Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1787690 08/31/20 07:39 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We had some questions answered about the defense and 11 other Browns training camp takeaways

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/08...-takeaways.html

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If I’m being absolutely, 100 percent honest, I’m usually ready for this week of the football calendar, when we flip from training camp to a normal practice schedule and the team starts getting into game mode. There comes a point in every camp where you’ve seen everything you need to see, especially with preseason games playing on top of it.

This year, as with everything else, is completely different. The Browns had 14 practices scheduled for open viewing by the media, including Sunday’s practice at FirstEnergy Stadium. In the end, we saw 12, losing one practice to the false positive COVID-19 tests and another when the Browns had to move indoors, an already small space made smaller when they moved the weight room into their fieldhouse to better socially distance inside the facility.

This was a camp unlike any I’ve covered. The free reign to roam the perimeter of the practice fields to watch what you wanted was gone. We talked to players and coaches on Zoom instead of in-person. There were no fans, save for a few who tried to get a glimpse between the fence posts before security chased them away. Everyone was trying to do the best they could given the circumstances. (And, yes, in the end, it’s still covering football, so no one’s complaining.)

Browns training camp 2020 will be memorable. Every day we brought you observations from practice. To wrap it all up, here are 12 takeaways from the whole thing:

1. We learned enough about the linebackers

We won’t know what this linebacking corps will truly be until they start playing real football games -- and, oh boy, will they get tested early going against Lamar Jackson and Baltimore -- but we at least have some clarity on who will play.

B.J. Goodson appears to have the middle locked down. Sione Takitaki has been solidly with the first team. The only question is what they will do to replace Mack Wilson. Rookie Jacob Phillips is an option. So is Tae Davis. The third linebacker isn’t as important in the modern NFL as it used to be, but we’ll keep an eye on what they do there when the season starts.

2. There’s depth at cornerback

It’s safe to feel OK about the depth in the secondary, especially since we’ve seen it tested and it has held up. Kevin Johnson lacerated his liver and M.J. Stewart stepped up -- at least until he hurt his hamstring. Greedy Williams hurt his shoulder and Terrance Mitchell played well in his place. There were even unexpected performances, like Donovan Olumba, a big corner who had an opportunity to step in and make plays. There are thin positions on the defense, but cornerback doesn’t appear to be one of them.

3. Adrian Clayborn was an important addition

I don’t know what Clayborn will bring on the field this season. It certainly seems he has something left in the tank. He had the third-highest pass rush grade on Atlanta last season, according to Pro Football Focus, and had the most pressures and hurries despite playing only 439 snaps. It’s why he was such an underrated signing to begin with.

On top of production, having a veteran presence is always important. The defensive line already has Olivier Vernon and Sheldon Richardson -- and Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi are both four years in -- but Clayborn, at 32 years old with a Super Bowl ring, adds to the room in more ways than just on the field.

There were a few times after practice where Clayborn took Porter Gustin, who rose up the ranks to play in place of Garrett when he wasn’t practicing, off to the side and spent time working alongside him on one of the dummies. Veterans matter, and veterans going that extra mile really matters.

(This is also where Vernon gets credit for getting spotted working with Jedrick Wills after practice.)

4. The same goes for Malcolm Smith

For many of the same reasons, Smith was a nice addition. He doesn’t have the recent production of Clayborn, but the linebacker room is young and they lost Christian Kirksey and Joe Schobert, two veteran leaders. Bringing a player like Smith, who has won and played on elite defenses, into your building is a good thing.

5. KhaDarel Hodge is a name to know

We spend so much time talking about third receiver, but the presence of Kareem Hunt and the system Kevin Stefanski is installing makes it seem somewhat of a moot point. Hodge is a guy who hit the ground running in camp and kept it up after leaving for a few days for personal reasons. Rashard Higgins always feels like the easy answer, but it’s worth noting how long the Browns waited to bring him back and how much they’re paying him. It would be surprising if he didn’t make the roster, but writing him in pen as the third receiver doesn’t seem guaranteed. It’s a little bit of track record vs. upside.

Hodge had just four catches last season, but three of them were for first downs and were ten yards or more, including a 41-yarder against Pittsburgh.

6. Will kicker be a problem?

There was no kicking competition this year and Austin Seibert had some good days. It was also a little concerning to see Seibert, after making seven in a row in a kicking drill, miss wide into the Dawg Pound end on Sunday and then miss on end-of-game scenarios into the same end.

Seibert’s season could realistically go either way. He could lock in and develop into a reliable kicker or he could struggle and leave the Browns looking for a replacement. The one thing you don’t want, especially if you believe you have a chance to grab one of the seven playoff spots this year, is have your kicking game cost you wins.

7. There are still questions at safety

Talk about a high-ceiling/low-floor position. The Browns are counting heavily on Karl Joseph, a former first-round pick the Raiders let walk, and Andrew Sendejo, a veteran who graded out fine last year, at least on PFF, despite bouncing between Minnesota and Philadelphia.

The loss of Grant Delpit is killer (obviously). Safety was one of the positions the Browns left somewhat open in free agency and used a high draft pick to fill it. There’s a lot of pressure on Sheldrick Redwine now and we don’t know much about the type of player he is. He’ll get a chance to show us. He could be the key to this thing working without Delpit.

8. Curtis Weaver is intriguing

The Browns claimed Weaver, a fifth-round pick, from Miami and placed him on injured reserve with a foot injury, the ultimate player stash.

Weaver won Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2019 and holds the conference record for career sacks.

PFF ranked Weaver as their No. 26 overall prospect in the entire draft last season, even while questioning his athleticism. The grading website ranked Browns third-round pick Jordan Elliott as its No. 23 overall prospect.

Elsewhere, Weaver was ranked as the seventh-best edge rusher in the draft by The Athletic’s Dane Brugler and his No. 65 overall prospect, ahead of Elliott.

So this is a really interesting, low-risk stash.

9. The focus was on the top

Normally you get a few good third and even fourth-string reps in training camp -- a Garrett Gilbert series or two each day. The practices we watched focused heavily on the top two groups, which makes sense because the Browns are trying to gain clarity on their roster but also get guys ready to play a real football game on September 13. So we didn’t see many Gilbert or Kevin Davidson-led drives.

10. On the offensive line

The good news: I never even noticed Wyatt Teller. Of course, we didn’t have great sight lines, especially to see how interior lineman were playing, but it didn’t seem like Teller was ever an issue at right guard. We’ll have a better view when the games start, but not noticing a guard is a compliment -- unless he’s doing somersaults.

The potential of not having Tretter for the opener -- and, if that’s the case, likely for the home opener four days later -- is worrisome. It’s nothing against Nick Harris, it’s just Tretter is a perfect fit for this offense, a veteran you don’t need to even think about regarding his center duties and one of the guys you could just write in pen to be out there and be reliable, especially facing an AFC championship contender right out of the gate.

11. The COVID-19 progress

You always write and say this cautiously, but the NFL has to be thrilled with how the last month has gone. Reserve/COVID-19 lists have dwindled. The individual bubbles appear to be working. The worst thing to happen so far is the batch of false positives.

If sports has taught us anything about the virus, it’s the effectiveness of testing, masking, isolating and contact-tracing and attempting to limit contact to people whose behaviors you trust match yours.

The next hurdles are fighting complacency and moving the bubbles. Regarding the latter, the NFL has an advantage over Major League Baseball since teams generally travel later in the day Saturday and go directly from the stadium to the airport on Sundays to fly home right after the game.

12. Bold prediction

Just kidding. I’m going to wait as long as I can to make a prediction on the season. I’m still stinging from 10-6 last year. Stay tuned.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It sure would be nice if Goodson can turn out to be sufficient

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

R
Legend
Legend
R
He may be the best tight end on the roster.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think he's better than Hooper at this point, but excited to see how he develops as time goes on. I think he's got a high ceiling.

Legend
Legend
He hasn't officially even made the roster, yet, much less played a game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It was a bit of hyperbole but watching him in camp has been impressive.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
He hasn't officially even made the roster, yet, much less played a game.

This.

Seems like there is always some mid-low round pick who gets people excited during TC. Not saying he won't amount to anything or that there is 0 chance of him being really good. But he lasted in the draft for a few rounds.

I remember Scooby Wright and how he could maybe be DROY.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns get good news about LB Mack Wilson's knee injury
Sep 01, 2020 at 02:04 PM
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-get-good-news-about-lb-mack-wilson-s-knee-injury

Kevin Stefanski finally got some of the good news he covets whenever he meets with Senior VP of Player Health and Development Joe Sheehan.

It was in one of their more recent conversations Stefanski learned LB Mack Wilson, who has been sidelined with a knee injury since the first few days of camp, would not require surgery.

Without providing a timetable, Stefanski called it a "good development" for Wilson, who was poised to play a big role on the defense after starting 14 games as a rookie.

"I think with all of our guys, you hate to see them go out and then you hope that it is always good news, when they do go out and Joe sidles over to me and whispers in my ear," Stefanski said before Tuesday's practice. "I always hope it is good news."

This certainly qualifies.

Wilson, a former fifth-round pick out of Alabama, took over for Christian Kirksey when the veteran was lost for the year just two games into the 2019 season. Wilson played nearly every snap the rest of the way and finished with 82 tackles, an interception, a sack and a forced fumble.

Wilson has been outspoken about his confidence in the team's linebacking corps, which is among the youngest and least experienced in the league. Now, he's poised to be able to play a role within it at some point this season.

*Stefanski said DE Myles Garrett (wrist) and CB Greedy Williams (shoulder) are "truly day to day" as they continue to recover from their respective injuries.

Garrett did not participate in Sunday's practice at FirstEnergy Stadium out of an abundance of caution. Williams hasn't practiced since he suffered his injury at an Aug. 24 practice.

***Joel Bitonio said JC Tretter remains engaged with the team and prepared to play in the season opener despite not being able to practice since the start of camp.

"Mentally he has been in every meeting," Bitonio said. "He is watching practice on his iPad and he is getting focused and ready to roll. I know mentally he is going to be ready to play if he is ready to go physically."

Tretter underwent knee surgery just before the start of training camp. Fifth-round rookie Nick Harris has taken every snap with the first-team offense in his place.

Asked if Tretter could be back on the field sometime this week at practice, Stefanski said, "we'll see."

"l would say he is progressing," Stefanski said. "I think we really want to use every single one of these days to our advantage. I think the prudent thing would be to wait until next week to really check in to say whether he is going to make it to that first game or not. I am really worried about him today, more so than next week."

*After reviewing the film of Sunday's practice at FirstEnergy Stadium, which featured a scrimmage for the second half of it, Stefanski came away pleased by his team's discipline on both sides of the ball.

"I think we played mostly penalty-free on either side, which was good to see," Stefanski said.

"We have been really harping on that a lot without having the [preseason] games and without having officials right now. That is something that I thought was good.

"Like every practice, there are so many things that we can get better at. I thought putting them through some of the situational things was good so that we can talk through some of our adjustments and some of the substitution things that happen in the course of a game. All of that was really good work, and I think we will kind of double-down on that this Friday at the stadium, as well."

The Browns practice Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Berea before returning to FirstEnergy Stadium on Friday for a practice under the lights.

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Seems like there is always some mid-low round pick who gets people excited during TC.

I remember Scooby Wright and how he could maybe be DROY.

Scooby Wright!

Josh Lenz was a training camp legend.

Legend
Legend
Which roster is that? Did we finalize it already? I know this year is different, but this surprised me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thank god for that .. rish will be very happy ... *L* ..

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Thank god for that .. rish will be very happy ... *L* ..

Music to my ears.

R
Legend
Legend
R
And it's going to be live on top of that.

My hope, and I'm sure the board's hope, is I am praising Baker for more often than criticizing him.

Baker is the key to everything and will ultimately determine if the team is a success or failure this year.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Is Ogunjobi hurt?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Is Ogunjobi hurt?

They said they gave him the practice off.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's being streamed on youtube. Just search Cleveland Browns.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't care enough to watch it, but thanks for the info.

I was wondering if he was hurt or benched. I didn't realize it was for just today.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't know why I'm watching. No live tackling. Going through the motions.

This is dumb.

All this "teaching" should help the team beat Baltimore week 1.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
It's being streamed on youtube. Just search Cleveland Browns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX85bsvyrKA

I only checked it because Dustin Fox was on the radio saying how good the new uni's look. He was right, they look great.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

Not sure why, but those comments made me burst out laughing. It's so right-on when describing us Brown's fans. Funny/sad/ironic/gallows humor/self-loathing/loyal...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Honestly, it appears the first time these guys are going to tackle is week 1 so they can protect each other. Does that make any sense? Going against a powerhouse with Super Bowl aspirations. Game will be 24-0 by the half.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I've never seen a more cream puff training camp before under any other regime.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Honestly, it appears the first time these guys are going to tackle is week 1 so they can protect each other. Does that make any sense? Going against a powerhouse with Super Bowl aspirations. Game will be 24-0 by the half.

It probably doesn't matter. Teams with rough training camps play well and teams with easy training camps play well.

We will lose to Baltimore because they are way better than us, not because of anything that occurred during camp.

R
Legend
Legend
R
And then you have the Browns, who never play well. LOL

C
Legend
Legend
C
And then you have the Browns, who never play well. LOL

We have had both kind of camps and have always sucked. Clearly we should just skip training camp.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm all for it. We don't appear to be doing anything anyway.

At the end of this session, Stefanski should bring all the guys together and say "you guys put in some good work against air today...see you on September 13, enjoy your time off!"

R
Legend
Legend
R
They're playing 2 hand touch now. LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
Honest question: Are all the other training camps the same as the Browns this year due to the Covid circumstances?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm not sure. I'm just complaining. This team needs a ton of work. Baker needs a ton of work.

I saw Baker run maybe 3 plays against air today. Keenum and Gilbert seemed to get the majority of the reps. And practice is over. Maybe our plan is to surprise the Ravens and start our third string.

They'll never see it coming.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........

I will say that as a former player/coach that I do have some thoughts on practice habits and the amount of contact. I'm almost 100 percent positive on the habits part, but the amount of physical contact is debatable.

I've always wanted to start a thread about it, but it's probably not sensational enough to get a lot of feedback.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kevin Stefanski said Joel Bitonio, Larry Ogunjobi, Andy Janovich and Andrew Sendejo are fine, he just gave them tonight off

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kevin Stefanski says he’ll announce who will be calling offensive plays before the Baltimore game. Either will be Kevin or OC Alex Van Pelt.

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Kevin Stefanski says he’ll announce who will be calling offensive plays before the Baltimore game. Either will be Kevin or OC Alex Van Pelt.

Hasn’t AVP been calling plays all training camp?

V
Legend
Legend
V

Okay, that's funny. rofl

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kevin Stefanski said he radioed plays into QBs tonight but still not ready to say who'll call plays in season. Promised to let us know before Sept. 13 in Baltimore.

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Kevin Stefanski said he radioed plays into QBs tonight but still not ready to say who'll call plays in season. Promised to let us know before Sept. 13 in Baltimore.

Well that’s dumb. Whoever is going to call plays should have been calling plays all along.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Training Camp

Link Copied to Clipboard