

Jonathan Ogden, HOF Ogden played 12 years for Baltimore. Ogden made 11 straight Pro Bowls missing only his rookie season. Ogden retire 19 days short of his 34th birthday still on top.

Art Shell, HOF Shell played 15 years and 23 playoff games (equal to another season and a half) with the Raiders. Shell made 8 Pro Bowls. Shell retired in 1982 at age 36 after a season of injuries. In 1981 Shell played in 13 games and in 1980 at the age of 34 all 16 games and made the Pro Bowl.

Willie Roaf: HOF Roaf played 13 years in the NFL. Roaf made the Pro Bowl 11 times including each of his last 4-years playing. Roaf retired in July at the age of 36. KCC General Manager Carl Peterson said he was holding out hope that the perennial Pro Bowler would reverse his decision because they wanted him back for a 14th year but Roaf stayed firm in his commitment.

Walter Jones: HOF Jones played 13 years for the Seattle. Jones made the Pro Bowl 9 times including his 8 straight final years of playing. Jones started every game in which he played as a pro. Jones suffered a severe knee injury in Nov 2008 ending his 8th consecutive Pro Bowl season. Jones had surgery and rehabbed for a return in 2009 but was placed on injured reserve. Jones intended to return in 2010 but instead retired in April after 13 years with Seattle at the age of 36.

Ron Yary, though a RT, HOF Yary played 15 years retiring at age 36. In year 14 at age 35, Yary started and played in all 16 games and only missed 2 games due to injury throughout his career.

Joe Thomas, played 11 years for the Cleveland Browns. Future HOFer Thomas was a 10 consecutive year Pro Bowl LT only missing his final year due to injury. After being put on injured reserve, the Cleveland Browns amended the contract of stalwart offensive tackle Joe Thomas, making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL in 2018. The deal includes $3 million in new money over 2017 and '18, including a $1.5 million roster bonus paid this past week, plus a raise of $1.5 million in base salary for 2018, which will now be $10.3 million. Factoring in his base salary and bonuses, Thomas was scheduled to take home $13.5 million in cash in 2018, the highest figure at the time for any NFL offensive lineman. In March 2018, Thomas shocked the Browns by announcing his retirement at the age of 33. The Browns obviously had no concerns about Thomas' ability going into 2018 or further.

Legend
Legend

Qualifiers in place.

Regarding the position of LT the Browns have two great resources in Callahan and Joe.

I am sure they will take full advantage of that.

So, I am not sweating it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We are in desperation mode - We do not have a LT.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You had to use a time machine for some of those didn't you? wink

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
We're just never going to agree about this.

I totally understand your thinking here, but to be truthful those arguments are for another time and League.

I see our window as being only two to three years while Baker is on his rookie contract, and a few more key named players.

I am all for a QB cashing in (conditionally) on their 2nd contract, but many times it means cutting some other key cogs of the team.

That being said...
My preference is that we Draft our future LT.
thumbsup

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

And who knows how long until doctors can test. Same with other players too, I suppose.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’d love to get him for one year prove it deal

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’d love to get him for one year prove it deal

If thats what it comes down to you'd have to think CLE would be the best place fro him to land. Given who else we already have, it should make it easier for him to have a productive year.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good point. He’d be motivated to sign here and play well

V
Legend
Legend
V
Pretty sure he was motivated last year. That isn't an insult or anything, but it was the last year of his deal and he certainly did play harder last year than in previous years. I think he is discovering that his overall history trumps his most recent year's efforts.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Pretty sure he was motivated last year. That isn't an insult or anything, but it was the last year of his deal and he certainly did play harder last year than in previous years. I think he is discovering that his overall history trumps his most recent year's efforts.

I think he’s not signed because of his injury history and teams can’t give him a physical.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That could be true.

But, didn't he finish the year healthy? I could have sworn I saw him chasing Wentz down and putting a cheap shot on him during the playoff game.

I kinda think it is more about money and his past commitment to the game. I think teams kinda know why his effort increased last year. Just my opinion.

C
Legend
Legend
C
He’s had a ton of injuries in the past. I wouldn’t want to guarantee him a bunch of money only to find out he has an injury that won’t allow him to be effective long term.

The only people I’ve seen question Clowney’s effort are on here. The injuries are a much larger concern.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hey, Clowney could have made 19.1 million under the Franchise Tag this year. He knew this could happen so he had it put into the contract that Seattle couldn't Franchise Tag him. On March 21, the Seahawks offered Clowney (I think the offer still stands) 18.5-million per year on a long term deal. The Hawks offered 18.5 and Clowney knows he could have made 19.1-million so to date he has refused the offer.

The Browns: Any crazy thoughts that the Browns can get Clowney on a 1-year prove it deal or a 1-2 years low ball offer is living in a fantasy land. Second, Clowney wants a long term deal and has one on the table. Originally demanding 20-million per year, the rumor is the price has come down. Obviously, the price has not dropped to 18.5-million or he would have already been signed. That tells me that the asking price if you're going to be a contender for his services is between 19.0 and 19.5 million per year on a long term deal. I also think that the lower you go the more guarantees he will demand.

Look, think what you might but with a multi year deal for 18.5-million per year sitting on the table, the Browns have to be offering 19-million plus for multiple years to be in the conversation. Since I don't believe Clowney hates Seattle or doesn't want to play there then it becomes about money and playoff potential. Since the Seahawks were in the playoffs in 2019 and considered a contender in 2020 with a stable organization, the Browns have to offer more perks considering they are on the 3rd coaching staff in 3-years and coming off a 6-10 record. Those are just the facts and I'm sure they are in Clowney's thought process.

Bottom Line: Clowney will cost the Browns 19-million plus on a long term deal if they want him. The proof is in the pudding. Now they have to decide if this move provides value, enhances the future and is a good business decision. Time will tell...….

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
He’s had a ton of injuries in the past. I wouldn’t want to guarantee him a bunch of money only to find out he has an injury that won’t allow him to be effective long term.

The only people I’ve seen question Clowney’s effort are on here. The injuries are a much larger concern.

You must not have looked.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000...cerns-are-legit

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/peter-k...on-01dxqcwqfff7

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...just-an-opinion

M
Legend
Legend
M
All those articles are from pre-NFL - I mentioned that in his final year at college he was without doubt known for taking his foot off the gas and went into preservation mode to protect his already established draft status.

I don't know for sure that he has had the same criticism leveled against him in the NFL ... that's not me saying I don't think there is criticism. It's me saying I don't know - the worst I have seen/heard is that he does sometimes take plays off. And to be honest I don't think that is very uncommon in the NFL. There is a reason guys like JJ Watt jump out at you with their constant and unrelenting effort .... it is because it is uncommon.

Steve broke it down very well - I don't think this is a reality so I don't think it will be something we need to worry about.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The second one is from 2019.

Also, I never said that Clowney's injuries are not a concern. They are. I am just saying that he his work ethic has been questioned. And that it has been stated in more places than just "on here."

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
This is tough.

Clowney is def a great talent, but his injury history is concerning.

Not going to lie, be great to pair him with Garret, but I think the price has to be right. We could do much worse, for the right deal it would be hard to pass on signing him.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Pit wasn't going to state my opinion on this thread but like many they evolve into different things, as long as its football I guess its ok. So I will get this thread out of the way.

1. Clowney has some elite talent left in him but I would prefer a Healthy Vernon for the Browns.

2. Peters LT, I say JUST FORGET ABOUT HIM!

3. There is a more than 50% probability that we end up making a deal with the Redskins...but we might have to give up a 2021 2nd rounder I think. Probably along with one of our 3rd rounders of 2020. Don't know if we wait for the draft.
That we have 1 or possibly 2 players (not 4) placed in a desired pick for us at #10. But what if we have Simmons there available at #10 then we go scrambling to complete that Williams trade and pick Simmons???

Problem with that is this dang virus as we would like to fly Williams in and get an MRI and intensified medical look at him before any trade. Possibly we can have a handshake deal that would only be effected by a bad medical report. But then we are screwed if we passed over a LT at #10???

I think that will be in our future. No Peters but a good chance we get Williams for our LT for the next 4 years.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
My bet is that Clowney sits and nobody signs him until after the draft.... or, if his agent gets antsy as the Draft nears and teams begin to shift their focus, he might sign right before at a discount... but, I wouldn't expect that.

At this point, I think teams will be focused on what they can get in the Draft and then the teams that still have a need at DE will circle back to him after the dust settles.

I think we're seeing the league collectively tell him that he is just not going to get the money he was expecting and unless his requirements get lowered a lot, he is going to be out of work.

Given that, in the end I could see him taking a one year deal with someone so that he gets paid and has another shot at FA next year (and maybe with a new agent that can read the market a bit better).

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’m starting to agree ... he may be waiting until he can pass a physical and teams ante up more money then

Legend
Legend
I think teams are balking at his asking price, and probably he wants in guarantees.

Physicals can be done by local physicians. Doctors can send charts and x-rays and imagery... information is shareable, so I don't think that is a hold up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "interest" we reportedly showed was nothing more than inquisitory to find out where he stands on things... e.g. would he do a shorter term deal, what is he looking for in guarantees, etc.. basic homework kinda stuff. No actual pursuit, just a basic fact-finding mission.

In years past, his situation is the sort that he remains unsigned into the summer and eventually agrees to a moderate one year deal; maybe a two year deal for cap purposes with a ton of guaranteed that is really a one year.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I see your scenario being a possibility. Although i think the possibility of Simmons falling to #10 unrealistic.

But that brings up a situation that wouldn't be in our favor. NFL teams fully understand the needs of other teams. If we don't address the LT position at #10, the Redskins then know we are desperate for a LT. It puts them in the catbirds seat in negotiations and I really don't like negotiating from the side of weakness. It only drives the price we will have to pay up.

And as you describe, the logistics of such a deal on draft day would be a nightmare with the virus situation.

By contrast my biggest concern is that there will not be a candidate at the LT position there worthy of the #10 pick. I'm not nearly as sold that there are as many candidates in this draft at the NFL LT position as some people I've seen.

So either way we could find ourselves in the position you describe.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IF we went the route of trading for Trent, I can see a scenario where we go into the Draft without it, go through the Draft sticking to our board completely, and then if we still want to shore up that position, we talk to them AFTER the Draft... not during it while we're under pressure and on the clock.

Their leverage would be lower and any picks we give up would be 2021 picks.... and this FO is smart enough to know to not give up a higher round than normal just because it's a future pick.

In terms of getting Williams, this is probably the best scenario all-around as it greatly mitigates the biggest problem with getting him which is giving up Draft capital AND paying him a ton.

We'd still have to pay him a ton, but the "pain" of giving up picks is pushed out to next year and *hopefully* those picks won't be Top 10.

As a general strategy, this makes the most sense to me.

Browns is the Browns

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency - Cont’d

Link Copied to Clipboard