Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1762175 05/11/20 03:51 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Covid 19 has altered the way we live. Still so much unknown. One expert I heard on Meet the Press said we will have to learn to live with this virus.

Made we wonder about stadiums without fans. How would that environment affect performance?

Most players have been playing in front of people since Mom and Dad were at Pop Warner games or equivalent. Each grade up more people in the stands.

TV may add crowd noise. They may put people computer generated images into the stands. Who knows what the end result will look like.

But playing games with nobody there will have to be one strange sensation. No worry about hearing signals. But no juice. No cheers. What dance moves in the end zone with nobody there? Will the players be flat? Will the lack of crowd emotion actually change play?

I wonder. Nothing to base it on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Echooooooooooooooooo

Echoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I actually think the fans part is the least problematic. Sure the NFL will lose billions of dollars by not having all those revenue streams available when fans are in the stadium, but at least there is the TV money.

What I find serious is what happens when (not if) a player gets infected? By current rules everyone he comes into contact with will have to be quarantined for 14 days.

So say a player gets infected. The entire team has to be quarantined for 2 weeks? It will be a mess.

Last edited by BWinCA; 05/11/20 04:48 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wonder what CBA says about Covid?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Lots to consider.

Testing will be done continually is my guess from the moment camp starts and before. It will be a very sterile environment for all.

Every precaution will be taken to avoid that type of thing.

But as we are learning with Pence's press secretary testing positive. Best laid plans can go wrong.

We all want normal. But we are not in charge here. The virus is.

My question is related more about game performance with no crowd?

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Not to mention the contracts. If the season is forfeited, what happens to the 1 year contracts? Do they just rollover to next year? What if they play a partial season this year?

They must be going crazy with all of this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BWinCA
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Not to mention the contracts. If the season is forfeited, what happens to the 1 year contracts? Do they just rollover to next year? What if they play a partial season this year?

They must be going crazy with all of this.

All legite q's. Welcome to the board.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
T
Legend
Legend
T
Just make people sign a waiver, attend at your own risk.

Opening day, fans will be in the stands.

I doubt the NFL will play any games fans are completely shut out of.

So I think, Whenever they do kickoff, there will be fans, maybe limited amounts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Covid 19 has altered the way we live. Still so much unknown. One expert I heard on Meet the Press said we will have to learn to live with this virus.

Made we wonder about stadiums without fans. How would that environment affect performance?

Most players have been playing in front of people since Mom and Dad were at Pop Warner games or equivalent. Each grade up more people in the stands.

TV may add crowd noise. They may put people computer generated images into the stands. Who knows what the end result will look like.

But playing games with nobody there will have to be one strange sensation. No worry about hearing signals. But no juice. No cheers. What dance moves in the end zone with nobody there? Will the players be flat? Will the lack of crowd emotion actually change play?

I wonder. Nothing to base it on.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Crickets.

None of that 12th Man junk.

Can they still come to the stadium? half full?

Major revenue bypass. Suppose you are exposed as a player, say at SB or playoff games approaching.

I suspect that having everybody's test status may need to be done as part of injury reports.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
All games will be on pay per view this year. Sunday Ticket is now $1400.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If they made testing mandatory for every player before every game, I might actually get mad. We're STILL struggling to get testing to where it should be in response to this pandemic, and football players are going to have all the testing they want so they can play games?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
ROGER GOODELL
C, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Seth Wickersham reports the league and team officials have agreed on a proposal to raise the debt limit $150 million for each team to make up for lost revenue in the event that games are played without fans this season.

The proposal will be voted on next week. A recent study conducted by Patrick Rishe, the sports business program director at Washington University, showed the NFL would lose about $138 million in revenue from tickets and game-day fan spending for each week played without fans, and nearly $2.3 billion over the course of a full season. The increased debt limit has been discussed among league executives for weeks, and this pitch would raise that allotted amount from $350 million to $500 million for 2020. It's another step towards the league eventually commencing on Thursday, September 10 with the Texans and Chiefs as scheduled.

SOURCE: Seth Wickersham on Twitter
May 12, 2020, 12:12 PM ET

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: BWinCA
I actually think the fans part is the least problematic. Sure the NFL will lose billions of dollars by not having all those revenue streams available when fans are in the stadium, but at least there is the TV money.

What I find serious is what happens when (not if) a player gets infected? By current rules everyone he comes into contact with will have to be quarantined for 14 days.

So say a player gets infected. The entire team has to be quarantined for 2 weeks? It will be a mess.

On the first part - it'll be fascinating to see what happens financially. Loss of billions means (theoretically) the salary cap will be impacted. We could see a reduction in the salary cap next year which would wreak havoc across the league.

Good points on quarantine.

Regarding contracts & CBA - they should all have a force majeure clause which should give guidance on what happens. If not, there are a lot of lawyers and/or agents that should be fired.

Legend
Legend
Yes, I guess. But if say three starters have it, the IR should notify of status or disqualify for two weeks/14 days. Opponents should have notification. How many on the positive results squad should be denied playing. Suddenly, PS might be critically important. So would building in depth.

I really favor further testing for all of us. Show the same restraint as they have at the WH. Just not for the peons. This will need to be addressed IMO before the season mechanics get finalized.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Rookie
Rookie
L
My opinion is, unless more testing capacity exists than we know what to do with & the population can be tested at will at any time for $0 cost than the NFL, and sports in general, are disingenuous and should cancel their seasons for 2020. And that could possibly be the case for 2021 and 2022. Until we have that capacity and/or a vaccine.

Keep in mind that the quickest vaccine in history was 4 years.

It would definitely suck. But for the life of me, sports and their testing needs should take the least priority there is.

I hope the player's union is well funded and strong; they should supporting their players that may not have income checks because of all this.

L
Legend
Legend
L
That would suck, to not watch your team play on Sundays for three years.

If Art Model knew that was possible, he’d roll over in his grave.

Oh wait.....

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Yes, I guess. But if say three starters have it, the IR should notify of status or disqualify for two weeks/14 days. Opponents should have notification. How many on the positive results squad should be denied playing. Suddenly, PS might be critically important. So would building in depth.

I really favor further testing for all of us. Show the same restraint as they have at the WH. Just not for the peons. This will need to be addressed IMO before the season mechanics get finalized.

Testing is great, but it doesn't mean much. You don't have VD until, well, until you do. Just because you are in the clear Saturday afternoon doesn't mean you are come Sunday morning.

Testing is maybe a feel good thing, but it doesn't mean squat. It means you were clean when you were tested. It doesn't mean you are now.

I don't see how they play the season without risking players and fans health. JMO

I just paid $3600 for my 2 season tickets. I really don't plan on using any of them unless there is some break through here.

My life might not be worth much to some of you, but to me it is worth a bit over $3600.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Just make people sign a waiver, attend at your own risk.

Opening day, fans will be in the stands.

I doubt the NFL will play any games fans are completely shut out of.

So I think, Whenever they do kickoff, there will be fans, maybe limited amounts.

At this stage I'd be willing to show up opening day in the midst of a full stadium.

I get what you are saying about a waiver, and normally that would be an appropriate option. But everything about COVID is bass ackwards. We aren't in general being afforded the opportunity to accept personal risk. These restrictions aren't intended to protect you or me. If they were, people would be given opportunities to take on that risk. Instead, the restrictions are designed to protect someone, somewhere whom you may theoretically possibly pass the virus on to that just maybe fall in to the shrinking portion of people who will have more serious health issues as a result.

So while I'm sure they could find almost 68,000 fans willing to sign a waiver that is what the counter-argument will be.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
We'd be really lucky if the worst thing that happened was that fans couldn't attend games. The alternative is to scary to even consider.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no problem w/you stating your opinion, but I think your post belongs in the Political forum.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have no problem w/you stating your opinion, but I think your post belongs in the Political forum.

There's nothing political or inaccurate about it and it was a direct response to the suggestion of a waiver in order to attend a football game in person.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Echooooooooooooooooo

Echoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Do you remember when we used to talk crap about the Steelers for pumping fan noise in to their stadium? Seems like they were ahead of the curve... mad

-Jack Burton

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't say your post was inaccurate. I said it belongs in the Political forum. And, it does. But whatever, I can live w/out this thread. LOL

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
At this stage I'd be willing to show up opening day in the midst of a full stadium.

Somehow I'm not surprised by this. You do know none of this is actually about you but all of the innocent people you come in contact with after words, right?

You aren't just making that decision for yourself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I didn't say your post was inaccurate. I said it belongs in the Political forum. And, it does. But whatever, I can live w/out this thread. LOL

Mini mod all you want, but it still wasn't a political post.

-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Somehow I'm not surprised by this. You do know none of this is actually about you but all of the innocent people you come in contact with after words, right?

You aren't just making that decision for yourself.

Aside from your misuse of the word "innocent"... that is literally what I said in regards to what the counter argument to filling out waivers would be lol

If the Browns announce that it's full steam ahead week 1, and taking them up on that makes me a selfish jerk, oh well. I guess I'm a selfish jerk then.

This might surprise you though. If I did show up to this hypothetical game and they passed out Growl Towels and asked that I wear it as a mask, I'd probably do it!

-Jack Burton

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's not about you being at the stadium. It's about after you leave.

Coronavirus: How a Champions League match contributed to Italy's COVID-19 outbreak

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/co...id-19-outbreak/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's not about you being at the stadium. It's about after you leave.

Coronavirus: How a Champions League match contributed to Italy's COVID-19 outbreak

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/co...id-19-outbreak/

And those crowds were small by comparison.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Sweet. Can we get a sitcom like laugh track too?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we know a little more about Covid now and will know even more over the next two months than Italy did ... Does it mean we should have stadiums full of people ... maybe, maybe not ... lets see what happens over the next few months and how things go ...

What i do know is that comparing what happened in Italy two months ago to what may happen this September isn’t intelligent at all ... its flat out ignorant based off our knowledge base from what we’ve all ready learned and will learn over the next few months ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we know a little more about Covid now and will know even more over the next two months than Italy did ... Does it mean we should have stadiums full of people ... maybe, maybe not ... lets see what happens over the next few months and how things go ...

What i do know is that comparing what happened in Italy two months ago to what may happen this September isn’t intelligent at all ... its flat out ignorant based off our knowledge base from what we’ve all ready learned and will learn over the next few months ...

I am keeping a hopeful mind, but the last thing we need is a 2nd wave to blow up.

Sure, make people entering wear masks and keep them on. Prop all doors, entrance, exits, and restrooms open so people don't have to touch them to open. Have hand sanitizers at the top and bottom of all escalators. Escalator handles are nasty things.

I suppose there are things we can do to mitigate the risk, but all it takes is that one infected guy or girl to infect 50 others pre-game, who end up infecting another 50 each quarter. You know what I am saying.

But, as you said, things might change.

I will have to weigh it very carefully.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
As well u should bro ... i am overly cautious also ... at our age thats smart ...

I’m not saying there’ll be fans in the stands .... and if there are i may think its not smart ... all I’m saying is we just don’t know at this point ...

Take care bud ... best to u and your wife ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I fully expect Goodell to cancel the season. After all, New England no longer has Brady. smile

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
We do know more now than Italy knew then. That's why they wouldn't have had that soccer game with a crowd now. That's what we have learned.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
If u think thats all we learned ... thats a real shame ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Pray tell me what we learned that makes a crowd of 60.000 people safer when gathered in a stadium?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Condoms?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Here's a sample of what is (probably) to come. . .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba...atching-on.html

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Games without fans

Link Copied to Clipboard