Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know how his draft stock is trending. I'm not sure how you would determine that, especially in the present circumstances. I think he could play deep for the Browns and his skill set is better than most for FS.

Unless there is a run on Safeties in the second round and Delpit Mckinney and Winfield are all off the board I think pick 41 is too high for Davis.

No way he is BPA at pick 41. That's a reach for need.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Like I said, I had him as 3rd or 4th round pick initially. I was just responding to a post that said he was mocked to us in the second.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ashtyn Davis PFF big board #33

https://youtu.be/-1DkaQQUjac

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My statement wasn't meant as a shot at you. A lot of posters emphasize BPA all over the board. I also stated that given a run on Safeties I could understand taking him in round 2. I like him. But objectively he's not top 50.

I realize that different draft analysts will have him rated on their particular criteria.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I didn't take it as a shot, bro. It's cool. Just conversing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd like to have Davis on the Browns. Stopping the run is a greater importance to me. So I look to strengthen the IDL before addressing the secondary. Won't be long we'll see how it plays out.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Today is the first day that I saw Ashton Davis heading our way in the 2nd round. He did look good on film and has excellent Game day speed not just 40 speed in shorts.

As mentioned he had medical fall backs but one thing the combine does is a top to bottom investigation on them medically so we will have the info on that prior to the draft. Have we met with him in Video chat/or Skype ???

What I do know is Safety seems like the perfect position of need dropping to us at just the right time for our 2nd round pick and I expect to see us have a Left Tackle and a Safety with our two impact picks of 2020!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know enough about the safeties we signed to know how big a need safety is ... and of the two I don't know if FS or SS is the greater concern.

That said - my preference for any secondary player is instincts over measurables ... nice to have both and I don't know which do and do not have either or both in this year's draft class. But I am always a little leary of track speed guys ... a mis-step on an initial read negates nearly all the benefit of a fast 40 time. The CB's and Safeties who have enough burst and speed to recover from those mis-steps are very few and far between. A wrong angle to an open field ball carrier is catastrophic (see Peppers when he was asked to play deep) and a missed tackle is the same.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
There is enough athletic LB who fit physically more for a SS than LB or the many athletic Hybrid guys we saw in PEPPER and now in Murray from OK and others.

What I'm trying to spit out here is SS will be easier to fill than FS.

So if this kid Davis is a TRUE FS that should increase his value.

FS is considered or what you wish to get is one that fits the team value of Defensive backfield GENERAL who is intelligent in his film study and is THE GUY to make the calls on the field.

So again if this kid GRADES OUT to be a Field General then he is the guy and why I think McKinney from Alabama and Winfield from Minnesota, btw is he any relation to baseball great DAVE WINFIELD??? But they are considered to be Football intelligent to fit the position mentally as well as physically.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Not sure about him being related to Dave, but he is the son of Antoine Winfield Sr.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

What I'm trying to spit out here is SS will be easier to fill than FS.

Very true and I tried to bring that up in my OP.

There are a ton of guys who can play well in the box. A true FS who has great range, makes great reads, and can break on the ball is extremely hard to find.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I like to browse ProFootballReference.com and I was surprised to see that Eric Turner - maybe the best Browns' FS of all time - played SS his first two years in the league. He went to 2 Pro Bowls as a FS in the middle of his career, but then went back to SS in his last two years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TurnEr00.htm

Not that its a common occurrence, but its at least possible to find a SS with physical skills to convert to FS. Also, as someone else posted recently, I'm surprised some of the larger, more physical CB's don't convert to FS in their later career.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like to get ahead of my mistakes. After my post yesterday ironically I saw several rankings rating Davis as a second-round selection.

I also agree with EO, that he is ideally suited to play FS which is a more rare skillset particularly in this draft. I also feel Joseph will man the SS this year and possibly is a long-term option at the position lessening but not eliminating the need to draft another SS prospect.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yes, Joseph is a SS only. And I'm not that high on him in coverage. But, that's what you get w/a ton of SS types.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Myles Dorn seems intriguing - someone who can play both positions and is versatile would offer a lot of flexibility in scheme -

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/myles-dorn-has-pedigree-and-potential-to-be-nfl-starter

Great thread by the way.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That was good. Thanks.

Although, he better correct ducking that head while tackling. I like how he gets low, but keep the head up.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
After reading a lot of posts I didnt see this guy mentioned anywhere. He is a really interesting case and maybe a huge sleeper.

Kenny Robinson, Jr. | S | West Virginia/XFL
Elevator Pitch
Robinson’s unconventional route to the NFL draft is unproven and makes him somewhat of a risk, but the talent is there for him to blow everyone’s expectations of him out of the water. He’s a rangy, athletic and intelligent safety with the potential to be a steal later in the draft.

Vitals
Height | 6-1

Weight | 202

College Bio Page

Career Stats

XFL Stats

Strengths
If you like safeties who fit that centerfielder mold, then Robinson is a prospect you should get to know.

Robinson has crazy good range and has the lateral quickness and hip fluidity to be a reliable defender covering in single-high formations. He is a quick processor who is able to read the eyes of quarterbacks and diagnose the play before it comes to fruition. Once he makes that read, he is aggressive and quick in charging to close in on the ball and make a play. He can dominate in underneath coverage, as that allows him to accelerate downhill and jump a receiver’s route. The St. Louis Battlehawks star has very good ball skills too, as he can track down the ball and make difficult adjustments to it.

In addition to his athleticism, Robinson also possesses very good length for the safety position. His height and his long arms give him value if ever placed into man coverage or jump-ball situations. Regardless of the level he plays at, he is a rock-solid producer: he had 7 interceptions in his two seasons at West Virginia, and he had two picks in the five games he played in the XFL before the season shut down due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). In a league that’s pass-heavy, a ball-hawking safety like Robinson comes at a premium, so there will likely be a team who takes a chance on him due to his high ceiling. He also can lower the boom as a tackler and isn’t afraid to deliver a powerful hit to a ball-carrier.

Weaknesses
What makes Robinson a unique case is that nobody has ever followed his exact route to the NFL before. This version of the XFL is still brand-new, and he is the only player who has left the college ranks to play in the league. While other draft prospect were participating in the Combine and practicing for their Pro Days, Robinson was playing in games and intercepting former NFL players like Matt McGloin and Cardale Jones. He hasn’t had the benefit of having his 2019-20 tape out there for as long as college players have, which has made him a bit of a sleeper in this year’s class.

On the field, Robinson is still a work in progress as a tackler. The diagnosing abilities are there, but he’s inconsistent in his effort and the angles he takes in pursuit as a run defender. When he’s facing a ball-carrier head-on, he’s a bit of a catch tackler who waits for the ball-carriers to come to him, instead of him going to chase a defender down. From an angle, his form isn’t all that great, as he relies too much on his arms as a tackler, and he doesn’t always play at full speed. His underneath instincts are still developing, and the communication of duties between him and his teammates at cornerback is still a bit of a work in progress.

Projection: Day 3
Gallery

All Pro
All Pro
Kenny is my favorite 6th round pick.

Worse thing that could happen is we cut him if his character becomes a concern, setting a precident that whether or not you are drafted does not matter once you're on the team.

Besides, what other guy is going to be available with his skill set?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Sets up perfectly for us tomorrow

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully no safeties are drafted in the first nine picks today then we can take who we like the best like we did at LT smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I agree. I’m rooting for OL and WR to be selected early

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Xavier McKinney.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree. I’m rooting for OL and WR to be selected early

There are some very good RB's to be had too - could see 1 or 2 going before our pick.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

That recovery in the endzone for the pick wow. Some play there.

Legend
Legend
Good point

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Unless there is quite a run on Safeties the Browns should be able to get a really decent one if they choose to.

Ashtyon Davis is a very fast true free safety. Probably tghe best center-fielder of the bunch. While playing deep he has more int and pass break ups than allowed catches.

Jeremy Chinn is a very physical safety but probably more of a strong safety than a free safety. Can line up as a linebacker when needed. Could come in handy playing the Ravens

Antonie Winfield is also a very good safety. Smart and instinctive. Had injury issues but was healthy last year. Huge reason why Minnesota was so much better on defense last year. Probably more of a free safety.

Xavier McCinney a versatile safety that can play either free or strong. No as fast as the other safeties listed but is safe.

Grant Dilpit - Best cover safety in the draft. He is worthy of a trade up to get in my opinion. He is special. I do not see him there when we pick but at the same time Greedy fell to us last year so anything can happen.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

Okay, I asked this on another thread..........but, why isn't anyone mentioning Stone. Dude is excellent in coverage. What am I missing that no one is even talking about him on here?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Btw----I don't want a SS. I want a true FS who can patrol the deep parts of the field. A dude w/range. Also, a guy who we can cover slot receivers when need be. Say no to SS types.

2nd String
2nd String
I know this guy is projected to be available in round 3 but I doubt that is true —- I hope we grab him

#41 - Chinn S -- Safety prospect with compelling size, speed and athletic ability. He has man cover skills. Very willing and able as a tackler

BUT —- if we can get Ashtyn Davis then we could wait until round 3

Last edited by OrangeHelmet; 04/24/20 05:11 PM.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, getting Davis in round 3 would be great

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet
I know this guy is projected to be available in round 3 but I doubt that is true —- I hope we grab him

#41 - Chinn S -- Safety prospect with compelling size, speed and athletic ability. He has man cover skills. Very willing and able as a tackler

BUT —- if we can get Ashtyn Davis then we could wait until round 3

Davis probably has the best chance at being avalible in the 3rd round, because of medical questions ... a victim perhaps of the CCP virus.

And he has the best range of the deep Safety's in the Draft at the expense of physical attributes for the position.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The knock on Dilpit is that he misses a bunch of tackles.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Btw----I don't want a SS. I want a true FS who can patrol the deep parts of the field. A dude w/range. Also, a guy who we can cover slot receivers when need be. Say no to SS types.

I would like one of each

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Okay, I asked this on another thread..........but, why isn't anyone mentioning Stone. Dude is excellent in coverage. What am I missing that no one is even talking about him on here?

Help me out, what school does Stone go to?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Iowa. He’s projected as a ss

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He avoids tackles , lol ... this kid takes himself out of the game a bunch of times for looks like really minor stuff. PASS

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Drafting a Free Safety

Link Copied to Clipboard