Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Cool. I test negative, but get it later that day. Then what?

You die or you don’t ...all because others were disrespectful by not social distancing, washing hands, masking up, and not staying home. Like those red neck trump supporters with guns threatening violence at state capitols across the country.

BTW About testing. You do know there is an highly accurate test that can tell if you had it right? But GOP leadership is satisfied with the death count rise and spin their wheels on testing. Pfffft

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/05/20 08:58 AM. Reason: Added BTW

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
J/C

The horrible news.....the world 252,102 deaths worldwide. 68,934 in the USA.. it wouldn’t surprise me if the USA has half the world death tally by the time this is over. Thank you trump and thank you trump supporters....pfffft. What a out of control dumpster fire your leadership handed us all.

– Jackie Robinson
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
J/C

The horrible news.....the world 252,102 deaths worldwide. 68,934 in the USA.. it wouldn’t surprise me if the USA has half the world death tally by the time this is over. Thank you trump and thank you trump supporters....pfffft. What a out of control dumpster fire your leadership handed us all.

Last I looked we we are a little over 4% of the world's population but had over 1/3 of all cases and over 1/4 of all deaths.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: clwb419
Last I looked we we are a little over 4% of the world's population but had over 1/3 of all cases and over 1/4 of all deaths.

Haven't you heard? That is all a part of the Chinese plot. Somehow 184 nations had the coronavirus break out within their nations borders.

But somehow the numbers are so slanted in how terribly it impacted America.

There's no way that could be poor planning and reaction by those in power. It has to be the fault of the WHO, China, Obama, or some third entity. I mean it has to be the fault of someone else, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Just in....New Corvid cases are ticking up in states that have relaxed stay at home orders. Shocking ....not.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Unless the numbers are ticking up in places that have relaxed their orders more than a week ago, they really aren't valid, yet, for being tied to the relaxation of things. You can't relax things on Wednesday and look at an uptick on Friday and say OMGerd! It doesn't work like that.

If I'm remembering, the period from infection to showing of symptoms is anywhere from 2-14 days with the majority being at least a week.

Aside from that, an increase is completely expected, normal, and not an issue as long as it plateaus again. What you are wanting to avoid is that runaway exponential progression.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

This is getting kinda widespread. A restaurant that I enjoy going to closed down when all of this first started. They then opened and fought to get a solid take-out system in place and they were *just* getting settled into a rhythm that was enough to support them and keep them going when this started, now he's looking at having to possible shut down completely again simply because he cannot find meat and it's a BBQ place.

Browns is the Browns

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
"From Yale Epidemiologist, Jonathan Smith:
As an infectious disease epidemiologist, at this point I feel morally obligated to provide some information on what we are seeing from a transmission dynamic perspective and how they apply to the social distancing measures. Like any good scientist I have noticed two things that are either not being articulated or not present in the “literature” of social media. I have also relied on my much smarter infectious disease epidemiologist friends for peer review of this post; any edits are from that peer review.
Specifically, I want to make two aspects of these measures very clear and unambiguous.
First, we are in the beginning of this epidemic’s trajectory. That means even with these distancing measures we will see cases and deaths continue to rise globally, nationally, and in our own communities in the coming weeks. This may lead some people to think that the social distancing measures are not working. They are. They may feel futile. They aren’t. You will feel discouraged. You should. This is normal in chaos. But this is normal epidemic trajectory. Stay calm. This enemy that we are facing is very good at what it does; we are not failing. We need everyone to hold the line as the epidemic inevitably gets worse.
This is not my opinion; this is the unforgiving math of epidemics for which I and my colleagues have dedicated our lives to understanding with great nuance, and this disease is no exception. I want to help the community brace for this impact. Stay strong and with solidarity knowing with absolute certainty that what you are doing is saving lives, even as people begin getting sick and dying. You may feel like giving in. Don’t.
Second, although social distancing measures have been (at least temporarily) well-received, there is an obvious-but-overlooked phenomenon when considering groups (i.e. families) in transmission dynamics.
While social distancing decreases contact with members of society, it typically increases your contacts with family members /very close friends. This small and obvious fact has surprisingly profound implications on disease transmission dynamics. Study after study demonstrates that even if there is only a little bit of connection between groups (i.e. social dinners, playdates/playgrounds, etc.), the epidemic isn’t much different than if there was no measure in place. The same underlying fundamentals of disease transmission apply, and the result is that the community is left with all of the social and economic disruption but very little public health benefit.
You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit; if one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk.
Seemingly small social chains get large and complex with alarming geometric speed. If your son visits his girlfriend, and you later sneak over for coffee with a neighbor, your neighbor is now connected to the infected office worker that your son’s girlfriend’s mother shook hands with. This sounds silly, it’s not.
This is not a joke or a hypothetical. We as epidemiologists see it borne out in the data time and time again and no one listens. Conversely, any break in that chain breaks disease transmission along that whole chain.
In contrast to hand-washing and other personal measures, social distancing measures are not about individuals, they are about societies working in unison. These measures also take a long time to see the results. It is hard (even for me) to conceptualize how on a population level, ‘one quick little get together’ can undermine the entire framework of a public health intervention, but it does. I promise you it does. I promise. I promise. I promise.
You can’t cheat it. People are already itching to cheat on the social distancing precautions just a “little”- a playdate, a haircut, or picking up a needless item at the store, etc. From a transmission dynamics standpoint, this very quickly recreates a highly connected social network that undermines all of the work the community has done so far.
Until we get a viable vaccine this unprecedented outbreak will not be overcome in one grand, sweeping gesture, rather only by the collection of individual choices our community makes in the coming months. This virus is unforgiving to choices outside the rules.
My goal in writing this is to prevent communities from getting ‘sucker-punched’ by what the epidemiological community knows will happen in the coming weeks. It will be easy to be drawn to the idea that what we are doing isn’t working and become paralyzed by fear, or to just ‘cheat’ a little bit in the coming weeks. By knowing what to expect, and knowing the importance of maintaining these measures, my hope is to encourage continued community spirit, strategizing, and action to persevere in this time of uncertainty.

Jonathan Smith is a lecturer in Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases and Global Health at Yale University, School of Public Health.
Shared by Dr. Jerry K Davis, DVM, PhD retired VMO, FDA"

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: clwb419

Haven't you heard? That is all a part of the Chinese plot. Somehow 184 nations had the coronavirus break out within their nations borders.

But somehow the numbers are so slanted in how terribly it impacted America.

There's no way that could be poor planning and reaction by those in power. It has to be the fault of the WHO, China, Obama, or some third entity. I mean it has to be the fault of someone else, right?

Actually, it really isn't anything more than the same old story in most places: most countries simply aren't testing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Look at the columns to the far right where it lists cases per 1M population. Tons of nations are barely scraping the surface, and while we're not tops we're doing ok.... and when viewed as Cases per 1M population, we are NOT the worst off (though we recently overtook France, Italy, Switzerland, & UK in this metric).

Overall, though, we're simply actually testing in all of our population centers and we have a LOT of densely populated areas with a MUCH larger population than most every other nation. Simply: bigger numbers are a mathematical expectation.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Just saw trump get off AF1/2 and extended his hand to the AZ gov. The AZ gov pulled his hand back...what an ass right? rofl

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I was being satirical. I agree with you on this point but it isn't me that needs to be convinced. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I tried providing you with cold hard data over the last week or so, along with ample evidence this wasn't engineered in a lab or escaped from a lab, but you keep pulling data that doesn't tell the whole story.

You're engaging in awful confirmation bias to support your idea that Switzerland had the right idea, and listening to alt-right nonsense boiled up in xenophobia.

As Clem asked Peen yesterday, I'll ask the same of you.

Take off your "I despise all liberal and progressive facts" glasses and please for your own sake and other consider the actual facts.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Unless the numbers are ticking up in places that have relaxed their orders more than a week ago, they really aren't valid, yet, for being tied to the relaxation of things. You can't relax things on Wednesday and look at an uptick on Friday and say OMGerd! It doesn't work like that.

If I'm remembering, the period from infection to showing of symptoms is anywhere from 2-14 days with the majority being at least a week.

Aside from that, an increase is completely expected, normal, and not an issue as long as it plateaus again. What you are wanting to avoid is that runaway exponential progression.

I agree today's numbers don't reflect the rampant stupidity that many of us have witnessed already. It will take two weeks to see those numbers.

But I do have a question for the thinkers on the board: If we want to avoid exponential progression considering the highly infectious rate of spread this virus has already displayed and the idiocy of anti-containment that has already been displayed, how do we NOT reach exponential progression without further restrictions?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Wow Purp, and here I didn't think you were a bad guy. rofl

Legend
Legend

Thanks Port.

It is my wish that there would be a unified cohesive message to all. That people would follow the medical experts and scientists.

However, I am not optimistic. We lack the leadership at the top. Politics and financial pressure will distort the facts.

People will follow misinformation and I believe we are in for real trouble.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Here's yet another point I would like to address. It's an example of how government and business like to do things to make you "feel safe" when it really does little to actually make you safer.

We hear all of this noise about how business will "take people's temperatures before they allow employees to enter the building". Now most of us know that somewhere around 50% give or take of people infected with Covid 19 are asymptomatic. That means they have no fever, no cough or other symptoms to let anyone, including themselves, know they have the virus.

So how does taking your employees temperature before entering the building really help? Not much.

But the looks of things can be very important.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You are correct. It does take about 14 days to show up. I think what may be a more accurate statement is that many of the states that are experiencing outbreaks now, never had strict lock down guidelines to begin with.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Legend
Legend
A

This is getting kinda widespread. A restaurant that I enjoy going to closed down when all of this first started. They then opened and fought to get a solid take-out system in place and they were *just* getting settled into a rhythm that was enough to support them and keep them going when this started, now he's looking at having to possible shut down completely again simply because he cannot find meat and it's a BBQ place.

I feel the meat shortage will worsen in the future.

1 hog farmer I know felt fortunate to be able to sell his hogs (250) just last week.

Another is offering to sell to the public, as opposed to processors.

They feed them, but can't keep them indefinitely.

Price of beef is rapidly rising, at least around here. Stopped at a local butcher shop to buy some sirloins - they were out.

I've heard that some meat farmers are killing the animals......because they can't be processed?

We more than likely will have a meat shortage soon. May not be long lasting, as other countries may see an opportunity in shipping meat here.........but, who wants meat processed overseas in conditions that might not meet USDA standards?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ve been saying the same thing all along. Taking a temp has no impact. By the time you do run a temp you’ve been breathing out the virus for days to weeks.

Get this... yesterday I walked in to a care facility. An assisted living. They wanted to take my temp at the door, orally. I had put my N95 on in my car. I wasn’t about to take it off. I was professional and polite but I refused to remove my mask. For their safety and mine. I asked if the nursing station had a temporal scanning thermometer or stated I’d take my temp axillary (under my armpit). They found a temporal scanner and checked me in.
This is the second time I’ve come across this in care facilities.
I couldn’t believe this time though. The first one was over a month ago. Pre PPE being available or mandated. Now all care homes are requiring masks on staff.... but first they walk in the door and remove it to take their oral temp...?

Science isn’t this hard folks. Flabbergasting.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I feel the meat shortage will worsen in the future.

1 hog farmer I know felt fortunate to be able to sell his hogs (250) just last week.

Another is offering to sell to the public, as opposed to processors.

They feed them, but can't keep them indefinitely.

Price of beef is rapidly rising, at least around here. Stopped at a local butcher shop to buy some sirloins - they were out.

I've heard that some meat farmers are killing the animals......because they can't be processed?

We more than likely will have a meat shortage soon. May not be long lasting, as other countries may see an opportunity in shipping meat here.........but, who wants meat processed overseas in conditions that might not meet USDA standards?

I was talking to a rancher who informed me of something I never heard of...

They can only sell their stock when it is a certain size.
Otherwise you end up with Fred Flintstone Steaks.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Actually imported met must meet U.S government standards.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsi...port-procedures

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Does the u.s. have inspectors in over seas/out of country plants monitoring the production? Or, do we just check a few steaks here and there, and take the other countries word that it's clean, and fresh, and was processed properly?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Do you have any idea how much meat has been imported into this country? In 2015 we imported 3.37 billion pounds of beef alone. So far it seems that you're concerned with a red herring.

Instead of just trying to start an argument why don't you actually read the article and see how it is inspected and what the process actually is. Then get back to me.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
You just can't make this stuff up:

T
Legend
Legend
T
House Legislator seeks to limit Dr Amy Actins power:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/cont...my-actons-power

Would change Actins orders: to a recommendation to the Asembly to give an up or down vote:

Not too harsh of a check in power imo, give the democratic process some ability,
Not as much as the people to vote, but at least representatives a chance to vote instead of Top Down Tyrany by Dictate.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Just saw trump get off AF1/2 and extended his hand to the AZ gov. The AZ gov pulled his hand back...what an ass right? rofl

I'd have no problem shaking hands with 10 people, as long as everyone knows how to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before touching their face and eyes, I personally am more concerned about breathing others' breath from the sourounding air and contacting that same air with your eyes and mouth.

Yet nobody will shake hands, (Laugh) now a days.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Would change Actins orders: to a recommendation to the Asembly to give an up or down vote:

Not too harsh of a check in power imo, give the democratic process some ability,
Not as much as the people to vote, but at least representatives a chance to vote instead of Top Down Tyrany by Dictate.

So put the science through a GOP filter... smh

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

What a bunch of deplorable non-science sexist pigs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-let-die-blasts-president-013638094.html

'Live and Let Die' blasts as President Trump visits mask factory
LA Times
Randall Roberts
,LA Times•May 5, 2020

As President Trump toured an N95 mask manufacturing plant in Phoenix on Tuesday, his visit through the facility was accompanied by a head-scratching musical soundtrack: the Paul McCartney-penned “Live and Let Die,” as performed by Guns 'N Roses.

The president and his entourage were touring a Honeywell factory that produces the masks, worn by medical workers to protect them from breathing in the deadly COVID-19 virus. Standing next to a green bin filled with hundreds of masks, a notably un-face-masked Trump watched an employee work as the music segued from the Animals' "House of the Rising Sun" into the song McCartney wrote and recorded for the James Bond film of the same name.

The background music for the tour also included Trump rally stalwarts such as Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." and Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger."
In a tweet, Jimmy Kimmel noted: "I can think of no better metaphor for this presidency than Donald Trump not wearing a face mask to a face mask factory while the song 'Live and Let Die' blares in the background."

The song's climactic blast of music arrived as a Honeywell representative was explaining to the president the ways in which the mask's material protects against particulates. As he was doing so, Rose could be heard yowling, "If this ever-changing world in which we live in / Makes you give in and cry / say live and let die."

Needless to say, it wasn't just Kimmel confounded by the scene.

Brian Tyler Cohen
✔
@briantylercohen
"Live and Let Die." That's the song that Trump had pumped into the mask factory during his visit. Seriously. Like, seriously.
Embedded video

8:09 PM - May 5, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

941 people are talking about this

So far, Rose, an outspoken Trump critic, has yet to comment. But a few years ago he called the president the "gold standard of what can be considered disgraceful." More recently, he tweeted a photo of an anti-Trump baseball cap.

Last edited by Jester; 05/06/20 07:10 AM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Good!!! She cannot be trusted. And, I do not want to hear she cares about life. She does not care about life. If she did Planned Parenthood would have been shutdown during this pandemic.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Nobody has suggested that so I will igniter it as propaganda. We have said "Not yet." The problem is with the rush to do this without testing that was promised, any vaccine in place that is proven, any documentation for adequate tracking in a comprehensive plan, and any proof that we can "mitigate" or "whack it!" Line up and drink your bleach. This entire debacle has been worse than I can remember. If you want to open faster, then do what was promised Open safely. Ohio is screwing it up now IMO. Kushner was incompetent and Trump indifferent. If the first 60,000 plus didn't matter, then the ones we will add to them are probably acceptable. haste lays waste. We seemed to have lessened America IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Nobody has suggested that so I will igniter it as propaganda. We have said "Not yet." The problem is with the rush to do this without testing that was promised, any vaccine in place that is proven, any documentation for adequate tracking in a comprehensive plan, and any proof that we can "mitigate" or "whack it!"

Exactly .... we still have insufficient data to make any intelligent decisions because testing is totally insufficient.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

This is a very revealing interview.

The reality that the world faces.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/0...n-ac360-vpx.cnn

The logistics of what we face.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Good!!! She cannot be trusted. And, I do not want to hear she cares about life. She does not care about life. If she did Planned Parenthood would have been shutdown during this pandemic.

Just curious why you feel she can't be trusted? Because her suggestions don't line up with the "Open the Country" narrative?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Sadly, no easy answers exist.

If the governors would have just followed the rules and worked with the State Legislatures to pass bills to handle this situation everyone would have been more comfortable with things and public outcry would probably be about zero.

The governors over-stepped their authority and done too much on their own, and the legislature and the courts, who are supposed to keep the balance of power done nothing. This has made people very uneasy. This all could have been avoid if they had just followed the rules.

Sadly, we are probably going to be stuck dealing with this for a long time.

I personally don't think we will have a vaccine for this for 5 years.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl...ow/75526635.cms

I know a few dozen have entered trials, but there is no guarantee they will work, and we don't know the side effects. It isn't as easy to just develop a vaccine. I do know that they have found that previous vaccines for other Coronavirus like infections such H1N1, SARS, and MERS don't attach or show much in common with COVID 19 and that makes it like starting from scratch in making a vaccine whereas the other dieseases shared enough similiar traits to re-use parts of previous vaccines.

Were probably in for a long ride with this one. If we don't get a workable vaccine in the 1st year it will be a very long time before we get one for this.

Legend
Legend
J/C

Money over life. We know how ya’ll roll GOPers. Gotta get me my slaves back to work so my bottom line isn’t hit too much. Pffft ... too bad they won’t be able to afford to buy meat on their pittance of a minimum wage they’ll be earning while putting their lives on the line for their greedy ass bosses.

– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Just curious why you feel she can't be trusted? Because her suggestions don't line up with the "Open the Country" narrative?

She does not care about life! She kept Planned Parenthood open. You cannot care about life and destroy the most innocent among life.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So the law of the land is that abortions are legal. Your premise seems to be that if she doesn't interfere in something that is legal, she can't be trusted and doesn't care about life.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So the law of the land is that abortions are legal. Your premise seems to be that if she doesn't interfere in something that You disagree with, she can't be trusted and doesn't care about life.

Fixed it for you

Joe Thomas #73
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Covid Wars 2020 The Wrath of Stupidity

Link Copied to Clipboard