Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
thumbsup

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Let's go Joe!!

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
That line about the Browns could have tradded down and gotten wills is crap.... there were two OT taken in the three picks after the Browns,,. Wills could have easily been gone if we traded down,... if wills is the guy you take him and don't fart around with trading,,,,,

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had the Giants taking Wills at 4 so ... welcome aboard.

Wills is a Nasty run blocker who isn't even 21 years old.

My preference is more length, but hey folks we have another OT now to pair with Conklin.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
929 pass block snaps. 1 qb sack allowed.

Nuff said.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
That line about the Browns could have tradded down and gotten wills is crap.... there were two OT taken in the three picks after the Browns,,. Wills could have easily been gone if we traded down,... if wills is the guy you take him and don't fart around with trading,,,,,

The Jets would of snapped him up in a second. My buddy is a huge Jets fan and was legitimately bummed that we grabbed Wills right in front of them. The fact that the Browns "rushed to the podium" and the Jets worked the phone lines down to the last minute sort of shows you which team really got the guy they wanted.

I had Wills as my top guy, with Thomas at 1b. Was hoping to get one of those two or Simmons, and we did. Beckton had the most potential, Thomas was the most fundamentally sound, Wirfs had the best combine, but I felt Wills was the best all-arounder. He checked most the boxes. About the only one he didn't check was "Left" Tackle, but the guy has the work ethic to learn it.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Psyched.

Best OT in the draft, in my opinion. Was hoping AZ would have taken Wirfs and we would have choice of Wills and Simmons. Had hunch that Henderson was going to Jags regardless. Wonder who they would have gone with it if that played out.

You knew Wills was the man for Berry because there was absolutely no hesitation in making the pick - fastest pick of the night, I think.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
This draft proved that OT is still highly valued in the first round.

People call it a skill position. They get slotted like skill positions.

There is no way Wills would have been there had they traded down.

Legend
Legend
I like what I’ve read about Wills ... and our FO clearly wanted him. Good job!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Love'd Joe Thomas's reaction and comments...SB. He says 3 months, I trust in Joe....hire him to coach him up....GO Browns...get a couple more studs.....YES!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
AGAINST SEC competition....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good start.

Now nab some talent for the D.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I like the pick, welcome to Cleveland, Jed.

I have to give the Browns GM, Andrew Berry, an 'A' for resisting all the crazy scenarios about trading out of the #10 spot, trading down to gain more draft picks (aka, moneyball) and taking one of the lesser OTs, such as Izra Cleveland.

The Browns had a need and addressed it..what more could a Browns fan want?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
929 pass block snaps. 1 qb sack allowed.

I wonder if there are people on this board who think we should have instead drafted the one guy who got through Wills.

You know, like the conversation we had about which coach to hire. Hire the guy from SF because they beat Minnesota in the playoffs.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

Not sure how many used or found this site during the run up to the draft:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jedrick-wills/uwreR0CQzu

There are 5 different reviews of Wills there - overall they had him as the #5 player on their big board.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend

Film Room: Analyzing Jedrick Wills fit in the Browns new offense
ByJAKE BURNS 48 minutes ago

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...ense-146417540/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

thumbsup nanner grin

My guy all the way, had an inkling he was the guy we were targeting. Kid has been working on the switch for several months. Hard worker and a STUD! Our LT for the next 10+ years!

Kid is a natural for the zone blocking scheme his lateral movement is excellent and he has the quick kick step to get back and control those speed edge rushers.

Between working with Joe Thomas and they can do that whenever they want as Joe is not an employee of the Browns. Don't underestimate the value of Bill Callahan...the kid will be great! So So Happy for the Browns and their fans!

Now onto our next pick...not quantity but QUALITY!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Their will be a Jedrick Willis section in the Joe Thomas Beach Comber Bar & Grill on the Isle .. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good read, as usual for Jake

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Becton had to be tempting, I mean that dude looks like a monster. He looks like at a minimum a dominator at RT. He just looks different than the other OTs....but he also may eat himself out of the league....

Wills has really good balance, he's a knee bender and he can roll out his hips pretty well. He's got that short, choppy, balanced, Joe Thomas looking kick step.

Wirfs just doesn't seem to have the balance that Wills does. Wirfs over strides on his kick step a lot. He gets his feet too vertical and opens his hips, I saw him get himself out of position far too often.

Look this is a good scheme fit for what we are trying to do....we are going to run the football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Their will be a Jedrick Willis section in the Joe Thomas Beach Comber Bar & Grill on the Isle .. thumbsup

It’s on the left side.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Did you see Becton’s dad?? That dude has to weigh 450 ... I mean, just massive

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
After sleeping on it, I feel better about this pick. I didn't think it was terrible yesterday, thought it was average, but today I feel much better about it.

We needed a LT, and there is no denying this kid has talent and Saban was really high on him.

I think we will be ok, Stephanski likes to run the ball and this kid is a road grader...Hunt and Chubb both gotta be licking their chops right now.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Did you see Becton’s dad?? That dude has to weigh 450 ... I mean, just massive

I said his dad looks like Jason Peters!

Also

O
Legend
Legend
O
I wanted Thomas. Then I was SUPER bummed when Simmons got past Carolina (where he was "supposed" to be taken) only to still be picked up before us. Hope raised and then dashed.

In the videos that I watched (emphasis here) it looks like Wills was playing on an island, only on the right side. He didn't appear to get all that much help.

That said, do we go out and get some vet help to band-aid the position while Wills learns on the fly? It sounds like between Callahan and a little bit of Joe Thomas, Wills will have the resources to make the jump, but I would still feel much better if he had someone to actually beat out. Peters comes to mind.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
He's not likely to be the 2nd Coming of Joe T, and he's definitely going to have his hiccups during the season, but I'm excited to see this team run the ball.

This offense has ZERO holes, now.
If Baker returns to 2018 form & efficiency, this has the potential to be Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

Now, we need a defense. First up: get younger at Free Safety.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
He's not likely to be the 2nd Coming of Joe T, and he's definitely going to have his hiccups during the season, but I'm excited to see this team run the ball.

This offense has ZERO holes, now.
If Baker returns to 2018 form & efficiency, this has the potential to be Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

Now, we need a defense. First up: get younger at Free Safety.

I hate to be the one to burst that bubble, but RG is still unsettled.

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
My boy’s gone ... that more than makes up for it ... thumbsup

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

@JWills73

Seems like they have already given Wills JT #73

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
My boy’s gone ... that more than makes up for it ... thumbsup

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Who's your boy Diam?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
Becton had to be tempting, I mean that dude looks like a monster. He looks like at a minimum a dominator at RT. He just looks different than the other OTs....but he also may eat himself out of the league....

Wills has really good balance, he's a knee bender and he can roll out his hips pretty well. He's got that short, choppy, balanced, Joe Thomas looking kick step.

Wirfs just doesn't seem to have the balance that Wills does. Wirfs over strides on his kick step a lot. He gets his feet too vertical and opens his hips, I saw him get himself out of position far too often.

Look this is a good scheme fit for what we are trying to do....we are going to run the football.

See, the reasoning you put there makes me think it wasn't tempting at all. It's why Wills was my top tackle.

To me, on film, Wills was the one that jumped out at me the most. Maybe not physically, and sure, there were things Becton could do that were ridiculous (essentially tossing guys around with one hand, which i doubt he'll be able to do in the NFL), Wills looked like a real professional out there. And a mean one at that.

It's the reason Wills is my top guy. I'm not sure he's going to be a Hall Of Fame Player. I do know, that hands down, he's one of the best pass blockers i've seen in awhile. IMO, Bud Dupree has been neutralized. And that makes me happy. From what i remember, TJ Watt rushes off the side that has the RT. Generally Carlos Dunlap does too.

But Baker can feel good knowing that when he drops back, his blindside will be protected by a very good passblocker

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Anyone else at least a little worried about the transition from right to left tackle?

D
Legend
Legend
D
C my sig ... guess its time for a change ... *L* ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I approve of the pick. However, I think we should actually watch him play in the NFL before we start making definitive proclamations about just how good he is.

Last year, a poster started a thread about how good Kitchens is. I said I would w/hold judgement until I saw him actually be the HC for most of a season.

Again, I like the pick at 10. It's just too early to start talking about him in such glowing terms. Of course, that is just my opinion.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Anyone else at least a little worried about the transition from right to left tackle?

Yes.

Legend
Legend

Nope.
While I will take anything Joe Thomas says in a player evaluation with a grain of salt as long as he is always so "diplomatic" in his reviews, I absolutely trust him when he talks technique and skills, and he feels it isn't an issue at all.

I would love it if one of the two was on a plane (or in a car starting a road trip) to the other today. It would be GREAT to get Joe to start Wills' transition by mirroring Joe's setup and consistency. Learn his kick step, etc..

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Yes.

I think some of Saban's comments and Wills' comments would make one wonder. I think him playing RT in high school makes one wonder.

On the other hand, he does seem to have pretty good feet. That's huge for having success at playing LT. He also has good knee bend. I think that is important, too.

He did protect Tua's blind side and that is a plus. I do have a question. Did Wills play RT when Hurts was the starter or was he a backup at that time?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard