Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Never heard of him. It was a position of need.

DT was a position of need?

Is drafting for need "smart?"

Yes, it was. Drafting for need is not smart at this point in the draft. However, he was our highest ranked player on our board.

Edit: I got confused on a tweet. He was the top player on PFF ‘s board.

Last edited by Pdawg; 04/24/20 11:23 PM.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You'll have to share your copy of the browns' draft board with us once this thing is over. tongue

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Meh, we "need" depth everywhere. We don't have any glaring holes, so I don't see us making many need reaches. Maybe some upside bets.

Linebacker. Glaring hole at linebacker.

And we're going to have a glaring hole at the premium position of DE (next year). So we gotta start thinking about that too

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Meh, we "need" depth everywhere. We don't have any glaring holes, so I don't see us making many need reaches. Maybe some upside bets.

Linebacker. Glaring hole at linebacker.

And we're going to have a glaring hole at the premium position of DE (next year). So we gotta start thinking about that too

Clowney is looking pretty pretty nice right now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You'll have to share your copy of the browns' draft board with us once this thing is over. tongue

See Mel Kiper's big board lol

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend

My bad. I fixed my post.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
You think that DT was a more pressing need than LBer?

Please...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Clowney is looking pretty pretty nice right now.

Eh, how's the DE class next year? Is there going to be College Football Next Year?

Legend
Legend
I didn’t say that. I simply said it was a position of need. You disagree?

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I Have to be Honest, I really like the Draft Format. I Love seeing the coaches and GM's with their Kids and players with their families. Very Nice and refreshing and way less commercial crap

Legend
Legend
I'm betting they had this DE rated higher than any LB that fits what we're looking for (if we're even looking at LB).

Personally, I definitely felt DT was definitely a need.
I know nothing about this cat, but what's been posted so far is promising.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Build up the middle ... FS, DT ..... LB next?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Yes. We have 3 guys that are decent. Richardson is very good. Ogunobi and the dude Billings are okay. I don't think any are great, but I don't think it is a position of need. Of course, I believe in BPA. Just not sure that Weaver is that guy.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Just take the BPA and I'm happy. Hit rate is more important than positional need.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Just take the BPA and I'm happy. Hit rate is more important than positional need.

At this point, I bet the draft has leveled out somewhat. I bet that's why we traded back.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Wash, rinse, repeat. Every year when evaluating picks. If I only knew as much about the game as you guys do.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes. We have 3 guys that are decent. Richardson is very good. Ogunobi and the dude Billings are okay. I don't think any are great, but I don't think it is a position of need. Of course, I believe in BPA. Just not sure that Weaver is that guy.

I agree that I don't see DT as a big need position. But, the guy looks like a 3 technique. I believe Billings is a 1 Tech, like Larry. Richardson can play all over the line effectively.

But, he's depth to add a penetrating pass rush up the middle on third down (at the very least)

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Netane Muti is still available, would make our O line one of the best in the NFL. This guy is a BULLY, nasty, tough. Problem is the injury stuff, this is why he isnt gone yet

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rottweiller
Netane Muti is still available, would make our O line one of the best in the NFL. This guy is a BULLY, nasty, tough. Problem is the injury stuff, this is why he isnt gone yet

Eh, Wyatt Teller is a bully, nasty, tough. I wanna see the guys we have at RG now get a shot this year.

Legend
Legend

I don’t think Weaver is the guy either. Elliot might be, I know nothing about him.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Wash, rinse, repeat. Every year when evaluating picks. If I only knew as much about the game as you guys do.

Maybe next year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's fair and he might end up being a good pick. I was just trying to offer an honest take. I don't know enough about him to make a definitive claim.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Excellent pick.

He doesn't get the credit with tackles and such, but he balls up plays.

O-gun needs to step up or this kid takes his spot.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Well, keep working at it and you just might. Start with the little details though, like the name (hint: it's not Weaver)

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Derek Forrest
@DerekFSpx
·
7m
Jordan Elliott: The Browns were the team I wanted to go to from the start. I can make a difference on that D-line #WEWS

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

lol, just do what i do.

Pay up for the Dane Bruegler Draft Guide (The Beast) and Jordan Reed's Draft Guide.

Browns select a player, and then i grab my iPad next to me and get to scrolling, lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
From the Athletic.

88. Cleveland Browns (from New Orleans): Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri
As long as you’re comfortable with the person, Elliott is a steal at this point in the draft. He is strong and slippery, using his hands to pepper blockers and get into the backfield. He plays tall and presents a large target for blockers, but as his instincts continue to improve, he does a better job shaking free from blocks. Elliott is a high-ceiling player for the Browns.

From the beat writer: The Browns added more depth and athleticism to their defensive front with the selection of Missouri defensive tackle Jordan Elliott at No. 88. Elliott (6-foot-4, 302) won’t be an immediate starter, but the Browns like his raw talent and his ability to play different spots across the defensive line. A transfer from Texas and a one-year starter at Missouri, Elliott was a second-team AP All-American last fall and led Missouri with 8.5 tackles for loss. Look for the Browns to continue to add athleticism and depth to their defense with their remaining four picks in this draft. —Zac Jackson

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The connotations around the word, "need" seem ill-conceived to me. Didn't we "need" a LT? We took one and we did it in round one. Was that a need pick? By inference a bad pick? The obvious answer is no. This simplistic notion of "need" would also make the Delpit pick a bad pick.

Picking for need is reaching for a prospect who fills a position but whose evaluation ranks him below the slot where he is drafted. It absolutely does not mean selecting a prospect who solves a problem or improves a weakness on your roster if you are not over-drafting the player.

Another subjective way of looking at a need is taking a player to fill a position when there is another player at a different position who is substantially higher rated. The question becomes is this your rating or the professional talent evaluators' evaluation?

IMO the team needs to improve its run-stopping ability. Given all the IDL who were already drafted, it was not a reach to draft Elliot where he was taken.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Well, keep working at it and you just might. Start with the little details though, like the name (hint: it's not Weaver)

Well, you own the board and can dictate things........but, I think most folks know who knows the most about football on this board.

Legend
Legend
Neither one of us, that's for sure.

Browns is the Browns

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Neither one of us, that's for sure.

You guys are too kind.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Well, you own the board and can dictate things........but, I think most folks know who knows the most about football on this board.

D
1st String
1st String
D
That's fair and he might end up being a good pick. I was just trying to offer an honest take. I don't know enough about him to make a definitive claim.

The NFL Network's Reaction Show is saying Jordan Elliott a steal where we drafted him. High Ceiling player. Apparently there was a injury that slowed down his development.

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
Between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, Elliott lost 30 pounds by cutting out red beef and chicken from his diet and mainly ate turkey, fish and vegetables. When Elliott started college, he was over 330 pounds. He'll leave Missouri and enter Cleveland at a much slimmer - and, perhaps, faster - 302 pounds.

From the Browns App.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
From what I’ve read that’s pretty true ... he’s got a lot of raw disruptive qualities, but hasn’t turned that into a lot of production

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I guess it depends on what you consider production.

From what I hear, he disrupts a lot of plays.

To me, that is production even if it doesn't show in the stat line.

His coach knows.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. Good Morning, I believe we got a real good player in Elliott. We desperately needed a fresh leg rotation at DT. When Sheldon and Larry needed a break, we had nobody who gave quality reps last year. I think Billings and Elliott in that rotation gives us a lot more juice. Depth is such a huge need in the 2nd half of games and season.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. I think it a excellent pick. The guy has a way of balling up plays.

He may not get the tackle or sack, but his efforts lead to that. He is a good player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. From what I've heard and read about him, Elliot is a good pick that should get better. Solid player.

M
Legend
Legend
M

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jordan Elliott with the 88th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard