Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Another interesting fact (that’s pretty unbelievable if true) ... Higgins is the FIRST browns drafted WR to reach his 2nd contract with us

michael bode
@mgbode_WFNY
Replying to
@MikeBCSN
Yes. He's the FIRST ONE in the Browns expansion era that started in 1999. There are kids who are of legal drinking age born in this era, yet Higgins is the first second contract WR signed.

That can’t be true, can it?

Wasn't Kevin Johnson with us for 5 years? I can't believe he didn't get a second contract. He was a second round pick.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Another interesting fact (that’s pretty unbelievable if true) ... Higgins is the FIRST browns drafted WR to reach his 2nd contract with us

michael bode
@mgbode_WFNY
Replying to
@MikeBCSN
Yes. He's the FIRST ONE in the Browns expansion era that started in 1999. There are kids who are of legal drinking age born in this era, yet Higgins is the first second contract WR signed.

It's true:

http://pfref.com/tiny/gKlTB

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Wasn't Kevin Johnson with us for 5 years? I can't believe he didn't get a second contract. He was a second round pick.

That was my first thought as well. According to this: https://apnews.com/e23377d70171c56d5fab199cb76922e4

... he signed an "extension" for 4 years, before getting cut the next year. Maybe that's not the same thing. tongue

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

That was my first thought as well. According to this: https://apnews.com/e23377d70171c56d5fab199cb76922e4

... he signed an "extension" for 4 years, before getting cut the next year. Maybe that's not the same thing. tongue

Right. So he didn't reach his second contract but signed an extension.

Also, who cuts a guy after he signs a four year extension?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Which is also weird, because that says he played till 2005, but the 2 articles I found about it said that Butch Davis cut him in 2003. Even our team records are sketchy.

Edit: Ahh ... those are his career years, not team years. He played for two more with other teams after we cut him.

Last edited by ExclDawg; 04/28/20 05:08 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Icing on the cake ... but the cherry on the cake would be another DE.

[Linked Image]

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

Do people put cherries on cakes?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

YES!!!

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't know about cherries on cakes, but my aunt used to put grape jelly between layers of her cakes. It wasn't good.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

YES!!!

I thought when people said "with a cherry on top" they were talking about ice cream.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I knew a Cheri that came out of a cake once!! Wait is that the same?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

YES!!!

I thought when people said "with a cherry on top" they were talking about ice cream.

It can be, if your metaphor is ice cream.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But what are you doing discussing cherries ... don't you have a ship that is sailing to catch?
rofl

[Linked Image]

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
But what are you doing discussing cherries ... don't you have a ship that is sailing to catch?
rofl

It sank.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rofl

It sank.

... *L* ...

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rottweiller
I knew a Cheri that came out of a cake once!! Wait is that the same?
thats how i met my girlfriend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Last year had to of been the weirdest year for me as a Brown's fan. First there was this expectation like never before from so many cause we signed one guy who as it turned out was injured.

Higgins sort of defined what happened. Obviously he was in some sort of dog house. I could not figure it out as he was so instrumental in our amazing 2018 finish. He was an instant success with Baker as he the QB was not allowed to work out with the starters so that Higgins was one of the few on the field to have had any repoire with the young rookie QB.

Enter year two and now we have a new HC a new playbook and a Hollywood type of atmosphere as the WRs took over the character of the team. WR mentality just doesn't bode well with football. So much went wrong. We called plays we executed enough to have a top rusher in the League as well as two 1,000 yard WRs something the Browns never experienced and yet we were still losing. Higgins couldn't get on the field and when he would there would not be success. I think it defined our season. We went Hollywood ironically without the guy nicknamed Hollywood...

It time to close our eyes and shake off whatever happened last year. Who knows what it was expect not up to expectations. And yet, if our amazing DE Garrett does not get suspended for 6 games we would have won a total of 8-9 games at the least. Just probably the weirdest season I have ever experienced.

I stated from day one, me Mr. Homer while everyone was saying how great we were I stated that we had pretty bad OTs and I could not see the addition of one great WR would secure a great season. We had key deficiencies. Woah! Me, saying Woah to enthusiasm and Positives.

Well now we got NEW AGAIN, another reboot. Dorsey the creator of 2019 gone, Kitchen's gone Wilkes gone. So much good was done but it was superficial I guess cause for whatever reason it just didn't work.

Hopefully Ski will turn this around and create an environment of success without of course having any success. All those high expectations are gone but hopefully this time around we will be sneaky GOOD! and fool everyone once again.... fingerscrossed

I'm keeping an eye on Higgins I think he is better than Ratley, Montgomery and Hodge. the Rookie will get a pass for 2020 so the battle begins. I'm looking for Higgins to fly up the chart and become our #3 WR once again. I also maintain that Njoku is actually our #3 WR but his status is unknown as it was injury related.

Higgins is the key for us to view and know that all things are back to normal and we will be over achievers and not Hollywood Under Achievers.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
It was at our prom. Not proud of some things . . . . naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’d post the warrant video for cherry pie but it’s awful.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I'm glad he's back, but I'm not sure how happy he will be in this offense. Looking at snap counts for the Vikings last year Link1 Link2 , if Landry and OBJ stay healthy, Higgins will probably only see 15-20% snaps. That'll likely get him about 20 catches over the course of the season.

IDK. Love the guy, but he shoulda signed elsewhere and moved on if he really wants to make a name for himself.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Solid! Let's go!

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I'm glad he's back, but I'm not sure how happy he will be in this offense. Looking at snap counts for the Vikings last year Link1 Link2 , if Landry and OBJ stay healthy, Higgins will probably only see 15-20% snaps. That'll likely get him about 20 catches over the course of the season.

IDK. Love the guy, but he shoulda signed elsewhere and moved on if he really wants to make a name for himself.

Okay, but what if one or both staters are not ready when the season starts?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
That whole "go to" discussion got out of hand, sadly and mostly just semantics.

It most certainly did. Something weird happened last year with Higgins and not sure if we will ever know. In 2018, he was one of, it not THE, most efficient WR in terms of targets to receptions.

Indeed.

I guess now we can put to rest the "go to guy" discussion naughtydevil

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

True. But does a player who wants to make a name for himself sign somewhere that will give him the snap counts, or sign somewhere where he needs someone to get hurt in order to get the snap counts.

Turk was talking about Hollywood's point of view. This is a good move for the Browns, maybe not so much for Higgins.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

True. But does a player who wants to make a name for himself sign somewhere that will give him the snap counts, or sign somewhere where he needs someone to get hurt in order to get the snap counts.

Turk was talking about Hollywood's point of view. This is a good move for the Browns, maybe not so much for Higgins.

Unless the Browns have a season that they are capable of having. I think Higgins is betting on them as much as he's betting on himself.

Where does he stand to gain more over the long haul? Going to another team after a season where your team embarrassingly under performs and you were in the dog house? OR after the Browns turn in a season in which they were legit playoff contenders (maybe even plays a game) and you've been able to make some clutch plays throughout that season?

I'm glad we re-signed him even if its for one year. He's consistent and reliable which is really all you need from your #3.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
T
Legend
Legend
T

michael bode
@mgbode_WFNY
Replying to
@MikeBCSN

What about Kellon Winslow Jr, he wasn't technically a WR, but was used like one.

What about Dennis Northcutt?

Oh well, The Browns don't sign (almost) anybody they draft to a 2nd contract, check out any position,
Not sure, just off hand, how about Linebackers,
Safeties.

Drafted ones that got a 2nd contract with the Browns?
It's got to be a short list.
Part of that may be because they change, Coaches, GM's, Ownership, There have been 3 owners since 99' and The Walrus acted like one at league meetings.

Josh Cribbs may have gotten a 2nd contract, but was he drafted?
Did Kevin Johnson get a 2nd contract? He should have.
What about Braylon Edwards.
Vance, what's his name, 5th round, Terrelle Pryors first year with the Browns, is about like the only Browns Wr drafted, who didn't make the team his rookie year, since 99.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Right. So he didn't reach his second contract but signed an extension.

Also, who cuts a guy after he signs a four year extension?

That prior quote so reminded me.
Joe Juravicious, He signd a 6 year extension,
I was so happy the Browns were going to have (well anybody) for 6 years,
and he quit, 9 months later, or something like that.

"Who cuts a guy after a 4 year extension?" A new regime does.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T

Emmanuel Ogbah, (is currently with the Dolphins, nevermind)

Shoulda kept him. arrgh!

Only thing from this entire thread that matters,
someone posted

" The chemistry between Quarterback and WR is very important."

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: FATE
Great move. Regardless of what you think of Hollywood, quality depth just got much better no matter how much he plays.

That whole "go to" discussion got out of hand, sadly and mostly just semantics. Dude had an immediate rapport with Baker and always seemed to be where he needed to be. Great production from his targets, always a weapon - because once a defense forgets about him he'll make them pay. Sometimes we downplay team chemistry, but chemistry between a WR and his QB is very important. I'm glad he's back and I'm sure our QB is as well...

thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Baker should be tickled by this. It would be nice to see our air offense take off, what with better receivers doing what they should, when they should, and being on their routes as designed. I was really pleased to see some of his magic with BM.

Let's go to war.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I agree ... to be honest, Baker has as much as any QB in the NFL right now ... from the OL, TE, RB, WR, system fit

It’s on him now ... the table is set

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Taking less money to play here is huge to me. This is the team that drafted him, he has good rapport with Baker, and he worked hard at getting better. The fans love him, and evidently he loves Cleveland.

If he does well in this offense, he might be looking down the road a year or two, when someone making big money is let go. He will be in position to step right in.

Team loyalty is rare these days. I myself appreciate it.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
All Pro
All Pro
Technically, it's his 3rd contract. He was waived in his second season and resigned under a new contract to the practice squad. smile

He didn't even make it through year 2 of his "rookie" deal.

If you count the tendered contract from his RFA year, It's his 4th.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Linky

Brownswire at USAToday:
When the Cleveland Browns elected to roll out the red carpet and welcome Rashard “Hollywood” Higgins back to the Dawg Pound, the team put what should be the finishing touches on the wide receiver corps for 2020.

Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry will be the primary WR weapons. Both topped 1,000 receiving yards and Landry earned another Pro Bowl berth in 2019. Higgins returns with every intention of being the quality No. 3 wideout he was in 2018. The troika blends nicely together with complementary skills.

Rookie sixth-rounder Donovan Peoples-Jones fits well as the outside speed option as the fourth WR, though he’ll need to beat out young Damion Ratley. Newcomer Jojo Natson can back up the slot position, though he’s only making the roster if he’s the return specialist. That’s a role Natson will have to earn over Peoples-Jones, who has high-end promise as a returner to go with his higher-end skills at receiver.

With KhaDarel Hodge capable as a physical, possession-type receiver while primarily thriving on special teams — Hodge was outstanding on coverage units — the Browns have themselves a receiving corps that is ready to roll in 2020.

That means little chance for the likes of holdovers Taywan Taylor and D.J. Montgomery, or anyone invited to training camp to crack the solid lineup. Barring injuries, the Browns are set at wide receiver in 2020 with Higgins’ return.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

A new/old theme for Cleveland Browns: Second chances for Rashard Higgins & David Njoku

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Who saw that coming?

That being Rashard Higgins signing a one-year, $910,000 deal to return to the Browns.

I thought it was possible in March, when the free agency period opened. But when more than a month passed and nothing happened, I figured Higgins was headed out of town.

Higgins has been my favorite Browns receiver since 2016. He was not the best, just a guy I liked when I talked to him a few times. In my first interview with him, I asked, “What kind of receiver are you?”

He said: “I’m a catch-the-ball kind of receiver.”

I loved that.

Higgins had an excellent high school career at Mesquite High in Texas. Because of his lack of speed, he had no Division I scholarship offers until the spring of his senior year. A new coaching staff at Colorado State had taken over. They were desperate for receivers. A high school coach sent them Higgins’ name, and he was scouted in a basketball game.

Football season was over by the time the Rams’ new staff took over. They eventually gave him a scholarship. Three years later, Higgins left the school as the team’s all-time leading receiver.

Then he was the fourth receiver drafted ... by the Browns! They drafted four receivers in 2016. The other three? Corey Coleman, Ricardo Louis and Jordan Payton.

Higgins was the 173rd name called in that draft. His 76 career receptions are more than Coleman, Louis and Payton. In case you’re wondering, Coleman is still in the NFL. He is on the New York Giants’ roster, recovering from an ACL surgery last year. Louis and Payton are out of the NFL.

LOOKING BACK

Last season, the Browns promoted Freddie Kitchens to head coach. As offensive coordinator for the final eight games on 2018, Kitchens developed an excellent relationship with Baker Mayfield. He also found productive roles for David Njoku and Higgins.

Know who was the Browns’ second-leading receiver in 2018 behind Jarvis Landry? It was tight end Njoku with 56 catches. Higgins had 39. They combined for eight TDs.

Last year? Nine catches, two TDs.

Part of the issue was Njoku suffering a wrist injury early in the season, missing eight games. When he returned, he fell out of favor with the coaches. Higgins followed the same pattern. He hurt his knee in the opener, missing six games. When he returned, there was a clash with the coaches. He played little over the final six games.

Njoku and Higgins caused some of their own problems with a lack of maturity. But Kitchens clearly had leadership problems and made the situation worse.

LOOKING AHEAD

Browns GM Andrew Berry was part of the Sashi Brown front office when Higgins was drafted in 2016. He also had a role in the drafting Njoku in 2017.

Last season, Berry was an assistant GM for the Philadelphia Eagles. When he returned this season, he reconnected with Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, who also was a part of the Sashi Brown front office. Kevin Stefanski has been intrigued with the athleticism of the 6-4 Njoku. The new coach plays multiple tight ends. He likes the idea of free agent acquisition Austin Hooper and Njoku on the field at the same time.

Njoku is only 23. The Browns picked up his option for 2021, meaning they have him under control for two years. It is a vote of confidence in the University of Miami product. A day later, they signed Higgins.

For both players, it’s a fresh start with a new/old front office that never lost faith in them.

Now, it’s up to Higgins and Njoku to prove Berry & Company are right.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04...avid-njoku.html

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its a crying shame KJ overpaid for VG ... what a horrible move that was ... rofl

B
Legend
Legend
B
Actually Higgins will be #4.

I count the TE's when it comes to targets. Hooper might be #1 or #2

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm happy.. Welcome back Hollywood

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I'm happy.. Welcome back Hollywood

I am as well. He is a decent player. You have to have guys like that on the team. Not everybody is going to be a top 10 player in the league.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Its a crying shame KJ overpaid for VG ... what a horrible move that was ... rofl

Hopefully your "4-game stretch" critique extends beyond more than one player.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Rashard Higgins

Link Copied to Clipboard