Print Thread
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Why Wyatt Teller is the Browns’ offensive MVP

Updated Sep 25, 2020; Posted Sep 25, 2020

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Meet Wyatt Teller, your Pro Bowl starter at guard. Well, that’s how it looks after two weeks of the 2020 season anyway.

Remember, this is the guy who took over for Eric Kush at right guard last season, and after eight starts with Teller the Browns felt they needed another right guard competition this season. And then it didn’t happen. He pretty much won the position by default. Drew Forbes opted out and Nick Harris moved to center while JC Tretter recovered from knee surgery.

Even so, Teller was often referred to as a potential weak link on the offensive line. Then Teller went through the first two weeks of the season looking like Kevin Stefanski’s offense was meant to make him better instead of Baker Mayfield.

Teller is currently the top-ranked guard by Pro Football Focus, earning a 90.1 offensive grade so far. A grade in the 85-89 range is considered Pro Bowl level by PFF. Grades 90 and above are considered elite. Teller’s offensive grade is also the best on the Browns.

Teller has the top run-blocking grade among guards this season (91.9), and this is where he has made his biggest jump. Teller had roughly 200 run-blocking snaps in each of his first two seasons in the NFL and didn’t earn a single-season grade above 54.1. He had never reached 70.0 with a single-game grade.

But he’s creating so many running lanes for Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt this season that he has earned run-blocking grades of 91.6 and 84.0 the first two weeks. He has played a big role in some Browns runs you probably remember most this season.

Against the Ravens, Teller created big holes in the second quarter for Hunt’s 22-yard run and Chubb’s 29-yarder. Against the Bengals, he planted Christian Covington on Chubb’s first-quarter touchdown run. Hunt’s 33-yard burst late against the Bengals was also behind right guard.

Again, we talking about a right guard position that, was averaging just 3.9 yards per carry last season when the Browns ran that way. This season, that average is 8.4.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
It's so weird, I know his PFF marks are outstanding. But the oddity, when watching the games, Teller didn't look as amazing as his PFF grade suggests. Don't get me wrong he hasn't looked poor either. Perhaps it has just been his penalties, or his play when he completely whiffed and landed on the ground last week...I recall a play near the goal line in week 1, where he got blown up badly. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Seems like everyone upfront has been playing well. I am glad Teller has stepped it up, as prior to the year...RG seemed like a huge question mark.

Nice to see us having a player progress, instead of the usual regression that tends to be a tendency here with our Browns.

Legend
Legend
I'm reading the above article and thinking 'Okay, why? What changed? Is it the scheme, coaching?'

This story tells a lot of the why... seems the dude has worked his butt off since last season. Combine that with what seems to be some great, hard-nosed coaching from Callahan and we have a situation where he is playing pro-bowl caliber football.

Wyatt Teller Taking Advantage of His Opportunity With The Browns
By FRED GREETHAM Sep 24, 8:29 AM

BEREA, Ohio -- After the Cleveland Browns signed Jack Conklin as an unrestricted free agent and drafted Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, there wasn't too much of a mystery as to the Cleveland Browns starting offensive line would be made up of.

With veteran incumbents J.C. Tretter at center and Pro Bowl left guard Joel Bitonio, the only position that looked to be open for competition was at right guard.

The leading candidates were believed to be Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes, but Forbes decided to opt-out due to COVID-19 concerns. Guards Colby Gossett and Malcolm Pridgeon also opted out, leaving the Browns thin at guard. Rookie Nick Harris was also believed to be in the mix for guard, but when Tretter was sidelined for all of training camp, Harris handled all of the duties with the first team at center.

The OBR's Lane Adkins reported in the spring that Browns offensive line coach Bill Callahan really liked Teller and Forbes, but hadn't really worked with them on the field.

Once training camp began, Teller took control of the position and has received good reviews for his play in the first two games. Kevin Stefanski singled Teller out for his play against the Bengals. Pro Football Focus has graded Teller at 90.1 through the first two games.

"I hesitate to single anyone out, but I would tell you, Wyatt Teller really was playing a very physical football game," Stefanski said after the game. "Also would like to single out (offensive line) Coach Callahan. He did an outstanding job with his guys and a great job with the run game plan getting guys ready to play. Really kudos to Coach Callahan.

Teller had two penalties against Cincinnati that set the offense back, but in both cases, the Browns were able to overcome the penalties and pick up first downs.

Stefanski was asked if Teller's improvement was due to his offseason work, coaching or the players surrounding him.

“I think it is always a combination of all of those things," Stefanski said. "To Wyatt’s credit, he works very hard in the weight room and on the practice field. He works at his craft. He is always getting extra (work), so I think that shows up.”

Teller (6-4, 315) is in his third season out of Virginia Tech. Teller started the final seven games at right guard for the Bills after being drafted by Buffalo in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft. The Browns traded for Teller on August 29, 2019 and gave up fifth- and sixth-round picks in 2020, along with adding a 2021 seventh-round pick.

Teller, who will turn 26 on November 21, played in 15 games last year, starting the final nine at right guard. He has now started eleven-straight games for the Browns at right guard.

Baker Mayfield said Teller has really taken to coaching and transformed his body.

“I think Wyatt took advantage of the long offseason and being able to get his body right, something I can relate to," Mayfield said. "He put on a ton of muscle mass. We have a great O line coach in Bill Callahan. I think Bill is extremely hard on those guys, but I think Wyatt has learned a lot from him just from the short time he has been with him, and you can see it in the production that he is having.”

Nick Chubb says he enjoys running behind the offensive line.

“Wyatt has been great for us," Chubb said. "I know Coach Callahan is on his tail every day at practice to get him going and not letting him slow down or stop or anything. I think he has been a great part of this team.”

Teller plays between Tretter and Conklin and the right tackle says that Tretter's play has been impressive.

“He is an extremely powerful guy," Conklin said. "He is a guy that is going to put people on the ground and finish. It has been fun to see throughout camp and really starting to figure out the wide zone concepts. It takes a while, and you can really see him throughout these first couple of weeks starting to figure it out and put his strength into it. You can really see it. Last week, he was all over the field putting people on the ground. He is a lot of fun to watch.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...wns--151845870/

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's hard to watch the OL closely on TV, but he's been outstanding from what I have seen. I commented about his play after both games.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It's hard to watch the OL closely on TV, but he's been outstanding from what I have seen. I commented about his play after both games.

Yeah, admittingly it is...He has looked a world better, as I thought he played poorly last year. This week will be a good test for him (with Payne and Allen inside) It's nice that he has stepped up his game, I was just more in shock that he was the highest rated RG in the league (per PFF)

I do like his nasty play style, reminds me somewhat of Richie Incognito...just off the finishing and stout frame-not the headcase portion lol

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Baker Mayfield said Teller has really taken to coaching and transformed his body.

“I think Wyatt took advantage of the long offseason and being able to get his body right, something I can relate to," Mayfield said. "He put on a ton of muscle mass. We have a great O line coach in Bill Callahan. I think Bill is extremely hard on those guys, but I think Wyatt has learned a lot from him just from the short time he has been with him, and you can see it in the production that he is having.”

Nick Chubb says he enjoys running behind the offensive line.

“Wyatt has been great for us," Chubb said. "I know Coach Callahan is on his tail every day at practice to get him going and not letting him slow down or stop or anything. I think he has been a great part of this team.”

Teller plays between Tretter and Conklin and the right tackle says that Tretter's play has been impressive.

“He is an extremely powerful guy," Conklin said. "He is a guy that is going to put people on the ground and finish. It has been fun to see throughout camp and really starting to figure out the wide zone concepts. It takes a while, and you can really see him throughout these first couple of weeks starting to figure it out and put his strength into it. You can really see it. Last week, he was all over the field putting people on the ground. He is a lot of fun to watch.”

Good stuff thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The way the entire interior OL has been able to effectively pull and kick out has also been pretty amazing. Last year they were asked to do so little of this, but this year they all look like seasoned pros at it.

We still have work to do in goal to go situations, but overall they are light years ahead of where I figured they would be, especially with Conklin missing a week. Thinking about it further .... Tretter missed almost the entire off-season, and Conklin missed week 2, and the line never really missed a beat. That's a real testament to their hard work and the coaching they received.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that when Teller first took over for Kush, he wasn't very good, but got better as the season wore on. If that's true, then he's continuing on a trajectory that started last season. And adding Callahan as line coach was huge.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The way the entire interior OL has been able to effectively pull and kick out has also been pretty amazing. Last year they were asked to do so little of this, but this year they all look like seasoned pros at it.

We still have work to do in goal to go situations, but overall they are light years ahead of where I figured they would be, especially with Conklin missing a week. Thinking about it further .... Tretter missed almost the entire off-season, and Conklin missed week 2, and the line never really missed a beat. That's a real testament to their hard work and the coaching they received.

This is true...Hubbard started last week, and I didn't even notice him...Which is superb, because last year he was always showing up negatively

Legend
Legend
I didnt realize he was a converted defensive player. That means he should keep improving

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

This is true...Hubbard started last week, and I didn't even notice him...Which is superb, because last year he was always showing up negatively

Totally agree! I love watching the O-line/TEs, but most fans don't, including my brother, so whenever he says "the o-line didn't really do much this game." or "Chubb is so good!" I know they've had an awesome game.

Legend
Legend
Just a great quote. Seems like the O-line is getting tighter with respect and positive achievements that makes them genuinely respect each other. I thought today showed us well on offense, especially "remembering" the run that was so often forgotten in the last few seasons. And to shake wins out of these games is gratifying, Conklin did OK, Callahan is superb. Game ball to the offensive unit!

Just win, baby! MY Elf still says, "Wahoo!" when we win. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has been outstanding. Thanks Dorsey.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
He has been outstanding. Thanks Dorsey.

Dorsey did make a "Few" good trades and picks thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You can count them on one hand. cool

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Teller had another excellent game yesterday. Washington has a very good DL and he still had a grade of 80.3 according to a report from BrownsWire.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
j/c:

Teller had another excellent game yesterday. Washington has a very good DL and he still had a grade of 80.3 according to a report from BrownsWire.

That’s-a nice grade-a! (Italian chef voice)
I won’t lie, he’s been a very nice surprise this year.
Maybe surprise isn’t the right word, he was alright last year, but has really stepped his game up so far.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
For some perspective:

Teller is 3rd out of 34 centers.

Teller is 3rd out of 79 guards.

Bitonio is 5th out of 79 guards.

Conklin is 22nd out of 71 tackles.

Willis is 44th out of 71 tackles.

That is very, very good!

Legend
Legend
I see three, maybe four Pro Bowlers.

I'd love to see Wills step it up and make it, but that's asking a lot of a rookie LT. Joe Thomas did it, but Wills isn't Joe Thomas.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wills at 44/71 in his rookie year making the switch is phenomenal.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For some perspective:

Teller is 3rd out of 34 centers.

Teller is 3rd out of 79 guards.

Bitonio is 5th out of 79 guards.

Conklin is 22nd out of 71 tackles.

Willis is 44th out of 71 tackles.

That is very, very good!
Guard in #2 spot is Onwenu of the Pats, drafted #182 in the last draft. His snap count is a little more than half Teller's, and Teller has both higher run and pass blocking scores (which makes me wonder how he has a lower aggregate score.) We'll see what happens as the sample size gets larger.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I have been really impressed with both Teller and Willis especially. They have upside and only improve with games and coaching. Point is, it solidifies that impression with the numbers here.
Think they might be a little low.

"Exit interview" numbers at end of season may show stronger performance. All I care about long-view is record. This is great for now. brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know these clips are essentially highlights, but one thing I noticed is how he moves his feet and gets to wear he needs to go in order to block. Never having to reach on those plays sure does make it easier to dish out pain.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Wills at 44/71 in his rookie year making the switch is phenomenal.

Actually it's quite early in his rookie year. Most of us expected a learning curve switching sides and he's actually ahead of where I thought the curve would be at this juncture. Things can only improve even more from here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Those clips are some of the best OL clips we’ve had in 20 years

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why Wyatt Teller is the Browns’ offensive MVP

Link Copied to Clipboard