Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I forgot to mention this, but what the hell was Dallas doing on their last kickoff? That was as dumb as could be and I think it was a huge factor in their loss.

Their last two kickoffs were horrible.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I forgot to mention this, but what the hell was Dallas doing on their last kickoff? That was as dumb as could be and I think it was a huge factor in their loss.

It worked against the Falcons. It's the watermelon onside kick.

Swish #1801618 10/05/20 12:03 AM
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
It was great to see us finish the half, with points (even if 3) and 0 time on the clock. Great clock management.

Clemdawg #1801621 10/05/20 12:21 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Can we have John Dorsey back? He built this team and doesnt deserved to be lost in the shuffle of outgoing staff.

This is the NFL.
Not For Long.

It's also the CLE Browns.
Turnover is what we do.

That said, I'm not sure we'd actually want the entire Dorsey package® back.
He brought in players, but was still part of the Berea dysfunction. Best bet: say 'thanks,' stomp on the gas- and don't even look in the rear-view mirror.

As a Dorsey lover, sadly I have to agree. He did a lot of good things for us bringing in Chubb and Hunt. But this new front office seems to get it, I'm shocked I'm saying this. I'm ready to ride or die with Stefanski, his game plans and playcalling looks great so far. We just might have something special buidling.

Frenchy #1801622 10/05/20 12:29 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I saw a team in the last two weeks win the turnover battle 8-0 I think.

Heard on the WKNR postgame show that the Browns are currently leading the NFL in points off turnovers with 45.

Kind of a wild stat.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
No, Baker Mayfield gave us Freddie Kitchens. Dorsey tried to everything he could to help Baker succeed.

Don't try this revisionist history now.

Dorsey had full authority. It's his hire.

As for the game, the offense looks great. I don't like that Stefanski seems to try to run it almost too much, to the point of everyone knows it's coming 5 pays in a row. But I don't complain too much given the absolute mauling we're doing right now.

Our coverage sucks, but especially or safeties. I think Sendejo was responsible for 3 TDs today. Wet need an upgrade ASAP. Garrett is just crazy good.

Swish #1801628 10/05/20 03:08 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Sure hope Chubb's knee isn't too bad. The backups did well.

The most valuable member of the team is Bill Callahan. His experience as a former HC probably makes his role as assistant HC invaluable. And we all see what he's doing with the OL.

That 4th quarter was scary. But up until then, it was a joy to see.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Swish #1801631 10/05/20 05:44 AM
Legend
Legend
I’m assuming we’ll get some update on Chubb’s injury late this morning

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Clemdawg #1801640 10/05/20 07:29 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
I'm really becoming a Stefanski fan. I don't know what he's doing in the locker room, but he has this team all rowing in the same direction. We are starting to see a high level of execution. FINALLY. Fewer penaties. More takeaways than giveaways. And you can see how he schemes for each team, instead of sticking to a single scheme and consequenqes be damned. The ability to run and pass, with an effective TE game gives him the ability to attack other teams' weaknesses. And he uses that to advantage. It's fun to see a coach actually coach.

OMG, this is soooo worthy of re-posting.

Agreed which is why I'll lead my post off with it as well! thumbsup

Prior to the season started I mentioned that what I was looking for from Stefanski was a more complete game plan. Not just a scripted 1st drive. I hoped for a scheme where they had clear goals about what they wanted to accomplish. In response I got a number of the old adages about how all plans go to crap the moment the first bullet flies or you get hit in the face. I think a lot of people missed the point and don't fully understand those adages. Getting hit in the face doesn't mean you flush your plan and toss your goals out the window. It doesn't automatically mean you have to change tactics although you should be ready to if need be. It doesn't mean the answers you had prepared are useless, it just means you have to find your answers on the fly.

That is what I meant.

That is what we are seeing 4 weeks in.

Freddie planned for 1 drive then that was it.

Hue had a more complete game plan, but being rather straight forward he was playing checkers. When you try to get too smart in checkers, that's about the time the 7yr old across from you gets triple kinged.

Stefanski is playing chess and playing it well. There is plenty analysis out there over the last couple weeks showing how the play calling early in the game (and arguably from week to week) sets up plays later on. So far I think he's been doing a really good job of recognizing those moments to spring those attacks. I don't know if he has that good of a feel for that, or if some of DePo's boys are flagging those trends, but whatever it is, I hope they can keep it up.

As for this game... I could only listen to it and watch the official highlights later last night.

-OBJ with the hat trick... friggin awesome!

-RBs... who knew our stable was that deep!

-OLine... too busy kickin azz to take names

-Myles... dude is a machine

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend

That is a snarky comment.

I never said that the first four games don't count in the evaluation.

I said it would take four games for the team to begin to gel because of reduced practice time. I am glad that they are early.

But go ahead make the remark.

Swish #1801645 10/05/20 07:40 AM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Woke up this morning, and am here to remind my fellow brothers and sisters THAT WE’RE 3-1!!!!!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1801647 10/05/20 07:51 AM
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Another thing I want to mention:

I thought Woods called a good game for the defense, though the 4th quarter was shaky. Not his fault though that we had multiple chances to put the game away with a pick and just couldn't hold on until Ward made an outstanding play (he gets knocked for being injured a lot, but Ward can really play).

I also liked the play where we sent a double corner blitz from the same side, and the Dallas O-line was completely confused blocking 5 vs our 2 down lineman.

I think teams get so used to the Browns just rushing 4 down lineman all the time, that little wrinkles like that can be very effective. I hope to see more as they learn the defense.

Also, to all the people that wanted MG to just line up at RDE every play, what do you think now?

I personally think it is very smart to move him around the line. Not only can you dictate mismatches, but I think it can help the defense diagnosis the play before the snap.

The 2nd half, Dallas was chipping MG with a TE or RB pretty much every pass play. Didn't matter then because we knew they were going to be passing pretty much every play, but when you see the QB motioning the TE or RB over to MG's side, it's almost a dead giveaway that it's going to be a pass.

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 10/05/20 07:57 AM.
EveDawg #1801648 10/05/20 08:01 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Can we have John Dorsey back? He built this team and doesnt deserved to be lost in the shuffle of outgoing staff.

I'll take Berry and Stefanski any day.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mulliganvi #1801650 10/05/20 08:03 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mulliganvi
It was great to see us finish the half, with points (even if 3) and 0 time on the clock. Great clock management.

No kidding. It seems like the best prop bet for the last 20 years is that whoever is playing the Browns would score points with less than 30 seconds remaining in the 1st half. Nice to see us do it for a change.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Rishuz #1801651 10/05/20 08:11 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
No, Baker Mayfield gave us Freddie Kitchens. Dorsey tried to everything he could to help Baker succeed.

If he tried to do everything he could to help Baker succeed he wouldn't have hired Freddie Kitchens.

Exactly. Dorsey wanted to have a head coach under his thumb.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawgs4Life #1801652 10/05/20 08:14 AM
Rookie
Rookie
From working in physical therapy, a valgus force trauma (outside to in) usually results in a sprained/torn MCL. Hopefully that's what it is, and the seriousness of the tear isn't too bad. A minor tear could set him back 2-4 weeks, while a more serious one could be 6-8 weeks. Of course other factors come into play, like how fast of a healer he is, how cautious the team Dr.'s want to be, etc.

Swish #1801658 10/05/20 08:35 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would think folks would want to discuss the Defense .. it has given up 126 point's. in 4 games ..average 31 per game. Prescott completed almost 200 yards to his TE's ans RB's .. We get gutted over the middle game after game.
Team knew he would have to get pass happy the second half . Rush four ans dropped 7 , and he still threw for 500 yards.( game total ).. there was very little pressure on Dax in the second half. He dropped back like 50 times and we got to him three times .. I understand some of the talent situation but do some of you want to comment on Scheme ??

Chadillac #1801659 10/05/20 08:36 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Chadillac
From working in physical therapy, a valgus force trauma (outside to in) usually results in a sprained/torn MCL. Hopefully that's what it is, and the seriousness of the tear isn't too bad. A minor tear could set him back 2-4 weeks, while a more serious one could be 6-8 weeks. Of course other factors come into play, like how fast of a healer he is, how cautious the team Dr.'s want to be, etc.
thanks for the info. I remember tearing my MCL as a player in college and feeling sick to my stomach when they “tested” it and it opened right up. I was out for about 3 months.

Hopefully his is just a sprain and he’s out a few weeks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Ballpeen #1801665 10/05/20 08:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
What is this obsession w/the Dorsey/Berry thing. I know a lot of you whined for two straight years about Sashi being fired and criticized Dorsey all the time...…….but, no one is trashing Berry and wanting Dorsey to come back.

It's over.

Swish #1801667 10/05/20 08:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
huge shoutout to Johnson. really stepped up with chubb out and Hunt too banged up.

and HUGE SHOUTOUT to our offensive line. not only did they dominate the LoS, but they kept baker clean the entire game.

Don't forget Hilliard.. He was pretty good also

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
waterdawg #1801669 10/05/20 08:55 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I would think folks would want to discuss the Defense

I talked about the D in my first post. Not sure why so many our discussing Dorsey?

I thought the D played their best game yesterday. Dallas has a lot of talent on offense. They are much better than Washington and Cinci.

I thought our pass rush was disruptive. I will admit that their OL was banged-up, but our front four pressured Dak.

I also thought that Dak made some incredibly precise throws. Additionally, I thought we were in position to make some picks, but missed them either to a bad angle or an unreal throw.

I do worry about our safeties and LBers in coverage. They're slow and don't cover much ground.

Did Kevin Johnson play much yesterday? I'd like to see him in there. Also, Greedy should help. I do wish we would have kept Schobert and signed a better FS.

lampdogg #1801674 10/05/20 09:20 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Running it burns timeouts, though.

So do completions.

I don’t want to argue about it. We bled clock, forced them to use timeouts. I do get your point though, so don’t think I’m oblivious to it.

I don't think we bled the clock so much as we bled our lead and it ended up holding out.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
EveDawg #1801675 10/05/20 09:22 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: jaybird

He also gave us Freddie Kitchens....

So let him know he doesnt make decisions on coaches.

... which is (allegedly) what we did, and he quit.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
[quote]
Not sure why so many our discussing Dorsey?

rofl

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I read that Kevin Johnson dressed but didn't get any snaps. Weird.

And how in the world can Redwine be worse than Sendejo. I thought Redwine flashed some last year.

oobernoober #1801678 10/05/20 09:33 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns are 3 and 1. Can we please discuss the game?

Rishuz #1801679 10/05/20 09:34 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Rishuz #1801680 10/05/20 09:35 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V

And how in the world can Redwine be worse than Sendejo. I thought Redwine flashed some last year.

Thanks. I thought KJ played pretty good last week in his first game back. I think he would help against teams that have a good passing attack like the Cowboys.

Not sure about Redwine. We'll need to upgrade the FS position next off-season.

Rishuz #1801681 10/05/20 09:37 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

You're correct. Zero snaps for Johnson.

Swish #1801682 10/05/20 09:37 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hope Chubb is ok. I was actually hoping it was his ankle, because Chubb's knee hasn't been pretty (his college injury came up and I'll just say go ahead and look at it if you want to hurl). Chubb out with Hunt dinged really really sucks. Good thing our Oline can play AMAZING.
Also, Ogunjobi going in for an MRI is probably as bad as Chubb (maybe worse). Dline is probably the only thing we have going for us on D, and if that unit gets banged up, then we're REALLY in trouble when the other team has the ball. Larry out and Richardson dinged is REALLY bad news. Interior goes back to being a gaping hole.

Everyone covered everything well. I want to talk about Stefanski. I was thinking about something when I was listening to the game. Where are all of the dumb procedural penalties we're used to seeing? You all know what I'm talking about. Browns are notorious for coming out of the gate and looking like they don't know any of the rules. Combine that with short/no offseason and new offense, but somehow we actually know what we're doing out there.

And playcalling... I'm actually not as over the moon as most. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving how we're looking right now, and KS is a big part of that. But the critic in me has a voice. It saw that OBJ run at the end of the game and was shouting 'lucky' instead of great call. The Dallas defender had that play blown up and missed (OBJ is also a beast, btw). The line between 'great playcall' and 'what a clown' is razor thin. Difference seems to be execution. Is player execution where KS earns his gold star?
I'm also curious how our offense went from unstoppable to auto-3nout so quickly. Dallas adjustments only go so far in explaining that one.

Last edited by oobernoober; 10/05/20 09:38 AM.

-PrplPplEater
Milk Man #1801683 10/05/20 09:41 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Wow! 96.7?!? That is incredible!

My son, daughter and her fiancé were over to watch the game yesterday. My daughter made some comments about how number 77 was blowing guys up on some plays. The guy has been outstanding this season. Heck, the entire OL has been great.

And Myles makes game-changing plays week-in and week-out.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The Browns are 3 and 1. Can we please discuss the game?
Am I getting a ticket, or are you letting me off with a warning?

I responded to a post (in a manner that attempting to end that convo). You have more posts about Dorsey in this thread than I do (but law enforcement does usually have greater latitude in enforcing rules).

Won't happen again, officer.

-PrplPplEater
Milk Man #1801685 10/05/20 09:45 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Seems strange that Kevin Johnson did not play.

Milk Man #1801686 10/05/20 09:45 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

C
Legend
Legend
C
We did draft a better safety, Delpit.

Milk Man #1801689 10/05/20 09:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Those are impressive stats.

Other than win/loss percentage, I think turnover differential is the most important stat in football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Those are impressive stats.

Other than win/loss percentage, I think turnover differential is the most important stat in football.

I agree. Both impressive and important stats. Those are the stats of winners. thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
bonefish #1801693 10/05/20 10:12 AM
Legend
Legend
Damn it feels good to wake up and be
3-1.

Talking with my son before the game both of us felt turnovers would tell the story.

Felt the offenses would neutralize each other. And that our defense had the better chance to make something happen.

The strip sack by Myles was huge. Then the fumble by Zeke. We turn that into endzone 14 points.

We had some other chances for turnovers. Two int's were right there.

But putting up 49 points. Wow. The OL we have is something else. What an asset. Callahan gets major props. When you walk on the field and know you're OL will dominate that is a big plus.

Defense was stellar till it wasn't. But it will help to learn from. Safety is a problem. Linebackers are still a problem. However, I think we can get better with what we have. This is a new scheme and they have not played together long. I hope Greedy can return this week.

Next two games. The Colts are not as good as the Cowpokes on offense. They are better on defense. This is a game that we should win by playing our game. The template of the last three games.

Then comes the Steelers. That should be a war. Great defensive team. They will find out about the changes on our OL.

Still respect Ben. But I don't think they have the offensive weapons we have. But all that goes out the window in a division game. Both teams will be jacked up. Both hungry to prove themselves. Both wanting to stomp the other.

It will be a throwback game to when there was a real rivalry. I will be over the top nervous before that game.

oobernoober #1801694 10/05/20 10:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
It saw that OBJ run at the end of the game and was shouting 'lucky' instead of great call. The Dallas defender had that play blown up and missed (OBJ is also a beast, btw). The line between 'great playcall' and 'what a clown' is razor thin. Difference seems to be execution. Is player execution where KS earns his gold star?

Could not agree more. Gold star is because you have the guts to make the call, but what a potential recipe for disaster! If Beckham gets tackled where there was contact, you're snapping a 2nd and 23 ball at just under 3:00.

If that happened -- and we lose that game -- can you imagine what we'd be reading today?

"Game on the line and our new coach dials up a Freddie Kitchens play... this franchise is cursed!"
"Browns can STILL find new ways to lose -- now giving up the biggest lead in NFL history!"

Razor thin is right. Hey, at the end of the day, great players make great plays. That happened yesterday, doesn't happen every day.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1801697 10/05/20 10:33 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
but what a potential recipe for disaster! If Beckham gets tackled where there was contact, you're snapping a 2nd and 23 ball at just under 3:00.

If that happened -- and we lose that game -- can you imagine what we'd be reading today?

That is a good point. It could have gotten ugly fast.

I have two comments to add on to what you are saying.

1. I think what OBJ did on that play is why people say that it is important to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. There was a lot of talk about the Browns forcing the ball to OBJ last year and even this year, but there are reasons why guys like J.Jones, Hopkins, etc get a ton of targets/touches. I like what Stefanski did yesterday in finding different ways to get OBJ the ball.

2. There are going to be times when Baker is going to have make big plays in similar situations. He hasn't been very good in those situations thus far. Hopefully, he can be up for the challenge.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 49 Cowboys 38 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard