Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Swish #1791860 09/13/20 10:38 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

maybe its just me, but every other game I watch, every other team, just seems "faster". The players seem faster, they seem ready, they run better routes, have been gameplans, have better decision making, etc etc. We just always seem like we are playing at a level that of the CFL and not the NFL. JMO.

Swish #1791861 09/13/20 10:39 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
why does it feel like Baker regressed?

Bull_Dawg #1791862 09/13/20 10:40 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Poor, poor Baker.

Whatever, I can see talking about the game/team is over. Have fun.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

maybe its just me, but every other game I watch, every other team, just seems "faster". The players seem faster, they seem ready, they run better routes, have been gameplans, have better decision making, etc etc. We just always seem like we are playing at a level that of the CFL and not the NFL. JMO.

Maybe because we hire first time head coaches that have no idea what they are doing.

Rishuz #1791864 09/13/20 10:41 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
In hindsight we should have hired Gregg Williams.

Rishuz #1791865 09/13/20 10:43 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
J/C

Maybe because we hire first time head coaches that have no idea what they are doing.

Okay, maybe we can back to football instead of the agenda BS.

I think you are right. We constantly fire FO people. We fire HCs. They bring in their own staffs. There is a constant upheaval of rosters. We make changes everywhere. We never establish anything. Constant upheaval puts us behind the pack. It's not hard to see and it sure as hell makes a lot more sense than putting all the blame on a WR.

Rishuz #1791867 09/13/20 10:47 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
In hindsight we should have hired Gregg Williams.

I am not saying I am correct, but I would have hired Josh McDaniels.

R
Legend
Legend
R
No one is putting all of the blame on OBJ.

And no one thinks Baker played well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Poor, poor Baker.

Whatever, I can see talking about the game/team is over. Have fun.

I thought saying we didn't have an alpha on offense was a knock on Baker. I guess you didn't read it that way.

I'm trying to talk about/figure out why those two don't seem to work together.

The Poor, poor OBJ approach doesn't explain it any better.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I would not have minded McDaniels at all, but he didn't want Depo and Haslam meddling and that was a non starter for those two.

Putting themselves before the Browns.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Okay, maybe we can back to football instead of the agenda BS.

I think you are right. We constantly fire FO people. We fire HCs. They bring in their own staffs. There is a constant upheaval of rosters. We make changes everywhere. We never establish anything. Constant upheaval puts us behind the pack. It's not hard to see and it sure as hell makes a lot more sense than putting all the blame on a WR.
The entire team played like garbage. There is not one single person for blaming. Everyone from Jimmy to the trainers deserve blame. Heck, the equipment managers deserve blame at this point. lol.

We couldnt throw
We couldnt play def
We couldnt establish the run
We couldnt call decent plays
We couldnt get open
We couldnt play with fire
We couldnt win

The only thing I saw that I was impressed with, was probably the oline. they played half decent considering their opponent and the amount of time they were asked to block because of clutching of the football.

Rishuz #1791872 09/13/20 10:51 PM
Legend
Legend
I would not have minded McDaniels at all, but he didn't want Depo and Haslam meddling and that was a non starter for those two.

Putting themselves before the Browns.

He also wanted to tear it all down again. We’ll see if he was right.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1791873 09/13/20 10:53 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I tbought he wanted to work with Baker?

Am I remembering that right?

Swish #1791874 09/13/20 10:59 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That was a total team loss!! Stefanski went away from the thing he said he would do and that was to have Baker throwing 40 times a game. Where was the imagination to scheme or show different looks in the running game??

Also, if your gonna try to force feed OBJ, make sure he is open first!! Baker through into coverage trying to get the ball to OBJ when he was not even open!! Tell Baker to read the coverage first and foremost. If OBJ aint open, too bad.

Defense was a joke. Again, why is Garrett rushing PAST Jackson, giving him a running or throwing lane in the gap Garrett left?? Our Secondary was kinda depleted anyway but the pass rush did not help!!

If people have the stomach to look at that game again, you will see that the entire team got back into some bad habits.. and Stefanski should have been in their ears all game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: The Collector
why does it feel like Baker regressed?

Because it's been a while since we've seen how bad previous Browns Qb's looked.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post. I also think Hunt played well. Njoku made some nice plays before he got hurt. The Rats didn't throw at Ward, so that probably means he did well. I agree w/you on the OL. Chubb was okay. I know he fumbled and that sucks, but I don't like using one play to trash or praise a player. Landry played pretty good.

Other than that, I think everyone else was bad and the coaching was really bad. Just my opinion.

Rishuz #1791880 09/13/20 11:24 PM
Legend
Legend
I tbought he wanted to work with Baker?

Am I remembering that right?

I’m not sure about that. All I remember is they said he wanted a total rebuild. Haslams and Depo thought we have the pieces to win now. McDaniels could have wanted Baker and still tear down around him.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1791881 09/13/20 11:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not sure either. But, the words "total rebuild" don't resonate. I thought he wanted a total restructure of the FO? I thought it was more about the structure of the FO rather than the roster?

In other words, dead weight like Depo and company would be gone.

cfrs15 #1791882 09/13/20 11:28 PM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
j
Baltimore is a very good team and anyone who expected a win is a homer. Browns did not stand a chance.

First the Browns have lacked a receiving threat for far to long,
OBJ has been nothing but overrated and Hodge is no threat to do anything.

The LB's are the worst in the league once again. This grtoup is horrible.

The DL is so overrated as is the secondary.

The Browns are a young team still trying to find there way, this is not a team that has the right pieces in place yet and needs an overhaul.

The two positions of a need of overhaul are LB and WR. The OL looked good and that was about the only solid part of this team on display.

Thoughts?

MrUniverse #1791883 09/13/20 11:31 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think a ton of teams would love to have OBJ and Landry.

I doubt many teams would love to have Baker.

Those are my "thoughts."

With that said.............I am not blaming this loss on Baker. I think he stinks, but it was a total team loss.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How about our kicker? That Dude is a real work in progress. Our lbs dbs and safties stink.Obj sucks. When he dropped that pass on 3rd down we were still in the game.Baker is still trying to force the ball to OBJ and he actually not just him but all our receivers were not getting open. Balts receivers were open all over the field.
The coach went away from the running game to soon. I thought Chubb and Hunt were having good games early.
Any more games like this and we can start our mock drafts.

Legend
Legend

There are other tweets where they specifically say he didn’t want Depo.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'm not sure either. But, the words "total rebuild" don't resonate. I thought he wanted a total restructure of the FO? I thought it was more about the structure of the FO rather than the roster?

Thats what I remember reading about. The rumor was Josh wanted to have control, and didnt want the data guys meddling with his decisions. From what I remember, they spent hours for him to just get up and leave.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Thats what I remember reading about. The rumor was Josh wanted to have control, and didnt want the data guys meddling with his decisions. From what I remember, they spent hours for him to just get up and leave.

More importantly he didn’t want Haslam meddling.

cfrs15 #1791888 09/14/20 12:48 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

More importantly he didn’t want Haslam meddling.
Just about every owner meddles, its part of being a billionaire owner of a franchise. I doubt thats who they were referring too in the reports.

For or against depo doesnt really matter at this point, it is what it is. But lets not try to say that Depo is not the reason McDaniels left. Every report hinted or implied that afterwards.

Swish #1791889 09/14/20 01:20 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Sign OBJ, he has great hands but he signs here and now he can't catch a fly.

Have a great RB in Chubb and Hunt but they can't find the goaline.

Baker is garbage, horrible pick.

I'm just about done with beliving we'll ever become a competent franchise. At this point it's tough to believe anything positive will ever happen for us. I'm just :-(

Psydeffect #1791890 09/14/20 02:05 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

I listened to the first half of the game and turned it off at halftime. It sounded like the same old stuff and I had better things to do with my time (like take a nap)

I don't know what the deal with Baker is. I'm not buying the argument that its because he's had too many coaches or too many systems in such a short time for the simple fact that when he stepped in his rookie year with no 1st team reps... he killed it.

He was less prepared and had less time to sync with his players than he has had in the last 2 seasons. He clearly doesn't feel dangerous anymore which is probably the problem.

My hope going in to this game would have been a heavy dose of the run game to set up the play action and then take some well timed shots. It sounded like we'd start to get get the ground game rolling but then spread it it all out when it came time to pass.

OBJ dropping that first easy pass... that's a concentration issue. If he's not concentrating on catching the ball... what is he concentrating on? I think with him I'm moving toward the camp of seeing if there's a better fit for him somewhere else. I'm having a hard time seeing what real value he brings. Compared to Landry, OBJ is the better athlete, has more WR talent.

Yet, of the 2, who have we seen consistently and reliably be able to get open, is the most consistent and reliable pass catcher, has taken over a game or 2 in his time here, and who's play seems to inspire the other guys on the field?

Landry needs to be our #1 IMO.

The biggest mistake each of these coaching regimes (and QBs) has made is trying to force the ball to this WR or that WR. Hoyer was killin it until he felt the need to get the ball to Gordon so much. Baker his 1st year was spreading the ball everywhere.

Anyway, it is Week 1 so who knows what this team will look like Thursday night.

I think the biggest disappointment for me today was the Scottish Hammer's first fake punt getting blown up. I always pictured him taking it 80 yards down the pitch stiff arming everyone who came close and getting it in to the endzone before punting the ball into the upper decks.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Swish #1791891 09/14/20 02:35 AM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Another rookie head coach who wants to call his own plays. Its ridiculous, we have seen this story before . So has Haslam, yet he alows it to continue.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Swish #1791896 09/14/20 05:29 AM
Legend
Legend
J/C

I watched a handful of other games and one thing seemed to resonate: we are so, so soft, Physically and mentally we have no will or speed or strength. Our DL gets zero push, we make one mistake and it snowballs, terrible body language, etc.

I’d say we’re the biggest losers in the NFL, hence why we’re the biggest losers in the NFL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1791899 09/14/20 06:42 AM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Pretty much a new everything.... no preseason.....against a team that was solid last year and apparently will be this year... pretty much went as I expected.
If this was game 3 or so I'd be worried.

DogNDC #1791903 09/14/20 07:28 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Baker through into coverage trying to get the ball to OBJ when he was not even open!!

It worked for Eli.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1791908 09/14/20 07:39 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
STORY OF THE GAME

The Stefanski offense uses the outside zone running scheme as a base to set up everything it does, and it simply looked out of sorts. A couple nice runs early on the outside zone from Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb gave hope, but the Ravens defense pretty much shut the run game down. Baker Mayfield didn't seem to trust anything happening around him. When he did trust his first reads, he threw into tight coverage. Baker was 2-of-10 for 25 yards and was sacked twice when pressured.

Even when Mayfield was kept clean, he went only 19-of-34 for 164 yards with one big time throw and two turnover-worthy plays. Odell Beckham Jr. gave the proverbial side eye every time Baker missed a pass in his direction. Beckham caught five balls on seven targets, including a wide-open drop. It’s hard to think of a worse Week 1 performance by an offense in recent years — the Browns stay winless in the PFF era in Week 1s.

On the other side of the field, Lamar Jackson had his way with the Browns defense. Whether he was pressured (9-of-11 for 114 yards), kept clean (12-of-15 for 168 yards), off play-action (7-of-7 for 110 yards) or just a straight dropback (14-of-19 for 172 yards), he continually made the right reads and threw the ball accurately. There was talk in the offseason that the world needed to see more of Lamar in close game situations to see what he is made of when defenses can key on the passing game. That didn’t happen, as the Ravens took a 10-0 lead and didn’t look back.

Mark Andrews was the quarterback’s top target with five catches on seven targets, with two contested catches and a nifty one-handed catch for the first touchdown of the season for the Ravens. Marquise Brown flashed on some downfield throws and finished with a whopping 4.50 yards per route run as the 2020 Ravens offense picked up right where it left off from last year’s regular season.

Without Hayden Hurst after an offseason trade to Atlanta, Baltimore played more from two-tight-end sets after leading the league in three-tight-end sets last season. They finished with the same number of snaps with two tight ends on the field as they did with three wide receivers.

ROOKIE WATCH

Ravens rookie J.K. Dobbins had two goal line touchdowns, but the rock was spread around between the Ravens rushers as he finished with only six carries. Dobbins forced one missed tackle on those six runs and finished with 3.8 yards per carry and 2.2 yards after contact. Rookie linebacker Patrick Queen forced a fumble and had six tackles — with three defensive stops — and also his first NFL sack. Unfortunately, he allowed both targets that came his way in coverage to be caught for 20 yards total.

Jedrick Wills was solid in his first game at tackle for the Browns. He was tasked with 40 pass-blocking snaps and allowed only a sack and two hurries. Defensive linemen Jordan Elliott played 26 snaps but didn’t make an impact in his NFL opener. Tight end Harrison Bryant played 17 receiving snaps and caught one ball on two targets.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-week-1-refocused-baltimore-ravens-38-cleveland-browns-6

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1791911 09/14/20 07:43 AM
Legend
Legend
The highly touted (and anticipated) ZBS/PA offense didn’t look like I thought it would ... I was expecting something much different.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
jfanent #1791912 09/14/20 07:45 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
jc -

This is a really good read on Mayfield's issues and also very sobering.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...eld--151465806/

MrUniverse #1791918 09/14/20 07:50 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MrUniverse
j
Baltimore is a very good team and anyone who expected a win is a homer.

I don't think too many on here expected a win. I do think that most expected us to not look completely inept on offense, defense, and special teams. We put up 0 fight in this game. No other team looked as unprepared and unwilling as we did. That's the problem. Not the loss, but how we went about losing.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Rishuz #1791922 09/14/20 07:55 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Arians, McCarthy, Rivera.

You have guys like Depo who are desperately trying to make a name for themselves, have the ear of an idiot owner, and do not want to be overshadowed by a name coach. It's better for them if the no name coach becomes successful.

Meanwhile, the Arians, McCarthys, and Riveras of the world go on and have success with other teams.
Good point about Depo. It's the "I'm the smartest guy in the room", syndrome.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess I'm not that emotionally upset as others are about the loss. I believed in the Las Vegas spread of this game and as well as Vegas' highest expected team total for the Ravens among all NFL teams yesterday. I believed that the Ravens not having a change of coaches and, thus an 'easier' offseason in general but even more amplified during the COVID offseason was going to be a huge benefit. The biggest concern is how far away we seemed to be after one game compared to other teams that were in a similar situation. A quick turnaround on a short week, coupled with the injuries sustained, it not ideal either. From the jump, it was a problem.

Odell looks, to put it mildly, disinterested. For someone who is being forced fed the ball, either due to his name or any attempt to satisfy a disgruntled WR (speculation), this is not the attitude from your expected #1 WR. Body language galore was showcased yesterday by OBJ and it didn't look good. Again, all these targets towards OBJ are like we're trying to keep him happy. If true, this isn't good for the team. He has been very disappointing so far.

Baker, for what I am guessing are several factors, didn't trust himself or his reads. Tons of pumps, happy feet, etc. I don't have any game review package that shows coverage by their secondary, but timing was an issue....either mentally by Baker or with the WR. I don't know the play calling details but I feel like we saw very little play action. I think that is Baker's strength in those plays so hopefully, we see it more. I'm not upset about seeing that Baker threw 40 times. We were down 24-6 at the half and down almost immediately in the few first few drives. Of course we needed to throw as a result of a bad game script.

I saw Clayborn in on a lot of snaps, particularly in the second half. Was that a specific replacement of Myles or Vernon? Or spelling both on rotation?

I thought Ogunjobi has a good game. Seemed very disruptive on the interior (forced the fumble) and had Jackson rolling out. Unfortunately, that's where Jackson can be at his most dangerous.

Njoku took advantage of each of his three targets and was the bright spot in the passing game. Landry, too, to a lesser extent but caught a handful of passes Baker was able to pull off.

I thought our two OTs did fairly well. Thought the interior didn't do so well and blew up plays quite a bit.

I'm interested to see the snap count review for this team after Week 1. Namely:

- The snap count for Hooper as I believe he was only targeted once
- Snap count for Vernon considering so much perceived Clayborn snaps
- Ronnie Harrison played in a couple snaps....perhaps because he was so new to the scheme since the trade?
- Our fullback? Again...negative game script and needing to pass more my have limited his involvement.

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1791925 09/14/20 08:08 AM
Legend
Legend

Expected to lose. Also expected to play better.

Got beat on offense, defense and special teams. Turned the ball over three times.

Scored 6 points that will not get it done. Baker was below average. Lamar was very good.

My fear going into the game was defense. The Ravens had one drive from deep in their territory into our end zone. Like we didn't exist. Red zone defense was horrible.

I was expecting to run the ball. Then run some more. Then use play action. TE's, fullback, Chubb, Hunt. We end up way to much in spread with shotgun?

The only part that looked good was the OL.

Short week have to move on.

Now they know what it takes to win in this league.

If we can not defend the middle from the DL through the linebackers and safety's; we will not win games.

The Browns have a lot to correct and figure out. Not much time to do so. If they lose the next two games this season will get away fast.

Have to see how they play this next game. Easy to over react because I expected more. Disappointed to say the least.

I honestly can not remember the last time we won the first game. What a sick feeling.

Well at least there will be close to no fans. Less suffering.

Already beginning to wonder if I will ever see a winning season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
"but the Ravens defense pretty much shut the run game down."

Between Hunt and Chubb, we rushed 23 times for 132 yards. That's almost 6 yds per run. How is that shutting down the run game?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I always think we have a chance to win. I didn't really expect us to win given the circumstances.

It will be interesting to see what happens if we get blown out by Cincinnati, or if people start changing their tune if we win.

I wasn't concerned about winning this game although losing sucks. It's how they respond that matters most to me. If we come out flat and disinterested, then maybe we have issues. If we're excited and focused that's a good sign.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 6 Ravens 38 post game

Link Copied to Clipboard