Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
Greetings fellow Browns Fans.
My family owns a 500 acre farm in Trumbull county and my cousin invited me to hunt on it last year. I own several rifles, but not one that is legal in Ohio for deer season. My cousin loaned me his rifled barrel 20 gauge with optics and my one opportunity to get a shot off missed. I am now looking for a straight walled cartridge rifle to use and currently have my eye on a Mossberg Patriot bolt action 450 Bushmaster. The pickings are thin due to the run on firearms lately. Any advice is welcome concerning this weapon or any other firearm in this class. Thank you in advance.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
Prior to the fall of human civilization, I was building a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and had the Ruger American series on my list. They make a Go Wild Camo in 450. It's $120 more than the Patriot, but I've always preferred Ruger's. The Savage Arms 10/110 Haymaker looks great, and I've shot a few other SA at some demo days, but I don't know if going up to $670 is worth it for only a small jump in quality.

I'd suggest a Bergara HMR, very high quality, but those are way pricey. I think they're worth every penny though. It was leading my list for my own build.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Patriot Predator, but take a look at the American Go Wild.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I'm slightly partial to my Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 Gov't.

It's a nice, old school lever action and it's suitable for large game up to elk and moose at 250yds.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Never fired one of their rifles, but own one of their shotguuns. It is top quality. I don't see them putting out junk.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm slightly partial to my Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 Gov't.

It's a nice, old school lever action and it's suitable for large game up to elk and moose at 250yds.

Little outside my price range. All the reviews on the one I am looking at seem to be good, but you can never tell if those reviews come from actual owners.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
A
Legend
Legend
A
Just my experience with guns here. Get a quality gun. Shoot it, often. Use different ammo.

You will learn the gun, and the ammo.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .223. Good scope on it. I'll take out a woodchuck with 1 shot at 315 yards and in. Others have fired it, and can't hit a bulls eye at 200 yards, 250, or 100.

My deer gun - Bennelli Nova - 12 gauge pump. Straight factory. No scope, no rifled barrel, no nothing. 160 yd. kill shot is very comfortable for me.

Whatever you get, get familiar with it, and what it likes to eat (ammo wise).

Bought a S & W .22 - model 22A-1 a number of years back. Semi auto. Day 1, brand new, I had a terrible time shooting it. I was a little perturbed. It kept jamming. Did some research on line. Turns out the gun didn't like the remington .22's I was using. I bought Federal .22's, (an ammo I read it liked) - haven't had a jam/failure to eject in the last 12 plus years with it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Just my experience with guns here. Get a quality gun. Shoot it, often. Use different ammo.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .223. Good scope on it. I'll take out a woodchuck with 1 shot at 315 yards and in. Others have fired it, and can't hit a bulls eye at 200 yards, 250, or 100.

My deer gun - Bennelli Nova - 12 gauge pump. Straight factory. No scope, no rifled barrel, no nothing. 160 yd. kill shot is very comfortable for me.

Bought a S & W .22 - model 22A-1 a number of years back. Semi auto. Day 1, brand new, I had a terrible time shooting it. I was a little perturbed. It kept jamming. Did some research on line. Turns out the gun didn't like the remington .22's I was using. I bought Federal .22's, (an ammo I read it liked) - haven't had a jam/failure to eject in the last 12 plus years with it.

Quoted for Emphasis.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Very good advice arch.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Biden says your going to jail wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Biden says your going to jail wink
I'll the light on for when they want to come get me. I'm sure it will be a blast.

2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I have a number of firearms and I try to get out to the range as often as I can. I just put new optics on my Ruger AR-15 that needs to be sighted in. I went ahead and ordered the Patriot 450 and optics for it. Guess I can sight them both in when I go to the range. Thank you all for your input.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Straight Walled Cartridge Rifles

Link Copied to Clipboard