Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Portland Rioters Topple Lincoln, Roosevelt Statues
[National Review]

,National Review

•October 12, 2020

Rioters toppled statues of former presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln in Portland on Sunday night and smashed the entrance of the Oregon Historical Society during another night of violent riots that demonstrators dubbed the “Day of Rage.”

The Roosevelt statue was reportedly pulled down shortly before 9p.m., and the Lincoln statue in Portland’s South Park Block fell about eight minutes later.

Afterwards, about 200 rioters ventured into other areas of downtown Portland and smashed storefronts. Many wore all black and carried various weapons, including night sticks.

Police declared the activity downtown a riot and ordered demonstrators to disperse. Police cruisers and officers in tactical gear responded to the riots, which were promoted on social media by organizers as the “Indigenous Peoples Day of Rage,” coming as they did the evening before Columbus Day on Monday.

Protests and rioting have been ongoing in Portland since the police custody death of George Floyd in May.

Over the summer, rioters also toppled statues of U.S. presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, both of whom were slaveowners.

Last month, Democratic Governor Kate Brown announced a plan to quell the nightly violence while still allowing peaceful protests, saying state police troopers and officers from several surrounding areas will be called in to assist Portland’s police force. Meanwhile, the FBI and federal prosecutors will commit more resources to prosecute criminal offenses that arise from the demonstrations, she said.

https://news.yahoo.com/portland-protesters-topple-lincoln-roosevelt-123513035.html

Legend
Legend
notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Meanwhile the gop, trump, and his supporters are literly killing US and ripping apart our constitution. What did you expect? A pride march? No justice no peace.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Meanwhile the gop, trump, and his supporters are literly killing US and ripping apart our constitution. What did you expect? A pride march? No justice no peace.

I honestly doubt many of those perpetrating the violence and property damage are doing it for political reasons. I think they are a bunch of opportunistic anarchists. I certainly wouldn't be giving them a pass or making excuses for them. If anything - they have turned many thousands of fringe voters who would have voted Trump out, probably go back and vote for Trump because of the hysteria that some are creating about these incidents.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I honestly doubt many of those perpetrating the violence and property damage are doing it for political reasons. I think they are a bunch of opportunistic anarchists. I certainly wouldn't be giving them a pass or making excuses for them. If anything - they have turned many thousands of fringe voters who would have voted Trump out, probably go back and vote for Trump because of the hysteria that some are creating about these incidents.

I’m not making excuses. What does one expect when trump and his supporters calls up their white supremacy henchmen to stand by?

No justice no peace.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O

I’m not making excuses. What does one expect when trump and his supporters calls up their white supremacy henchmen to stand by?

No justice no peace.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

No justice no peace.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

Hardly. Those destroying crap in riots are committing crimes, those toppling statues are protesting white supremacy/authority throughout American history even if it is a criminal act. And the oppressed or those standing with them are fighting the constant barrage of denigration and condemnation from the right while trying to make their message heard. I'd tear down the whole damn country if you put your foot on the neck of my son and killed him for no damn reason. It could all burn as far as I would be concerned.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Those destroying crap in riots are committing crimes, those toppling statues are protesting white supremacy/authority throughout American history even if it is a criminal act.

So the first group are criminals committing crimes, and the second group aren't criminals that are committing crimes (mind you, according to the article, these two groups are actually the same people, but we'll ignore that for now). I'm not sure the best high-powered microscope would help me see the distinction you're drawing here.

As for the rest of your post... I can't put myself in the hypothetical where something happens to my son and speak rationally on how I would feel, or what I would do... but saying you would burn it all down if something happened to your family sounds more like the way things work in 3rd-world/undeveloped areas of the world. Take your tribal warfare there, I say.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I didn't say that in that way, I said it as a metaphor for how I would feel about being in the situation those families are in and the huge injustice behind cops killing black men over virtually little to nothing. Can't you even imagine how horrible it is to live in a world where you are a target for the color of your skin? Imagine trying to teach your child that lesson and somehow make it acceptable as 'the way it is'... or imagine being a god fearing hard working American who believes as you do about crime and criminality, only to one day find you child had been murdered by a cop in this fashion over a traffic violation! You would damn sure seek justice, and if that justice never came, you would probably take matters into your own hands.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh and the bit about the 3rd world country... we are not far from it at this point. Maybe you haven't noticed the Y'allyban in the streets at the riots and protests... No different than Muslim terrorist organizations.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember when this country condemned the Taliban for destroying history, lmao.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You would damn sure seek justice, and if that justice never came, you would probably take matters into your own hands.

As I said, I can't say what I would think/do in that type of situation. What I can say, is that if everyone who responded to unfair loss in that manner decided they would "burn it all down", well we wouldn't have much still standing by now. Then what? Congrats, you got your pound of flesh... but watch out for the next guy who you wronged while you were getting your 'justice'.

We are closer to that dystopia than ever, but some are closer than others.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's how you can tell the sanity from the insanity that exists on both sides. There are certainly fringe elements to both sides.

Biden calls for an end to the violence. Calls for the arrest and prosecution of those committing these criminal acts. He has done so over and over again.

Extremists exist within the ranks of both parties. Both sides of it need to be called out by every American. Trying to draw political lines to blame it all on one side or the other is what has gotten us to where we are now. Trying to portray that the majority of either side promotes things like armed militias storming a state house or that all protestors promote violence on our streets are simply false and further the divide.

I agree with the vast majority of the protestors who are peaceful and call for justice reform. I'm as tired as they are of watching people be killed for things that certainly do not call for the death penalty. I'll repeat what I've said before.....

The statutes and punishment for resisting arrest do not call for the death penalty anywhere in our nation. Never has and never will. When the police on the street feel they have more power than the court system and hand out such punishment on our citizens, it is they who should be held accountable. It makes those officers who do this a criminal. There should always be just cause to pull someone over. I could go on but you get my sentiment here.

But when you somehow think criminal behavior is justified, you are no better than those you protest against. We should hold everyone accountable to the same standards without excuse. If everyone permitted their emotions to dictate their actions, the crime rate in our country would explode. And it would come from both sides.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Free speech rally attacked by counter-protesters in San Francisco

By Tamar Lapin and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

October 18, 2020

A free speech rally organized by conservative activists in San Francisco quickly devolved into chaos and was immediately canceled Saturday when more than a hundred counter-protesters showed up and attacked those gathered.

Right-wing group Team Save America planned the rally to protest Twitter, charging that the social media giant squelches conservative speech after it censored The Post’s exposé on Hunter Biden’s emails.

Counter-demonstrators, some wielding plastic water bottles and glass bottles, surged the area around the city’s United Nations Plaza ahead of the event’s 1 p.m. start time.

Philip Anderson, an organizer of the event, was seen getting punched in the face before the rally could start in a video posted on social media.

A crowd of counter-protesters could be heard yelling at him to “get the delete out.”

Anderson posted a graphic photo of his bloody mouth — which showed one of his front teeth missing and a second tooth barely hanging on — on Twitter, writing that, “Antifa attacked me for no reason.”

Anderson also posted footage of the attack, which shows him walking with his arm around another man when his attacker, clad entirely in black, leaps forward and punches him in the side of the face.

The two exchange words before he hits Anderson a second time, hitting him with a left and knocking out his tooth.

A photographer working for The Associated Press witnessed a supporter of President Trump being taken away in an ambulance and a San Francisco police officer injured on the ground near the plaza.

The event was canceled, though both sides stuck around in the area into the late afternoon. Anderson had also planned a protest against big tech outside of Twitter’s headquarters, according to NBC Bay Area.

The San Francisco Police Department said three cops suffered minor injuries when they were assaulted with pepper spray and caustic chemicals. One officer was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

No arrests were made.

Anderson slammed the counter-protesters as hypocrites and said they are the reason why he’s voting for Trump.

“I love America, I love this country and I love free speech,” he said.

Meanwhile, a supporter of Anderson’s launched a GoFundMe page “to help with fixing his teeth after they were knocked out.”

The page had raised more than $23,000 by Sunday afternoon.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/18/san-francisco-free-speech-rally-attacked-by-counter-protestors/

Legend
Legend
These people were did wrong.

Wrong is wrong.
Period.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Finally liberals playing the same game as trump supporters KKK and white supremacy Groups. No justice no peace.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
So you support what happened in SF?

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Watch: Protesters Assault Reporter Filming BLM Looting in Philadelphia

Elijah BLM Assault
Screenshot Twitter @@ElijahSchaffer
Ildefonso Ortiz

27 Oct 2020

A group of protesters assaulted a reporter as he filmed the widespread looting taking place in Philadelphia. The looting took place during the second night of Black Lives Matters protests over the shooting death of a knife-wielding assailant by police.

On Tuesday night, Elijah Schaffer, a journalist with The Blaze recorded some of the widespread lootings taking place in Philadelphia. As he entered a discount store, dozens of masked rioters were in the process of looting. He became the target of a violent assault as looters demand he stop recording their criminal activity.

“Hey Bro stop recording,” several men shouted before surrounding Schaffer and attacking him. Shelby Talcott from the Daily Caller captured the assault on video.

Mass looting across the river and @ElijahSchaffer just got beaten up for filming. This is inside the Five Below store. Police are in the same parking lot near the Walmart, but there seem to be too many looters pic.twitter.com/CZeIiMokJa

— Shelby Talcott (@ShelbyTalcott) October 28, 2020

After the attack, a bloodied Schaffer posted a video on Twitter telling his side of the story. Schaffer claimed he had been recording the looting in multiple stores when the looters turned on him. The journalist claimed that he would likely need stitches as he sowed some of his injuries.

BREAKING: I was jumped by BLM rioters while they were looting more than a dozen stores,

including Wal-Matt, T-Mobile, & 5-below

Though in pain, I didn’t stop reporting because

Americans need to see what the corporate media refuses to show
pic.twitter.com/VI5hl8uV3C

— ELIJAH SCHAFFER (@ElijahSchaffer) October 28, 2020

The widespread rioting and looting in Philadelphia is tied to the recent shooting of Walter Wallace, Jr. who chased police officers with a knife forcing two police officers to fire at him. Despite efforts by police to save him, Wallace died shortly after at a local hospital. As Breitbart News reported, on Monday, protesters turned violent in a series of riots that sent more than 30 police officers to the hospital, including one female sergeant who was struck by a truck driven into a line of police.

https://www.breitbart.com/law-and-order/...n-philadelphia/

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Dozens of people arrested, 30 police officers injured as tensions erupt in West Philly following fatal police-involved shooting

30 police officers injured as tensions erupt in West Philadelphia following fatal police-involved shooting
PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- At least 90 people have been arrested and at least 30 police officers have been injured as tensions erupted in West Philadelphia after police shot and killed a man armed with a knife, according to officials.

Authorities said officers confronted Walter Wallace on Monday afternoon. Police said Wallace was shot multiple times by two officers after he didn't adhere to calls to drop the weapon. He was later pronounced dead.

Walter Wallace

Officials said most of the injuries to officers that occurred overnight are reported to be the result of being struck by projectiles, such as bricks and rocks.

One officer, however, a 56-year-old Philadelphia Police Sergeant, was struck by a pickup truck in the area of 52nd and Walnut streets around 12:45 a.m. Tuesday. Officials said she sustained a broken leg and various other injuries. She has been admitted to the hospital in stable condition.

Neighbors, business owners frustrated after night of unrest in West Philadelphia

The 29 other officers have reportedly been treated and released from area hospitals.

Looting was captured on on video Tuesday morning. Chopper 6 was overhead as people could be seen running from a Foot Locker store.

A Foot Locker is looted in the aftermath of the fatal shooting of Walter Wallace in West Philadelphia who police say would not drop his knife.

The shooting of Wallace happened around 3:50 p.m. Monday when officers responded to a domestic call along the 6100 block of Locust Street.

READ MORE: 'Put the knife down': Man shot, killed by police in West Philadelphia

Police shot and killed a man on a West Philadelphia street Monday afternoon after yelling at him to drop his knife.

Wallace was allegedly brandishing a knife and officers repeating "Put the knife down, put the knife down," can be heard in video recorded at the scene.

The names of the officers who fired the shots have not been disclosed. Police said both officers were wearing body cameras and were taken off street duty pending the investigation.
Hours after the shooting, a group broke windows and vandalized vehicles along 52nd and Pine streets in West Philadelphia.

The group is also believed to be responsible for broken windows at a number of buildings in University City, including a police station and a Starbucks.

In West Philadelphia, dumpsters were set on fire as police struggled to contain the crowds late Monday night. More than a dozen officers, many with batons in hand, formed a line as they ran down 52nd Street chasing protesters away from the main thoroughfare.

Destruction is being reported in Philadelphia after police shoot and kill a man on Monday afternoon.

As of Tuesday afternoon, police said dozens of people have been arrested in connection to the overnight unrest including:

- 3 people arrested for failure to disperse
- 11 people arrested for assault on police
- 76 people arrested for burglary, including 3 with guns

More than 30 detained, 30 officers injured after unrest in West Philadelphia overnight following a fatatl police-involved shooting

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said the shooting video raises questions, but she assured the community that a full investigation is underway.

"I have directed the Officer Involved Shooting Investigation Unit to begin its investigation. I recognize that the video of the incident raises many questions. Residents have my assurance that those questions will be fully addressed by the investigation. While at the scene this evening, I heard and felt the anger of the community. Everyone involved will forever be impacted. I will be leaning on what the investigation gleans to answer the many unanswered questions that exist. I also plan to join the Mayor in meeting with members of the community and members of Mr. Wallace's family to hear their concerns as soon as it can be scheduled."

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-vandalism-walter-wallace-west-philly-shooting-police/7376268/

Legend
Legend
Heaven forbid we focus one nano second on why they are rioting in the streets. Heaven forbid we actually spend a little money time and effort to bring equality for all in our cities.

No Justice no peace. Black lives matter.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If they think this is bad, they really don't want to see what will happen if Trump steals another election...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If they think this is bad, they really don't want to see what will happen if Trump steals another election...

Bring it on. Maybe its time for Americans to stand up to these criminals.

O
Legend
Legend
O
No Justice no peace. Black lives matter.

So we ignore the rioting?
This type of response to a reporter getting beat up covering looting during a BLM protest is why right-wingers aren't unsuccessful in tying the rioting to the movement.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

That's exactly what 'Americans' are doing.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/28/20 09:32 AM.

V
Legend
Legend
V

And there you have it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

So if Trump steals the election, it's the other side you claim would be the criminals? Only in Trumplandia.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Those are all disguised right wingers trying to make antifa and blm look bad.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Police say van containing explosives found in Philadelphia

By Kenneth Garger

October 29, 2020 | 1:07am | Updated

#BREAKING : Phila Police discover van loaded with explosives, suspicious equipment at Logan Circle in Center City. Live report coming up at 11. @6abc pic.twitter.com/GWhMjR7D04

— Dann Cuellar (@DannCuellar) October 29, 2020

A van containing explosives was found in Philadelphia on Wednesday night, as the city remains on high alert over days of unrest stemming from the police shooting death of Walter Wallace Jr., according to a report.

The van was found at Logan Circle in the Center City neighborhood, WPVI reported. Police told the outlet they recovered propane tanks and torches.

A film crew with the outlet captured what appeared to be sticks of dynamite.

Philadelphia the past two nights has grappled with violent protests over the death of Wallace, who, according to police, was armed with a knife that he refused to drop when he was shot on Monday.

The unrest, which also included looting, prompted the city’s mayor to call in the state’s national guard, who are expected to arrive later this week.

Police fired 14 shots at Wallace, though police have not said how many times he was hit.

The officers involved in the killing have been taken off the street as the shooting is investigated.

On Wednesday, Philadelphia police commissioner Danielle Outlaw said the department will release bodycam footage and the audio of 911 calls made in connection to the fatal shooting.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/29/van-containing-explosives-found-in-philadelphia-police-say/

Legend
Legend
You can expect protests in Louisville KY This weekend. The officer that murdered B. Taylor filed a law suit in KY alleging her boy friend was not allowed to defend himself with a legally owned gun. Think about it, a law biding citizen defending himself against intruders with a firearm executing his 2nd amendment right.

You gun touting 2nd amendment wankers should be protesting with them. But you will refuse to. Why? Skin tone. Pfffft trump and his supporters.

No Justice No Peace. Black lives matter.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The one Trump record he doesn’t want you to talk about: An unprecedented number of mass shootings
The Independent
Clare Hill
,The Independent•October 29, 2020

Donald Trump’s campaign has touted a string of records achieved during his administration from employment to the economy to opportunities for black communities

But there’s one record that he would rather keep quiet: The number of mass shootings in America

Nine months after he took office, America recorded its deadliest mass shooting in modern history when 58 people were murdered and 850 injured when a gunman opened fire onto crowds enjoying the Route 91 Harvest music festival on the Las Vegas Strip on October 1 2017.

Just one month later on November 5, residents in Texas were rocked by the state’s worst massacre on record when 26 – mostly children – were shot and killed as worshippers gathered at their regular Sunday church service in Sutherland Springs.

The next year came the deadliest high school shooting on record, when a former student armed with a semi-automatic rifle walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 2018 and murdered 17 students and staff members.

These three record-breaking tragedies – together with the mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, that claimed 23 lives on August 2 2019 – account for four of the most deadly shootings the US has ever seen.

And they all happened under the Trump administration.

Statistics also show the rate of mass shootings has climbed since Trump won the 2016 presidential election.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there were more mass shootings in 2019 than any other year since it started collecting data back in 2013. It shows there were 417 last year, compared to 335 in 2015, the year before Trump won the election.

The FBI does not have a standard definition for a mass shooting and so the nonprofit research group uses the definition of incidents where four or more people are shot or killed excluding the shooter. It does not specify on public places meaning incidents such as domestic and gang-related shootings are also included in the figures.

However, even much more modest data collection points to the same uphill trend.

A database compiled by The Associated Press, USA TODAY and Northeastern University found there were more mass killings in 2019 than any other year going back to the 1970s.

A total of 41 mass killings, defined as when four or more people are killed excluding the perpetrator, took place in the US last year, 33 of which were mass shootings – the highest since 2016 when there were 27.

Mass shooting data from The Violence Project, where four or more people are killed excluding the shooter in a public location such as a school, workplace or church, shows a three-year average of 7.67 mass shootings in 2019 – again the highest on record.

Whichever the definition used, the evidence all points to a surge in mass shootings under Trump.

But does this mean that Trump is to blame?

"There is absolutely 100 percent responsibility on the Trump administration for [the rise in mass shootings],’ says gun control activist Fred Guttenberg, whose 14-year-old daughter Jaime Guttenberg was killed in the Parkland high school shooting.

"They’ve purposely politicized the purpose of having guns inciting people to go out and intimidate other Americans and be violent.

“If Trump is reelected Americans will need to watch out. Gun violence will no doubt increase and will do so with the encouragement of Trump and the Supreme Court.”

James Densley, Cofounder and President of The Violence Project and Professor of Criminal Justice at Metropolitan State University says as well as mass shootings becoming ‘more frequent and deadlier’ in recent years it’s also the motivations behind the shootings that have changed.

“There’s an uptick in the last few years of shootings that have been motivated by religious hatred, by racism and fame seeking,” he says.

“It’s really in the last five years there seems to be a trend for mass shootings driven by these factors and they do seem to speak to the broader trends happening in public discourse and the rise of hate.”

Densley says Trump can be viewed as a ‘symptom’ and a ‘cause’ of such trends.

“When you look at the last five years, Donald Trump is a symptom as much as he is a cause and he is a reflection of the ‘fame-seeking’ cultural phenomenon that is this celebrity-driven, social media-driven culture that normalizes bad behavior - and the mass shootings are an extension of the worst extreme of that.”

A rise in religious hatred and racially motivated mass shootings comes at a time when Trump has pushed an anti-immigration agenda during his administration and has been slammed by the Democrats for fueling racist sentiment among far-right supporters.

And Trump has also pushed for greater freedom for gun owners to exercise their Second Amendment right and to use firearms for self-defense.

His administration loosened regulations on firearms exports, blocked attempts by the Democrats to introduce legislation to expand background checks and increase regulations around gun sales, and ended an Obama-era rule restricting people deemed mentally unable to manage their affairs by the Social Security Administration to buy guns.

During the pandemic, Trump classed gun stores as essential businesses allowing them to stay open while other retailers shuttered under stay-at-home orders.

Gun sales soared during this time, with 1.2 million firearm background checks conducted in the week ending March 22 – the highest number in a single week on record in more than 20 years, according to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which is regarded as the best available indicator for US gun sales.

Trump has found strong allies in pro-gun activists. During his 2016 race for the White House, the National Rifle Association spent $50 million to back him and several Republican Senate candidates. So far this year, it has spent around $21 million.

But it’s “too easy” to say Trump’s anti-immigration stance and gun policies have helped fuel a growth in mass shootings, says Densley.

“It’s hard to draw a direct line to say Trump used racist language and then some guy used racist language therefore Trump motivated him,” he says.

Instead, he says the issue runs “deeper than that” to what he calls the “crisis of legitimacy of American institutions” that Trump has fueled.

“What Trump represents or channels is a crisis in legitimacy for Americas institutions,” he says.

"At the moment there’s a real question mark over how much we can trust our institutions.

"Trump is casting doubt on everyone and everything. His whole platform is that you can’t trust elected politicians, the media, even the Post Office and the election process - he divides states into red and blue, he makes sweeping generalizations of Democrats that they’re trying to take away our rights… he has created a narrative that all American institutions are under real threat, that there’s bias and you can’t trust them.

“Trump has challenged every institution at the heart of democracy and called into question whether everything is legitimate. The bottom line is our institutions are in crisis.”

He adds: “And as we have seen in the past where institutions appear to be failing or we have no faith or trust in them, violence goes up.”

2020 has actually been a quiet year for mass shootings and both Densley and James Allen Fox, author and Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law, and Public Policy at Northeastern University, put much of this down to the coronavirus pandemic.

Fox says there’s a couple of reasons for this: opportunity – ‘"when the nation was locked down we wouldn’t have a mass shooting in a movie theater as the movie theaters were closed" – and what he describes as the “contagion effect”.

“The more we debate and discuss and worry about it, we continue to send a message to alienated individuals that it’s the new normal to pick up a gun and shoot people when they want justice,” he says.

He explains that between 1995 and 2001 there were eight mass school shootings including four in a single school year in 1998, with experts declaring it an epidemic and schools being sent pamphlets on how to spot the warning signs.

Then after the September 11 2001 terrorist attacks there were none for the next four years.

“School shootings were constantly on people’s minds and then after 9/11 people stopped thinking about them and started thinking about Al Qaeda and terrorism. It doesn’t mean school bullying or other issues stopped but when people stopped talking about shootings, some kids stopped seeing picking up a gun as a way to resolve their issues,” he says.

The pandemic has served as a similar distraction in 2020, he says – something he hopes can continue.

Fox adds he would be ‘hard pressed’ to say the Trump administration is to blame for the surge in mass killings in his first term.

And Republicans argue the increase is instead the legacy left by the Obama-Biden administration.

In school shootings in particular, many have pointed the blame at the ‘restorative justice’ discipline programs put in place under Barack Obama.

The 2014 policy urged schools not to suspend, expel or report students to police except as a last resort in order to reduce the school-to-prison pipeline, particularly for black students after it emerged they were disproportionately more likely to face discipline than white students.

Instead, it promoted “restorative” discipline measures and new ways of tackling student behavior that didn’t see law enforcement getting involved.

Broward County Public Schools in Florida, home to Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, was one of the pioneers of the program and boasted of reducing student-related arrests by double-digit figures before the shooting that left 17 dead.

Trump reversed the policy after the Parkland shooting and set up the Federal Commission on School Safety to provide plans of action to improve the safety of students.

Andrew Pollack, father of Meadow Pollack who was killed in the Parkland school shooting, says the Obama-era policies failed his daughter and many others by letting troubled children slip through the cracks in the system and go on to commit atrocities.

“The fact is that with mass shootings there were policies put in place within the public school system that started with Obama and Biden to stop kids being arrested and put them into healing circles,” he says.

"It doesn’t help. It lets troubled kids slip through the cracks in the school district without ever facing law enforcement and this sets things up for more mass shootings - that’s what Biden and Obama did.

“If they slip through the cracks with mental illness or with getting into trouble at an early age or not being held accountable then this is what happens when they get older – kids need accountability to be successful.”

It emerged after the Parkland shooting that there had been several red flags about gunman Nikolas Cruz including allegations he had threatened to shoot up the school, threatened to kill other students and had brought knives and bullets into the school.

“The Democrats don’t see this. They’re blinded and can’t look at the actual facts of what went wrong,” says Pollack.

A big part of the Democrats’ stance is to drive down gun violence and mass shootings by implementing stricter gun controls around ownership and sales.

Biden has a long record with gun control, and has boasted that he took on the NRA and won.

In 1993, as senator, he helped pass the existing background check system for gun ownership and the next year was a key figure in passing the 10-year ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

When he was vice-president and the nation was reeling from the Sandy Hook school shooting, the Obama administration increased the number of records in the background check system and upped funding for mental health services.

However, many of the other plans in the wake of the tragedy – such as universal background checks and bans on semiautomatic rifles and magazines that contained more than 10 bullets - died in the Senate when Republicans voted against them.

Biden is promising a sweeping gun control plan if he wins the election including universal background checks, an assault weapons ban, a ban on online sales of guns, more resources to enforce existing gun laws and incentives for states to adopt “red flag” laws, to take guns away from people deemed a risk to themselves or others.

But, despite Biden’s stricter gun policies, Pollack – and a number of survivors of mass shootings – have thrown their support behind Trump.

“Before they look at the facts the Democrats talk about gun control,” says Pollack.

“It’s easy for them to say we need more gun laws. The hard thing to do is to look at the facts of mental illness and of not holding people accountable.”

“Mass shooting would be worse under a Joe Biden administration,” he says.Â

“He will make schools less safe. He’s going to push those policies back into schools and go after our Second Amendment.”

Whoever wins the war on mass shootings and gun violence won’t simply be won or lost depending on the nation going blue or red in a few days time.

“If the next administration – whether Trump 2.0 or Biden – takes gun violence seriously and enacts policies that could have an impact as well as tackling broader issues such as social and economic challenges, hate and white supremacy then they could reduce mass shootings,” says Densley.

However, he argues that even if we subscribe to the idea that Donald Trump shoulders some of the blame, a loss at the polls could actually create a platform for further violence.

“People think if Biden is elected it will be a new day in January but Trump still has a massive following,” he says.

Trump has already laid the groundwork that if he loses it will be because the election is ‘rigged’ – something Densley warns could encourage ‘more extremist viewpoints to take back our country’ and send ‘militia groups to the streets with the feeling that democracy has been stolen from them.’

“The second thing is I don’t think Trump is going away even if he loses. He has 50 million Twitter followers and he could continue to use his platform to push conspiracy theories, sow discontent and undermine the next government,” he says.

“Trump has built his platform around Americans not being able to trust institutions and leaders and the systems and there might be a few people motivated by some of that rhetoric to take up arms.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-trump-record-doesn-t-144524134.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Yikes!
When explosives show up, we should all be concerned. This is what leads to building getting blown up with people inside of them.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: s003apr
Yikes!
When explosives show up, we should all be concerned. This is what leads to building getting blown up with people inside of them.

Yeah no kidding and it is the weapon of choice for white isis and white nationalists.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Right wing extremists causing problem again.

– Jackie Robinson
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
How do you feel about Q, Memphis?

Legend
Legend
The head of the Philly office that is responsible for counting ballots has said that they've received calls telling them that they are the reason for the 2nd Amendment.

For me, that's a flat out threat. And honestly, does anyone actually believe that people that supported Biden (be they BLM or Antifa) would threaten those that are

Lets face it, Trump is leading an army of Whacko's that seem hell bent on starting a civil war. I mean, look at how they act..

And people wanna blame it all on BLM...Yikes

Last edited by Damanshot; 11/09/20 02:24 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
you blindly believe

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Riots, Antifa, Mayhem, Destruction

Link Copied to Clipboard