Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Link

Quote:

An analysis recently published in the British Medical Journal argues for increased implementation of "food is medicine" interventions in the health care system. The article was co-authored by Seth A. Berkowitz, MD, MPH, assistant professor of medicine at the UNC School of Medicine, who mostly recently argued in the New England Journal of Medicine that food insecurity is known to be a health equity issue that disproportionately affects racial/ethnic minorities and those with lower incomes and rural communities. Thus, food insecurity is now playing a big role in the COVID-19 pandemic and associated health outcomes.

Berkowitz has conducted a number of studies on health-related social needs and their effect on health outcomes, published in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Sarah Downer, JD, from the Center for Health Law and Policy Innovation at Harvard Law School is the first author of the BMJ study, along with Timothy Harlan, MD, at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Dana Lee Olstad, Ph.D., at the Cumming School of Medicine at University of Calgary, and Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, MPH, DrPH, from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.

The world is facing an epidemic of diet-related chronic diseases with one in five deaths attributed to a suboptimal diet, more than any other risk factor including tobacco, according to the authors. An emerging body of research suggests that nutrition interventions delivered in the health care system may be associated with improved outcomes.

"Food is medicine" is an initiative around integrating specific food and nutrition interventions in, or closely coordinated with, the health care system. These interventions include medically tailored meals, medically tailored groceries, and produce prescriptions. According to the authors, clinicians should be knowledgeable enough to recognize a patient's nutritional needs and understand the impact of available services. However, this is not the case in many countries, including the United States.

"Nutrition training delivered across disciplines holds the promise of more effective patient nutrition education and treatment," the authors write. "Clinicians should have familiarity with validated nutrition assessment tools, the range of availability food is medicine interventions, and the systems and incentive structures that enable and encourage their use in clinical practice."

The benefits of the approach include offering patients greater ability to follow dietary recommendations and alleviating budget constraints that might prevent them from affording medications or paying bills. They also suggest that with these interventions, clinicians might see better disease management and fewer hospital admissions.

"As health care systems continue to evolve to tackle the global crisis of nutrition related diseases, food is medicine interventions should be held to rigorous standards when decisions about implementation, coverage, and care are made," the authors write. "Food as medicine can no longer be excluded as outside or ancillary to health care delivery."

"Insurance"/Medicare for All/etc covering healthy food as preventative treatment is an interesting extension of this idea in my mind. I'd be a lot more on board with taxes going towards better food systems to prevent disease than largely going towards pharmaceutical companies after people have diseases.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Who would control this system? It better not be the government.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Legend
Legend
T
This is old news, the Republicans have warned us of this since the Obama care bill of 2012, that this kind of thing would be coming.

We already know politicians punish the masses, so, starvation as a motivator for the masses to get in lock step, seems like a thing.

History shows this is a thing, using "healthcare" as the label is the only thing new. It's why we have to fight the power.

There are people in politics, or the elite media, the ones who think they are better than everybody else, and historically, we know, if some of these type people are not stopped, they would likely subdue multitudes of people for the lust for Power!
And keeping food from others, to cause malnutrition and threat of starvation, it is done all around the world.

The democrats are the ones that nationalized healthcare, in 2012, 1/3rd of the US economy. They are just getting started, If, someone else decides whether you can get healthcare, then soon the powerful, with a lust for more, would seek to decide whether you can eat!

And if they can control whether you can eat, you pretty much don't have any freedom or liberty at that point.

The problem is, they'll think, they are doing the right thing, because, science and for your own good, and,
Hey check out North Korea. Sickening!

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

The current government? I'd agree. A better government willing to do such a thing? One can dream, right?

Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
My, ' Reaction to the thread title post' doesn't even begin to address my reaction to the article thoughts.

Sure it seems like a cool thing,

Just like "recycling" seems cool, until it is forced upon you.

So, in theory we have a bunch of people forced to eat salads and tomatoes instead of oreos and what not, by the ever increasing power hungy elite.

Seems like a good idea, until you have Dr OZ, actually named Mahmuat
Dr. Mahmuat, telling you you have to eat bugs.

Power hungry bad guys, telling you what to do, it always comes back to that, no matter how they try to disguise it.
I think the everyday person is fine deciding what to eat, for themselves!
Because, Freedom!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

Even if it were NOT the Government it could still BE the government, using a different name.

What do you really think we have when we deal with companies like

Wal-Mart, or Home depot, or Name an insurance company, or name a Health Maintenance Organization, and, schools?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
This is old news, the Republicans have warned us of this since the Obama care bill of 2012, that this kind of thing would be coming.

We already know politicians punish the masses, so, starvation as a motivator for the masses to get in lock step, seems like a thing.

History shows this is a thing, using "healthcare" as the label is the only thing new. It's why we have to fight the power.

There are people in politics, or the elite media, the ones who think they are better than everybody else, and historically, we know, if some of these type people are not stopped, they would likely subdue multitudes of people for the lust for Power!
And keeping food from others, to cause malnutrition and threat of starvation, it is done all around the world.

The democrats are the ones that nationalized healthcare, in 2012, 1/3rd of the US economy. They are just getting started, If, someone else decides whether you can get healthcare, then soon the powerful, with a lust for more, would seek to decide whether you can eat!

And if they can control whether you can eat, you pretty much don't have any freedom or liberty at that point.

The problem is, they'll think, they are doing the right thing, because, science and for your own good, and,
Hey check out North Korea. Sickening!

I look at it the complete opposite.

We already have it where many people can't afford healthy food due to redlining, food deserts, unfair wages, mass production of horribly unhealthy "foods", etc.

Giving more people access to healthy food is the idea.

"Republicans" like to scare people while quietly doing what they are scaring people with behind the scenes.

I'm not sure where you come up with this nefarious withholding/starving mess. Well, I can probably guess (one of your "Republican warnings?")

Fiercely Independent.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Sure, and then some Republicans struggle to eat also.

It "seems" like a good idea, to end food deserts, and it is, but the end of the road when you go down it,

We still need People making the choice of what they eat, we don't need evildoers saying you can't eat because they don't like the ingredients.

It comes back to the scariest thing about your post.
YOu said "horribly unhealthy foods" Now...

Eventually, when some bad guy, in a lab coat, says that everything in the world is "horribly unhealthy foods",
except what is inside his delightful can of Soylent Green,
at that point we start to see the real motive.

Sure, Give Everybody all the food, Just don't cry to me when they take away your dorito's.

I'm the one saying 13 years ago, they'd take your kids away after they took away your freedom of travel.

And Today, they have a 14 day quarantine on interstate travel that changes day by day,
and a Democrat candidate that wants to demolish the nuclear family structure.

It's all conspiracy, until it isn't.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree with your above post. The thing is I believe we pretty much agree that with all of the lobbyist money, power and influence from big pharma, trying to actually make sure Americans have a healthy diet would create a huge backlash from them.

Diet is they key to some of the greatest health issues our nation faces including the ability to lessen the symptoms of covid. In the long run it would be one of the best investments we could make as a nation.

Those are the very same reasons it will never happen.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I agree getting our food system fixed at the government level is probably a pipe dream. If it's going to get done, it'll likely happen at the grassroots level.

Looking at nutrient levels during doctor's visits and prescribing foods still kind of sounds like a good idea, too. Not sure how healthcare laws are set up, but could perhaps work out local partnerships here also.

Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
blah blah blah blah conspiracy crapola blah blah

banghead

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Researchers argue health care systems should use 'food as medicine' interventions

Link Copied to Clipboard