Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

Open for debate.

Subjective list but there was a process in place.

I have only looked at the top 50. After that order is very hard to determine.

First off there seems to be a bias but I guess that is hard to keep out.

Number 31 Kind of Blue?

Really? Number 31. I have known many musicians during my time. People from all kinds of genre. When that album is brought up in conversation everyone bows. I know it is jazz and that right away is strike against today. But I have heard from rock people say that it is the most influential album to them.

How that album is not top five or even ten is beyond me.

I mean Patti Smith Horses at 26?

Some of these I have serious doubts about but in the end it is one of those greatest lists.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I hate Rolling Stone magazine. Still stuck in the 1960s and when they left Rik Emmett off the Top 100 Rock Guitarists list, I said “screw them”. They only care about U.S. and British artists, anyways.

My Top Album ever: I really can’t decide.....

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
That list is hysterical. Led Zep at 58? There is a lot wrong with this list IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
No Led Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, Eagles, Dire Straits, The Who or Steely Dan in the top 50 but Radio Head is there twice, Bob Dylan 3 times and these folks are saying that Patti Smith created a better album than any of the efforts of the artists listed?

This list is silly.

#GMSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Aja, Astral Weeks and The Band's first should be much higher.

Station to Station is a little too high.

Imo

Legend
OP Online
Legend

I have no problem with Dylan.

Tommy was a first a rock opera. It was a masterpiece.

The Ramones? Sorry. How is that 47?

Kendrick Lamar 19?

Damn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Worthless article and list. What's their criteria? Sales? Hits? Popularity? No one will agree with anything.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
No Led Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, Eagles, Dire Straits, The Who or Steely Dan in the top 50 but Radio Head is there twice, Bob Dylan 3 times and these folks are saying that Patti Smith created a better album than any of the efforts of the artists listed?

This list is silly.

Agree 100 %.

gmstrong

-----------------

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Agree with your comment on Emmett.

Rik Emmett is one of the most underappreciated guitarists from that time (and not just in rock).

Re: other underappreciated Canadian musicians -
I'd add Burton Cummings and Pat Travers. Cohen has probably gotten his due.

imo

Btw - I do agree with other posters who say the list is a bit silly - especially when you get to the 68-1 page.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Music is subjective and from my subjective viewpoint there's so much wrong with this list I wouldn't know where to start.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

It is important to read "how" they made the list. The criteria and who voted.

They tried.

The problem is just I don't think the list could ever please people. We are are all subject to our time and tastes.

As much as I respect and admire Marvin I disagree that it is number one. So you can start right at the top.

The order even if you agree with some of even the top ten most would take issue with.

It is just another of those greatest things.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
There was a thing on facebook at one point where you were supposed to post your top 10 albums (for you) and why, one each day.

In no particular order for me
OK Computer - Radiohead - masterpiece, one of my favorite bands ever

Vulgar Display of Power - Pantera - blown away by this album the first time I heard it, and Pantera remains one of my favorite metal bands ever

License to Ill - Beastie Boys - came along when I was about 8 years old, amazing album and groundbreaking for the time, imo. Personally I think Paul's Boutique is their best album, but as far as my own personal influence, License to Ill started it all for me

Houses of the Holy - Led Zepelin - another one that is not really their best, but this is the album that got me hooked. When I was a kid I was in a record store with my dad, standing by a bargain bin of tapes that had this in it. Asked my dad if it was any good and he goes yeah I really like that band... Zepelin is probably my favorite rock band of all time

Nevermind - Nirvana - Blown away first time I heard them and came along at a great time in my life. still one of my favorite bands ever. I remember buying $20-30 bootlegs to just hear 1 song I never heard released before

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses - another band that blew me away the first time I heard them. SOOOO much different than all the other bands out at the time.

And Justice for All - Metallica - I could easily put Master of Puppets here too as I was given (borrowed) both albums at the same time. I was in 6th grade. They remain among my favorite bands of all time.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - Probably my second favorite band of all time.

Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails

Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled...

Again, none of those are necessarily what I think the top 10 of all time are, though some of them imo are, but they are among the most influential albums in my life.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that lists like this are very hard to make and are very subjective. But, w/that being said..........it's a lame-ass list.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

Yeah.

My first reaction was like What????

V
Legend
Legend
V
Me too. And bro, I am not usually critical of lists. They're so hard to make. So subjective. I rarely bash lists like many people do. That one, though...........I yi yi yi.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I just like the fact that Pavement has three albums on the list, and REM has two, and Jane's Addiction has none, RIIIIIGGGHHHHT

L
Legend
Legend
L
Who the hell is Pavement? Seriously....

gmstrong

-----------------

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Who the hell is Pavement? Seriously....

90s alternative band. If you listen to normal FM radio you likely never really heard them outside a song or two that you might go oh I've heard that...

Good band. I really enjoy them. I mostly only know them because a friend of mine was a huge fan. When we were at a radiohead show that friend wore his pavement shirt. Afterwards, we met Thom Yorke (lead singer) and Thom commented on how he loved that shirt & band and hangs out with them all the time. My friend was on cloud 9 lol...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavement_(band)

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Spawn1
I just like the fact that Pavement has three albums on the list, and REM has two, and Jane's Addiction has none, RIIIIIGGGHHHHT

Right?!
Nothing Shocking is a better album than any REM album. It’s not even close.
And while Pavement put out a few good tunes they can’t hold a candle to anything on Nothing’s Shocking.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Music is subjective and from my subjective viewpoint there's so much wrong with this list I wouldn't know where to start.

Yep. I expected some controvertial picks, but a scroll thru the top 50 made me want to puke.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Originally Posted By: Spawn1

Right?!
Nothing Shocking is a better album than any REM album. It’s not even close.
And while Pavement put out a few good tunes they can’t hold a candle to anything on Nothing’s Shocking.

Didn't check out the list, but Nothing's Shocking seems to be one of the best kept secrets in the history of rock... masterpiece.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’d argue it’s one of the best pure rock albums since the 70’s.

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I’d argue it’s one of the best pure rock albums since the 70’s.

Agreed.

Though I also really liked "Ritual..." (due mostly to the second half of that album). Good stuff.

I watched the DVD of "Live Voodoo" from New Orleans again several months back. All the songs still hold up.

Legend
Legend
...and now I've fallen down the rabbit hole on youtube.

I love Ritual as well. Both are pretty much on equal ground in my book - just depends on my mood.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Once again, Pavement has three albums on there. More than: R.E.M., Jane's Addiction, Metallica, Social Distortion, Green Day, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, NWA, Public Enemy, and the same number as: The Clash, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Nirvana and Elvis Presley. Just let that sink in.

Apparently, some one at Rolling Stone is either a huge Pavement fan, or the actual members of Pavement made this list.

PS. One of their albums was at 199, higher than: John Lennon's Imagine, The Beatles' Let It Be, Green Day's Dookie, and Tom Waits' Rain Dogs

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
That list is hysterical. Led Zep at 58? There is a lot wrong with this list IMHO.
this was my first thought too .. 58?!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

This list is silly.

Exactly. Bob Dylan can't even sing properly. His voice is terrible.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This thread is fun to read.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
There's those special albums that defined you at certain points in life. The ones you remember.

The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem. The first CD I bought with my own money. I think I picked it up at the Virgin Records store.

Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All - Metallica. The raw instrumental power, voice, I had never heard anything like these albums before. I was kind of in awe. The Four Horseman, The Thing that should not be, Orion, Frayed Ends of Sanity, I could go on, the first four are so special.

The Color of Spring - Talk Talk. This is one of the most unique albums I've ever listened to till this day. One of the most uplifting I've ever heard and each song fits perfectly in arrangement. It helped give me hope during a tough time in my life. If you've never heard this you're in for a treat.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Look into Volbeat.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies

The Color of Spring - Talk Talk. This is one of the most unique albums I've ever listened to till this day. One of the most uplifting I've ever heard and each song fits perfectly in arrangement. It helped give me hope during a tough time in my life. If you've never heard this you're in for a treat.

Interesting you should bring up Talk Talk.

"Spirit of Eden" is still one of my favorite albums from that decade. It's when Mark Hollis went off the rails a little bit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

The problem is just I don't think the list could ever please people. We are are all subject to our time and tastes.

Right. Like where's MEATLOAF?!? cool naughtydevil

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Right. Like where's MEATLOAF?!? cool naughtydevil

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Not

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exactly. wink

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Link Copied to Clipboard