Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is another option:

Quote:
The Titans currently have their bye week scheduled for Week 7, while the Steelers' bye comes in Week 8. However, the Steelers are scheduled to play the Baltimore Ravens in Week 7 -- who also have a Week 8 bye. In theory, the league could move the Steelers-Titans matchup to Week 7, and the Steelers-Ravens matchup to Week 8 while the Titans and Steelers take this week off and the Ravens' bye gets moved to Week 7. The one caveat we have to account for is that an even number of teams have to be on bye weeks, but even with this potential swap, it should still work out. (Here's how those bye weeks could look. Week 4: TEN, PIT. Week 7: MIN, JAC, IND, BAL. Week 8: WAS, ARI, HOU, DEN.)

Full article: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steel...t-a-later-date/

Legend
Legend
There are options, but this is going to get pretty messy if there are any other "outbreaks".

Tough enough to start shuffling other teams' bye weeks, but that's about the only way to make up games. Hindsight says it may have been wise to schedule two bye weeks for everyone.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Scheduling two bye weeks certainly would have allowed the NFL more flexibility.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you. I'm surprised that the NFL didn't go w/two bye weeks.

On a related note, I think the Big 10 should have started on Oct. 17th instead of the 24th because they now don't have any wiggle room, unless the NCAA postpones the date when they pick the four playoff teams.

Legend
Legend
Definitely should have scheduled in 2, even 3 bye weeks. Heck, even just release the schedule in 4 game clumps and re-assess

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really blame the NFL. Everyone believes they have a plan that will work. But as we have seen in professional sports, not everyone has the same plan.

Many tried to explain how many more people were involved in a football team than a basketball or baseball team. How more complicated it would be. That there were too many people involved to use "a bubble". The more people involved, the higher the odds of an infection taking place.

But one would have to believe that the NFL felt they had a solid plan in place. There are obviously some holes in their theory and it's becoming clear that it has pretty good odds of becoming very complicated.

We all wanted to see football. We all want to see our Browns on the field. It just wouldn't feel like fall without football. But at this point, how this all ends up is anyone's guess. What would really complicate the situation is if we see outbreaks AFTER some of the teams involved have had their bye weeks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Sorry, Tuesday isn't going to work for me once NCIS comes back on.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
Maybe like school calendars which usually feature extended make-up time attend of school year. Wondered what happens if teams have unequal games for standing/tiebreakers. Or if the Titans incident was, say, Super Bowl Sunday. The messiness potential is starting.

Would a medical forfeit help solve some issues? Just keep imagining more issues.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro
Not blaming anyone, but I don't believe this is the answer. So what happens when team in the playoff hunt tests positive week 15?

HACK

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SteelHack
Not blaming anyone, but I don't believe this is the answer. So what happens when team in the playoff hunt tests positive week 15?

HACK

It also would not be right for one team to have a regular practice schedule, and the other to have no practice sessions leading up to the game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1st String
1st String
Well the Vikings game is going on. Titans pushed back either to Monday or Tuesday. Get well to the people on the team affected by COVID!

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't really blame the NFL. Everyone believes they have a plan that will work. But as we have seen in professional sports, not everyone has the same plan.

Many tried to explain how many more people were involved in a football team than a basketball or baseball team. How more complicated it would be. That there were too many people involved to use "a bubble". The more people involved, the higher the odds of an infection taking place.

But one would have to believe that the NFL felt they had a solid plan in place. There are obviously some holes in their theory and it's becoming clear that it has pretty good odds of becoming very complicated.

We all wanted to see football. We all want to see our Browns on the field. It just wouldn't feel like fall without football. But at this point, how this all ends up is anyone's guess. What would really complicate the situation is if we see outbreaks AFTER some of the teams involved have had their bye weeks.

Great point.

This is part of why I thought it would have been a good idea for the League to have simply pushed the entire schedule back by 4 weeks and still have a preseason. Having a preseason may have helped mitigate some of the league wide injuries and would also have allowed them 4 games to essentially do a practice run with their Covid protocols.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree w/that. Eliminating the preseason games was a good idea. I think maybe they should have started the regular season games earlier, which would have allowed them to have more wiggle room.

I don't think these guys are catching Covid when their playing. The Vikings played the Titans on Sunday and have zero cases.

I wonder what will happen after teams come off their byes? The guys will have more time on their hands and might end up in places where they shouldn't be.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Get well to the people on the team affected by COVID!

As of yesterday, they were all asymptomatic.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I disagree w/that. Eliminating the preseason games was a good idea. I think maybe they should have started the regular season games earlier, which would have allowed them to have more wiggle room.

I ask this for clarity as I'm trying to understand this better.. would you be using the Super Bowl as the anchor to the schedule, keeping it the same date? So that by starting the regular season sooner you can incorporate more Bye Weeks?

I could see something like that working.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure. That would be the goal, but I think flexibility is the key to success. I do think the NFL understands it. Someone mentioned the word "fair" earlier, but the NFL already knows this season isn't going to driven by fairness. Some teams have fans. Others do not.

Like everyone else, my opinion on these things is continually evolving as more information is provided. I think flexibility and adaptability are essential. We've never faced anything like this before. Drawing lines in the sand would be mistakes in my opinion.

But.........all of my opinions could be dead wrong. LOL

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: SteelHack

HACK

It also would not be right for one team to have a regular practice schedule, and the other to have no practice sessions leading up to the game.

I disagree... if a team does better at managing Covid then it's an advantage for them.... if a team is careless then that's on them...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not sure. That would be the goal, but I think flexibility is the key to success. I do think the NFL understands it. Someone mentioned the word "fair" earlier, but the NFL already knows this season isn't going to driven by fairness. Some teams have fans. Others do not.

Like everyone else, my opinion on these things is continually evolving as more information is provided. I think flexibility and adaptability are essential. We've never faced anything like this before. Drawing lines in the sand would be mistakes in my opinion.

But.........all of my opinions could be dead wrong. LOL

Roll with it, plow forward and hope for the best!

-Jack Burton

F
Legend
Legend
F

I don't think these guys are catching Covid when their playing. The Vikings played the Titans on Sunday and have zero cases.

I wonder what will happen after teams come off their byes? The guys will have more time on their hands and might end up in places where they shouldn't be.

I heard on NFL radio yesterday that part of the agreement is that players must stay local during the bye weeks and still come in for testing.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
F
Legend
Legend
F
if there are more outbreaks, they could cut the season to 14 games and use the final regular 2 weeks as make up games.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
if there are more outbreaks, they could cut the season to 14 games and use the final regular 2 weeks as make up games.
Problem will be that the final two weeks include a lot of divisional games ... and that throws everything off for playoffs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
My question is getting games in before clock runs out on season, playoffs, SB, etc. An uneven record gives us apples and oranges, especially for tie-breakers, say in division. Pure disruption because a team has a flare of virus near the game can be a problem. Curious as to how things could be placed on an even footing. Just play "Rock, Paper, Scissors" for it or flip coins.

This will get more complicated before we find the bottom, I suspect.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Problem will be that the final two weeks include a lot of divisional games ... and that throws everything off for playoffs

Agree. Can't really do that, all they can do is extend the season. Early in the process, before a start to the season was even decided, the league said the Superbowl could be pushed to as late as February 28, but no later.

That leaves three weeks of wiggle room, four if you skip the ProBowl and play the Superbowl on one week's rest. There's plenty of time to work things out, weather it's fair or not to make teams sit for a couple weeks, waiting for others to make up their games, is another issue.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Southwestdawg
Sorry, Tuesday isn't going to work for me once NCIS comes back on.

Spoiler, they catch the killer by the end of the episode.
There. Now you can watch football.

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

They got to find out HOW THIS HAPPENED and educate the rest of the NFL on what NOT TO DO. Did they all go out to the same bar and did not follow social distancy protocol?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
The condensed season to allow for flexibility would have been intriguing. If they did 14 games and eliminated the two games where you play the teams who finished in the same place as you could have been an option.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M

V
Legend
Legend
V
This makes the most sense.

Legend
Legend
This makes the most sense.

agreed... still think the nfl should have scheduled two bye weeks to help with covid reschedules.

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

C
Legend
Legend
C
Holy crap.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
This will be interesting going forward. Will the league just treat every game arbitrarily or will they play favorites?

Tennessee gets to delay it's game for weeks, Patriots have to play without a QB. Won't be too long before teams have beef with how these decisions are made.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: FATE
Won't be too long before teams have beef with how these decisions are made.

This.

(Regardless the final decision on the Pats/Chiefs game).

P
Legend
Legend
P
Patriots-Chiefs game postponed after multiple positive COVID-19 tests

Sunday's Week 4 game between the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs has been postponed in wake of multiple positive COVID-19 tests, the league announced Saturday.

"The New England-Kansas City game scheduled for 4:25 p.m. ET Sunday will be rescheduled to Monday or Tuesday after positive COVID-19 tests on both teams," the league announced in a statement. "In consultation with infectious disease experts, both clubs are working closely with the NFL and the NFLPA to evaluate multiple close contacts, perform additional testing and monitor developments. All decisions will be made with the health and safety of players, team and gameday personnel as our primary consideration."

Patriots quarterback Cam Newton and Chiefs practice squad QB Jordan Ta'amu have both tested positive for COVID-19 and have been placed on the reserve/COVID list.

NFL Network's Jeffri Chadiha reported on Good Morning Football Saturday that the Chiefs facility has been shut down as the ongoing situation unfolds.

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-chiefs-game-postponed-after-multiple-positive-covid-19-tests

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So is the Pats/Chiefs game gonna be Tuesday? Hopefully there aren’t more positives (there probably will be)

Legend
Legend
Is Cam a republican?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
This will be interesting going forward. Will the league just treat every game arbitrarily or will they play favorites?

Tennessee gets to delay it's game for weeks, Patriots have to play without a QB. Won't be too long before teams have beef with how these decisions are made.

If the Pats had 10-12 test positive I'd assume that they would delay the game longer than a day or two

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Covid Related NFL News

Link Copied to Clipboard