Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
They need to retire the #73 jersey.

Agreed. Who could wear it better? What are the chances anyone gets to a decade plus ProBowls from their rookie year until retirement wearing that number? Hang it in the rafters and lock it off.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you guys. I think they should retire Ozzie's number, as well. I thought I read that Higgins is going to wear it this year??? That would be a crime.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
They need to retire the #73 jersey.

I'm betting they will right after he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame in two years.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/you guys. I think they should retire Ozzie's number, as well. I thought I read that Higgins is going to wear it this year??? That would be a crime.
Yeah, I think Higgins is switching to 82 IIRC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

That was because #81 was given to Hooper, as Higs was technically off of the roster.

To tell you the truth I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't retired that number now that he has retired from the Ravens.

I just assumed (correctly) that they wouldn't as long as he was with Baltimore.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Teams are encouraged to retire numbers only sparingly nowadays. Teams now can have 55 players on the roster, as well as 14 on the practice squad. We currently have 5 retired numbers. That takes up most of the available 99 numbers.

This is why teams have a "Ring of Honor", or other ways of honoring their greatest players.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I’m OK with numbers being discouraged from being worn, but not technically retired. Now for someone like Jim Brown? Yeah, retire it. But people like JT or Kosar or legends for our team: just discourage ppl from wearing it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
FWIW: Bernie Kosar is not in Joe Thomas' class.

Kosar is a local great, but mediocre in a league-wide comparison.
Joe is an All-Time great at his position in a league-wide sense.

I would absolutely give strong consideration to retiring 73.
They already put '10,363' into the Ring of Honor; his name will follow soon.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I agree. Bernie might be a bit better than mediocre, but Joe is one of the 7-8 best to play his position.

I say 7-8 because there have been some really brilliant players before him, but he is just as good as any to play. Being tied for first is about as good as you can get in sports. I don't know that Joe was better than Jackie Slater or John Hannah, but then again, were they better than him?

I think they were all pretty friggen good.

I mean, who was better, Reggie White or Bob Lilly at DT? It gets to a point you can't answer that. They were clearly above the rest is all one needs to know.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

Bernie may not be a first ballot HOFer but he did lead this franchise to the Playoffs in his first five NFL seasons, that is better than Mediocre superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Yes, I was overly hyperbolic with the use of "mediocre". He was an above average QB, but not Hall of Fame worthy. Joe was on a completely different level.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Yes, I was overly hyperbolic with the use of "mediocre". He was an above average QB, but not Hall of Fame worthy. Joe was on a completely different level.

I understood and understand.

Joe is at the top of the chain with several other links. Bernie is on the chain, but not near the top, but even being on the chain is pretty darn good.

Bernie might be a Sonny Jergunson type. Go watch some Sonny vids. That guy had the nicest pass I have ever seem, and man, he could sling the ball. I mean fastballs. Sonny could chuck it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
What a great accomplishment ... he did little more than hand the ball off the 1st year and more than likely the 2nd year ...

Ever hear of Byner and Mack ... they had a little sumptin sumptin to do with those years as well as that D ...

LOVE BERNIE ... but saying he’s better than mediocre cause he “led” his team to the playoffs his first five years is a crock of crap ... thumbsup

By your logic Trent Dilfer was more than mediocre cause he won a SB ... and we all know thats not even close to true ... *L* ...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Why were Byner and Mack so good?

Ya think maybe because opposing teams respected Bernie's ability to pass? His ability to read a defense and change the call at the line to something that would work better than the original play call?

Bernie was awkward as all get out. His throwing motion is not something to ever be copied - but his ability to get to the line and read a D was excellent. Best ever? Not saying that at all.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yes ... teams feared Bernie his rookie year ... *L* ...

And what an arm Bernie had .... one of the best deep balls ever ... no way they’d stack the box with Bernie’s ability to stretch a field ... rolleyes

I would actually be on board with calling him one of the most accurate passers and one of the smartest passers to ever play the game .... the only thing IMO that kept him from greatness is that arm strength ...

And arch ... i think he was slightly better than mediocre ... but saying he led the team to playoff berths hois first five years as even one of the reasons for that is a joke on a good day ...

Kinda like Brady’s first SB victory ... i think he led his team to 1 TD drive the entire playoffs ... that D won that SB ... Brady was little more than a spectator ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
What a great accomplishment ... he did little more than hand the ball off the 1st year and more than likely the 2nd year ...

Ever hear of Byner and Mack ... they had a little sumptin sumptin to do with those years as well as that D ...

LOVE BERNIE ... but saying he’s better than mediocre cause he “led” his team to the playoffs his first five years is a crock of crap ... thumbsup

By your logic Trent Dilfer was more than mediocre cause he won a SB ... and we all know thats not even close to true ... *L* ...

You got that right my friend thumbsup

Some of you younger fans might not appreciate those days, but our defenses where no joke...

[Linked Image]

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Why isn’t #82 retired?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/your points and I will add that the Browns OL during those years was top shelf.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Why isn’t #82 retired?

This is going to be a really unpopular take.

I hope we don't retire Newsome's number. Ozzie is a Raven, not a Brown. He was a great player that had a great playing career with the Browns. But he spent more time with the Ravens, had more success with the Ravens, and that success often came at the expense of the Browns. He also won two Super Bowls with the Ravens.

Eh, Ozzie is a Raven.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not so unpopular, but also not surprising.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree, Rish. He was a very good player, but he went to Baltimore with Art. Effem

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I agree, Rish. He was a very good player, but he went to Baltimore with Art. Effem

And he went to Canton Ohio as?

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

And he went to Canton Ohio as?

A traitor.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns did not have a team at the time. Expecting a man to not accept employment from the organization that he was already working for is lunacy. Bernie went to Miami. You want to shun him, too? Paul Brown started a new team in another Ohio city. Guess he is another traitor.

Pick and choose at your own discretion. Pfftttt........

Legend
Legend
The Browns did not have a team at the time. Expecting a man to not accept employment from the organization that he was already working for is lunacy. Bernie went to Miami. You want to shun him, too? Paul Brown started a new team in another Ohio city. Guess he is another traitor.

Pick and choose at your own discretion. Pfftttt........

Thanks! I think you're starting to get it!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't blame Ozzie for taking the job with Baltimore. I don't blame Ozzie for staying with Baltimore. I don't begrudge Ozzie any of the success he had with Baltimore. By all accounts it was earned.

But while his career started with Cleveland, his career path has made him a Raven. I wouldn't be much in the mood to celebrate a guy who kicked the Browns buts and out-succeeeded the Browns for 20+ years after moving on from the franchise. The Browns are a bunch of losers and have been for a very long time. I can't think of anything more loserish than celebrating someone else's hero.

I would be opposed to retiring Newsome's number.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, let's use your "logic" and apply it to Paul Brown. The dude started a new team in the very same state the Browns reside in. He used a similar color combination. He hired a coach who said something like: "You don't live in Cleveland..."

Maybe we should change our name from the "Browns" because this guy was such a "traitor" and call ourselves the Demonic Elves. Or maybe the "Losers?" How about the Cleveland Change? It fits given our history of firing everyone who comes here.

Absurd discussion.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm not asking you to agree with me. Just stating my opinion on the subject. Like I said, I knew it would be unpopular and that some wouldn't be able to handle it. You were one of the ones I thought of, and I was right.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not asking you to agree w/me either. Thanks for thinking of me as you made your first post, though. Glad that I live rent free in your head. brownie

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm only deferring the rent until the coronavirus has passed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Absurd discussion.

Yes, considering that it's in the Jedrick Wills draft thread. But then again, the 'virus' has left us with too much time on our hands...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 05/06/20 07:03 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is we sucked for several years...more than several. And then Bernie came along as we were able to finagle the supplemental draft and get Bernie our Home Town boy to come to the Browns and he made no bones about wanting to be a Brown. Then his success came, he was one of the best QBs and if you did not see his games then all you got is STATS he didn't look like much great.

But he stuck in there and teams beat the crap out him physically. When teams still could do so.

I mentioned the MNF game vs the Dolphins where he broke his foot and still played. This took what little mobility he had out of the picture and he got hit often and hard.

It was mentioned he hurt the elbow badly and whatever arm strength he had was gone. I saw it as a methodical thing as not being in the Cleveland area I saw what I could on TV and in Satellite Bars. Every season he got less and less talented physically until he left the team. Still smart as a whip.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Looking at two clips from Wills 2019 season to display his ability to finish despite less than ideal situations and how his high-level awareness helps elevate his run blocking.

For more in-depth analysis on Wills follow this link:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Great pick OL should be MUCH Better in 2020 ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Whew. What would the Browns history be if they had never had Joe Thomas, on the team.

Whew! Where would that history be if Bernie were never on the team.

Draw your own conclusions,

I don't even call Joe Thomas my favorite Browns left tackle!(That I saw play) I like the dude who played with Bellichic in 94 ish, (James Jones?) and went to the Broncos, and neutralized that Reverend Defensive end, HOF dude,(Reggie White), in 1997, to help Terrelle Davis give that (bad name, Very Bad name.) Elway a SB win.
anyone doesn't like that? You root for who you want, I'll root for who I want!

Last edited by THROW LONG; 05/12/20 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling, No Flamethrower, it's always Flamethrower

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I was wrong, it is Tony Jones I'm talking about, (memory), James Jones was on the defense iirc.

Flamethrower!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Whew. What would the Browns history be if they had never had Joe Thomas, on the team.

I don't even call Joe Thomas my favorite Browns left tackle!(That I saw play) I like the dude who played with Bellichic in 94 ish, (James Jones?) and went to the Broncos, and neutralized that Reverend Defensive end, HOF dude,(Reggie White), in 1997, to help Terrelle Davis give that (bad name, Very Bad name.) Elway a SB win.

What are you talking about? crazy

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

What are you talking about? crazy

He’s a ‘linemen aren’t sexy or exciting and they don’t win games like receivers, running backs, and quarterbacks do. Therefore drafting them is stupid’ guy.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Hope this kid can make the move to the Left side.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard