Legend
M
Quote:
Damn it feels good to wake up and be
3-1.

YES IT DOES !!! nanner ...JUST WIN...

...win pretty or ugly...

...THEY ALL COUNT... thumbsup ...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
oobernoober #1801699 10/05/20 10:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The line between 'great playcall' and 'what a clown' is razor thin. Difference seems to be execution.

It always has been. The degree to which playcalling gets talked about has ALWAYS been completely overblown.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1801700 10/05/20 10:41 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I wasn't overly upset at the comeback. A lot of those yards came against a Prevent D. And we are talking about the Dallas Offense which has been the best O in Football. The D was getting tired too, especially the pass rush, due to the lack of depth. I actually blame the O more than the D for the comeback. If the O did their job in the 4th...we may have only given up 8 points instead of 24. And holding Dallas to between 14-22 points "would have" been extremely impressive. And it was possible even with our D.

I understand that we were practically running at will, so it is understandable to keep the ball on the ground. But the important thing was to take time off the clock. And you do that by making first downs. And even the Dallas D can lock in on an opposing Offense if that O is going to be single minded.

We may need to understand that we are very similar to Dallas with a little better Defense.

Baker missed that pass to OBJ...but overall was efficient. Had some great throws as well. and most importantly...no INT's

Game ball to D'Ernest Johnson. Easy to see why they kept him over Dontrell Hilliard, who also had a good day.

The Browns have done the past 3 weeks what we have been waiting 20 years for them to do. When the chips are down, they are not flinching. Past Browns team would have said..."here we go again". But not this team. They believe they can find a way to win.

This growth is what I have been waiting for for some time. Every coach we have had kept talking about growing from game to game....But this team is ACTUALLY DOING IT....They have been taking the steps that have to be made to become a great team.

They have a ways to go...but my impressions have been that there is no reason they can't keep making those steps...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
PETE314 #1801701 10/05/20 10:45 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have a question. I have seen a few posts talking about being in a prevent defense. Has that been verified?

It's hard to see the alignment on TV, but it didn't look like a true Prevent defense to me. I think we were playing a soft zone, but that would make sense when you have such a large lead.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fair question.

I think people are figuring it was a prevent D because Dallas was able to move as if it were. It may have been a soft zone.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1801704 10/05/20 10:59 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Finally...OBJ performing like and acting like "A TEAM PLAYER " !!!

Hats off to Stafanski and his staff for a job well done.

Keep it up, OBJ...!!...you are looking like the best "ALL AROUND WR IN THE NFL"

Football is "a team sport" and can be reduced to the basics...BLOCKING AND TACKLING ! grin

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Swish #1801705 10/05/20 11:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Teller is an absolute animal the first 4 games

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Why must you backpedal or distract when someone points out your opinion was wrong?

FATE #1801707 10/05/20 11:07 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: FATE
It saw that OBJ run at the end of the game and was shouting 'lucky' instead of great call. The Dallas defender had that play blown up and missed (OBJ is also a beast, btw). The line between 'great playcall' and 'what a clown' is razor thin. Difference seems to be execution. Is player execution where KS earns his gold star?

Could not agree more. Gold star is because you have the guts to make the call, but what a potential recipe for disaster! If Beckham gets tackled where there was contact, you're snapping a 2nd and 23 ball at just under 3:00.

If that happened -- and we lose that game -- can you imagine what we'd be reading today?

"Game on the line and our new coach dials up a Freddie Kitchens play... this franchise is cursed!"
"Browns can STILL find new ways to lose -- now giving up the biggest lead in NFL history!"

Razor thin is right. Hey, at the end of the day, great players make great plays. That happened yesterday, doesn't happen every day.

Personally I'm shading more toward "great call" than a "lucky call" if for no other reason than there's nothing about how this offense has been run the last 3 weeks that appears to have been attempted without a purpose. It didn't strike me as having run out of ideas.

Of course I do reserve the right to be completely wrong in my assessment and be found to be unjustifiably confident.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/Fate that that particular play could have backfired. OBJ bailed him out.

However, one call does not tell the entire story. I was skeptical about Stefanski when we hired him, but I have to say this:

I have been impressed w/his overall play calling and schemes. I think he has a good run scheme and is taking advantage of a strength.

I have been impressed w/how he has been able to cut down on Baker's responsibility and subsequent mistakes. I also like how he has rolled Baker out at times which makes his reads easier.

I also have been impressed w/the team's overall discipline and preparedness. We are not nearly as sloppy as last year and are playing more focused.

I want to throw out another shout-out to Callahan. This OL has been absolutely fantastic. He almost certainly been a huge factor in that. I also have always loved the ZBS. It's more complicated than man blocking, but I think it is very effective. You need smart players to run it well and it appears we have that.

Evaluating the coaching staff is an ongoing thing, but I am pleasantly pleased w/what I have seen thus far.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
It saw that OBJ run at the end of the game and was shouting 'lucky' instead of great call. The Dallas defender had that play blown up and missed (OBJ is also a beast, btw). The line between 'great playcall' and 'what a clown' is razor thin. Difference seems to be execution. Is player execution where KS earns his gold star?

Could not agree more. Gold star is because you have the guts to make the call, but what a potential recipe for disaster! If Beckham gets tackled where there was contact, you're snapping a 2nd and 23 ball at just under 3:00.

If that happened -- and we lose that game -- can you imagine what we'd be reading today?

"Game on the line and our new coach dials up a Freddie Kitchens play... this franchise is cursed!"
"Browns can STILL find new ways to lose -- now giving up the biggest lead in NFL history!"

Razor thin is right. Hey, at the end of the day, great players make great plays. That happened yesterday, doesn't happen every day.

Personally I'm shading more toward "great call" than a "lucky call" if for no other reason than there's nothing about how this offense has been run the last 3 weeks that appears to have been attempted without a purpose. It didn't strike me as having run out of ideas.

Of course I do reserve the right to be completely wrong in my assessment and be found to be unjustifiably confident.

Let me put it a different way (because I really hate sounding like a wet blanket after a win).
The Landry to OBJ TD... I was thinking to myself "man, Stefanski has brass you-know-whats to dial up that play". Execution was there and worked to perfection to start our steamroll of the Dallas D. Then fast-forward to the end of the game, and our offense (while still doing some things) was overall very ineffective. We were NOT bleeding clock (we had one drive that bled off a whopping 15 seconds). We were bleeding our lead hoping the clock would hit 0 before we lost it. Obviously, I'm happy that the OBJ run worked, but it was really close to not working, and would've been the cherry on top of an offensive meltdown. The D is what it is, it's the production out of the O that was most troubling at the end of the game. IMO, our D is missing a player or 2 on the backend, and could very easily be one of those not-great-but-opportunistic D's that have ended up working out well for teams that have a strong offense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I have a question. I have seen a few posts talking about being in a prevent defense. Has that been verified?

It's hard to see the alignment on TV, but it didn't look like a true Prevent defense to me. I think we were playing a soft zone, but that would make sense when you have such a large lead.

While radio guys said the secondary "was focused on keeping everything in front of them", I'm pretty sure I heard we had dialed up a few blitzes at the end of the game. Doesn't sound like full-on prevent to me.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I want to throw out another shout-out to Callahan. This OL has been absolutely fantastic. He almost certainly been a huge factor in that. I also have always loved the ZBS. It's more complicated than man blocking, but I think it is very effective. You need smart players to run it well and it appears we have that.

Definitely one of the best in the business, we're lucky to have him. I think he deserves some credit for Teller's improvement. And hell even Hubbard hasn't played bad when he's been in.

Swish #1801717 10/05/20 11:32 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
This OL reminds me of the OL that protected Bernie and run blocked for Mack and Byner in the 80's ... LT - Paul Farren LG - Larry Williams C Mike Baab RG Dan Fike RT Codey Risen ... That was a great OL and so is this one smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
We ran the same end around earlier in the game for a big gain.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Did Kevin Johnson play much yesterday? I'd like to see him in there. Also, Greedy should help.

Not sure what's going on with the snap counts that were linked. I distinctly remember Kevin Johnson being the guy that got chucked into DPJ as he caught the punt on the one return. I commented in the Discord that the awkward collision probably wasn't good for his liver. Thought I saw 28 on a couple defensive snaps as well, though nothing that really stood out.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Swish #1801731 10/05/20 11:49 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The dropped interceptions drove me nuts throughout the game, but I will say that our D coaches are doing the most with what they have to work with. But Sendejo has been a real disappointment. I hope Harrison can come back from his pre-game hammy real quick. And Mitchell and Phillips are really coming on.

Bull_Dawg #1801732 10/05/20 11:58 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Not sure what's going on with the snap counts that were linked. I distinctly remember Kevin Johnson being the guy that got chucked into DPJ as he caught the punt on the one return.

Eagle eye award!...

Swish #1801737 10/05/20 12:06 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just a couple of comments about the running game. Chubb gave a training session of how good a RB he actually is last year. The RG and both OT's were not something one could call good. Actually both OT's played poorly and the RG position was barely adequate. Teller wasn't the same player he is now.

Callahan certainly deserves a lot of credit for getting this group in shape. Maybe even more than some realize. You see, as great as Chubb is and and as much as we all wish him a speedy return and recovery, what we saw yesterday is that with a great OL, you can produce in the running game by "inserting RB here". We had third and fourth string RB's looking great.

They're not Chubb. They never will be. But with a truly great OL you can still produce in the running game and win.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #1801750 10/05/20 12:20 PM
Legend
Legend

The Offensive Line is so impressive.

Wills hand placement and punch. Teller has gone monster on us. He has been jumping off the page since the first game.

From an offensive standpoint this makes execution of game plan strategy a lot easier.

Baker left a few plays out there. But he was efficient.
Some mental growth when you throw the ball away instead of trying to make a high risk play.

Very encouraging to see team growth. KS deserves the praise that he and his staff is getting.

We are building on something here and I sure hope it continues.

bonefish #1801753 10/05/20 12:27 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1801754 10/05/20 12:31 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I briefly forgot Njoku was on this team.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1801763 10/05/20 12:53 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
- Sendejo needs to be benched. WTF was he thinking on the play where he gave up a TD? Go for the ball or go for the hit. Don't go for Denzel Ward.

- Harrison made an excellent play on the ball, but couldn't reel it in

- Baker was up and down

- Hate to see Chubb get hurt

- Joseph made a bone-headed decision when he went for a hit on the TE rather than wrapping him up to keep the clock running. This allowed the TD during Dallas' 4Q drive.

- Glad to see backup RBs playing well

- Excellent offensive playcalling in the red zone

- Glad to have a win

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Milk Man #1801765 10/05/20 12:54 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
What does we'll see how it goes mean?

Lol...talk about vague.

Swish #1801768 10/05/20 01:01 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Side note: is it just me or does Mike McCarthy have trouble effectively using a runningback?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Swish #1801773 10/05/20 01:03 PM
Legend
Legend
I hope Larry O is not a significant injury

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I feel this was a great game where Big Players made big plays! What we have watched for years is our stars padding their stats in garbage time, not doing it when it was needed most.

Yesterday. Garret, turned the momentum and game around with the strip sack. Odel, made a play when it was needed. And Denzel, to ice the game!

All big time players, making a plan when it was needed most. Great to see!

Dawgs4Life #1801784 10/05/20 01:20 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I hope Larry O is not a significant injury

Apparently a strained oblique. MLB pitchers and hitters miss 6-8 weeks with that injury, so I'd guess Larry will miss a game, maybe two. Football players are a different breed when it comes to playing hurt.

dawglover05 #1801788 10/05/20 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Side note: is it just me or does Mike McCarthy have trouble effectively using a runningback?

Zeke says yes....

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

WooferDawg #1801798 10/05/20 01:41 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c

fun thought this morning:

Yesterday, CLE scored 49 points in one hour. Browns have had seasons where it took 3 entire games to reach 49 points.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Swish #1801802 10/05/20 01:46 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Baldy doing a cute breakdown on the TD party the Browns had on Dallas.

Love the call out to Baker for blocking on the first TD...

Milk Man #1801805 10/05/20 01:52 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Njoku > Hooper

** ducks **

Tackles are tackles.
oobernoober #1801812 10/05/20 02:03 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Let me put it a different way (because I really hate sounding like a wet blanket after a win).
The Landry to OBJ TD... I was thinking to myself "man, Stefanski has brass you-know-whats to dial up that play". Execution was there and worked to perfection to start our steamroll of the Dallas D. Then fast-forward to the end of the game, and our offense (while still doing some things) was overall very ineffective. We were NOT bleeding clock (we had one drive that bled off a whopping 15 seconds). We were bleeding our lead hoping the clock would hit 0 before we lost it. Obviously, I'm happy that the OBJ run worked, but it was really close to not working, and would've been the cherry on top of an offensive meltdown. The D is what it is, it's the production out of the O that was most troubling at the end of the game. IMO, our D is missing a player or 2 on the backend, and could very easily be one of those not-great-but-opportunistic D's that have ended up working out well for teams that have a strong offense.

I hope no one sees you or anyone else as being a wet blanket for your comments because I don't think you guys are. Stefanski has a few times this year made calls like going for it on a couple 4th downs that made me say "That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off".

I guess for me when I see these plays attempted, I don't see a tam attempting it out of desperation, or trying to be cute, or because we've been backed in to a corner and need a 'spark'.

Wet blanket? Not at all. Just a Browns fan who's seen their fair share of those plays getting called at the worst time and blown up practically before they left the huddle

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Swish #1801848 10/05/20 03:00 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think this was the signature win we were looking for that could help galvanize this team. All our stars got involved and made big plays.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
I think this was the signature win we were looking for that could help galvanize this team. All our stars got involved and made big plays.

We need to follow it up this coming week by not laying an egg. Even if we don't beat the Colts, we need to be in it and holding our own.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1801854 10/05/20 03:12 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. I think letting the Cowboys back in it is something the coaching staff can latch onto this week in preparation for the Colts.

Colts have the #1 D in the league so far. Will be a good test next Sunday for sure.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Swish #1801861 10/05/20 03:21 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
trade Njoku for Myles Jack

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Swish #1801864 10/05/20 03:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I find it ironic that we are 3-1 and in 3rd place. We have a tough division and we have to play the AFC south which, is also a tough division.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
dawglover05 #1801882 10/05/20 03:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
- Sendejo needs to be benched. WTF was he thinking on the play where he gave up a TD?

You're going to have to narrow this down some.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 49 Cowboys 38 Post Game

Link Copied to Clipboard