Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
NY Post

7) Cleveland Browns
Grade: A-

Key Picks: Jedrick Wills (OT, Alabama), Grant Delpit (S, LSU), Jordan Elliott (DT, Missouri)

Analysis: Wills and top free agent Jack Conklin as offensive line bookends will improve Baker Mayfield. Second-rounder Delpit was a top-10 talent and is a steal if he cuts down missed tackles.

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
1h
Finished up the @PFF draft grades. The 4 teams that earned A+ drafts:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

I'm a bit tougher on the draft than these guys are. I'm still annoyed we traded back and got NO's 3rd next year.. that going to amount to a 4th. It was a needless move IMO.

I'm thinking borderline A- to a strong B+

I'm thinking life got much better for Bake. Getting the *ichigan guy was a great move. The first 2 pick are solid. We'll see about the TE.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
C
Legend
Legend
C
F

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After Day 2, I was feeling somewhat underwhelmed. On an emotional scale of 0-10, I was a '4'. After Day 3 (and further research/reflection), I was trending upwards and settled at a '7'. IMO, this draft (as an entirety) was more about quantity rather than pure quality...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 04/25/20 09:02 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
no way would I grade our draft better than the Ravens. i rate it as a solid 'B' . Top 3rd of the 32 Teams, IMO.

Legend
Legend
No grades for me ... I’ll just say I’m happy with a semblance of a plan (and maneuvered a bit to garner future assets) ... we addressed some weaknesses and obviously drafted to fit our offensive schemes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
We are a better team with fewer holes. On paper.

We get positive marks for getting well regarded players at positions of need.

The rest is undetermined. They gotta earn it, now.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
Finished up the
@PFF
draft grades. The 4 teams that earned A+ drafts:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
So many promising looking drafts over the years flopped that I simply can't call the quality of the draft until I see the players play for a season or two.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too early to tell. I like Wills, Delpit, and DPJ where we got him. The others I don't know. Bryant looks impressive.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
F

Oh don't just not elaborate:

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm guessing it's a Wirfs thing.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was solid. I'd give it a B. The Ravens just hit every ball out of the park, which is so annoying.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: BpG
It was solid. I'd give it a B. The Ravens just hit every ball out of the park, which is so annoying.

+1000

Legend
Legend
Overall I’m happy. I didn’t like the Phillips pick and am still unsure of the Jordan Elliot pick.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
AFC NORTH
CINCINNATI BENGALS
Round 1 (1): QB Joe Burrow, LSU
Round 2 (33): WR Tee Higgins, Clemson
Round 3 (65): LB Logan Wilson, Wyoming
Round 4 (107): LB Akeem Davis-Gaither, App State
Round 5 (147): Edge Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame
Round 6 (180): T Hakeem Adenji, Kansas
Round 7 (215): LB Markus Bailey, Purdue

Day 1: Joe Burrow was an easy pick for the Bengals with the first overall selection. He was the best prospect in the class, coming in at first on the PFF Big Board, and he is coming off the best season at quarterback that we’ve seen since we started grading college games in 2014. His 94.1 passing grade in 2019 was over three points higher than any other qualifying SEC quarterback over these past six years, driven by outstanding accuracy to all levels of the field.

“He demolished college football in a way we’ve never seen before. Burrow is easily the most accurate quarterback we’ve ever scouted and looks NFL ready in every regard.” — PFF’s lead draft analyst Mike Renner

Day 2: There were all kinds of options available to Cincinnati at the top of the second round, and Tee Higgins at that selection makes a lot of sense, both as A.J. Green insurance and a piece that can add to the offense alongside him and Tyler Boyd. He has a monstrous catch radius, and made plenty of plays downfield. His 15 receptions of 20 or more yards downfield last season were the most in the class among Power 5 wide receivers. He also has more ability after the catch than you would expect for someone his size, with 10 or more broken tackles in each of the past two seasons.

We were lower on Logan Wilson than many, as he came in at 110th on our board, but the filling of a need is clear here. He showed at the Combine that he was athletic enough to be a three-down linebacker in the NFL, but the concern is how his game will translate as a coverage defender in the NFL. He earned grades above 80.0 in coverage in both 2018 and 2019, but he wasn’t asked to do much at Wyoming, particularly in the way of man coverage. The fact that Cincinnati has still yet to address the offensive line was surprising through two days.

Day 3: The two off-ball linebackers Cincinnati targeted on Day 3 are good athletes with injury concerns, but both could develop into formidable contributors for the team.

Davis-Gaither got the starting nod in the overhang role for App State back in 2018 in his redshirt junior season. He put on a show that year, earning an 83.6 run-defense grade and a 75.9 coverage grade while generating seven pass breakups. He added to his bag of tricks when he returned for his senior year and the coaching staff decided to deploy him as a blitz weapon. He rushed the passer 190 times this past season, registering 25 pressures and an 82.2 pass-rushing grade in the process. That high pass-rushing grade means those pressures were no fluke. Davis-Gaither was beating offensive tackles to rack up those bad boys, oftentimes in impressive fashion. He also built upon his excellent run-defense grade to earn an 87.1 this past season. All that adds up to one of the most well-rounded linebackers in college football.

With multiple ACL injuries over his career, Bailey's draft stock is in the hands of doctors now. He's one of the most productive and versatile linebackers in the class when healthy, though. He ranked inside the top-50 among qualifying off-ball linebackers in PFF grade in 2017 and 2018.

Draft Grade: A

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Round 1 (10): T Jedrick Wills, Alabama
Round 2 (44): S Grant Delpit, LSU
Round 3 (88): DI Jordan Elliott, Missouri
Round 3 (97): LB Jacob Phillips, LSU
Round 4 (115): TE Harrison Brant, FAU
Round 5 (160): IOL Nick Harris, Washington
Round 6 (187): WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

Day 1: There were some concerns that there may be a run of tackles prior to the Browns’ selection, but they were left with their pick of the top options sans Andrew Thomas. Wills came in as PFF’s OT3 — and the 11th player overall on PFF’s Big Board — and he was the top tackle on a lot of boards out there, drawing a player comp to Lane Johnson in the PFF Draft Guide. He has special explosion and agility for someone that large and should be able to immediately make an impact in the run game after earning a 90.5 run-blocking grade with the Crimson Tide in 2019.

“His ability to crush a double team then take a linebacker for a ride is special for a college tackle prospect.” PFF’s lead draft analyst Mike Renner

Day 2: The Browns were able to pick up not one, not two, but three top-25 players on the PFF Big Board. Two of those players came at selections 44 and 88, which is a testament to the value Cleveland was able to get.

Delpit fell down boards largely due to his concerns as a tackler, but what he is able to do in coverage is special. He has tremendous instincts and ability to read and break on routes, he has smooth movement skills on the back end of a defense and he has the kind of length that can give bigger wide receivers or tight ends problems in the slot. That playmaking ability is apparent when flipping on the tape from his 2018 season when he recorded five interceptions and seven pass breakups.

Elliott was an even bigger steal in the third round. He has a solid combination of size and athleticism, and from a production standpoint, you can argue that no interior defender in this class has been better. Elliott has the highest overall grade of any interior defender in the class over the last two seasons. He is coming off a 2019 campaign in which he earned grades of 90.0 or higher as both a run defender and pass-rusher. Getting that kind of player — the 23rd-ranked player on the PFF Big Board — at No. 88 is tremendous value.

“He has all the makings of a player who can develop into a versatile starter with plenty of upside in the NFL.” – PFF senior writer Ben Linsey

As for Jacob Phillips, this looks like more of a reach than the other selections for the Browns, with guys like Troy Dye and Akeem Davis-Gaither still on the board at linebacker. From an athletic standpoint, Phillips has the explosion and burst that you like, but the change of direction ability isn’t quite there. That is something that’s likely to show up in coverage.

Day 3: Bryant isn't athletic enough to pass for a receiver and not strong enough to be a traditional tight end. Unless he transforms his body one way or another, he'll be in no man's land in the NFL. He did, however, improve his overall grade every year of his collegiate career and finished the pre-draft process inside the top-150 on PFF’s Big Board.

Harris ground out 2,921 snaps on the Huskies’ offensive line over the past four years. During his true freshman campaign in 2016, Harris saw four starts but was mostly rotated in at both left and right guard and earned just a 47.6 grade in pass protection. He was then moved to the starting role at right guard in 2017 and improved his pass-blocking grade to an average 63.3. He was moved to center after that, where he has thrived as a starter over the last two years. Harris improved in both pass protection and in run blocking, leading to a PFF overall grade that was among the 20 best FBS centers in both 2017 and 2018. If there’s a center you want playing out in space either in the running game or on screens, it’s Harris. The scary thing is that he’s just scratching the surface technique-wise.

The physical tools may be there from a testing perspective, but we never saw them consistently translate to separation down the football field with Peoples-Jones. Without another trump card, it's difficult to be convinced with his lack of production.

Draft Grade: A+

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Round 2 (49): WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
Round 3 (102): EDGE Alex Highsmith, Charlotte
Round 4 (124): RB Anthony McFarland Jr., Maryland
Round 4 (135): IOL Kevin Dotson, Louisiana
Round 6 (198): S Antoine Brooks Jr., Maryland
Round 7 (232): DI Carlos Davis, Nebraska

Day 1: The Steelers were without a first-round pick in this year’s draft after trading what became the 18th overall pick in exchange for Minkah Fitzpatrick. It’s hard to think that they’re regretting that decision too much at this point. Fitzpatrick is still just 23, and he brought a much-needed dose of playmaking to the back end of Pittsburgh’s secondary. Over the first two weeks of the season, the Steelers ranked 27th in team coverage grade, but they improved to second from Weeks 3 to 17 after trading for Fitzpatrick.

Day 2: There was a lot of discussion of the Steelers going running back with their Round 2 selection, but they made the right call here by going with a player who can win downfield instead. Claypool has a freakish physical profile at 6-foot-4 and nearly 240 pounds with a 4.42-second 40-yard dash and a vertical jump over 40 inches. He also made plenty of plays down the football field at Notre Dame in 2019, pulling in 16 receptions on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield (tied most in the class). The concern is that he won more with physicality than separation, not quite playing as fast as his 40 time would indicate, but there’s a lot of potential for him on this Steelers offense as a downfield threat.

Highsmith was listed in the PFF Draft Guide as lead draft analyst Mike Renner’s sleeper in this edge class, and the back end of Round 3 is about where he was slated to come off the board. His 91.4 pass-rushing grade this past season is excellent, but that has to be taken with a grain of salt given the level of competition he faced at Charlotte. That said, there are some nice things to work with in Highsmith. He just has a ways to go before becoming an NFL starter. Expect him to continue to develop behind T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree.

Day 3: Dotson has the strength to stick at guard in the NFL, but pass protection will be a concern from the jump. He's a late-rounder you hope can make considerable strides with NFL coaching. He earned an impressive 92.1 overall grade this past season and finished the pre-draft process ranked 160th on PFF’s Big Board.

Brooks looked far more comfortable playing in the box in 2018 than he was manning the slot last season. Yet another player whose best bet is at linebacker in the league.

Draft Grade: B-

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Round 1 (28): LB Patrick Queen, LSU
Round 2 (55): JK Dobbins, Ohio State
Round 3 (71): DI Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
Round 3 (92): WR Devin Duvernay, Texas
Round 3 (98): LB Malik Harrison, Ohio State
Round 3 (106): iOL Tyre Phillips, Mississippi State
Round 4 (143): IOL Ben Bredeson, Michigan
Round 5 (170): DI Broderick Washington, Texas Tech
Round 6 (201): WR James Proche, SMU
Round 7 (219): S Geno Stone, Iowa

Day 1: This Patrick Queen selection at 28 was one of PFF’s favorite picks of the first round, especially after the Los Angeles Chargers moved up to take a linebacker at pick 23 and the Seattle Seahawks went linebacker right in front of Baltimore at 27, and both teams took players we ranked significantly lower than Queen at the position. Queen is an elite athlete who can bring positive play in coverage (81.8 coverage grade in 2019) and get sideline to sideline on that defense. He may not have the ability to take on blockers in the run game like some of the other prospects in the class, but his explosiveness and smoothness as an athlete more than makes up for that.

Day 2: After nailing the Queen selection, Dobbins at No. 55 isn’t a move that brings a whole lot of value to this offense for us. He has clearly been uber-productive at Ohio State over the course of his career, rushing for over 2,000 yards last season along with three consecutive seasons of 78.7-plus rushing grades. The issue is that they didn’t need to go running back here, especially with how much space is created by a Ravens rushing attack that is spearheaded by Lamar Jackson and what was one of the better offensive lines in the NFL just a season ago.

Then, there were all the third-round picks — four in total. Madubuike at pick 71 provides a player with a strong history of stuffing the run (run-defense grades of 87.0 or higher each of the past two years) and solid production as a pass-rusher. Duvernay brings more speed, yards-after-the-catch ability and solid hands to this wide receiving corps, but just don’t ask him to win on routes downfield. Malik Harrison is much more of a downhill player at linebacker than Queen, but his proficiency as a blitzer at Ohio State (38 pressures over last two seasons) should play well on a defense that blitzed significantly more than any other defense in 2019. Lastly, Tyre Phillips is more likely than not to kick inside to guard at the NFL level. He has issues in pass protection, but the Ravens should be able to use his strength and body-moving ability in the run game.

Day 3: Stone is one of the most underrated safeties in the draft class. His processing and quicks are a fit for every defense in the NFL. You may not want him in the box, but he can easily rotate between deep and the slot.

Considered a three-star recruit by 247Sports coming out of Pennsylvania’s New Castle High School, Geno Stone received some interest from several Power 5 schools, but Iowa was the only school to offer him. According to Iowa’s official athletic site, Stone earned first-team All-State honors as a senior defensive back. He was a three-year letterman and played defensive back, wide receiver and quarterback for New Castle. He also lettered in basketball and track in sprints and jumps.

Stone dominated in coverage throughout his career for the Hawkeyes. On his 883 coverage snaps over the last three years, Stone had put together one of the best coverage grades in the country at 91.8. He’s played a majority of his snaps deep, and that’s exactly where he belongs — he played over 600 snaps at free safety in his career and has been responsible for only 137 yards while intercepting three passes and forcing seven incompletions. While Stone has been good in the box, he’s nowhere near the same elite player when playing deep, which is evidenced by the 71.1 overall grade that he’s earned in the box over his career.

Proche's ball skills are elite enough to see the field in the NFL. He may be pigeonholed to the slot, though, as he struggled to create for himself.

Draft Grade: B

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Solid Draft

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I think Cincy, Baltimore, and us all had good drafts ... the Steelers didnt have many picks of course.

I think all 3 teams will be better this year, it’s just if we all can figure out how to stop Lamar

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

Seems like a well measured logical response.

I wonder if he is some OSU homer mad we didn't take Malik Harrison in the 4th round.

The draft is always a good exercise for me to understand which posters opinions I should never value ever again.

Go cheer for the Ravens cfrs15.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
F

I wonder if he is some OSU homer mad we didn't take Malik Harrison in the 4th round.

The draft is always a good exercise for me to understand which posters opinions I should never value ever again.

cfrs is a Cali dude. I don’t believe he likes the Buckeyes.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Its a general rule that other team's picks always look better than ours.
Doesn't make it true.

I'm very happy with our picks as they address areas of need and all seem to be credible good picks. Now just gotta prove it.

For once we have a year where people aren't hurling themselves off cliffs about the picks. That's a good thing. John Dorsey gets credit for that because he shored up our skill positions in major ways.

#bringbackjohndorsey

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

Andrew Berry meets with the media following the conclusion of the 2020 NFL Draft.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Overall I’m happy. I didn’t like the Phillips pick and am still unsure of the Jordan Elliot pick.

Odd I really didn't mind those two picks...mine was the TE we drafted seems very pedestrian...But not a bad draft by any means.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns are going to have a tough time competeing against the Ravens, and the Steelers had a good draft too.

The Bengals still don't know what they are doing,

The Balance of power in the AFC North, did not shift in the Browns favor in the last 2 days.

The Coaches, and team, are going to have to show major development and progression in their effectiveness to end with a winning record and a playoff berth.

Stefanski is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat!

But we knew that going in.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'd say it's probably , Baun was there on the board and you traded down, and he was taken with the pick you gave up.

Malik Harrison looked better at the same position as the player you took the linebacker out of LSU Phillips, for shaking off blocks and looking to bring more intensity on hits,

And the OT you took at 10# was matched by other teams in your division, Same with the Defensive Tackle,

So basically, it can be argued, you picked them at the better spots, but what really matters, what's on your team, didn't beat out your division rivals for improvement
and they didn't start out with picks in the top 20

Cept for the Bengals, The bengals still don't know what they are doing, and nothing they did scares me, beyond Joe Burrow which was an accepted thing to begin with. So the Bengals didn't get better.

But the Ravens D did, and the Steelers did too, and the Browns filled holes,
and the only problem the writers have with the Ravens is they didn't need, they didn't have need where they improved.

They ran roughshod on offense last year for most of the league, and they had 10 picks, and don't be blind, it's going to be tuff to compete against them
which know how to develop their own players.

Don't kid ourselves

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
F

I think that his F is facetious.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
On paper, this team as it is is considered a top 10 most talented team in the NFL.

On paper this draft looked wonderful because it filled needs that we desperately needed and helped shore up depth that we desperately needed. I don't feel that this front office did anything wrong with what they drafted. There was no major move that would leave us wondering if we've stunted ourself in the future. There was no overreach on some player that we hope turns out. They even looked toward the future and picked up extra pics.

This is the first time in a long time that I can look at this team and go... there's no reason why this team shouldn't make the playoffs with the talent that this team has... on paper.

I think we can solidly say that it's up to Berry and Stefanski to make this team run at its highest level.

The team quit last year. I want to see this team play a whole 16 games this year (should things go back to normal)

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
NY Post

7) Cleveland Browns
Grade: A-

Key Picks: Jedrick Wills (OT, Alabama), Grant Delpit (S, LSU), Jordan Elliott (DT, Missouri)

Analysis: Wills and top free agent Jack Conklin as offensive line bookends will improve Baker Mayfield. Second-rounder Delpit was a top-10 talent and is a steal if he cuts down missed tackles.

Mike Renner
@PFF_Mike
·
1h
Finished up the @PFF draft grades. The 4 teams that earned A+ drafts:

Cowboys
Broncos
Browns
Cardinals

I'm a bit tougher on the draft than these guys are. I'm still annoyed we traded back and got NO's 3rd next year.. that going to amount to a 4th. It was a needless move IMO.

I'm thinking borderline A- to a strong B+

I'm thinking life got much better for Bake. Getting the *ichigan guy was a great move. The first 2 pick are solid. We'll see about the TE.

None the less, it is still a 3rd rounder. You can get good players there. Plus, those two 3rd rounders can turn in to another 2nd round pick or another 1st if you want to move up for another 1st rounder.

I like having added ammo heading in to the next draft. It gives you added options of trading up or trading down.

Face it, that is the strategy. Embrace it. We are going to do that most years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I always think “Did we get better?” ... I have to say yes, and probably much better. We filled some gaps in our roster (LT and FS)

B
Legend
Legend
B
F

Come on man. We agree on many things, that just isn't credible.

If you had said C or C+ , I might have asked you why you thought is that low and listened.

An F?? No way. Even if Wills is a bit short for LT, if he can't make it there, he is going to be a good RT or a really good guard. That does have value even if that wasn't what you were drafting for. The guy is a good player. Delpit, a guy who played well at the top of the chain. Some of the middle round guys I don't know much about. That 6th round receiver, he is a steal. He is a good player.

He will make us proud, even if he is a Michigan guy and a Big 10 guy. If I was in charge, pretty much just draft SEC guys, but I am not the smartest egg in the carton so cool, he was a good pick. Excellent pick for the 6th round.

It wasn't a F. We were a B at minimum. Probably in the A range.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is this and I'm trying to be realistic as we are now out of our Expansion mode and will be more and more competitive.

This is what I know. Our two biggest holes going into this draft was Left Tackle and Safety. We got two of the best for their positions. The first and second rounds are where your 1st year IMPACT picks are. The teams that hit it there become the most productive. The rest of the rounds its a place to take prospects that can work hard to become contributors.

We took the bull by the horns and took care of two very important Needs of the team!

Jordan Elliot will get the opportunity to put in quality reps while giving our starters a rest, we have 5 solid DTs and some pretty good top end talent. Richardson is one of the best!

We got a LB who can contribute to special teams while he gets acclimated to the NFL. He has some excellent features and played on the best college team of 2019. I know he wasn't OSU but the kid can play football! Lets see what he does with his opportunity. He has excellent LENGTH and good explosion. I think he is VERY UNDERRATED as a pass defender. That will be the key for us and his production.

The next 3 picks in rounds 4, 5 and 6 were by far quality BPA's Hunter Bryant a top 100 player with some good size and speed but I think he was over looked because of his height (6'2"). But the kid can play FOOTBALL which is key! He has those big hands and he reminds me of Hernandez the Murderer, but he plays a lot like him.

Nick Harris...over achiever, all he does is get better again the amateur scouts didn't like his HEIGHT...For center who cares about that meaningless spec. He has good lateral speed for our system and hopefully we won't need to start for quite several seasons. But he is smart and all the reports on him is that he will work the HARDEST!

6th round DPJ...Has a lot of DJ metcalf in him lets see what he does with his extraordinary specs! What else can you ask for in a 6th round pick. Right now maybe some red zone reps but its what he can do on our special teams in 2020.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Did anyone catch this yesterday?

65% of all NFL Rosters are comprised of Players drafted in Rounds 4 thru 7 and UDFA's.

Never thought about that. That's interesting. Salary Cap plays a role.

No wonder the CBA passed. Lol.

Last edited by kwhip; 04/26/20 08:33 AM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
EO, I loved everything you said, it keeps me from having to type it all out.
1 thing , we drafted Harrison Bryant, TE, FAU, not Hunter from Wash. Our guy is 6'5 the guy you mentioned is the 6'2 guy. Sorry to point that out , but our guy is better. Go Browns

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
That's why teams like Seattle always trade during the draft, it's the more swings of the bat theory. Each draft is usually loaded at certain positions, this year it appeared to be at WR. Grabbing a stud in the later rounds due to the sheer numbers is huge for the salary cap as you pointed out.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
It looks like on paper the Browns got some players that can make
Plays Right away and contribute.
But like anything else its a wait and see issue

So many years every Browns draft got overhyped and what happens,
4 -12 seasons. Intresting how many SEC players were drafted.
But it seems like coach and GM were on same page for once

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Every year I feel however I feel after the draft but 2-3 years later I look back and realize the same thing. 50-75% of the guys will be gone or lower level rotation guys and if you get 3 solid starters you did great. This is true for every team in the league. I think, to my unpolished eye, we have potential for 4 eventual starters out of our haul, which probably means 2, but a lot will depend on coaching, team stability, injuries etc. Two solid starters and a couple of rotation guys three years from now is not a bad draft considering Browns draft history. If we do better than that, it’s an unequivocally great draft. Any draft that produces a single probowler or position group lynchpin is a great draft regardless. I don’t see any potential probowlers but who knows. Again, this is true for any team in the league IMO.

Also, there will have been lots of chatter about mid-level guys and people will be upset or happy about us drafting them or not but the vast majority of the time they’re pretty forgettable in 3 years. Not always, but most of the time. The same is not true for 1st rounders as far as I can tell but strongly held opinions either way about players in rounds 3 on often look foolish a few years later.

Grades are silly right after the draft, we all know that. There’s zero point. It’s like trying to predict the weather on this day in 3 years. One thing I will say is that’s it pretty obvious to me that the team is using a lot of the same data analysis techniques and emphasis as PFF so of course we grade highly with them. Whether that translates to field, we’ll see.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend

Funny every year I hear all the GM's of every team say we draft BPA.

Then the draft happens and it seems to a large degree that all the picks just happen to address what was listed as needs. Then the media grades the draft by addressing needs.

In the Browns case it appears that to a degree need intersected BPA. At least with Wills. The trade down and getting Delpit was a target and value move. They moved down and got Delpit to address a need but made sure that that they got him where he was valued.

The rest of the picks? The TE may have been a BPA pick. It seems like he was too good to pass on at that spot.

I like the Peoples pick at where he was taken. After Odell and Jarvis we seem thin. This guy has all the physical tools to excel. Why he didn't seems to be in question. Was it him not trying or the team not handling him right?

I don't pay much attention to draft grades. I mean hell if there are a million questions on who to draft. How can there not be questions on how they will actually play?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Did anyone catch this yesterday?

65% of all NFL Rosters are comprised of Players drafted in Rounds 4 thru 7 and UDFA's.

Never thought about that. That's interesting. Salary Cap plays a role.

No wonder the CBA passed. Lol.

I heard that and I don't actually believe it - sounded more like a talking head spouting off some hype to make you stay and watch.

I found this before the draft and posted it - and it seems to squash the claim that was made by the host of the draft:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015...n/#6cb8cb0f7495

1) Correlation between Draft Position and "Starter Status"

Using Pro Football Reference as a resource, I looked at all players who were classified as starters at the beginning of the 2014 season to determine what round they were drafted in upon entering the league. Of the 595 players designated as such, the results reveal the following:

Round Freq. Percent Cuml
1 178 29.9 29.9
2 104 17.5 47.4
3 75 12.6 60.0
4 64 10.8 70.8
5 38 6.4 77.2
6 29 4.9 82.0
7 25 4.2 86.2
Undrafted 81 13.6 99.8
Supplemental 1 0.2 100.0
Total 595 100

While the data is from 2014 - I have to think any variance will be small. According to this the starters in NFL taken in rounds 1-2-3 account for 60% of the total. It seems unlikely that the backups would vary enough from this % to flip the total number of players on a roster to 65% coming from rounds 4-7.

Also the stat discussed below that talks about how long careers are in the NFL - players in rounds 1-2-3 have WAY longer careers on average than players in rounds 4-7. Making it almost impossible for that claim to of 65% of the roster come from rounds 4-7 to be true.

Not saying they don't play a big part in any teams roster or that it's not important to find some contributors in those rounds .... just that the claim made on TV was not accurate.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It was a relatively safe draft with projectable players that should range anywhere from good backups to great starters.

Wills and Delpit can be anywhere from good to great. I think Elliot and Harris are likely starters, while Phillips and Bryant are situational players with starter upside. DPJ is a risky pick but can provide some serious value to special teams. Blocked something like 3 or 4 field goals and was a punt and kick returner.

If you want to break it down into even more simple terms:

Wills is an upgrade to Robinson, even if he's a better RT or G

Delpit is likely a wash in his first season for Randall, but with a better attitude

Elliot is a significant upgrade to...Ekuale?

Phillips is likely the same as Takitaki

Bryant is an upgrade to either Seals-Jones or Pharaoh Brown

Harris is a HUGE upgrade to Corbett

DPJ should be a same or better player than Hodge.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So 26.3% of starters from rounds 4 on. That doesn’t really surprise me and jibes pretty well with what I said in the post above. About twice as many from rounds 4-7 as UDFA’s.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Not for nothing, this management team seems to be saying, while we love the players that were here that did a good job (Schobert and Kirksey and a few others) it's time to crank it up and doing a good job isn't enough.

Let's see if we picked the guys that can meet or exceed that challenge.

it does appear that we filled all the holes that were there.. LT, DT, S, LB.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft your thoughts on our draft? Much too early grades etc..

Link Copied to Clipboard