Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It would probably be wise to re-up Garrett soon ... do it before we might have to get Baker done and while we have more room ... throw a lot at him initially (plus he’ll be a tad cheaper coming off suspension)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
It would probably be wise to re-up Garrett soon ... do it before we might have to get Baker done and while we have more room ... throw a lot at him initially (plus he’ll be a tad cheaper coming off suspension)

Or we could get a comp pick brownie

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's really the way I lean. $17mil is a pretty good chunk of change we can funnel Garretts way. He gains early security, we can get him at a reduced rate.

Then again, maybe we extend Hunt 2 years with a nice bonus. Two years still gives him leverage to get another big contract and two years frees us from him if we need or want to sign Chubb to another contract.

On a side note….I worry about Backs. Bumping them out before free agency is risky business. In this case I would on Hunt for 2 years. Next year draft a back fairly early as insurance if Chubb gets goofy money and we elect to not match.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It's amazing how points-of-view get twisted on here to prove or protect an agenda. I made a comment about wanting to see the Browns plastered all over the comp pick list - as I regularly see with teams who are always better than us.

I wasn't insinuating a darn thing, but that comment DID come on the heels of why I was good with keeping Vernon through his last contract year (and because he's a very good player when healthy), taking a one-year flyer on Clowney (if that's even possible), and my agreement with tendering Hunt as we did. All of those moves make sense for THIS year and NEXT off-season in regards to comp picks...one year commitments on good players. (We can always re-sign those guys as well - or try to.).

Of course I would expect that we would have viable replacements - just like the teams do who are plastered all over the comp pick list. To insinuate otherwise is silliness. And...we would have a COMP PICK to help replace the guys we did not re-sign...younger...cheaper guys. We'd have to actually draft well with those comp picks - which is an entire other debate. The point of my comment about draft picks is THIS: If perennial playoff teams are plastered all over the comp pick list, then they are doing something right in managing their ROSTER.

When Memphis did the research on the Browns and comp picks, I was not completely surprised...but WAS amazed at our lack of comp picks STR. Here's the kicker: When I read the two years that we DID have some comp picks, I DID NOT EVEN THINK OF - OR CARE - WHO WAS IN THE FRONT OFFICE AT THAT TIME or how we got those picks. Twisting those posts into some sort of Sashi- issue/praise is the epitome of agenda-protecting paranoia. (BTW, in about two more off-seasons I will have completely forgotten which players were drafted by GMs from Dorsey backwards as well.)

Good teams somehow manage to get comp picks without gutting a position - purposely or inadvertently. I'd like to see us get to a point in roster-management where we too are on that list - and as a perennial playoff team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The funny thing in all of this is that the 2016 comp picks had nothing to do with anything Sashi and that FO did in 2016. It was as a result of the 2015 activity of players leaving/signed calculation while Ray Farmer was the GM. Under Sashi and Co, they were able to use all those comp picks in 2016 and 2017, but their personnel activity was only as a result of players leaving in 2016 for the 2017 comp picks.

Just like the 2012 comp picks were a result of the prior years' activity.

I guess the math really is hard for some.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Personally, I’m preparing for us not re-signing Chubb. I think we have him for his rookie deal, then we tag him, then he’s gone

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why ? Strictly a financial decision ? I see him as a core player that you would finagle something ..

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I just look at it from the RB standpoint. No doubt he’s a top 5 RB in the league ... but it’s risky to pay that position 20 million per year (Gurley, Bell, etc). I think our FO will prioritize other positions while maximizing Chubb in his next three years

M
Legend
Legend
M
Personally, I’m preparing for us not re-signing Chubb. I think we have him for his rookie deal, then we tag him, then he’s gone

I am too. Unless there is a chance to re-sign Chubb now, but I don't think we are allowed to, but someone correct me if that is the case.

RB is not a premium position. If Chubb keeps progressing alongside other players we have on the team-- Mayfield, Garrett, Ward-- and all are worthy of long term contracts, I think Chubb is behind all of them in terms of priority, IMO.

Now, things may change. Mayfield has another sub par year, Garrett swings (and lands) another helmet, Ward is injured again.... These all decrease the value of the aforementioned players. However, if they all perform to the extent we hope/think they can, then yes, I believe Chubb is #4 on the list.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see what you guys are saying .. I just am such a Chubb fan ! I think Ward getting hurt again is a sure thing .

M
Legend
Legend
M
Same here, waterdawg.

Chubb is one of my favorites players on the team.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Agreed w/you both. He’s probably my favorite player. If I’m using my heart he’d be the guy I’d want to keep

B
Legend
Legend
B
I just look at it from the RB standpoint. No doubt he’s a top 5 RB in the league ... but it’s risky to pay that position 20 million per year (Gurley, Bell, etc). I think our FO will prioritize other positions while maximizing Chubb in his next three years

I am not going to say what you say doesn't make sense.

Chubb is better than your average back, but if your Oline is pretty good, you can play a average back and get good results.

Unlike many positions, I think you can always get a pretty good back, both in free agency and the draft.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Or they can negotiate an extension after next year. One of the wonderful things about Chubb is that he's grounded; the idea of playing his career with one team is more likely to appeal to him than for someone who's in it for the fame and money. Pay him fairly, I believe he would stay.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, thats 100% the truth ... Chubb is the most grounded player we have. That’s why we all love him.

What’s a fair price though? His production is going to be incredible and he’s going to be 26 years old or whatever.

He’s going to warrant highest RB numbers IMO

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm sure someone will come along to say I'm FOS, but I think Chubb is top a 2-3 RB. Rules don't apply; pay him and reap the benefits for the balance of his contract, however long. He won't let us down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The market, as always, will determine what's fair. We can't pay what he would get in FA, and keep Myles, Baker if he pans out, and other players we'll need to pay to keep. If we can find a happy ground with Chubb to extend 2-3 years, I think he would do so. (It might serve as a precedent for others who follow.)

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I agree with that, and being grounded is a positive that is worth something. Pay him as the model player your roster will benefit from having. Not every player can be highest paid, and some terms that pay him well near the top of NFL salaries, some incentives, sensible stuff make him a very solid keeper IMO.

But that is my opinion. It is OK to be wildly successful, payed well, and win games. Lots of 'em. A "career in one place" is rarer today, but I am sure it still appeals to grounded individuals like Chubb. At least, I hope it does.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
It's amazing how points-of-view get twisted on here to prove or protect an agenda.

We finally agree on something.

But, of course, you turned right around and "liked" the next post that was all about twisting things and protecting an agenda.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
It's amazing how points-of-view get twisted on here to prove or protect an agenda.

We finally agree on something.

But, of course, you turned right around and "liked" the next post that was all about twisting things and protecting an agenda.

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am laughing even louder at this:

Quote:
Quote:
8 of those came in 2016, 2017 under one regime.

What was our record during those two years? Those aren't the 1 and 31 years, are they?

Of course, Hue know it was 1-31.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This was a good one, too. The poster quoted something from the previous post and then went on to say how others won't let things go.

Quote:
j/c

Quote:
did your hero get a pick for Schwartz?

The pick we got for Schwartz was involved in the deal that netted us Chubb.

rofl rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow.........here is another example of how things get twisted on here to protect an agenda.

Quote:
The funny thing in all of this is that the 2016 comp picks had nothing to do with anything Sashi and that FO did in 2016. It was as a result of the 2015 activity of players leaving/signed calculation while Ray Farmer was the GM. Under Sashi and Co, they were able to use all those comp picks in 2016 and 2017, but their personnel activity was only as a result of players leaving in 2016 for the 2017 comp picks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow.........here is another example of how things get twisted on here to protect an agenda.

Quote:

Wait! What?

Didn't the same poster say this?

Quote:
Since 1995, the Browns are 31st in compensatory picks with 12.....8 of those came in 2016, 2017 under one regime.

But yeah, it's others who are twisting things to protect their agenda. rofl

B
Legend
Legend
B
Yeah, thats 100% the truth ... Chubb is the most grounded player we have. That’s why we all love him.

What’s a fair price though? His production is going to be incredible and he’s going to be 26 years old or whatever.

I agree. It's a business.

We can live in a fairy tale world and think Chubb wants to play in Cleveland for life.

Just think "Show me the Money". That is where he is going to go. People change jobs for a $1 per hour raise. Why? To help the family.

While Chubbs scale may be greater than the cook changing jobs, the motivation is the same. You are always going to opt for more money. Well, unless you are stupid. Especially at his age and his profession. Nick stands no chance to make the same money outside of football. MD's don't make what he can make.

My counsel would be to follow the money trail as long as teams were willing to pay.

Bottom line word.

Oh, I am up at this hour because we had some really killer storms move through. I mean really bad.

They have moved through and a few cups of wine have me feeling I need to get another 2-3 hours of sleep. Later

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree w/you ... it’s a business and he’ll go where $ prevails as he should

And about the storms ... I just read about the tornados in Tennessee Valley ... hope you’re safe and no damage

B
Legend
Legend
B
Still here. No damage that I can tell.

Thanks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This was a good one, too. The poster quoted something from the previous post and then went on to say how others won't let things go.

Quote:
j/c

Quote:
did your hero get a pick for Schwartz?

The pick we got for Schwartz was involved in the deal that netted us Chubb.

rofl rofl

Correct. Diam wouldn't let it go. You can see based on his reference of "hero" when it was never brought up in prior posts.

I answered the question. We did in fact get a draft pick from the departure of Schwartz. We traded that pick for a 2nd, Osweiler, and a 17 million dollar debt. He brought it up, not me, not memphis or whomever you wish to falsely accuse whose name isn't diam. It's pretty clear.

The fact that you and him continue to bring it up "unprovoked" is rather nauseating. The fact you and him continue to argue against things that were never said is even more nauseating. But I'm going to assume this isn't the last time either of you will do so.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
... argue against things that were never said ...

I'm NOT pointing fingers at anyone here, but none of us need be subjected to falsehoods, deliberate or otherwise. This is not the White House Press Room...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

The fury that ensues when posters see a "like" to other people's posts will be something I'll never get tired of seeing.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hope that you and yours are all OK. I can agree with the money chase, but I do think we can take care of him, maybe without Zeke money Some large numbers just seem to guarantee a cut or trade moment. His output will be part of his leverage. Hope we can use him better than Fred did.

Go, Browns.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I think it's actually impossible to use him any worse than Fred did. Unless he were to be flat out benched.

And I will side with the think-with-the-heart people. If we ever let Chubb go for financial reasons, I would feel dead inside.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I think his value is going to be high - especially if he shares a portion of the load with Hunt ... if you think of some of the elite backs who have burned out with being the work horse of a teams offense and then fell off a cliff in about year 5 or 6 ... I don't see that happening with Chubb.

Whoever said they think Chubb is a top 3 RB in the NFL - I agree 100%.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
He got used A LOT last year. Hunt wasn't even on the scene until midway through the season. Took him a couple games to really get up to speed.

With some guys, you know they're just saying it... but with Chubb I do believe that he doesn't much care about the rushing title. I'm also pretty sure I saw him start to wear down by the end of the year. I hope KS can create a 1-2 punch with him and Hunt that keeps both fresh.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Not a free agent signing, but didn't think it needed a new thread.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I love Christian McCaffrey. Teams shouldn’t pay running backs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I love Christian McCaffrey. Teams shouldn’t pay running backs.

Not a 4 year extension like that......

I'm waiting for RB's to make their own off-shoot union and negotiate new rules. Being a first rounder, stuck in a 4 year contract with a fifth year option, then they have the franchise tag and all that. That and they can't negotiate an extension till after the third year.

It becomes a bit of a mess for them compared to the other positions.

They need their own CBA in regard to contracts because the NFLPA is not looking out for them

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 04/13/20 04:38 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So we were having the discussion earlier .. I guessed it would be about that to pay Chubb. I just don’t see it as a wise move ... as much as I love Chubb

D
Legend
Legend
D
Analytics says not to pay some of the best players in the game .... interesting ....

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Cont’d

Link Copied to Clipboard