Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Washington Post settles Nicholas Sandmann defamation lawsuit in Covington Catholic High School controversy

The Washington Post is the latest news organization to settle a defamation lawsuit launched by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann over its botched coverage of a viral confrontation with a Native American elder that had portrayed the Kentucky teen as the aggressor.

Sandmann announced the victory on Twitter.

"On 2/19/19, I filed $250M defamation lawsuit against Washington Post. Today, I turned 18 & WaPo settled my lawsuit. Thanks to @ToddMcMurtry & @LLinWood for their advocacy. Thanks to my family & millions of you who have stood your ground by supporting me. I still have more to do," Sandmann wrote on Friday.

This follows the multi-million dollar settlement CNN made with the teenager back in January.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington...ool-controversy

The wheels of Truth and Justice turn slowly but in the end they are served. thumbsup

A
Legend
Legend
A
Odd, isn't it? I remember the hate and vitriol posted by some about this. I remember how some took the msm message as gospel, and crucified this kid.

I remember the discussions on here clearly, and the posters that.........well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it is odd that you liked a post on another forum w/stats from the Washington Post, but now act like the Washington Post is full of crap.

Odd how personal biases jades ones views on articles and opinions, isn't it?

Legend
Legend
I'm curious what they settled for... the amount he asked for in his lawsuits is ridiculous...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I'm curious what they settled for... the amount he asked for in his lawsuits is ridiculous...

CNN coughed up a multi million dollar settlement and I would assume the WP did the same.

Sandmann offered a not-so-subtle warning to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

"We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack," Sandmann tweeted.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

CNN coughed up a multi million dollar settlement and I would assume the WP did the same.

Sandmann offered a not-so-subtle warning to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.

"We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack," Sandmann tweeted.

Maybe... only thing I ever read is it was likely settled for '7 figures'... so who knows... I still think the amount he asked for is ridiculous...

I don't agree with what the news medias did though... so hopefully this lawsuit will help keep them a little more honest...

<><

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Ridiculous? News media does that to me, you go for the jugular. Wished he put them out of business.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ridiculous? Not at all. This kid did nothing but stand and smile while wearing a hat. The media was calling for colleges and universities to deny his applications. They attempted to smear a 16yo kid and ruin his life, over a hat and a false story. I wish he wouldn't settle.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

Ridiculous? Not at all. This kid did nothing but stand and smile while wearing a hat. The media was calling for colleges and universities to deny his applications. They attempted to smear a 16yo kid and ruin his life, over a hat and a false story. I wish he wouldn't settle.

I get he should sue... but dude sued for a total of $800 million (all companies).... I mean seriously... kid thinks so highly of himself that poor news coverage cost him $800 million?!?

just seems ridiculous

<><

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, I think the amount was crazy, but keep in mind, lawyers were involved. Numbers always get jacked up.

I think, aside from the settlement he got - which we don't know how much - but the bigger issue is the post, and cnn, got their asses handed to them, or were afraid they would. That's why they settled.

Legend
Legend
I agree... which ultimately I think is a good thing...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I get he should sue... but dude sued for a total of $800 million (all companies).... I mean seriously... kid thinks so highly of himself that poor news coverage cost him $800 million?!?

just seems ridiculous

It keeps it from ever happening again.

Let's also not forget that members of the media were threatening this kid with violence, and urging others to do the same.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It keeps it from ever happening again.

Oh, I'm certain it'll happen again... but I do get your point.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Every day for what seemed like months they plastered this kids face as the symbol of racism and as the leader of the white supremest youth party ... this wasn’t just a story for a day or two .. he was the lead every hour on cnn for at least a week ... they covered it from every angle, painting sandman as the devil ...

It was relentless from multiple sources for days ... they made him the sole focus of the PC crowd on every social media platform possible which (thanks Clem ... wink ) .. of course led to who knows how many death threats Aimed at him, his family, his friends and the school admin’s ...

They made a 16 year old kid the devil and the face of racism without ever asking him a question or getting ANY FACTS other than a video ... they didn’t even mention the black Hebrews shouting racial slurs at the high school kids that were the reason Philips approached Sandman ... all because he was white ...

The amount is staggering .. and on some levels I agree with u ... but he was 16 and was wrongfully painted as the devil ... if it was your son do u think it would be “enough” ..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good. They made that kid to look like the devil. Maybe 20%, 25%
....never know, it was a strong case, maybe more, especially since it was a high school student they were dragging through the mud.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Good point... again, I'm curious what he settled for... I fully agree he deserves to win his lawsuit and take them for what he can... guess the $800 million initial lawsuits just seemed staggering.... of course that's probably the point

For him personally, I hope he has someone who can manage his new found wealth wisely.... and as I said before, i hope the news outlets will think twice about how they report the news...

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good point... again, I'm curious what he settled for... I fully agree he deserves to win his lawsuit and take them for what he can... guess the $800 million initial lawsuits just seemed staggering.... of course that's probably the point

For him personally, I hope he has someone who can manage his new found wealth wisely.... and as I said before, i hope the news outlets will think twice about how they report the news...

I thought it was $250 million, but whatever. I think his parents are fairly well off. They didn't just hire the first attorney group to knock to represent their son. They had an idea who was best going to advocate.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Those being sued.

Wanna see a list? Presto:

The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network, Inc. (CNN)
The Guardian
National Public Radio
TMZ
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Diocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera (CNN)
Sara Sidner (CNN)
Erin Burnett (CNN)
S.E. Cupp (CNN)
Elliot C. McLaughlin (CNN)
Amanda Watts (CNN)
Emanuella Grinberg (CNN)
Michelle Boorstein (Washington Post)
Cleve R. Wootson Jr. (Washington Post)
Antonio Olivo (Washington Post)
Joe Heim (Washington Post)
Michael E. Miller (Washington Post)
Eli Rosenberg (Washington Post)
Isaac Stanley-Becker (Washington Post)
Kristine Phillips (Washington Post)
Sarah Mervosh (New York Times)
Emily S. Rueb (New York Times)
Maggie Haberman (New York Times)
David Brooks (New York Times)
Shannon Doyne
Kurt Eichenwald
Andrea Mitchell (NBC/MSNBC)
Savannah Guthrie (NBC)
Joy Reid (MSNBC)
Chuck Todd (NBC)
Noah Berlatsky
Elisha Fieldstadt (NBC)
Eun Kyung Kim
HBO
Bill Maher (here)
Warner Media
Conde Nast
GQ
Heavy.com
The Hill
The Atlantic
Bustle.com
Ilhan Omar (here)
Elizabeth Warren (here and here)
Kathy Griffin (here)
Alyssa Milano (here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here)
Jim Carrey (here, here, and here)

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/2019...ahead-lawsuits/

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Fox News Pays $10 Million To Settle Racial, Gender Bias Suits

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/...nder-bias-suits

And there wasn't a peep from all of you "caring people".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Here's how FOX News handles it. They claim the people who watch their channel 'expect to be lied to'.

Fox News says viewers don't expect Tucker Carlson to report facts

A woman paid to keep quiet about her reported relationship with Donald Trump says Fox News host slandered her with ‘extortion’ claim

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...l-a9573436.html

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm waiting for Rocket's "whatabout-ism" post.

But I won't hold my breath.

#Triggered
#Snowflake

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
#whiner

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The kid acted like a smug little A-Hole..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
#whiner

rofl Whatever makes you feel good inside.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You have zero impact either way in how I feel. Just telling it like it is.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

$250 against The Post... but I believe his total lawsuites (against several news media) was estimated to be around $800 million)

I thought it was $250 million, but whatever. I think his parents are fairly well off. They didn't just hire the first attorney group to knock to represent their son. They had an idea who was best going to advocate.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
The kid acted like a smug little A-Hole..

Did you watch anything but what MSNBC showed of the incident? There's a reason he's winning the lawsuits.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

So let's see....

I live rent free inside the head of Vers, Eve, Memphis due to the perpetuality of call outs.

If I were to also go off of likes on posts from these three that call me out...I also live rent free in the head of Arch, Dave, tasty, and a few others.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And then they claim we are "a gang". It's frickin' hilarious!

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
#DEEPSTATE4LYFE

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

What's even funnier is that before the suits were filed all this kid and his attorneys were asking for was a public retraction and apology. the outlets couldn't even do that LOL

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Given that the lawsuit got entirely thrown out by a judge at first -- and then was allowed back in later (with a significantly refined scope) -- the settlement is probably peanuts.

We will of course, never know - and news outlets are free to report that the lawsuit itself was for $250M.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 07/28/20 05:38 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
From the article...

This follows the multi-million dollar settlement CNN made with the teenager back in January.

Happy that multi millions is peanuts to you. thumbsup

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Nobody has ever released what the CNN lawsuit was settled for either...

Here is the fox news story on that -- there is one lawyer who says he thinks it might be seven figures.

That is very different from it being seven figures.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-covington-nick-sandmann-settlement

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cnn-covington-settlement/

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 07/28/20 12:06 PM.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Perhaps.

But judging by the kids growing smirk, I would say he has the Left exactly where he wants them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Perhaps.

But judging by the kids growing smirk, I would say he has the Left exactly where he wants them.

Trading facts for smirks for relying on what's true now? Nice.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The FACT is the kid is smirking.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the real "fact" is that the media slandered him. I am not surprised that some people don't have an issue w/that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think the "real fact" is the kid is filling his pockets with Lib Cash while smirking at the lying Leftist Media and the Lynch mobs who jumped on the Lie and attacked him.

just sayin'

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think the real "fact" is that the media slandered him. I am not surprised that some people don't have an issue w/that.

WHO?

What happened was wrong and was poor "journalism" - in fact it wasn't journalism and the courts determined that. Who thinks it was okay to slander him? I saw some dumb comments here I don't agree with but nothing I took for endorsement of the attack this kid ended up enduring.

As for "facts" and 40 ... 40 claimed that CNN paid out 'multi-million' payment, but was corrected. His response implied or deflected that the kids smirk was proof enough.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Washington Post settles Nicholas Sandmann defamation lawsuit

Link Copied to Clipboard