Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Fascinatingly fish......

Great white sharks are among the species at risk of extinction over the next century, a new study has found. In analyzing the marine megafauna and their potential extinctions, researchers found sharks would be hit hardest, with greater losses in terms of "functional richness."

"Functional richness is the extent of ecological roles in a community—the many different ways species 'make a living' and in turn affect ecosystems," Catalina Pimiento and John Griffin, from the University of Swansea, U.K., told Newsweek in an email.

Pimiento is lead author of a study published in Science Advances that looks at how the extinction of large marine species would impact the ecological roles of ocean ecosystems. "The extinction crisis challenges scientists to better measure biodiversity: how will the total variety of life on Earth be affected as human activities lead to the losses of more-and-more species?" they said. In the oceans, the biggest animals are thought to play crucial ecological roles, and are also facing high levels of threat from human activities such as fisheries and climate change."

The team was looking to move beyond traditional species extinctions, to find out the functional diversity, the range of roles that species performs, and how biodiversity might respond under different extinction scenarios.

They ran two different extinction scenarios. In one, researchers looked at extinction probability based on their current IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) status. In the second, they assumed all species listed as threatened, around 40 percent, had gone extinct.

Their findings showed that an estimated 18 percent of marine megafauna could go extinct in the next century and this would reduce the functional richness of global ecosystems by 11 percent. If all threatened species went extinct, functional richness fell by 48 percent globally.

Douglas McCauley, from the Marine Science Institute at the University of California Santa Barbara, who was not involved in the study, discussed the idea of functional richness: "Let's say a pandemic hit your country," he told Newsweek. "You will want to know the total number of deaths caused by the tragedy. That is species richness—it is the body count of extinction. But what if the pandemic particularly affected people in unique jobs, you would really want to know that as well as it would affect how society worked. If the pandemic disproportionately affected water utility workers, package delivery service employees, or doctors—unique and irreplaceable functions to the human ecosystem—we would want to have this insight early so we didn't find life grinding to a halt around us.

"It is the same deal in the sea. There are certain species that perform truly unique ecological jobs. And the analyses of these authors suggest that we are setting ourselves to see a lot of them go missing, if we don't take action."

With their new metric, Pimento and Griffin were able to identify species that contribute most to maintaining functional diversity by having the most distinct ecological roles.

Sharks were found to be one of the worst affected groups. "We already knew that sharks are one of the most threatened groups in the ocean," they said. "They are also very vulnerable due to their large size and low reproductive rate. Our results show that future extinctions would be selective against the most functionally unique and specialized shark species, resulting in greater projected losses."

In almost all their 1,000 simulations, whale sharks went extinct. Great whites disappeared in a handful of the first scenario, and were lost in the second. "The whale shark is a giant filter feeder which is also highly mobile. It therefore consumes large amounts of plankton and transports nutrients long distances. The great white is a large migratory apex predator that regulate their prey populations," Pimento and Griffin said.

They said the biggest threats to marine megafauna are fishing, either through accidentally getting caught up or directly targeted, and climate change. Mitigating these threats could be the best way to protect these species. Of the marine megafauna, 22 are listed as critically endangered. These include the Hawksbill sea turtle and the Largetooth sawfish. "Without urgent mitigation of threats these species are likely to go extinct, Pimento and Griffin said.

McCauley said sharks appear to be "particularly screwed," saying "they are already undergoing significant declines and local extinctions in many regions." Sharks, he notes, are long lived, have few offspring, are a delicacy in some parts of the world and come into competition with humans. These factors "make them especially susceptible to extinction. Many sharks play unique and irreplaceable roles in ecosystems so their elevated vulnerability matters."

He said the good news is that the study identifies key species that can be targeted and protected: "Sometimes ocean conservation can be a triage game. This science helps us know which species really need our help and which species we really cannot afford to lose."

https://www.newsweek.com/great-white-shark-extinction-megafauna-1498592

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I’ve actually always wondered if this would happen. I knew sharks lived longish lives and had very few offspring ... so all it would take is a high number of human interactions.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Sharks that stay in the water, few shark attacks happen in metro on land, outdoor and indoor enviroments.

As long as there are more reckless surfers than dedicated shark hunters I think Great White Sharks will hold off their species' extinction.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I have read articles claiming that their numbers are on the rise. I have also read articles where they previously estimated a certain shark populations size, did a comprehensive study of that size, and then discovered that their previous unverified estimate was more than twice what they verified leading the researchers to surmise the shark is going extinct. Which seems like a bogus claim on the surface of it . . . but what do I know.

I hope this article isn't true, that it's a study that's flawed, cause it's frightening what is happening in our oceans. I live twenty minutes from the Atlantic here in NC and the pollution/garbage people leave on the beaches that gets in our oceans and that our aquatic life eat and die from is amazing. Forget global warming for a second and just pick up and properly dispose of your trash, cigarette butts and beverage bottles....

D
Legend
Legend
D
In the ocean, you are food.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

If I’m food, I hope to be tasty. I like the thought of being a quality item.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Tulsa tartare... yuck! Doesn't even sound edible. lol

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Sharks don’t even like eating humans. Too bony, and not enough fat. They prefer seals, with all that blubber.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Tulsa tartare... yuck! Doesn't even sound edible. lol

You’re not a great white, they may not be quite as picky. wink

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Probably tastes like chicken to a Great White.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Probably tastes like chicken to a Great White.

Damn! I was wanting to at least be like a filet.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Sharks don’t even like eating humans. Too bony, and not enough fat. They prefer seals, with all that blubber.

Quint said they found license plates in the stomach of a great white he caught. I don't think they'd turn their nose up at filet of Tulsa.

Legend
Legend
Reality being considered, we don’t have a lot of great whites in Oklahoma, so I’m relatively safe from being a main course any time soon.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Be careful at the aquarium...

V
Legend
Legend
V

Don't go in the ocean, Baker.

<<Ducks>>

Legend
Legend
They would think I was a well marbled steak

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
At least you are not a seal, bro.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Don't go in the ocean, Baker.

<<Ducks>>

LOL!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I would have not handled that well lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know. I can't say I really care.

I am kind of glad that Taradactals aren't roaming the sky.

Just saying.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't know. I can't say I really care.

I am kind of glad that Taradactals aren't roaming the sky.

Just saying.

Can you imagine the rednecks out hunting pterodactyl’s? They’d be extinct in just a few years. On land, rednecks with shotguns rule. In the water, with jaws, not so much.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
But you have to admit that until they killed them all, it would be fun watching the occasional redneck get carried off by one. wink

Legend
Legend
But you have to admit that until they killed them all, it would be fun watching the occasional redneck get carried off by one. wink

That brings on the quote, “here, hold my beer”.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P

It wouldn't be the rednecks being carried off. They have guns. It would be the unarmed idiots being carried off. Just sayin'.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Can you imagine the rednecks out hunting pterodactyl’s? They’d be extinct in just a few years. On land, rednecks with shotguns rule. In the water, with jaws, not so much.

Sort of off topic and kind of my own personal theory, but I always thought it was possible that pterodactyls might have lived longer than thought, and are the reason why you see dragons in ancient legends. I mean, they do kind of look like dragons, right?

A
Legend
Legend
A

I don't think that would be fun. Now, if it was a self righteous coder that got carried off, perhaps.

Legend
Legend
I just have really bad visions of rednecks and pterodactyls ...... and hearing the words. "Hey y'all, watch this!". crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I don't think that would be fun. Now, if it was a self righteous coder that got carried off, perhaps.

rofl Touche.

Legend
Legend
j/c

This is an infant Blue Heron:

[img]https://external-preview.redd.it/VZpr4dW...8db6bf9e6a2a429[/img]

In my mind, there is no question that modern-day birds are evolved species of dinosaur.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
That's GREAT blue heron to you, mister!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Call them what they are, a Heronasaur.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
j/c

This is an infant Blue Heron:

[img]https://external-preview.redd.it/VZpr4dW...8db6bf9e6a2a429[/img]

In my mind, there is no question that modern-day birds are evolved species of dinosaur.
i often think this too when I see birds interact and eat in my backyard. That’s a cool picture

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... GREAT WHITE SHARKS COULD GO EXTINCT IN NEXT 100 YEARS, STUDY WARNS

Link Copied to Clipboard