Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
It’s looking more and more likely that Thomas and Wirfs will be off the board

I am not being confrontational, but why do you think this?

On another note.........I am not sure how anyone can say it makes sense and is logical to trade down before they know which players are available.

I agree. How can someone state we should trade down when we don't know how the picks have fallen ? It might make sense to actually trade up depending on how the picks are coming off the board. We are in a position to get impact players - our roster has a lot of talent and I think we need to add a difference maker or two as opposed to adding a quantity of average talent.

I want Simmons. I'm willing to trade up to get him if its a spot or two.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We should trade do to #22 and take a QB.

5 people liked that post...curious to which actually thought you were recommending investing in a QB for round 1 as opposed to liking the Joke of us targeting a QB at #22 a common occurrence in our recent past...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I actually don't disagree with you on Williams. I think he would be a good get, but the devil is in the details with bringing him in. What will Washington accept in a trade? What will Williams accept as far as a new contract? Where is Williams' health right now (this is minor, I assume)?

I have no problem putting together a stacked Oline for Baker and Chubb. But there's a cost involved, and I want to make sure we're not being taken to the woodshed by the 'skins and/or Williams.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
thriller #1754584 04/22/20 10:18 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
Fl, if we pick there at 10 we get either a starting left tackle (Thomas) or a starting d tackle (brown). I do not see how we can pass that up.

I think it all depends (obviously) on who is on the board and what the offer is.

Basically it boils down to something like - which improves the team more? And then you have dozens of potential scenarios:

- Thomas -or- Josh Jones & Patrick Queen ?
- Thomas -or- Delphit and Kinlaw ?
- Thomas -or- Austin Jackson and Queen and Chinn ?
- Brown/Thomas -or- Ezra Cleveland, Winfield and Jonah Jackson?

There was an argument made that our OL last year was not as bad as most thought ... we have 1 huge upgrade at RT. If we added an interior upgrade like Jonah Jackson with a 2nd round pick .... and then got the 6-7-8-9th best OT who might be better at run blocking than pass protection .... I think it's fair to say that OL is going to be light years ahead of what we had 2019.... and it gives us a ton of options at 10 including trading down.

Just talking out loud as I'm very intrigued by all the directions we could go in.

I think in these long discussions sometimes the original comment or long explanation of the situation gets baked into the discussion.... you don't repeat on every single post "It depends" ... that becomes part of the equation.

I think that *obviously* if there is an impact player available at a position that helps the team at the slot you are drafting, and he's a target you wanted ... taking him is the preferred option. For me Simmons or Brown are two players I hope fall to us. If not them, and not the Browns first choice at OT ... then I am much more open to a trade down. If we can secure Williams and BPA is QB/WR/CB/OT ... then I trade down without doubt.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/22/20 10:19 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
thriller #1754586 04/22/20 10:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Some mocks see him getting closer to us at 10. Snatch him and immediately get the best remaining tackle. Or trade up for our best tackle choice and get back in for Simmons. Not looking for quantity to cut later. I am thinking impact that can cure under fire.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I actually don't disagree with you on Williams. I think he would be a good get, but the devil is in the details with bringing him in. What will Washington accept in a trade? What will Williams accept as far as a new contract? Where is Williams' health right now (this is minor, I assume)?

I have no problem putting together a stacked Oline for Baker and Chubb. But there's a cost involved, and I want to make sure we're not being taken to the woodshed by the 'skins and/or Williams.

I agree in terms of [1] giving up too much in draft capital [2] messing up cap space for when contracts for young stars contracts are up .... but I am not worried about Williams potential high salary in the short term as long as the contract can be written so it doesn't hurt future cap space. I would also want it to be heavily tied to games played/started.

cfrs15 #1754591 04/22/20 10:38 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm a sucker for gambling on upside. I keep going back to Peters transitioning to Austin Jackson at LT, which makes much more sense after a trade down.

I'm not saying I'd actually do it if I were actually picking, but that's the temptation that keeps sticking in my mind.

Jackson's still young. He has dealt with a lot which I think uniquely prepares him for the random insanity that crops up in Cleveland. He's had a coach on the hot seat. He's had multiple young starting QBs in a season. He's had the health "challenge" after helping his sister. He's got all the natural talent and I think Callahan can train him up technically.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1754593 04/22/20 10:40 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Having the experience of playing with a HC on the hot seat may serve him well if he is drafted by the Browns. At least history would indicate so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm not completely against Williams, I'm just against paying through the nose twice for Williams. I don't care what anyone says - he's too old at the position for that.

So, if we can get him in trade for what amounts to chump change, I'm all for it.

If we wait for him to be a free agent, it's even better.

In the end, the only way I see us getting Trent is if we don't take a tackle at all. If we get Simmons and for some reason cannot land any other legitimate tackle, it is then that I think we'll go after Williams. It won't be the other way around where we do a trade first and then hope the draft falls the way we want it to.

If we do get a tackle at #10, I don't see us taking one we won't feel good about starting Day 1. In that case, there is little chance at all that we get Williams or Peters.

If we get a guy like Ezra that might be a starter part way through the season, or in season 2, then we're more likely to go with a guy like Peters than Williams.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

eotab #1754604 04/22/20 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am one who "liked" that post and did it for the joke.
I would bet $1 that everyone else liked it for the joke too

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

My position for quite sometime.

Callahan coached him for four Pro Bowl years. He speaks very highly of him as a player, a person, and teammate.

He will be 32. He sat a year and according to reports is in very good shape. Williams at LT for the next two to four years IMO will be better than any of the big four.

Williams along with Conklin and our interior guys would make the OL formidable. Our run game could be dominate.

If Baker can't succeed with that in place along with our receivers; there will be no excuses.

If we get a shot at Simmons or Brown at ten. That is the proverbial deal you can not refuse.

If the Browns come out of this draft with Simmons and Trent Williams that the fastest road to success IMO.

We can then totally focus on BPA and development.

There are numerous players with the rest of the picks that can help improve the team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
It’s looking more and more likely that Thomas and Wirfs will be off the board

I am not being confrontational, but why do you think this?

On another note.........I am not sure how anyone can say it makes sense and is logical to trade down before they know which players are available.
just following some current team reporters. It seems like Thomas’ name has gained steam in the Miami/SD/JAX circles. Of course, it’s silly season so it’s all with a grain of salt.

I think the idea of a more plug and play OL is the safest bet for GMs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1754615 04/22/20 11:20 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Top 10 scenario

--Round 1 Pick (1) Bengals: 
Joe Burrow (QB) LSU

--Round 1 Pick (2) Redskins: 
Chase Young (DE) Ohio St.

--Round 1 Pick (3) Lions: 
Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio St.

--Round 1 Pick (4) Giants: 
Jedrick Wills Jr. (OT) Alabama

--Round 1 Pick (5) Dolphins: 
Tua Tagovailoa (QB) Alabama

--Round 1 Pick (6) Chargers: 
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

--Round 1 Pick (7) Panthers: 
Isaiah Simmons (OLB) Clemson

--Round 1 Pick (8) Cardinals: 
Tristan Wirfs (OT) Iowa

--Round 1 Pick (9) Jaguars: 
Derrick Brown (DT) Auburn

--Round 1 Pick (10) Browns: ?
Javon Kinlaw (DT) South Carolina BPA?

Trade down in this scenario?

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1754636 04/22/20 12:05 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Top 10 scenario

Joe Burrow (QB) LSU

Justin Herbert

Derick Brown

Tristan Wirfs (OT) Iowa

CJ Henderson

--Round 1 Pick (10) Browns: ?
Isaiah Simmons

cfrs15 #1754637 04/22/20 12:06 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Trade for Williams and booyah, ready to rock.

Hammer #1754643 04/22/20 12:16 PM
Legend
Legend
If we got Simmons and don't have to give up the bank to get Williams, absolutely.

Otherwise, sit tight and take Ezra Cleveland or trade up into the back end of Round 1 and take one of the other 2nd tier OTs, then sign any ol' OT to take the reins for one season while the rookie gets up to speed.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
If we got Simmons and don't have to give up the bank to get Williams, absolutely.

Otherwise, sit tight and take Ezra Cleveland or trade up into the back end of Round 1 and take one of the other 2nd tier OTs, then sign any ol' OT to take the reins for one season while the rookie gets up to speed.

Are you advocating taking Ezra at #10 ? Based on everything I see and read and watch - that seems awfully high. I also don't think he's going to be there at #41.

I'm still sweet on Josh Jones - but navigating a path to being able to take him at the right slot is hard to see.

I am wondering more and more if Becton is going to be the pick if he's on the board.

cfrs15 #1754657 04/22/20 12:46 PM
Legend
Legend
My perfect scenario would be to stay put and draft Thomas at 10 and stay put and draft Winfield at 41, though I dont think either is likely now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
My perfect scenario would be to stay put and draft Thomas at 10 and stay put and draft Winfield at 41, though I dont think either is likely now

Because you don't think they will be there or because that's not the FO plan?

mgh888 #1754666 04/22/20 12:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Are you advocating taking Ezra at #10 ? Based on everything I see and read and watch - that seems awfully high. I also don't think he's going to be there at #41.

I'm still sweet on Josh Jones - but navigating a path to being able to take him at the right slot is hard to see.

I am wondering more and more if Becton is going to be the pick if he's on the board.
If I may, I think his scenario has the Browns drafting Simmons. The rest is how to fill the LT spot, 1) Trade for Williams if price is right, 2) Draft Cleveland with the #41, or 3) trade from #41 back into the 1st for the Tex or USC guy. After either 2) or 3), then sign a journeyman OT to fill the void till the drafted guy is ready to take over. That's how I read what Prp said.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
mgh888 #1754670 04/22/20 01:02 PM
Legend
Legend

Because you don't think they will be there or because that's not the FO plan?
because i dont think they’ll be there

M
Legend
Legend
M
I have a feeling Thomas will be available at 10. Becton and Wills are who might be off the board or who I am projecting to be off the board. But that's obviously 100% guess.

mgh888 #1754695 04/22/20 02:04 PM
Legend
Legend

Oh, Godzilla, no! That should have been "sit tight in the 2nd round"

Browns is the Browns

mgh888 #1754696 04/22/20 02:09 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think people will be shocked at how quickly Thomas comes off the board. I hope he's there at #10 but I think the player comes before the media buzz.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1754698 04/22/20 02:11 PM
Legend
Legend
I'll be happy when it's Saturday and most of the crazy and uncertainty is done and we'll be able to start to see how things will be put together.

Browns is the Browns

PitDAWG #1754699 04/22/20 02:18 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I agree with this. I doubt he makes it to #10. Too many teams before 10 have needs at OT - NYG, MIA, LAC, CAR, ARZ, and JAC. 6 teams which can all make a case for drafting an OT before the Browns and with Thomas being 1 of 2 which are LT only. Doubt he makes it to 10. I think Wills, Thomas, and Wirfs are gone before 10.

Maybe Simmons or Brown will be there at 10, but I could make a pretty good case that they and the top 3 OTs will all be gone as well. That leaves you with Becton, Okudah maybe. Would Kinlaw be in play?

P
Legend
Legend
P
That makes two of us.

I know I probably see this different than most people, but I actually feel that not having a crowd during the draft will make for a better experience for me sitting at home. I saw someone post this and thought it was pretty funny.... I wonder if Goodell will enlist his family to boo him before he announces the picks?

#gmstrong
Hammer #1754705 04/22/20 02:28 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not as sure about Wirfs. He was projected by most sources I saw to transition to G or RT in the NFL. That was before the combine. Once people saw his numbers and performance at the combine, all that changed.

I guess we will get an answer as to whether the NFL sees the combine as important as the media does. Or do they rely more on game tape which had Wirfs projected somewhere other than LT?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1754709 04/22/20 02:29 PM
Legend
Legend

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
39m
Sources: The #Dolphins have called the teams in front of them for a possible trade up from No. 5 and are gauging the price to come up to No. 3 to potentially take an offensive tackle. We could see a run on tackles in the Top 10 like never before.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually get the opposite message from it that Rappaport does. It seems to me that the Dolphins feel so strongly that their target is so much better than those below him they are willing to pay a hefty price to move up.

If all of these LT prospects are rated so highly, why would you pay a hefty sum to move up slightly for your pick of the litter?

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1754716 04/22/20 02:38 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
If they do it I wonder of it means there going after Cam or Winston ... either that or the morons plan on sticking with fitz ...

The sources could also be the lions trying to raise the price of someone really interested in moving there ...

DiamDawg #1754723 04/22/20 02:43 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It could be either. You know how the silly season is. Rumors galore with all kinds of agendas as reason to plant a story. Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear this close to the draft IMO

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
On another note.........I am not sure how anyone can say it makes sense and is logical to trade down they know which players are available.

Because trading down gets you more value no matter who is available.

cfrs15 #1754776 04/22/20 04:37 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh dear Lord!

Someone should have advised Kansas City of that when they drafted Mahomes.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1754778 04/22/20 04:41 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Oh dear Lord!

From earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted By: cfrs15
As I've said many times I'd trade down every year if I didn't need a QB and there is not a QB I like available.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
39m
Sources: The #Dolphins have called the teams in front of them for a possible trade up from No. 5 and are gauging the price to come up to No. 3 to potentially take an offensive tackle.

... willynilly. Total 'smoke'...just ain't gonna happen.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
PitDAWG #1754780 04/22/20 04:49 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Oh dear Lord!

But that's the thing. You can't use hindsight to make that statement. If you want to use that logic then in the same draft then the teams who should have traded down is long: Bears, Titans, Bengals, Cardinals, Titans again, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland with Peppers pick, Falcons, Dallas, Cleveland with the Njoku pick and the 49ers with the Foster pick. . . . hmmm. that's a long list.

Hammer #1754782 04/22/20 04:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Top 10 scenario

Joe Burrow (QB) LSU

Justin Herbert

Derick Brown

Tristan Wirfs (OT) Iowa

CJ Henderson

--Round 1 Pick (10) Browns: ?
Isaiah Simmons

That would work, but I just dont see Justin Herbert going in the top ten picks.

[Linked Image]

cfrs15 #1754787 04/22/20 05:22 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Your so full of yourself and crap ...

In theory its a great strategy ... but reality doesn’t always line up with theories ... especially when your FO STINKS at drafting ...

The picks made under Sashi with the trade downs STUNK as far as i know ... and i know if I’m wrong I’ll hear it from u or one of your fellow sashiettes ... *L* ...

I know in draft #1 we got Coleman ... and Unless any of the other picks netted us Shobert or Ogbah .... Pfffft on the value all those trade downs got us ... good lord we traded down twice to get CC and got LITERALLY NOTHING IN RETURN ... a bunch of crap ...

I really hope our Ivy leaguers understand drafting and trading down MUCH BETTER than u ...

U always get more value when trading down ... rofl ... what a joke ...

DiamDawg #1754789 04/22/20 05:32 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Your so full of yourself and crap ...

In theory its a great strategy ... but reality doesn’t always line up with theories ... especially when your FO STINKS at drafting ...

The picks made under Sashi with the trade downs STUNK as far as i know ... and i know if I’m wrong I’ll hear it from u or one of your fellow sashiettes ... *L* ...

I know in draft #1 we got Coleman ... and Unless any of the other picks netted us Shobert or Ogbah .... Pfffft on the value all those trade downs got us ... good lord we traded down twice to get CC and got LITERALLY NOTHING IN RETURN ... a bunch of crap ...

I really hope our Ivy leaguers understand drafting and trading down MUCH BETTER than u ...

U always get more value when trading down ... rofl ... what a joke ...
Alex Mack may have been the only decent trade down we ever had, and even then we passed on Julio so it was a fail.

When the heck has trading down EVER WORKED for us

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Trading down

Link Copied to Clipboard