Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Steelers Coach Paid James Harrison for Violent Hit

Former Steelers linebacker James Harrison has had his share of fines in the NFL for vicious hits. However, he may not have had as much financial loss as previously reported because of them.

Harrison admitted that coach Mike Tomlin handed him “an envelope” after one of the most violent hits of his career, as he said to Barstool Sports. Harrison had knocked out Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi and shortly afterward Tomlin did what Harrison describes as the “G-est thing.”

“And I ain’t gonna lie to you, when that happened, right? the G-est thing Mike Tomlin ever did, he handed me an envelope after that.”

“I ain’t gonna say what, but he handed me an envelope after that.”

Tomlin remains the head coach of the Steelers, which could be problematic if the NFL investigates this anywhere as heavily as they do all things Tom Brady.

Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit. The 5-time Pro Bowl said that if he knew he would be fined that much, he’d have hit Massaquoi harder.

“Listen, on everything I love, on my daddy’s grave, I hit that man with about 50% of what I had and I just hit him because I wanted him to let loose of the ball,” said Harrison. “If I had knew they was gonna fine me $75,000, I would have tried to kill him.”

Yikes.

https://heavy.com/nfl/2020/05/steelers-paid-james-harrison/

Last edited by Dave; 05/14/20 04:19 PM. Reason: Clarify headline
Legend
Legend
Sounds pretty "bounty"ish to me ...

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Didn't he also knock out Josh Cribbs in that game? Might have been a package deal.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Of watching Harrison play,
This is not a surprise. My 1st reaction was, which of the many dozens of times is this referring to.

Legend
Legend
There was a stretch of about 3-5 years where it seemed like the Steeler players were WAY dirtier than ever before ... I mean, they always beat us, but they seemed to want to hurt us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Tomlin should be tossed.

[Linked Image]
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dave
Didn't he also knock out Josh Cribbs in that game? Might have been a package deal.

I checked, and Harrison had knocked out Cribbs a few plays earlier in the same game. A little over a year later his head-to-head shot on Colt McCoy concussed McCoy. Guess he really learned his lesson from that $75K fine, eh? On the other hand $75K isn't really that much when you made over $40M in your career.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Tomlin should be tossed.

If it can be proved, he should get what Sean Payton got for Bountygate - 1 year suspension.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. But here's the thing: Even though harrison himself said it, I'm sure the nfl won't find any proof.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Agreed. But here's the thing: Even though harrison himself said it, I'm sure the nfl won't find any proof.

And Harrison could/should come out tomorrow and say...."Man, I was just playin". This is, of course, after Tomlin and the league contact him and ask him to walk it back. brownie

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Follow the money. I'm pretty sure Mike Tomlin hasn't made the kind of money to be paying bounties out of his own pocket. If they were dumb enough to write a check, if an examination of the Steelers books identifies an expense account that Tomlin controlled (slush fund), or if another player comes forward to back up Harrison's allegation, then Tomlin is in trouble.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
There was a time when the Steelers had the Browns already defeated before a single coin was
Ever flipped
Those Browns teams really lacked heart in those days

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was true - Tomlin has always been a dirty coach.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It doesn't surprise me either. Pittsburgh is one of the more popular teams in the league. Teams like that seem to get away with more. We couldn't get away with half of the nonsense they did.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
There was a time when the Steelers had the Browns already defeated before a single coin was
Ever flipped

Lol. First game I took my son to. He was about 4 or 5 at the time. Joey Porter and William Green got into a fight at midfield during the coin toss. We spent that game watching Jeff Garcia run for his life.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Ever flipped

Lol. First game I took my son to. He was about 4 or 5 at the time. Joey Porter and William Green got into a fight at midfield during the coin toss. We spent that game watching Jeff Garcia run for his life.

I remember being really upset that none of the Browns OL went after Harrison after his vicious hit on McCoy. Then I think back to the time Jack Lambert took a cheap shot at Brian Sipe near the Browns' sideline and he disappeared under a sea of Browns' jerseys who had watched him body-slam Brian. Lambert emerged from that scrum looking like a drunk at closing time looking for a lamp post. He had to be thinking "that may have been a mistake". Point being: make there be a price if an opponent tries to take out one of your guys.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Hopefully the Browns OC or whomever made that play call...hopefully that play was removed and tossed into the trash.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Here is the entire article including stuff that the Pittsburgh article left out.

It includes this part as well.

Quote:
Colon asked Harrison about the hit on Cribbs, to which Harrison responded they were “almost back-to-back.”

“I was looking to put (Cribbs) to sleep because that’s my homeboy,” Harrison said. “I’ve got to talk greasy to him so I was looking to put him to sleep. I wasn’t looking to put Massaquoi to sleep but he just went to sleep.”

Harrison and Cribbs were teammates at Kent State.

Saints coach Sean Payton, who was suspended for the 2012 season as a result of the Saints Bountygate scandal, weighed in on Harrison’s allegations in a radio interview on Thursday.

Payton was candid when asked for his thoughts on former Steelers LB James Harrison saying in a recent podcast appearance that Mike Tomlin handed him an envelope after a big hit on Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. pic.twitter.com/mlVQlenCLD
— Luke Johnson (@ByLukeJohnson) May 14, 2020

“If people are waiting for the league to investigate that, they shouldn’t hold their breath,” Payton said on 105.7 The Fan with Jason LaCanfora, reported Luke Johnson of the New Orleans Advocate and Times-Picayune. "I think what took place with us back in 2011 in so many ways was a sham, and yet there wasn’t a lot we could do with it. The players were vindicated, but from a league or coaching standpoint, there is no union, there is no representation.

“I would be shocked. That’ll be something that’s tucked away or under the rug at Park Avenue. They’ll look into it briefly. Listen, don’t get me started on that. I lost $6 million in salary, and honestly it was something that I’ll never truly get over because I know how it was handled and how it was run and the reasons behind it.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05...t-happened.html

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Here is the entire article including stuff that the Pittsburgh article left out.

It includes this part as well.

Quote:
Colon asked Harrison about the hit on Cribbs, to which Harrison responded they were “almost back-to-back.”

“I was looking to put (Cribbs) to sleep because that’s my homeboy,” Harrison said. “I’ve got to talk greasy to him so I was looking to put him to sleep. I wasn’t looking to put Massaquoi to sleep but he just went to sleep.”

Harrison and Cribbs were teammates at Kent State.

Saints coach Sean Payton, who was suspended for the 2012 season as a result of the Saints Bountygate scandal, weighed in on Harrison’s allegations in a radio interview on Thursday.

Payton was candid when asked for his thoughts on former Steelers LB James Harrison saying in a recent podcast appearance that Mike Tomlin handed him an envelope after a big hit on Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. pic.twitter.com/mlVQlenCLD
— Luke Johnson (@ByLukeJohnson) May 14, 2020

“If people are waiting for the league to investigate that, they shouldn’t hold their breath,” Payton said on 105.7 The Fan with Jason LaCanfora, reported Luke Johnson of the New Orleans Advocate and Times-Picayune. "I think what took place with us back in 2011 in so many ways was a sham, and yet there wasn’t a lot we could do with it. The players were vindicated, but from a league or coaching standpoint, there is no union, there is no representation.

“I would be shocked. That’ll be something that’s tucked away or under the rug at Park Avenue. They’ll look into it briefly. Listen, don’t get me started on that. I lost $6 million in salary, and honestly it was something that I’ll never truly get over because I know how it was handled and how it was run and the reasons behind it.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/05...t-happened.html

That's a remarkably candid take from a current HC. Wow

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yo GM, wassup??

So Harrison likes knocking guys out, possibly inflicting permanent damage?

We knew he was a scumbag, now he further paints the picture.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
He paints a picture that includes the Steelers front office. So many fans stand up for the Steelers. Why is it that so many folks ignore the fact that Pittsburgh has ignored the truth about the NFL. The NFL makes sure that most teams get shoved under the rug, and the truth gets buried. It's so embarrassed.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Since it has been like "forever" since the Browns have had a "hard hitting LB" like Harrison...I wonder how Browns fans would feel if the Browns had LBs who played the game like the Steelers Lambert and Harrison played the game...?

Legend
Legend
Hard hitting is great. Playing dirty, taking cheap shots, and trying to hurt others is not.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: mac
Since it has been like "forever" since the Browns have had a "hard hitting LB" like Harrison...I wonder how Browns fans would feel if the Browns had LBs who played the game like the Steelers Lambert and Harrison played the game...?

They would absolutely love him.

Legend
Legend
Not sure I can answer that, but clean and brutal can be OK, but I think they would build him a shrine. buy him a steak, and he would not buy a drink in Cleveland while a player here.

Like I said, not certain, but I want to go on the record as being willing to risk it. Other people may have strong feelings.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Hard hitting is great. Playing dirty, taking cheap shots, and trying to hurt others is not.

gm...define "hard hitting"... and the other terms you used, "playing dirty"..."taking cheap shots"... and "trying to hurt others".

...your idea (definition) of the acts you cited, is going to different than most LBers.

I want players on my team playing all out on every play, hitting as hard as they can. Those catching a football against the Browns defense should expect to get tackled and hit as hard as our defenders can hit with the goal to "un-lodge" the football.

You cannot play "winning football" with players who are trying to meter their play, so they don't hit "too hard" or hit so hard that they "hurt" an opposing player.

The Browns coaches would welcome a hard hitting LB like Harrison or Lambert and 99% of Browns fans would welcome that kind or tough, hard hitting football here in Cleveland.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Ever flipped

I remember being really upset that none of the Browns OL went after Harrison after his vicious hit on McCoy. Then I think back to the time Jack Lambert took a cheap shot at Brian Sipe near the Browns' sideline and he disappeared under a sea of Browns' jerseys who had watched him body-slam Brian. Lambert emerged from that scrum looking like a drunk at closing time looking for a lamp post. He had to be thinking "that may have been a mistake". Point being: make there be a price if an opponent tries to take out one of your guys.

I agree. That is my only complaint about Joe. I never saw him do anything to stick up for his QB.

I am not talking about getting in to a fight, but you can grab a guy by the jersey and say "What are you doing?" and let him know that isn't going to be tolerated.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac

gm...define "hard hitting"... and the other terms you used, "playing dirty"..."taking cheap shots"... and "trying to hurt others".

...your idea (definition) of the acts you cited, is going to different than most LBers.

I want players on my team playing all out on every play, hitting as hard as they can. Those catching a football against the Browns defense should expect to get tackled and hit as hard as our defenders can hit with the goal to "un-lodge" the football.

You cannot play "winning football" with players who are trying to meter their play, so they don't hit "too hard" or hit so hard that they "hurt" an opposing player.

The Browns coaches would welcome a hard hitting LB like Harrison or Lambert and 99% of Browns fans would welcome that kind or tough, hard hitting football here in Cleveland.

I agree with that. Don Rogers as an example. We loved him but hated a guy like Steve Atwater. Both played the same way.

I will say I do think Harrison was dirty player.

Who was the Steelers receiver, played QB at Georgia? People thought he took cheap shots. I never did.

He was just playing the game hard.

Hines Ward.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

L
Legend
Legend
L
GM is right.

IMO of course.

I don’t want a punk, dirty football player on my team, who jokes about knocking guys out. Play tough but don’t be an animal.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
What were your thoughts on TJ Ward? Like/dislike?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers
5 of 12

James Harrison, to me, is the dirtiest player the NFL has seen in years and years.

The Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker was fined $120,000 for a number of illegal hits last season. In particular, he knocked Cleveland receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Joshua Cribbs out of the game. He also had hits on defenseless quarterbacks three times (Drew Brees, Jason Campbell and Ryan Fitzpatrick were the victims).

In 2011, Harrison will probably become the first NFL player ever suspended for an illegal hit.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/801296-12-dirtiest-players-in-the-nfl-today

He has already said he tried to "Put people to sleep" on the football field. that's not clean football. How much was the guy fined in his career? 200? 250, 300K? What's next is somebody going to deny Vontaz Burfict was a dirty player?

R
Legend
Legend
R
James Harrison is dirty. The hits were dirty. The Steelers are dirty and protected, which allows them to be dirty. Of course, we've got the defenders of Harrison and the Steelers on here. Deep down, they love to hate their own team.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There's not doubt in my mind that if Harrison played for the Browns, he would have been penalized heavily and suspended for those hits with intent to injure.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
What I still can't understand is why people are hung up on the Massaquoi hit, but don't talk at all about the Cribbs hit just a couple plays before.

!!!!

The Massaquoi hit was dirty, but it was also a bang-bang play, MM did brace right before impact which brought the hit up higher. I think it's dirty but there's at least a little bit of argument to be had there.

The Cribbs hit was all dirty. Crown of the helmet to the earhole, Cribbs was already being tackled and on his way to the ground when Harrison launched and finished him off and Cribbs was completely defenseless (as he didn't see him coming and was already going to the ground).

It's things like this that prevent me from making fun of many of those NFL conspiracy theorists. And I normally LOVE making fun of conspiracy theorists.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was true - Tomlin has always been a dirty coach.

Like when he wandered out onto the field and disrupted a kickoff return that was going to go for a TD?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
James Harrison: Tomlin Paid Him For Violent Hit

Wonder how the investigation is going.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It's on the back burner. It will be investigated right after they investigate that bus load of 18 year old cheer leaders that I claimed raped me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
James Harrison: Tomlin Paid Him For Violent Hit

Wonder how the investigation is going.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum James Harrison: Tomlin Paid Him For Violent Hit

Link Copied to Clipboard