Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Legend
Legend
A
On that line, a local paper - used to be 6 days a week. Couple of years ago they dropped down to 5 days a week. Just saw yesterday they are dropping down to 3 days a week. (subscription price hasn't decreased though)

SI - used to be weekly, then they went to bi weekly, and just several months ago they notified they were going to monthly. No decrease in the subscription though.

I've realized I don't need SI. Get an issue, it may sit for a week or 2 before I even open it.

Print media is rapidly going away.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
That whole "go to" discussion got out of hand, sadly and mostly just semantics.

It most certainly did. Something weird happened last year with Higgins and not sure if we will ever know. In 2018, he was one of, it not THE, most efficient WR in terms of targets to receptions.

Indeed.

I am not criticizing you for posting this, but I think stats need to be considered in context. That qb rating sounds great. But, there is a bit more to it. First of all, why are the other weeks ignored? I get why the games Baker did not play were not included. That is obvious.

Let's take a look at the numbers to provide some context.

Week 9: Vs Baltimore. 3 receptions. Not exactly sure why that was recorded because Hue/Haley were still here, but I am assuming that game helped increase the percentage. If that is the truth, it's an indicator of how people manipulate stats to influence others.

Week 10: Vs KC. 3 receptions. First game under new coaching staff.

Week 11: Vs Atlanta. 1 reception.

Week 12: Vs Cinci. 1 reception.

Week 13: Vs Houston. 4 receptions.

Week 14: Vs Carolina. 2 receptions.

Week 15. Vs Denver. 2 receptions.

Week 16: Vs Cinci. 6 receptions.

Week 17: Vs Baltimore. 4 receptions.

Just providing some context.

I will say this one more time. I like Higgins. I am glad we kept him. I just don't agree w/the overall analysis of him by many members of this board and I surely don't like the disdain that some folks are putting dishing out for me speaking my opinion and providing some facts.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I disagree. I think he did have some chemistry w/Baker and have said so. However, I think the fact that others drew more attention is a big reason why he was open.

Of course, I don't have the great understanding of recognizing coverages like you, WSU, and Memphis do. So, there is that.

Of course having Landry helped get Higgins open. Nobody has said anything different. You may not like the word choice of “Go to” but when he was in the game and things were breaking down Baker more times than not would throw Higgins way.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
You're backing Memphis and WSU on this? Really?

I yi yi yi.

Legend
Legend
I’m not backing anyone. I am stating an opinion that I formed all by myself watching games.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
So your saying Higgs would have have had a better year if Bake got in trouble more ... well then lets hope for Higgs sake Bake gets in trouble a lot next year ... naughtydevil

A
Legend
Legend
A
You're backing Memphis and WSU on this? Really?

I yi yi yi.

Why does pdawg stating a fact mean he is backing someone, or some others, ...........dude, why does it matter?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I disagree. I think he did have some chemistry w/Baker and have said so. However, I think the fact that others drew more attention is a big reason why he was open.

Of course, I don't have the great understanding of recognizing coverages like you, WSU, and Memphis do. So, there is that.

So he ended up the go-to guy because of the others.

Nobody is saying Higgins is better. It'just that Bake and Higgy developed a chemistry while on Hues 3rd team all camp long.
They each knew where each other was going. That is what playing together does.

This isn't that hard. You have talked about chemistry many times, now all of a sudden it doesn't matter?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Higgins had good chemistry with Baker. Really like that he is essentially the first skill position player to resign with the team from my memory.

That said, he is an unathletic 4th receiver with mariginal speed.

Lesser receivers have made themselves more, happy to have him back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I freaking said they have had chemistry. Jesus!

Memphis and WSU twisted my words around. They started crap when there was no reason to start crap and instead, you guys decide to pile on me for posting stats and reality.

Whatever........

B
Legend
Legend
B
I freaking said they have had chemistry. Jesus!

Memphis and WSU twisted my words around. They started crap when there was no reason to start crap and instead, you guys decide to pile on me for posting stats and reality.

Whatever........

Hey my friend, I don't read every post, so sometimes my context may be out of whack.

All's good.. It's a message board. I don't go back and read 2 pages of posts I may have missed to gain understand of a subconversaton.

You can talk to me anytime. If there is a misunderstanding, we can hash it out like a couple of men who consider themselves friends. We may walk away in disagreement, but we will still be friends.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
To be clear, I have said numerous times that Baker and Higgs had chemistry. There are a couple of dudes misrepresenting things. The crap is old!

B
Legend
Legend
B
To be clear, I have said numerous times that Baker and Higgs had chemistry. There are a couple of dudes misrepresenting things. The crap is old!

A lot of things are getting old, like me..

It is what is what it is. Hands and ankles getting puffy. I just want to say I have enjoyed shooting the sheet with you guys a few gals who have graced the board.

It is what it is. I'll go for a 5 mile walk in the morning and maybe back it up a bit.....or in a ironic way, speed it up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmmm.............this is good and bad. Some posts have been deleted. I thank the refs for that. Then again, it makes some of my statements seem like they are coming out of nowhere. LOL

So again.............to be clear.

I like Higgs.

I said we should draft him.

I supported him over guys Louis and Payton.

I am glad we kept him.

I do not think his being in the dog house was a huge factor in Baker's issues last year.

I think his contract reflects the value I put on him. Not sure how Memphis can say I am wrong about that. It's a 1 year deal for less than a million.

I think that it was only a one-year deal is somewhat revealing.

I think the fact they said he can compete for the 3rd WR spot lines up w/what I was saying about his role on this team.

I am glad we kept him.

I think he can be an asset.

I am rooting for him.

If I had to make a prediction, I would guess that he won't put up big numbers this year. Bake didn't really look for him much last year in the 4 games he did play.

But again, I am happy that we kept him and I think he can contribute.

Those are my positions and I think a couple of the usual suspects twisted them into something they were not.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Wow, I can't believe ya'll just argued over 4 pages whether Higgins was Baker's "go-to" receiver.

We don't have anything better to argue about? The quarantine struggle is real.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's the off-season, bro.

Besides................dudes like like me, Memphis, Pit, WSU, Diam, 888, device, etc argue all the time. It's what we do. LOL

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Haha, I hear you. But between this and arguing about how people dress, this might be the slowest it has ever been.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: BpG
Higgins had good chemistry with Baker. Really like that he is essentially the first skill position player to resign with the team from my memory.

That said, he is an unathletic 4th receiver with mariginal speed.

Lesser receivers have made themselves more, happy to have him back.

"Unathletic 4th rec with marginal speed" just doesn't fit.
I don't know his speed but I've seen his quicks, AC After Catch!,
I ain't never seen him out of a spot, out of position on the throw to him,

Ok, Just because some think he's not in the hall of fame shouldn't rain on my parade that I'm Stoked Higgins is Back on the Browns because I Know he's better than some.
But I think Hodge and Ratley are commin along to, so let's not poo poo their contributions.

AND! If Higgins is motivated, He can turn it up a notch some guys may not, you want to have that on your team,
It's like, 1987 wwf, HulK Hogan and Jesse Ventura can come out to the biggest cheer but they are just going to go through the motions tonight! Danny boy Smith and Macho Man have so much to prove!
haha, I saw Macho hit 11 Elbow drops in a row, may have been more, on Tito Santana to try and take that intercontinental belt, (no tv cameras), never knew what was going to happen. Oh, Tito rolled him up in a small package to keep the belt.
MOTIVATION it's a big factor, and everybody takes plays off, everybody,
Guys who've been cut twice, are going to Bring It!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The dress thing was peen going off about Dorsey. and protecting his guys. I remember when Dorsey chose Baker, Ward, the guard from Nevada, and Chubb and peen mocking posters who said they wanted a "football guy." In retrospect, that wasn't as bad as of a draft as he claimed.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
This is a win. I think Higgins was underutilized last year and is a viable #3 that should see the field more.

Underutilized! The article said 10 targets all year, 4 catches, 55 yards and a touchdown.

That's like hanging up Christmas lights for 5 minutes, taking them back down the same day.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Wow, I can't believe ya'll just argued over 4 pages whether Higgins was Baker's "go-to" receiver.

We don't have anything better to argue about? The quarantine struggle is real.

Hadn't even read this and was just saying, Well there isn't a 4 page thread on the return of Wr Hodge,
He's got that 3 yard, first down, curl route going though.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The dress thing was peen going off about Dorsey. and protecting his guys. I remember when Dorsey chose Baker, Ward, the guard from Nevada, and Chubb and peen mocking posters who said they wanted a "football guy." In retrospect, that wasn't as bad as of a draft as he claimed.

I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I was one of the early ones who wanted Baker. I was thrilled with Chubb and Ward. I even stuck up for the guard from Nevada...like you, I have forgotten his name already. Corbett. 2nd round pick, I figured he would be good, and who knows, maybe he will be, if he is still playing. I would think he is still around.

It wasn't going off. Just expressing my preference. I would rather see my professionals dressed in a professional manner and not wearing paint stained cargo shorts and a baggy sweatshirt to work.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Not arguing, just observing and commenting...

First, if anything, Higgins is being underrated much more than he's being overrated. I don't think anyone is overstating Higgins' worth, but I've read that Higgins is an unathletic overachieving 4th WR and if Higgins doesn't sign with Cleveland he's probably out of the NFL. I can't get behind either of those statements.

The fact he hadn't been signed anywhere until now isn't any indication on how good he is. If it was, then there's no way we should sign Clowney because he must really suck.

I've also added context to Higgins 39 catches. There's more to it than "39 receptions."

I don't believe "best receiver" and "go to" receiver are synonymous.

Higgins was also injured, which brings me to my other point. No one seemed to mention his injuries. If there's one negative, Higgins does seem to be injury prone. That's a factor in a lot of things mentioned here without actually being mentioned.

Mayfield and Higgins, I believe, have chemistry because they are both accused of not being athletic and tout themselves as the underdog. There's something in common there, and probably why Higgins loves Mayfield.

Just my 2 cents.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He's so "go to" he sat there for months without being signed. An afterthought doesn't prove anyone's point.

Am I off base - cause I know I read it when we first signed him...could be on the first page for all I know. But I thought Higgins HAD OTHER OFFERS and some were greater than what we offered but he turned them down and took ours. Is that true or did somebody just make it up and I believed it???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who is underrating Higgins? I don't see anyone saying we shouldn't have signed him or that he sucks.

I agree that there is more to evaluating Higgens rather than just the 39 receptions. However, I was trying to point out there was more to it than just the percentage from the tweet that Milk posted. I think numbers should be looked at in detail rather than in isolation.

I don't think the Clowney comparison is fair. I think Clowney is unsigned because he reportedly wanted around $20 million per year. Higgins signed for $910 thousand per year. Big difference. Thus, I do think that him not being signed before now is relevant.

I think Mayfield and Higgins had chemistry because they were both on the second team during the 2018 camp and that guys like Landry drew the attention of opposing defenses. Baker rarely looked Higgins' way when the latter was on the field during 2019.

It will be interesting to see how Higgins is utilized this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like that Higgins has a chance to stick around. Familiarity will probably be important with the Corona adjustments. But, I don't think a sub $1M contract makes him a lock for the roster. He's probably going to have to step up on special teams in addition to the WR stuff.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
CLICK THIS LINK...

THEN CLICK THE LINK BELOW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1BCo4jozvk&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

MORE OF THIS WOULD BE GOOD FOR 2020...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Yeah, i mean there was a time in 2018 that Higgins was playing very well ... he was making great catches and was our best offensive receiving threat

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Haha, I hear you. But between this and arguing about how people dress, this might be the slowest it has ever been.

*LOL* ... thanks for the *L* ... that was good .. thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah, i mean there was a time in 2018 that Higgins was playing very well ... he was making great catches and was our best offensive receiving threat

Higgs was more of a threat than VG ... rofl ... and some wonder why i think he’s overrated on here ..

Now I’ve heard it all ... *L* ...

O
Legend
Legend
O
I went ahead and clicked on that link. It was interesting to go back and look.

I understand it's such a small and biased (for lack of a better word) sampling of plays, but....

Mayfield is so Jekyl and Hyde in terms of accuracy. Higgins helped him out A LOT, especially early on. Most of the catches he made were tough ones (or tougher than they should've been. Mayfield does seem to settle in as the season goes on, but those streaks of making his WRs work harder still show up from time to time.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The league minimum salary for a fifth year veteran is 820k. Higgins was signed for 910k. So the Browns think he is worth more than the minimum.

We have OBJ, Vice Grips, signed Hooper and have Njoku. Even in 2018 Duke had more catches and Hunt is an upgrade over Duke.

So that's five receiving targets we can say with some level of certainty will be more productive than Higgins barring injuries.

So yeah, as a sixth option in the passing game he's an upgrade over what was left on the roster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t agree on Njoku but i do agree with your premise ... this isn’t 2017 (did i get it right this time P ... wink )

If People’s earns some PT and is developed enough and Hodges is a good STer (i think i read that but could be wrong) Higgs may have a fight for a roster spot ... that oughta go over good ... i somehow find ways to make myself even more unpopular ob here ... *L* ...

I like Higgs .. hope he has a great year and gets paid ... hard not to root for a guy like him ... just not sure he’s got the talent ...

GOOD LUCK HOLYWOOD thumbsup ... be my anti DAVID DAVID DAVID... *L* ..

P
Legend
Legend
P
The main reason I mentioned Njoku is that I believe teams invest in their plan. They picked up his fifth year option which will cost them quite a bit in salary. I simply can't seeing them investing that kind of cash in someone they don't see as a major weapon on O.

I mean we know it wasn't for his blocking prowess. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Higgs was more of a threat than VG ... rofl ... and some wonder why i think he’s overrated on here ..

Now I’ve heard it all ... *L* ...

2018: Higgins and Landry with the same amount of TDs (4)
2018: Higgins (39/53) with a higher catch rate than Landry (81/149)
2018: Higgins (14.7) with a more yards per catch than Landry (12.0)
2018: Higgins (69%) with a higher first down rate than Landry (54%)

Not that far off Diam. I love Landry, but Higgins was also very good for Baker in 2018

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
j/c
We have OBJ, Vice Grips, signed Hooper and have Njoku. Even in 2018 Duke had more catches and Hunt is an upgrade over Duke.

So that's five receiving targets we can say with some level of certainty will be more productive than Higgins barring injuries.

That's a TOTALLY INCORRECT statement!

OBJ and Landry sit there counting their money and are unproductive for large chunks of games,
The offense couldn't even FIND OBJ last year,

Are they better wideouts by definition, Yes, But there's no guarantee Higgins isn't your most productive Wide out on your team in any given game.

Hooper isn't making catches for the Browns yet.
Njoku is a good set of hands, when they find him and put him in the gameplan, but Higgins' 14 yards per catch average is necessary,
Njoku, no guarantee he is more productive than Higgins

Duke? I don't want to remember Duke is gone because he had a will to make the play, that many don't
Hunt? is by definition, overall NFL career better than Duke but he didn't do it for the Browns,
I don't see him as a reliable receiveing threat, unless those catches are (IN THE BACKFIELD) , we're talking 14 yards per catch avg for Higgins,
So those catches AREN'T coming in the backfield.
Think what you want to think But,
Some level of certainty, and will be more productive are totally incorrect statements with a capital B. (nobody knows the future)

Just because you don't like him in your mind doesn't change how he plays!
If those 5 are clearly better in play, in a Browns uniform, then show it!
ONE AND A HALF of them are showing it on a regular basis, Landry, and OBJ alternate between the One, and the Half, but otherwise, I don't think there is any way

Some level of Certainty, can be made

Plus! If the team doesn't put them on the field, Nobody's going to make a catch.
Mabye we "BOTH" need a new set of glasses of what's going on on the field, you and me.

Fin: Every year I watch the games and people want to act like the (let's say, off the bench) players aren't important,
But every game, well, when the ball is snapped, and the whistle blows, there was only one play the offense ran, and every game we see these off the bench players in key snaps, that continue or end drives,
And people want to act like these players are nothing!
And act like it doesn't matter if they put a Ratley, or Mr. X out there
But every time the game is on, every time the offense takes a snap, Bam, 3 things
1. pre snap, (down distance, game time and score of the game,
2. during snap, Did they get a first down, make a catch, drop or miss a tackle, is it a positive or negative play for the team.
3. They name the player involved, the Browns player and the opponent.

So it's easy to note, Player name, and Good play made, or bad play made,

And every year, these Off the Bench Players are WAY more SIGNIFICANT in any given game, than people want to give them credit for,
if people just want to (dismiss) em off as nothing to think about.

And then these plays that these players Make or Don't Make, end up causing the Win or Loss of a game.
There are only 16 games;
So the Coach has to put the players in a situation to make the good plays, not the bad ones.

And it's important to not have the bad players who can't make a play when called upon, being used when the players who are contributing are waiting for the ball.

So don't say Higgins, who we know works, is clearly not as productive, or won't be in the future, as unknown commodities of players; to the point of saying 6th option!

C'mon, Perriman, and Callaway would have to still be around for that to make any kind of debateable maybe sense.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Speaking of debatable sense...... Do you read your own posts? wink

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Look! The Browns aren't going to use 3 wides, 4 wides, 5 wides,

3 TE on the field for a base gameplan seems like a hopeful offense,
just like the Browns are going to run the ball all game long every game before the kickoff,
and then in the post game every time, "they abandoned the run"

The games aren't scripted anymore than possible, there is another team trying to stop you, so
I see they can plan only to use one or 2 Wr's on offense this year, but more will be necessary,
and those 3 TE sets,
2 TE's + 2 RB's those don't always work out if you are down 14, or 21 points.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Speaking of debatable sense...... Do you read your own posts? wink

Perhaps you don't believe your statement, were just trolling and I bit on it, my bad.
Explanations are important though, so Yes, I did.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There will be at least five targets in the passing game with far more playing time, far more targets and more catches than Higgins. No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Rashard Higgins

Link Copied to Clipboard