Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really see how one is or can be an excuse why both played poorly. Each had poor performances independent of what the other one did.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Braylon had - at least - (3) very bad drops/plays today (again) and fought for (0) catches that weren't perfect. He looked like the pre-surgery Braylon of last year.

On one of those "drops", the diva stepped out of bounds before making the catch on a Baker scramble...then was whining at a coach on the sideline. WTH was that? I would have benched Braylon right there for the rest of the game.

We have (2) really good RB's and yesterday we had (1) really good TE - surprisingly. That (1) good TE was injured during the game.

Yesterday, we had the best slot WR in the game, a diva WR who simply cannot be counted-upon and a Special Teams ace pretending to play WR.

Once Njoku gut hurt...we had as weapons a slot WR and (2) really good running backs...and we were behind by (3+) scores. What could possibly go wrong?

It will be interesting to see how Stefanski handles OBJ - despite what some have said, as a Browns WR he has played poorly and on top of that didn't know the playbook last year. He was fighting injuries last year, so I excused him for much of his issues. There can't be excuses this year. I am not going to rail against OBJ as much as you - for the same reason I am not going to rail against Baker yet .... it's game 1 after a preseason like never before with a whole lot of 'new' everywhere. I posted my commented about the drop at half time yesterday .... and while the Baker haters can clearly justify the drop and say it's no big deal and claim OBJ is playing poorly because of Baker that's up to them, but my comment was that the drop right before the half was [1] a drive killer [2] gave the Ravens the ball with enough time to go and score before the half..... both true and both extremely costly no matter how you want to spin it. Looking at the final score - it would seem that the drop and loss of 7 wouldn't make any difference to the outcome - but who knows. Maybe going into the half nearly tied might have made a difference? We'll never know. In no way does OBJ's drop excuse or deflect from Baker's very bad performance. Nor does the questionable play calling or execution.

I am in agreement...with the exception that I lost my mind when OBJ inexcusably stepped out of bounds coming back for a pass while Baker was scrambling. It negated a significant gain and killed momentum...again.

I'm done with Braylon. If he can't get "right" with Landry on his team...Braylon has more controversies, bad drops and bonehead positioning than he has 'special' plays while here.

Burrow had two very reliable WRs yesterday in AJ Green and Boyd...Braylon's play is not in the same hemisphere as those two guys. I'd trade Braylon and a 3rd for either one of those two guys.

M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't really see how one is or can be an excuse why both played poorly. Each had poor performances independent of what the other one did.

I agree - and to Willie's point, the feet out of bounds was also something a 'good' player would have avoided, let alone an 'elite'. But it's 1 game, week 1 after a horrendous pre-season. I get that we had the same preseason as others who looked immeasurably better, but we had a lot of bad from last year and we had a lot of new .... and now we have a lot of injuries.

Before the season started there was talk about how Baker might need this whole year and not to judge him - now some of the same posters are pronouncing his fate after 1 game against an elite team after no preseason games. I want to wait till week 6 before deciding one way or another. Who can forget how bad Goff looked at one time, and he has turned things around.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I am a huge fan of Boyd ... and while Green is hitting the twilight of his career, he's still elite.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I try and separate some of those posts. I don't on one hand think it's unfair to point out Baker's performance in each game. I don't think it's unfair to look at where he is in his development at this stage. I believe those to be fair and accurate in regards to the facts at hand. As for myself I do have great concern over his inability to work through his progressions and reading D's post snap.

On the other hand I've seen Baker play very well and it's my hope as he becomes more familiar with the new offense he will take less time having to think about the plays and become more natural to the offense. I believe only when that happens we may see him become more adept at reading D's and going through progressions. It has to be hard trying to learn and execute a new playbook while at the same time developing other parts of your game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well Njoku is on IR for a few weeks now so

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was a huge OBJ fan boy. I was all in on the trade. This isn't the same man. He is slow out of his breaks, he is nearly always covered. Talking all that trash to Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters on twitter.

I think Marlon Humphrey choked the out OBJ's soul two seasons ago. That man is no where to be seen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope the Browns trade OBJ to San Fran and then we can find a new scapegoat for the real problems.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I hope the Browns trade OBJ, but not for the reasons that some of our fans are talking about. I would like to see him revive his career w/a decent qb.

I think OBJ was bad today, but it's hard playing w/such a bad qb. Also, turnovers are way more important in regards to winning and losing than drops. That was an absurd comment. Hell, I think penalties are more meaningful than drops when it comes to wins and losses. I just think the earlier comment was an attempt to slam OBJ. That's okay. Trade him. It would be so "Browns."

Baker was good before OBJ showed up. OBJ shows up and Baker sucks. Coincidence?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes. Baker wasn't very good when he was asked to run a real offense w/Haley.

Haley was fired. Freddie took over and immediately went to quick, one read plays that used half the field reads.

Second season and Freddie is the coach again. Teams got tape on what the Browns did and took that gimmicky crap away and made Baker read the entire field and go through his progressions. Gregg Williams wrote the book early on in the season.

Baker has yet to prove he can quickly navigate coverages and go through progressions. I don't think he trusts his eyes.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. We might scheme some things like Freddie did that will bring short-term success, but unless he learns to adequately read post-snap coverages, he will never have long-term success.

Again, I could be wrong..........but, that makes way more sense to me than to believe that OBJ all of a sudden just started sucking after being a top 3 WR in the entire NFL.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I hope the Browns trade OBJ, but not for the reasons that some of our fans are talking about. I would like to see him revive his career w/a decent qb.

I think OBJ was bad today, but it's hard playing w/such a bad qb. Also, turnovers are way more important in regards to winning and losing than drops. That was an absurd comment. Hell, I think penalties are more meaningful than drops when it comes to wins and losses. I just think the earlier comment was an attempt to slam OBJ. That's okay. Trade him. It would be so "Browns."

superbowl gets the prize for recognizing what others choose to just dismiss.

MY WORDS...THE BROWNS HAVE A CANCER IN THE LOCKER ROOM!

OBJ has never wanted to play for Cleveland and if your paying attention to what he does and not put much stock into what OBJ says..you might see it.

...but, you have to take those OBJ blinders off.

The front office failed to take care of this situation in the off season and for some reason they, would rather saddle the rest of the team with this "head case".

Make no mistake about it..OBJ IS A FRONT OFFICE PROBLEM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I agree that OBJ is a cancer, whether he’s intentionally doing it or not. He may not be very vocal, but he controls the chemistry as I’ve said before.

Baker has never been the same since he got here, and quite frankly neither has Jarvis (or our performance).

That’s not saying OBJ is the reason Baker sucks ... Baker has to own that too. But I think he’d be better off with Landry, Higgins, Hooper, Hunt, and Chubb

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's a shame that Baker's fragile ego has taken such a hit since OBJ arrived.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Yes.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It's a shame that Braylon has played so poorly since he's been with Cleveland...considering what we gave up to get him, his trade just might go down in Cleveland history as the worst of all time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Don't allow objectivity get in your way.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Don't allow objectivity get in your way.

How about you respond to what I said?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Just a reminder...........OBJ did have over 1,000 yards last year. That was a down year for him, but how many 1,000 yard receivers have the Browns had?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've tried already but you keep ignoring it. I'll bold it for you this time. OBJ was injured the entire season last year.

So if that is part of your evaluation I do not believe you are being objective. Silly school yard antics by calling him Braylon won't change that.

Now if what you're attempting to say is that we should expect him to be the player we hoped he would be moving forward I would agree with you.

#gmstrong
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
RBs #1

WR #8

TE #7

M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Hell - our third string RB might be able to start for some teams based on today's game... that was so very impressive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How good are the Browns WR's - RB's - TE's

Link Copied to Clipboard