Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
More prayers are on the way buddy.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for you and your family.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't actually know of any Malaria drug that the medical community believes is helpful. What they have actually found to be helpful is the antiviral drug remdesivir.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been staying away from the board recently because I'm pretty sure there's not going to be a season and it bums out pretty hard but I came back today because I was curious to see how this crowd was feeling about this issue in particular. I find it so incredibly stupid how this has become a political issues but so much of our country is simply in the jaws of pan-politicizing literally everything so it's not really surprising.

I'm in New Jersey, just outside of NYC and we know probably about 20 people personally that have been through the wringer with this. Most went through what would be typified as a pretty bad flu but came out of it ok. A handful of others got creamed or killed. What's strange to me is that more than half of the people we know that got the worst of it aren't "high risk".

My brother inlaw had a fever over 101 for 23 days, went to the hospital twice though they sent him home. His fever is gone now but he's dealing with some major neurological and chronic pain issues. He's 42, a 4 day a week surfer, engineer by trade, can-do guy who remodeled his whole house single-handedly, fit and otherwise healthy and he's been totally felled.

Guy I played music with, his wife is a doctor and both came down with it. She recovered in about 2 weeks but he's been up and down and up and down, alternating tests back and forth between positive and negative since late march. He's late 30's, trains MMA and is also pretty fit and healthy. I've never heard him complain about anything and he can barely get out of bed. It's so strange.

My wife's great aunt died in early June but she was in her 90's, bed riden with a live-in aide. She went quick, 2 days from positive test to dead.

Just learned over the weekend that my wife's cousins in NYC were knocked on their keesters for 3 weeks and almost went to the hospital. They're ok now but still dealing with lingering effects.

I've found myself alternating between stupid teenager who thinks he can handle anything and why not just get it over with and a wizened elder who's taking every precaution. In March I thought this was all just a big over reaction, a big internet freak out. Now? Having seen what it's doing to the people around us, I've certainly changed my tune.

I don't know about a vaccine. The people I know in that world seem to indicate not to expect anything robust for a long while. The virus mutates rapidly. I've got my hopes pinned on a treatment after infection. Something like what Tamiflu is for the flu. Let's hope Remdesivir pans out.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't actually know of any Malaria drug that the medical community believes is helpful. What they have actually found to be helpful is the antiviral drug remdesivir.

I thought I read they used that to treat malaria. Maybe it was some other drug.

The point is they are trying a lot of different drugs, and some seem to at least have some positive impact. Or, maybe it is simply a placebo and the patient thinks it is working, so they will themselves better.

Here you go. Things may have changed since March.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical...-19/ar-BB11s3QY

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Remdesivir was originally developed to try to treat ebola.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are anti-malaria drugs

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
Here are today's Ohio coronavirus numbers (briefing expected tomorrow):
2,807 confirmed deaths: 6 new, a big drop from 21 yesterday
3,064 total deaths: 257 probables
62,913 confirmed cases: 1,244 new cases, down from 1,341 yesterday
66,853 total cases: 3,940 probables

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
Other breakdowns:
949 current hospitalizations (down from 954 yesterday)
293 in ICU (up from 289 yesterday)
159 on ventilators (up from 154 yesterday)
1,020,811 total tests administered: 18,348 new; 23,314 new yesterday
Positivity rate 6.5%; 7-day moving average 6.1%

https://twitter.com/karenkasler/status/1282738099043225600

C
Legend
Legend
C

This is a huge deal. LAUSD has over a million students. Usually what they do the smaller surrounding districts do also.

(My wife is a teacher in LA.)

R
Legend
Legend
R
I've lamented on here the turmoil parents like us are feeling with the new school year coming up.

The last thing you want is for your kids to get sick. Not going to school is also not good, especially for my kids' age. Their emotional and social development depends on it.

What a cluster.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes it has changed. The longer the virus has been out there the more they know. Remdesivir is the go to drug at this time which has shown the best results to this point.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I totally get it. One of the huge problems is that kids, if they were to go back now, would not have the same interaction they usually do with their classmates or teachers. My wife and her coworkers have been discussing all the possible scenarios and none of them make any sense.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester
Remdesivir was originally developed to try to treat ebola.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are anti-malaria drugs

That is what I said in follow-up....or posted in follow-up. Dr.'s have been using that with some results.

Not sure how good the results might be, but some of the early reports sound decent.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Here are New York's plans.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

We have a guy who is an Infectious Disease doctor on this board and everyone just ignored him. LOL

Who? And when did he post? I am curious to review the thread lol.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jester. He works as an Infectious Disease doctor in Charlotte, NC. I think that that info is correct.

He said this in response to another post:

Quote:

Let me start by saying that I don't know what the dynamics are between these scientists, the government and Pharma. I don't know who is acting or not acting but I know this much. If Pharma developed this, it would be quite lucrative.

Right now we are using this therapy (convalescent plasma) as treatment for the sickest of the sick.

At this point we have to use natural plasma. Meaning that a person needs to become sick with Covid, recover, then donate their blood. That blood has to be tested to show that they have developed enough antibodies to be helpful. This puts that plasma on very short supply. So we reserve it for the very sick to try to prevent deaths.

These scientist talk about converting this convalescent plasma into an intramuscular shot. We do this already with a few infections. Hepatitis A, Varicella (chicken pox - very important for pregnant women who get exposed) and even small pox. Hepatitis A and chicken pox are easy to come by because so many people have antibodies. Small pox is different so if a patient needs it the doctor has to call the CDC, there is a conference call with several hundred people on it and the decision is made on whether or not to release the plasma.

So again, getting convalescent plasma is not as easy as it sounds and coronavirus antibodies are in short supply. My hospital (a midsize hospital - ~500 beds) struggles to even get convalescent plasma for patients who are rapidly progressing towards death.

To bring things full circle, the cost of 1 dose (after it was developed) would probably run between $30,000 and $50,000 per dose. If 10% of the $329 millions Americans get it (3 million) at $30,000, that is what $9 trillion? That isn't even counting Europe or the rest of the world.

So money isn't the issue.
It's a great concept but fact is, coronavirus antibodies are not readily available to manufacture such a product.
Additionally, it won't provide lifelong protection. Likely somewhere between 6 months and 2 years

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Jester. He works as an Infectious Disease doctor in Charlotte, NC. I think that that info is correct.

That is correct

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So there is the "price" to administer plasma treatment and then there is the "actual hard cost" to administer the plasma treatment. Knowing what I know about the medical industry, I wonder what the differences are in those two numbers...

If this is something that was subsidized by the government could it be administered in bulk? This would only be an option IF the hard cost to do so was not astronomically cost prohibitive and only if we had a delivery mechanism to do so.

I do have a few questions in regards to immunity. If person "A" receives plasma treatment for coronavirus, is this treatment effective for all strains of this virus or only the one they originally contracted? ( I have heard that there are as many as 8-30 strains of the novel coronavirus)

Knowing that some people seemingly get reinfected would suggest that that person...

1) Had COVID-19 antibodies that completely wear off after a certain amount of time (2-4 months).

or...

2) Was reinfected by a different strain of coronavirus that is unique to that individual.

or...

3) Never fully recovered from the original coronavirus infection.

For the sake of argument, if someone is infected with strain 3 out of 30 of COVID-19, are they now immune ( for as long as those antibodies exist) to other similar yet mutated strains of the virus?

And IF someone has antibodies for strain 3 of 30 of the coronavirus, does that help them develop antibodies if they are exposed to coronavirus strain 5 of 30?

Last edited by CleVeLaNd_sTrife; 07/14/20 02:44 AM.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
It is my understanding, and this may well be outdated, but there are 8-30 mutations, but only a couple of strains. The original pretty much burned itself out in Wuhan, but the second is the most prevalent and is what we are dealing with. I actually am not aware of more than two strains.

The distinction is that a strain is a mutation that changes the behavior whereas it is common for there to be mutations that do not affect the behavior. These mutations can be used as markers to trace lineage of infection and is how, back in March, it was determined that the first cluster in Seattle was directly linked to the first case that arrived there, though they were six weeks apart with no known new cases between them. Since they had the same mutation, it was indisputable that they were related and the latter one came directly from the former (albeit perhaps through others along the way).

For reinfections, it has not been determined conclusively, yet, that people can actually be re-infected. It is unknown whether it is possible or if those cases were simply false-negatives prior to "re-infection".
Given the wide variability in testing reliability, it is entirely plausible that there hasn't been any re-infections.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
Here are today's Ohio coronavirus numbers (briefing expected tomorrow):
2,813 confirmed deaths: 6 new, same as yesterday
3,069 total deaths: 256 probables
64,013 confirmed cases: 1,100 new cases, down from 1,341 yesterday
67,995 total cases: 3,982 probables

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
Other breakdowns:
1,017 current hospitalizations (up from 949 yesterday)
314 in ICU (up from 293 yesterday)
156 on ventilators (down from 159 yesterday)
1,020,811 total tests administered: 18,956 new; 18,348 new yesterday
Positivity rate 6.2%; 7-day moving average 6.3%

https://twitter.com/karenkasler/status/1283100224634761217

Legend
Legend
j/c:

Florida Labs Acknowledge "Major Errors" After Reporting Positivity Rates Of 100%

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/several-florida-labs-report-positivity-rates-100

P.S. Oops

P
Legend
Legend
P
That does make a 19% positivity rate sound better. Even though that is also quite a terrible positivity rate.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
No worries - cases are going to go to go down drastically starting tomorrow:

~Lyuokdea
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now he's hiding all of his lies. I wonder what kind of lame excuses his supporters will come up with for this one?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
if the data the hospitals is getting is garbage, I don't see how this matters

It would be great if the testing centers just made all of their results anonymous and public.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
anonymous and public, WOW, wonder what the conspiracy crowd would think about the anonymous part....who's stuffing the box for what purpose?

Agree the whole thing has been a cluster, but anonymous ISN"T the answer, JMHO.

It is VERY hard to determine what to believe, BOTH sides are using their selected pieces to make their political points.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
What purpose do I need to stuff the box?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea
No worries - cases are going to go to go down drastically starting tomorrow:

I copied this from a reply on drudge to this same topic. If I were the hospitals or a governor, I simply would not send this info or would also release publicly. But this sounds like some tin pot strongman tactic.

In a letter slated to go out this week, Trump will ask governors to "consider" sending the guard to hospitals to "help improve data collection." As the president of the American Hospital Association states, this "makes no sense." If the National Guard is going to take a more active role in handling the coronavirus pandemic, double-checking hospital data does not really seem like the best use of their skills and abilities.
If the whole idea isn't suspicious enough to begin with, this plan coincides with a new directive that would eliminate sending data to the CDC. Instead, data will be sent through state agencies and federal contractors to new central federal reporting from HHS.

Hospital officials ignored the idea because "it's silly." But not everyone let the idea slip so easily, one industry official called the discussion "an offhand threat," directed at hospitals White House coronavirus task force response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx

O
Legend
Legend
O
Bet we're heading back to closing and partial shut down again. Probably addressing schools too.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I was thinking a statewide mask mandate.

Possibly bars shut down?

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Here's what DeWine should do.

Bring everything back to phase 1, get Dr. Acton back to her original post, mandate masks across the entire state, massive fines to those who don't otherwise comply, gives the fine money to an overloaded hospital system, and tell the dolts who won't comply things won't go back to where they were until everyone is wearing a mask.

Be safe, Ohioans. Sorry a bunch of nincompoops who aren't following the advice of medical professions are screwing everything up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds to me asif the want to be able to manipulate the numbers

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: hitt
anonymous and public, WOW, wonder what the conspiracy crowd would think about the anonymous part....who's stuffing the box for what purpose?

Agree the whole thing has been a cluster, but anonymous ISN"T the answer, JMHO.

It is VERY hard to determine what to believe, BOTH sides are using their selected pieces to make their political points.

I took anonymous and public as meaning releasing the positive/negative stats but without identifying the individuals, directly to the public instead of reporting to some government agency that then decides what they want to report depending on what agenda they want to push.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Pharma Exec Says Lawmakers Touting Vaccine By Year's End Doing ‘Grave Disservice’

HuffPost
Nick Visser
HuffPostJuly 15, 2020

The CEO of one of America’s largest pharmaceutical companies issued a bleak warning about the prospect of a vaccine for the novel coronavirus by the end of the year, saying lawmakers touting the possibility were doing a “grave disservice to the public.”

Ken Frazier, the CEO of Merck, made the comments in an interview with Harvard Business School last week. He directly targeted politicians who have asserted that a vaccine is around the corner, without naming President Donald Trump, saying such statements were premature and “actually tell the public not to do the things that the public needs to do.”

“What worries me the most is that the public is so hungry, so desperate to go back to normalcy, that they are pushing us to move things faster and faster,” Frazier said during an interview last week with Harvard professor Tsedal Neeley. “But ultimately, if you’re going to use a vaccine in billions of people, you better know what that vaccine does.”

He said that Merck’s most recent vaccine against Ebola took more than five years to produce, saying such research “requires a rigorous scientific assessment.”

“And here we didn’t even understand the virus itself or how the virus affects the immune system,” he continued.

Merck is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world and has been working alongside dozens of other major research groups to develop a vaccine to the coronavirus. Medical officials have stressed that even with social distancing measures, society will only be able to return to a pre-pandemic normal with an appropriate vaccine of therapeutic treatment for those that contract COVID-19.

Trump has repeatedly stressed that a vaccine is not far off, saying this month three efforts “are really, really looking good” and “we think we’re going to have it soon.” The White House has funneled resources into an effort called “Operation Warp Speed” to do so, and while some trials have shown promise, there are still many unanswered questions.

“I think when people tell the public that there’s going to be a vaccine by the end of 2020, for example, I think they do a grave disservice to the public,” Frazier said last week. “I think at the end of the day, we don’t want to rush the vaccine before we’ve done rigorous science. We’ve seen in the past, for example, with the swine flu, that that vaccine did more harm than good.”

“We don’t have a great history of introducing vaccines quickly in the middle of a pandemic,” he added.

Frazier has publicly sparred with the Trump administration before. In 2017, he resigned from one of the president’s business advisory councils after the White House failed to criticize white nationalists in Charlottesville.

“I feel a responsibility to take a stand against extremism,” Frazier said at the time.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ken-frazier-merck-coronavirus-vaccine-084803155.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Jester
Sounds to me asif the want to be able to manipulate the numbers

As of now the numbers, especially the infection rate, prove the lies coming from The White House. So if you can manipulate or hide the numbers it makes those lies harder to prove.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Jester,

Moderna’s full data got released yesterday.

Fauci’s group concluded that neutralizing antibodies do get produced, and all 40+ enrolled in the trial didn’t have any very serious reactions. I read the worst they saw was a small flu type reaction, but nothing debilitating like covid can be. Don’t articles like the one you posted disregard phase trials and potentially contribute to the nonsensical anti-vacation crowd?

I’ve read that a vaccine against a coronavirus is typically a challenge due to mutations, but my current understanding is the only mutation is in the number of spike proteins. The genetic makeup of the proteins hasn’t changed, yet. The mRNA vaccine gives cells instructions on how to dismantle the spikes. I know you probably know this due to your position of employment, but I also wanted to bring this to light on the board so everyone knows what’s going on.

I know Portland said we may only get like a 2-4 month immunity, but shouldn’t these results from Moderna and Oxford give us a little hope? Trevor Bedford/Nexstrain have still yet to share any significant data on a major mutation which renders any current vaccine design obsolete.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

ABC News
@ABC
JUST IN: All Walmart and Sam's Club shoppers will be required to wear a mask beginning on July 20.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1283424175793766400

M
Legend
Legend
M
Daniel Uhlfelder
@DWUhlfelderLaw
BREAKING: Florida has passed 300,000 cases of COVID-19 after reporting 10,181 new cases and 112 new resident deaths today

Daniel Uhlfelder
@DWUhlfelderLaw
Hospitalizations increase by at least 453 among residents, highest increase recorded yet. Positivity for the day is about 14%

Daniel Uhlfelder
@DWUhlfelderLaw
It took Florida 114 days to record its first 100,000 COVID-19 cases between March 1 and June 22. It took 13 days to record the second 100,000 and 10 days to reach the third.

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1283411485759279104

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know I'm interested in hearing from these vaccine producers about the 2-4 month immunity and their vaccine.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Covid-19: Cases Continue

Link Copied to Clipboard