T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T

Biden calls for ‘transition’ from oil, GOP sees opening
By KATHLEEN RONAYNE and ELLEN KNICKMEYER
October 23, 2020
Democrat Joe Biden’s remark that he would “transition” away from oil in the U.S. in favor of renewable energy drew quick attention Thursday night from President Donald Trump, who saw it as a boon to his election chances in key states.

“I would transition away from the oil industry, yes,” Biden said in the presidential debate’s closing minutes under peppering from Trump. “The oil industry pollutes, significantly. ... It has to be replaced by renewable energy over time.”

The Biden campaign’s climate plan calls for the U.S. to have net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. And he repeated his pledge to end federal subsidies for the oil and gas industry. However, Biden’s plan does not call for a ban on climate-damaging fossil fuels, focusing instead on technologies that can capture pollution from oil and other sources.

Still, Trump seemed surprised and pleased by Biden’s comment, declaring it a “big statement,” and suggesting it would come with political blowback in oil-producing states that stand to lose jobs.

“Basically what he is saying is he is going to destroy the oil industry,” Trump said. “Will you remember that, Texas? Will you remember that, Pennsylvania? Oklahoma? Ohio?”

Trump won all four states in 2016, but Pennsylvania in particular is a pivotal swing state this cycle, with both candidates investing heavily. Ohio is also in play, and Democrats even see Texas as a longshot pickup on an expanded electoral map.

After the debate, Biden told reporters he would not “ban” fossil fuels or move away from them for “a long time.”

Tackling climate change means sharply cutting oil, gas and coal emissions, scientists say, and that means eliminating most burning of fossil fuels. Biden talks of a 30-year transition to a carbon-free economy, by encouraging more wind and solar power and more energy efficiency.

The back-and-forth came as the debate was coming to a close, during a segment on how the candidates would respond to climate change. Biden says the country has a moral obligation to tackle climate change, while Trump has questioned the well-established science behind it. Polls show about three in four Americans are concerned about dangerous warming of the nation and planet.

But politically, Republicans see Biden’s comments as potentially damaging to Democrats in states that rely on the oil and gas industry. Trump has sought to make hydraulic fracturing, a process of oil and natural gas extraction, a key issue in Pennsylvania, wrongly charging Biden would ban the practice.

Biden says he would ban new oil and gas permits on federal land, but most of the United States’ fracking happens on private land.

Pennsylvania is both a leading battleground state in the presidential election and a leader in the nation’s fracking boom. Trump has been eager on frequent campaign trips there to cut a contrast between himself and Biden on the issue. Trump touts his support for a sector he says brings economic benefits to rural areas and jobs to construction workers. The state says the oil and gas sector employs about 26,000 workers there.

But it’s not clear yet how that pitch is landing, even in Pennsylvania.

In the suburbs that might be key to a Trump path to victory, Pennsylvania voters have shown opposition to the drilling and the massive pipelines required to move its product across the state. National polling shows growing skepticism of fracking.
Still, Biden’s comments could add headaches for Democrats in oil-heavy states. Rep. Kendra Horn, an Oklahoma Democrat who flipped a Republican seat in 2018, tweeted that she disagreed with him.

“We must stand up for our oil and gas industry. We need an all-of-the-above energy approach that’s consumer friendly, values energy independence and protects OK jobs,” she wrote.

The American Petroleum Institute, a trade association representing the oil and gas industry, said restricting oil and gas production would “jeopardize America’s economic recovery,” increase energy costs, eliminate jobs and shift energy production oversees.

A statement from Scott Parker, the organization’s content and rapid response manager, did not specifically criticize Biden and said neither candidate put forth realistic solutions to address the threat of climate change.

European oil giants in particular, like Royal Dutch Shell and BP, are investing in solar and wind energy, minimizing their financial risks if oil rigs go the way of coal-fired power plants in Western countries. But environmental groups say many major U.S. petroleum companies are still investing heavily in fossil fuel production while talking up what are often small efforts on climate change.

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020...342fd01be8bcc10

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
Never seen this before. Its from one of the Trump rally's where they play the tapes of Biden and Harris saying they're going to ban fracking outright.

-Charles Bukowski
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the same opening horse and buggy people saw when the automobile started to become popular. Progress has often been attacked by those who would rather see our nation fall behind.

You have those who step up and embrace the future and then you have those acting as if it isn't coming. Production of electric cars are surging. The transition away from fossil fuels is already in progress. The only actual question left is the speed at which it will happen, not if it will happen.

The thought process of trying to stall and delay green energy will put us behind nations like China in the future of energy. If you want to compete with China for the next 50 years, you better support the development of green energy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Gc As well here as in other thread.

It's like when I hear the line from the Dr. Dre song I remember from years ago.

" Where would you go if people wanted you killed, probably by you a new house on a new hill"
(he didn't say "people")

The Rush Limbaugh show, explaining how, Biden hopes to re start an Obama era policy to spend multiple millions if not Billions of dollars to bring inner city problem people into the suburbs through subsidized housing.

(now my opinion), So the street gangs and the crimes associated with the drug turf problems, that people fight so hard to get away from, many of the ones fleeing, people of color)

(now back from the Limbaugh show) Limbaugh says these kind of people (talking about democrat politicians), don't believe you should have the power/right to have mobility to get away from these kinds of problems, while leaving others behind.
it's not fair that some should be able to move to the suburbs to get away from these kinds of problems while leaving others behind.

(back to my opinion)
So, the Democrats answer to problems of inner city lack of hope, (which I've suggested needs to be fixed, on this board and Nobody wanted to flippin talk about that,) is not to fix, help whatever
but to spread the problem to back in the face of those trying to flee it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:
the article:

The American Petroleum Institute, a trade association representing the oil and gas industry, said restricting oil and gas production would “jeopardize America’s economic recovery,” increase energy costs, eliminate jobs and shift energy production oversees.

This, and the, "All of the above energy policy approach"
comment, from ... Oklahoma democrat Kendra Horn.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Exactly as your, less offensive, comment, though still wrong thinking, points out.

The embracing of the future and competing with foreign countries must be taken head on.

The Republican continuation of what is working ,(by not changing horses, midstream) is to embrace all energy technologies and build America Strong, stronger, and more competitive with the existing infrastructure, industry, and businesses, plus business leaders, and working in conjunction with the best and brightest intellectuals and government officials)
-to embrace all technologies, including wind, solar, oil and gas, "ALLLL of the Above..."

While the democrat plan to attack the future of embattled competiong with foreign powers, i.e. China on the energy front,

The Democrat plan, is... Tear down any and all things that are working, tear down anything of oil, and natural gas, through regulation
over regulation
and CRIPPLING regulation, at the cost of Jobs, Higher energy costs, i.e. electric bills going up
gas bills going up,

anything products on the store shelves, or even shipped to your house by "amazon" that require oil and gas to produce,

TO MAKE ALL OF THOSE PRICES GO UP, ..(Prices for clothing, shoes, products all over the spectrum of consumer goods, anything that comes in a plastic bottle requires oil).. BY CRIPPLING ANY AND ALL EXISTING OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY, THROUGH ENDLESS REGULATION,
Costing American Families in the pocket book:

For the purpose to ensure ONLY, wind and solar, and windmills on the front of battle tanks,
is the ONLY investment
the ONLY energy that can survive, AND BEGINNING IMMEDIATLY
Ready or Not, Consequences be danged!

tearing everything down, and thus (IMO) harming, American, Readiness,

This is the Democratic Parties energy plan, best I can understand it.

Instead of the more correct answer, which (IMO) the Republican side more closely offers, of

Embracing all of the Above for the purpose of making America Stronger.

T
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
T
A vote for Biden is a vote against the rust belt and mid west manufacturing and interests.

-Charles Bukowski
P
Legend
Legend
P
Nobody is "attacking" anything. The future is green energy. You can be a leader or be a follower. Your choice. I like being ahead of the curve and not behind it. Embracing the past is why we are no longer world leaders. To be a leader you must embrace the future and pioneer in its development.

I guess you missed the entire "phased out over time" part. Figures.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I guess you missed the entire "phased out over time" part.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good God...

What else is the American Petroleum Institute going to say.

I am a Chemical Engineer by trade, The API makes all the statements on behalf of the oil companies. They are not a unbiased source.

The problem with fracking is groundwater contamination. The fracking fluids are a bit "proprietary" in nature, and probably not a good thing to have near groundwater supplies.

You have all seen the pictures of natural gas coming out of faucets.

There is a balance that is needed.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Nobody is "attacking" anything. The future is green energy. You can be a leader or be a follower. Your choice. I like being ahead of the curve and not behind it. Embracing the past is why we are no longer world leaders. To be a leader you must embrace the future and pioneer in its development.

I guess you missed the entire "phased out over time" part. Figures.

Remember your audience.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The major oil companies..already investing in the future, clean energy markets.

How the six major oil companies have invested in renewable energy projects
FEATURES & ANALYSISWINDOIL & GAS
link

By James Murray 16 Jan 2020

Some of the oil majors have invested heavily in renewables, such as wind and solar, as they look to transition towards cleaner energy sources.

Of the six “super-majors” – BP, Shell, Chevron, Total, Eni and Exxon –

Big Oil is already leading the way, investing in clean energy.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The stone age didnt end because we ran out of stones. Guess who is investing heavily into this transition? Oil companies. Change is good. It is adding jobs.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Back in '79, I worked at Standard Oil Lima refinery. One day, some execs from CLE HQ came in, and pulled workers from all over the plant. They sat us down in the rec center, and surveyed us about what we liked, what we disliked, and what we saw for the indusrty's future.

Even back then, I advocated that Std Oil begin diversifying their r&d to expand their energy sources (solar, wind, geothermal) so that when their original finite resource becomes untenable, they will already be known as "Standard Energy." That was 40 years ago.

Maybe they should have given me a suit and an office instead of coveralls and a hard hat.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: mac
The major oil companies..already investing in the future, clean energy markets.

How the six major oil companies have invested in renewable energy projects
FEATURES & ANALYSISWINDOIL & GAS
link

By James Murray 16 Jan 2020

Some of the oil majors have invested heavily in renewables, such as wind and solar, as they look to transition towards cleaner energy sources.

Of the six “super-majors” – BP, Shell, Chevron, Total, Eni and Exxon –

Big Oil is already leading the way, investing in clean energy.

Notice this ^. In 2016, Trump was elected.
Prior to 2016, the Obama Biden administration was setting policys, on energy vs. environmental regulations.

All the industries, across the board were overregulated, sometimes to the point Nobody would invest in anything new, for some technologies, because..

the Regulations made it so unprofitable, (one poster on this board has about wrote a book on this subject and then posted the entire book on Dawgtalkers),

I'm saying this^ because like the economy crashes, the "untruthful" democrats will try and re write history and claim the good results..

TRUMP, in 2016, partly ran on the premise that he'd demand two regulations disappear for every new regulation imposed on some industries, and then .. implemented it.

Therefore, Oh whatdya know, here 3.99 years later and these Industries are making investments, Private industry,
Private Industry, succeeding, because Govt. got Out of the Way!

Democrats will take credit for this in the future, because they selectively cherry pick numbers, because their ideas stink, so they employ (untruthfulness) to claim the favorable results.

But this is happening, because Trump instituted a favorable environment for Companies to operate, without government red tape making it unprofitable.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump played games with the stock market and businesses by picking winners and losers. He's nothing more that a fascist wannabe dictator in a crappy hairdo and fat clothes.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
So who do you think can frack better? Trump or Biden?

I mean, we all know that fracking too much or in too many places can be a bad thing, but which candidate is going to frack just right so that we are all left feeling satisfied?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trump has been an environmental disaster. I would agree on some of the pullbacks, but other will increase deaths significantly.

I believe environmental regulation should be a balance of risk and effect. Trump does not give a damn about people.... see COVID-19 response.

When you frack irresponsibility and blow up someone’s water supply, their property value drops to zero. Yeah, that sucks if you have no recourse.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: s003apr
So who do you think can frack better? Trump or Biden?

I mean, we all know that fracking too much or in too many places can be a bad thing, but which candidate is going to frack just right so that we are all left feeling satisfied?

Of course Biden is better because Trump is fracking stupid.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
When you frack irresponsibility and blow up someone’s water supply,

rofl

That's why you shouldn't frack irresponsibly, and if you are going to frack, take the right precautions.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wear a fracking glove...

P
Legend
Legend
P
What I don't want to see s fracking expanded onto federal lands. In Colorado, California and Alaska Trump wishes to expand fracking on federal lands. Natural gas is already the cheapest fossil fuel source and much cleaner than oil and coal.

I would rather see an investment in the energy of tomorrow than an expansion of the energy of yesterday.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

"20 former Republican US Attorneys endorse Biden campaign."

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

"20 former Republican US Attorneys endorse Biden campaign."

Just shows you how deep the Deep State really is.

willynilly

Last edited by mgh888; 10/27/20 11:41 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Biden to Shut Down Oil Industry, Cripple Economy

Link Copied to Clipboard