Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
USA Today link

I cannot say that I am surprised. What did surprise me was that Trump even talked to him....

Play it Down.... the virus... we all saw it, now it is known.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think anybody is going to care.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I care. He's a horrible person. Who in their right mind would want him for POTUS.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
This certainly seems very bad for Trump - to say he was basically lying in February (and knew this was going to be very bad) -- especially given public statements that "this is just like the flu" which persisted for more than a month after he tells Woodward ("this is much worse than the flu, but I need to play it down") -- that's dereliction of duty on behalf of a president.

At the same time -- how does Woodward ethically justify sitting on this information for 6 months (in order to write a book?). It's not like "I heard from an ex-aide to the President that he is trying to play this down" -- this is the PRESIDENT HIMSELF. ON TAPE.

I don't know if this information would have meaningfully changed the debate back in March. But Woodward doesn't either -- and the potential that this would have drastically changed compliance with shutdown orders at a time when real people are dying? That's a bit messed up.

Also, I know some conservatives on this thread are going to latch onto my Woodward Criticism -- so I'm going to repeat that Woodward sitting on this isn't an "answer" to what Trump said. He is still on tape saying that he lied to the American people about a crisis.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 09/10/20 06:18 AM.

~Lyuokdea
O
Legend
Legend
O
Bob Woodward dismisses claims he could have saved lives if he had published Trump's COVID-19 comments earlier because he didn't know where the president was 'getting his information' and if it was true

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ks-earlier.html

There's his answer, but I think he should have published earlier.

Legend
Legend
I saw this on the news last night. It’ll be interesting to see if, at all, this affects anything.

It’s tough to be a leader in any time, let alone a national crisis. You don’t want to cause panic, but you shouldn’t lie or mislead either.

I’m not a huge Trump fan (or Biden fan), though I don’t see this as a huge deal myself.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

TL..if you might be a Russian, they might not care about Trumps lies..and that might go a long way toward understanding those who don't give a damn that Trump is now "a proven liar".

Concerning Trump's lies about COVID..we are now approaching 192K COVID deaths in the U.S. and I know there are people from our church who have lost loved ones to COVID...I suppose they might care about Trump's lies and the fact that Trump downplayed the COVID risk from the beginning.

While Russians would not care, many Americans will and do care...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

Shut up! What a terrible thing to say. A new low. There are over 100,000 US families still mourning their dead relatives. They care.

Pffft trump supporters won’t care.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Shut up! What a terrible thing to say. A new low. There are over 100,000 US families still mourning their dead relatives. They care.

Pffft trump supporters won’t care.

He is entitled to his opinion, as misguided as it may be. Trump's base probably won't be moved to any extent, but for those voters 'sitting on the fence', it should help them in their choice in November...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Still a horrible thing to say. And IMO...nobody is sitting on the fence at this point.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Still a horrible thing to say. And IMO...nobody is sitting on the fence at this point.

You're right! There is more than sufficient evidence that everyone should have their minds made up by now...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

Normally I don't come to this forum. On this topic I feel a need.

This is not an accusation from a political opponent. This is trump's own words on tape.

If a hurricane was coming and the National Weather Service was fully aware and didn't inform the public in it's path. And you lost your family and home as a result.

Would you want to know why you were not informed? Would you be satisfied with an answer that "they didn't want to spread panic?"

This is appalling. If trump had a patriotic bone in his body; He should resign from office.

I hope the families who lost loved ones file civil suits against him.

Never in the history of the United States has any president been so negligent in his duty to protect the citizens of this country.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Your post reminds me of the time when Trump used a sharpie to revise a hurricane map -- so that it wouldn't look like he made a mistake.

It was treated as a joke about his vanity. But that was a move that also could have cost lives.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
trumps actions on the virus are based on getting reelected. Not the health and safety and lives of american people. trumps actions have killed US citizens.

Joe Thomas #73
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting timing.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
This certainly seems very bad for Trump - to say he was basically lying in February (and knew this was going to be very bad) -- especially given public statements that "this is just like the flu" which persisted for more than a month after he tells Woodward ("this is much worse than the flu, but I need to play it down")

I think anybody with half a brain knew what he was doing. This isn't a revelation. He lied just about every step of the way during this Pandemic.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
That’s your takeaway?!
The timing?
Not the words?

Man... you’ve truly gone to the dark side dude.

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tricky situation for sure. On one hand I agree with him, that he can't show fear and publicly panic. I also think that if he did and he locked down the country the left would cry "FASCISM!"

On the other hand he had a direct affect on the anti mask, go out in public MAGA community.

There is something in between, but I don't think anyone could have handled this perfectly in country of our size.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The thing that kills me is apparently there are people who actually listened to Trump for guidance in dealing w/the virus. LOL..............who is dumb enough to listen to any politician for guidance for such an important decision?

I didn't listen to Trump. I did not listen to the governor of SC. I did not listen to any politician. I researched the topic and listened to the experts. And we can go back to all the old threads and see that I recognized that this virus was going to be a huge problem while others were still making jokes about it.

But, it doesn't surprise me that the left is yet again making this a political talking point.

O
Legend
Legend
O
What I can't wrap my brain around is how this information was just given to Woodward. Trumps own words.... Did he not even realize the poopstorm he was setting up for himself? The guy is on Twitter all day and night talking about how all these hoaxes are out to get him and then sits down and says all that?

I know that in the grand scheme of things what I just laid out isn't that important... but I just don't think my brain can tackle anything else until I can get past this.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The thing that kills me is apparently there are people who actually listened to Trump for guidance in dealing w/the virus. LOL..............who is dumb enough to listen to any politician for guidance for such an important decision?

That is the problem, many of his followers listen to his advice like dont worry about masks ( I dont ), liberate! This has killed US citizens, still is by causing outbreaks.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

Trump's a horrible person. Biden will likely have horrible policies.

It's two awful choices. I hate that Biden's entire public campaign seems to be I'm not Trump and to paint Trump in as bad a light as possible.

People know Trump is horrible. Who is Biden?

He's not Trump and that's enough seems to be the consensus on the left. To me, it mirrors the lousy thinking that got Trump elected-He's not a Washington insider and that's enough.

I'm sick of these "who sucks less" choices.

I don't understand how people expect change when we constantly settle for underwhelming at best options.

If people really want change, demand better options.

With regards to the book,
Trump's a spiteful, incompetent idiot, but I can kind of understand trying to downplay the virus. The personal human cost side is horrible, for sure, and more could have been done, but downplaying it to dampen the impact to the economy/stock market isn't entirely without merit. Definitely wish that Trump could have done a better job with the human side. But then, he's Trump.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Question is why did he down play it? Was it for the economy or for his re election? I assume the latter.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:
Trump's a horrible person. Biden will likely have horrible policies.

It's two awful choices. I hate that Biden's entire public campaign seems to be I'm not Trump and to paint Trump in as bad a light as possible.

It may not be fun to watch, but Biden is doing this the right way.

He is very conservative by the the standards of the current Democratic party (discounting Gabbard (who is not a Democrat), he is easily the most conservative democratic nominee who ran in the primary).

I think that he really believes that he can "tie the nation back together" and unite centrists from both parties in a "return to normalcy" or something like that.

But that's not what the average Democratic voter (who is far to the left of Biden), really wants. So it's hard to push that as an election narrative, and it risks ostracizing Bernie/Warren supporters, who need to show up if he is going to win.

OTOH, if this election just becomes a "do you like Trump or not" - then he is in a very good standing, because Trump is not particularly popular. That allows him to be a centrist when he needs to be -- to be a true Democrat when he needs to be.

It's a good message -- but it hasn't always been successful. The Democrats failed with this message in 2004 (John Kerry) - but then again, Bush in 2004 was more popular than Trump is now.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Was it for the economy or for his re election? I assume the latter.

Those choices aren't mutually exclusive. He was obviously in way over his head with the COVID problem and tried to lie and minimize his way thru it. A strong economy might be the only thing to divert focus from his bumbling with the pandemic and go a long way toward getting him re-elected.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Interesting timing.

Interesting? The timing is based on when Trump decided to be interviewed....

It's not really unusual for somebody to do interviews - write a book, and then release the interviews when the book comes out.

It's not really unusual for a book to come out six months after the interviews (It is very fast, actually, but Woodward is very experienced and has a huge editing team, I'm sure).

Of course there is an economic incentive for Woodward to have this out before the election. But presumably that was known before Trump agreed to sit down for an interview.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To all these interesting timing comments. How about trump suggesting a vaccine may come out before election time?

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea

It may not be fun to watch, but Biden is doing this the right way.

It appears we have a fundamentally different view of the word "right."

Attacking someone else's faults is a rather lousy way of leading imo.

Bringing people together by attacking his opponent would appear to be almost oxymoronic.

Can he win with this strategy? Maybe, perhaps even probably. But, it might be polarizing the sides even more, which seems to me to be a big part of many of our country's problems.

Mudslinging being accepted and even cheered for isn't a good development in my mind. The ends justifying the means type thinking leads to all kinds of despicable things, and this sort of thinking is becoming more and more normalized and pervasive.

Edit: Trump does it, too. I don't like it either. Don't be like Trump.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/10/20 11:28 AM.

Fiercely Independent.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I agree with you - I wish we lived in a society where we could actually have an informative debate with an exchange of ideas.

I wish we lived in a society where - say - Elizabeth Warren's debate technique worked (regardless of whether or not you agree with her, she is one of the few politicians today who really debates facts and ideas.)..

We don't.

And this election isn't about policies or ideas -- it is about having a leader who is fundamentally fit to lead. Biden wouldn't have been my choice - but he is light years ahead of Trump in this regard. That is a point worth making.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 09/10/20 11:55 AM.

~Lyuokdea
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Mudslinging being accepted and even cheered for isn't a good development in my mind. The ends justifying the means type thinking leads to all kinds of despicable things, and this sort of thinking is becoming more and more normalized and pervasive.

I don't think it is wrong to point out key failures of your opponents governance. Trump really did mismanage Covid-19 -- and that is something worth pointing out.

We should not make up lies to scare voters about our oponents "If Trump wins there will be no more abortion" or "Biden is going to take away all our guns" -- are both fearmongering more than they correspond to actual facts.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Lyuokdea
I agree with you - I wish we lived in a society where we could actually have an informative debate with an exchange of ideas.

I wish we lived in a society where - say - Elizabeth Warren's debate technique worked (regardless of whether or not you agree with her, she is one of the few politicians today who really debates facts and ideas.)..

We don't.

And this election isn't about policies or ideas -- it is about having a leader who is fundamentally fit to lead. Biden wouldn't have been my choice - but he is light years ahead of Trump in this regard. That is a point worth making.

Does being more fit to lead than Trump really make someone fit to lead?

It's just frustrating that this is where we're at. Seeing career politician Joe Biden championed as some great agent of change, when I'm not sure he could change a flat tire, is depressing.

How do we get to a point where we can exchange ideas? I don't see current events leading in that direction or even giving any hope that anyone in politics is really even trying to move things that way.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P

People know Trump is horrible. Who is Biden?

He's not Trump and that's enough seems to be the consensus on the left. To me, it mirrors the lousy thinking that got Trump elected-He's not a Washington insider and that's enough.

Actually that's not accurate. Biden has a platform and a web site detailing that platform if anyone actually cares enough to look.

Quote:
I'm sick of these "who sucks less" choices.

I certainly agree with you and I'm not a huge fan of either candidate. But in this case, it's not your typical, "who sucks less". We have a president that does everything within his power to divide our nation. We are at critical mass and in this situation we find ourselves in, "who sucks less" is a pretty big deal.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Does being more fit to lead than Trump really make someone fit to lead?

It means that you vote for Biden when you have a binary choice.

~Lyuokdea
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone arguing that sitting on this information for 6 months until the election nears isn't a partisan play is delusional.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Anyone that thinks it matters to the content of what was said is also delusional... and deflecting.

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What are you even talking about?

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted By: BpG
Anyone arguing that sitting on this information for 6 months until the election nears isn't a partisan play is delusional.

I would guess it has less to do with partisanship, and more to do with selling a book (John Bolton did the same thing).

But I don't think it was ethical (see my earlier post).

It also doesn't subtract from what Trump said, on tape, at the time.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG

Boo hoo ...Rent buy support a clown ......expect a circus.

– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
Always a pleasure to listen to the voice of the left.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Bob Woodward New Book - Rage

Link Copied to Clipboard