Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Legend
Legend
F

Last edited by FloridaFan; 11/24/20 12:05 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Be a man about it win or lose. How many times have losing coaches and players shook his hand after a game. Too many to count.

I remember a while ado when we beat Pittsburgh on a prime time game. Hines Ward went into the locker room before the game ended. When PIT won he was always out there with that stupid grin, but wasn't man enough to accept the loss.

While I hate the Steelers I am not above respecting their players when deserved. Whines Hard will forever be a turd in my eyes because of this.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was past Tom's bed time.

Semi-seriously, I read an article that he was upset with Arians for making practices later during the week to get ready for the late game. His typical regimen has him in bed asleep at 9-something.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Your not trying to tell me that Tom Brady has been pampered and spoiled; PREPOSTEROUS!!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Maybe he gets up real early;

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
There are some references regarding the Browns reduced # of "stupid penalties" such as false starts. It occurred to me during the Football Team game, that with the very reduced amount of crowd noise, would false start penalties be down league wide.

IN the past it seemed as if at least 2-3 false starts a game were due to crowd noise, especially by teams with young OL. Makes me wonder if false starts are down league wide.

Don't misunderstand this comment to mean I don't think coach Stefanski has not done a great job, I think he has been great. Just something I thought of early in the year with before some teams started pumping fan noise in loudly.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a fair observation. I'd bet that, when looked at league-wide, you'd be absolutely correct.

I don't think that even begins to explain the Browns improvement, though. Look how early we're getting to the line and get to move pre-snap. That's not crowd noise, that's discipline and execution. Mayfield is also able to induce some offsides with his cadence. That's also a new thing this year (I think he might've also drawn our own guy into a false start, but we'll just ignore that one for now).

I don't think you're wrong at all, but the preponderance of evidence related to the Browns points to the arrival of KS.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Not so much with False Start penalties, but definitely with Holding calls and others, there is definitely a healthy dose of "the Refs just aren't calling them like they used to" going on.

We all know the old saying that you could call Holding on every play in the NFL.... well, they just aren't calling them on us unless they're egregious, or so it seems. We haven't had the slew of super ticky tacky calls from the Refs that have plagued us for 20 years. It's amazing how much better our offense can look without all of those extra penalties.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Also curious if offsides/encroachment is up. Seems like more people are biting on the hard counts that usual. Maybe not. I know someone knows how to find the stat for it...

#gmstrong
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
My “Why I love Kevin Stefanski” moment came Tuesday. I was driving home and listening to the Kevin Stefanski show on KNR, and one of the hosts asked him if he’d seen “Anchorman”, and he said yes. Then the host referenced Brick killing a guy, and without missing a beat KS, said “He used a trident!”. That’s my coach.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Is it possible that the lack of acknowledgment after the game was a combo of - The Bastard beat us and Hey I don't know where he's been I don't want to get Covid so I'm playing the odds of staying away from people.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"I love lamp"

C
Legend
Legend
C
From The Athletic:

Quote:
Kevin Stefanski could go 0-16 in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 AND 2026 — and he would still begin the 2027 season with a better winning percentage than Hue Jackson.”

Come on. That can’t be right. Let’s do the math.

Stefanski now: 10-4, .714 winning percentage.

If Stefanski loses his next 96 games through the end of 2026: 10-100, .091 winning percentage.

Hue Jackson’s record with the Browns: 3-36-1, .088 winning percentage.

https://theathletic.com/2276637/2020/12/21/browns-mayfield-offensive-line/

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
From The Athletic:

Quote:
Kevin Stefanski could go 0-16 in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 AND 2026 — and he would still begin the 2027 season with a better winning percentage than Hue Jackson.”

If Stefanski loses his next 96 games through the end of 2026: 10-100, .091 winning percentage.

Belichick would have to go winless for the next 186 seasons.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
From The Athletic:

Quote:

LOL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
As he should be

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
They vote for coach of the year AFTER the playoffs right? If so, that will play into it a lot.

Right now it should be a 2 horse race between Stefanski and McDermott in Buffalo. Year over year the Browns have the best turnaround. But Buffalo went from 6-10, to 10-6 and a wildcard, to potentially 13-3 division champs.. and he got beat out last year by Harbaugh. I know it's not supposed to be about anything but this year.. but I could see them giving it to McDermott for what they did over the last 2 years. Then Stefanski can win it next year for the same reason.

yebat' Putin
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I would think Flores should be considered as well.

Last edited by Hammer; 12/22/20 04:31 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer

Like I said, if the Dolphins make the playoffs and the Browns don't, that becomes a distinct possibility.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer
yeah, definitely. And maybe Rivera if they make the playoffs.

Legend
Legend

All deserving candidates.

Flores has done wonders in Miami.

Rivera recovering from cancer and coaching a team into position to win their division is admirable.

However, Kevin Stefanski IMO is the most deserving of the award. Not only is the record significant there is more to it.

Last year we won six games. We all know what went on before. Freddie clearly was not the man for the job. No hard feelings. I like Freddie. He was just not head coach material.

Kevin was faced with a unique challenge. He was not alone. Any new coaching staff faced with Covid protocols had major adjustments to handle.

We were not ready for the first game against the Ravens. After that loss we never lost two in a row. That coming from a team that could not win two in row since forever.

The way we won. The players missing. The difference in how the team prepared. The way they looked on game days. They came ready to play. Didn't make the big mental errors.
Were not a penalty team.

Kevin has brought an air of professionalism. He established how this team would play. The team improved weekly.

We are 10-4 with two remaining games in control of our destiny. We win. We are in.

The Steelers don't look so hot.

The Browns are a top four team in the AFC. I have no doubts about that.

We are capable of beating any team in the NFL.

That is astounding to me.

Haslam should commission a statue today. Coach of the Year?

Absolutely.

Legend
Legend
Thanks, coach! Liked the win, and I must admit that beating Freddie and Co. really was satisfying to me.

I am ready to watch us again, and not have the night game limits on the bar where we meet.

Let's win this one and send some flowers to Bengals. Quite a job!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
What can be learned from Mike Priefer’s 2016 head coaching performance with the Vikings?

By Ellis L. Williams, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Last year special teams coordinator Mike Priefer shared a running joke about how his sons call him “0 and 1,” based on his NFL head coaching record. Sunday versus Pittsburgh, Priefer has a chance to become “Mr. .500″, by leading his hometown Cleveland Browns to victory in the organization’s first playoff game in 18 years.

Sound like a daunting task? It is.

Not only are the Browns out their head coach and play-caller but Pro Bowl guard Joel Bitonio and receiver KhaDarel Hodge as well. It leaves the Browns very thin at guard and down one of their top special teamers and pass catchers.

However, this isn’t a death sentence for the Browns’ chances, because Stefanski’s replacement has been in a similar situation before.

In 2016, Priefer served as the Vikings’ head coach during Week 13 when Mike Zimmer sat out due to an emergency eye procedure. Minnesota lost 17-15 on Thursday Night Football against a 10-1 Cowboys team that finished 13-3. That contest came down to a late-game challenge (which Priefer won), a failed two-point conversion where the officials missed a hands-to-the-face penalty, and an onside kick Minnesota didn’t recover.

Minnesota (6-5 at the time) fought valiantly that night for their interim head coach and it nearly was enough to upset one of the NFL’s best teams.

What can we learn from Priefer’s lone head coaching performance from four seasons ago? Let’s revisit some key moments and decisions from that game to find out.

Priefer “looked the part”

I talked with a Vikings beat writer who remembers being at that Minnesota-Dallas game. He said afterward that his biggest takeaway was that Priefer simply looked the part of an NFL head coach.

Before the game, Vikings GM Rick Spielman said Priefer was the man for the job because of his familiarity with both the offense and defense. On top of his usual special teams duties, Priefer handled all game management decisions (timeouts, challenges, going for it on fourth, etc.), while the Vikings’ offensive and defensive coordinators called plays.

Without their play-caller in Zimmer, the Vikings defense still bottled up then-dynamic rookies Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott. It’s a sign Browns fans should remain confident in Cleveland’s offense.

As one coach I talked to said, “How (the Browns offense) looks won’t change. What will change is the how and when.”

Meaning that, when the Browns run power or play-action passes, it will look the same. But the frequency and situations in which Cleveland calls certain plays becomes uncertain. Mike Tomlin will lean on the Browns’ season-long tendencies to ready his defense but he’s preparing for the unknown now because there isn’t tape on Alex Van Pelt these calling plays.

Some felt that helped the Vikings’ defense bottle the Cowboys’ explosive offense. Because the situations in which defensive coordinator George Edwards called certain blitzes or coverages differed at times from Zimmer’s tendencies.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Browns offense plays well Sunday just as the Vikings defense did four years ago without their play-caller. However, losing Bitonio is a major blow, and one they could not have prepared for.

But there were contingency plans all year for this exact situation. It was decided before Week 1 that Priefer would serve as interim head coach if COVID-19 ever made Stefanski unavailable. Remember, Stefanski and Priefer coached eight years together in Minnesota. Stefanski had a first-hand viewing experience of Priefer as a head coach. He trusts him and that trickles down throughout the locker room.

It’s no surprise someone as detail oriented as Priefer vibes with Stefanski. It’s that same focus and knowledge of the game (and all its rules) that won him a critical challenge against the Cowboys.

He handled critical late-game situations well

Minnesota featured the league’s worst offense in 2016 behind quarterback Sam Bradford. But the defense carried the Vikings to a 17-9 deficit with 2:53 to play. With Dallas near their own 30, Prescott scrambled nine yards and picked up a first down that would’ve put the game away.

However, Priefer and his staff felt the ball was spotted incorrectly because the rules state a player is down where their initial slide begins. Priefer challenged, won and the Cowboys punted a play later.

With the ball back, Minnesota drove 65 yards in eight plays and scored their first touchdown. On the two-point try, Bradford was blatantly hit in the head but it wasn’t called.

Minnesota eventually lost but without Priefer’s challenge, the game would’ve ended nearly three minutes early. Instead, he made a sharp decision and afforded the Vikings an opportunity to win late.

Players rally behind Priefer

It helps immensely that Priefer was around Berea last season to build meaningful connections with key players. He and quarterback Baker Mayfield have a friendly relationship. Given the opportunity, players rave about Priefer during interviews.

His 20 years in the NFL have taught him how to blend motivation with accountability while sprinkling just enough banter that his players either laugh or rib back. Such authenticity translates to relatable. That’s Priefer inside the locker room and on the field.

That night at USA Bank Stadium, he didn’t have to gain the respect of his 53-man roster because it was already solidified. Priefer earned that over his five years prior with the Vikings, including 2012 special teams coach of the year honors. Players rallied behind Priefer and played for both him and Zimmer that evening. His relationship with guys who made their name on special teams (like receiver Adam Thielen) helped the roster buy in.

Simply, Priefer was both highly-respected and well-liked within the Vikings’ locker room and organization.

That holds true in Cleveland as well.

What we learned

Like Stefanski, Browns fans should trust him, too. Assuming the team can practice a few days before Sunday, Priefer will have the Browns ready to play. He proved capable of that before. If it’s a close game late and swift, critical decisions must be made, he won’t hesitate, freeze or falter.

Last year, Priefer told media during a weekly press conference “Would I like to be a head coach? Absolutely. Who wouldn’t? I would love to be up in front of the team and be the leader of that team.”

On Sunday, he’ll stand up and lead the franchise into its first playoff game since 2002. Regardless of how wild card weekend ends, Priefer’s due for a new nickname.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/01...he-vikings.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thanks for that article. We’ll miss Stefanski and Callahan for sure. I don’t think it’s catastrophic ... but what I do think is catastrophic: Bitonio being out and watching Heyward bull rushing the crap out of our awful LG

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
What can be learned from Mike Priefer’s 2016 head coaching performance with the Vikings?

By Ellis L. Williams, cleveland.com

1 - As one coach I talked to said, “How (the Browns offense) looks won’t change. What will change is the how and when.”

Meaning that, when the Browns run power or play-action passes, it will look the same. But the frequency and situations in which Cleveland calls certain plays becomes uncertain. Mike Tomlin will lean on the Browns’ season-long tendencies to ready his defense but he’s preparing for the unknown now because there isn’t tape on Alex Van Pelt these calling plays.

2 - Players rally behind Priefer

It helps immensely that Priefer was around Berea last season to build meaningful connections with key players. He and quarterback Baker Mayfield have a friendly relationship. Given the opportunity, players rave about Priefer during interviews.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/01...he-vikings.html

A couple things to hope for under the circumstances.

Legend
Legend
Is Callahan back or another miss? Hate the NFL's handling of this.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Worthy in my opinion. And maybe it is Clay Matthews' year.

fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Callahan is 64 and is a very high risk candidate. So actually I'm glad they are being very careful with him unlike the yutes who if they catch the virus they survive. So I hope he doesn't catch it and can't wait when myself and others can get the Vaccine...I know the politicians made sure they got it and then their concern seemed to have waned.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

Callahan is 64 and is a very high risk candidate. So actually I'm glad they are being very careful with him unlike the yutes who if they catch the virus they survive. So I hope he doesn't catch it and can't wait when myself and others can get the Vaccine...I know the politicians made sure they got it and then their concern seemed to have waned.
same here .. I’m good with him staying away for the end of the year. Let him stay safe and be a virtual voice. Hoping he decides to return next year

O
Legend
Legend
O
Honest question... at this point in the year, how much of an impact does an Oline coach have being on the sidelines on gameday?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I don't know the correct answer, but my guess is "maybe only a little, maybe a ton?".

He would see the little technique things that a guy is doing wrong, or the things a DLine is doing to beat them and be able to help our guy counter it. It would be all the little Big things.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I imagine figuring out how to pick up "new" blitzes/wrinkles they hadn't seen on tape would benefit from an experienced OL coach. Figuring out how to compensate/continuously adjust for however Bitonio's replacement holds up could also come into play.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Coach of the year: Kevin Stefanski

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2021, 6:35 AM EST

I would like to congratulate Coach Stefanski and thank him for busting his butt to shape a winning football team out of this bunch of guys.

Last edited by mac; 01/08/21 10:08 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1837635 01/08/21 09:41 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2021, 6:35 AM EST
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/08/coach-of-the-year-kevin-stefanski/

Compelling arguments can be made this year in favor of many NFL head coaches for the official coach of the year award, for two reasons. First, there were many very good NFL head coaches this year. Second, the standard for this award continues to be very loose and vague.

What does it mean to be coach of the year? From 2001 through 2018, Bill Belichick could have been coach of the year almost every year. The rough understanding seems to be that the award goes to the coach whose team most exceeds it generally accepted expectations for the year.

Under that standard, which we’ll borrow for our own coach of the year award, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski deserves to be the PFT coach of the year. Without the benefit of an offseason program or preseason games, Stefanski gradually, deliberately, and inevitably crafted a winning program from a team that grossly underachieved in 2019. The effort started simply by winning the games that they should. It culminated in winning multiple games that they should have lost, first against the Colt and most notably against Titans.

Stefanski fixed the various flaws in quarterback Baker Mayfield‘s game. When the Browns lost receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. for the season, the Browns (after initially struggling against the Raiders without OBJ) didn’t miss a beat. And they took full advantage of their bye week to address flaws, to focus on strengths, and to keep pushing toward a grossly unexpected 11-5 record in one of the toughest divisions in football — and Cleveland’s first postseason berth since 2002.

The latter days of the season have been marred by COVID-19 infections that began as community spread and became a full-blown outbreak. Stefanski won’t be available for the playoff game, which undoubtedly will prove his value to the team.

He’ll continue to prove his value in the coming years. This isn’t an aberration or a blip on the radar screen. This is the arrival of the Browns as a force to be reckoned with. They should improve, not regress, in 2021 and beyond.

Others who merit consideration for the award include, most notably, Packers coach Matt LaFleur. He walked two years ago into a jambalaya of dysfunction and he has steered the team toward consecutive 13-3 records. He won’t get the votes that he should for the official award, because we’ve already come to expect LaFluer to thrive.

Ditto for Bills coach Sean McDermott, who has turned the Bills into, currently, the best team in the NFL. A playoff berth was presumed and a division title was likely. The ascension to dominance was not. McDermott deserves credit for that.

Others who did much better than the expectations would have suggested include Washington coach Ron Rivera, who fought through cancer to take an overmatched roster to an unlikely division title, Saints coach Sean Payton, Dolphins coach Brian Flores, and Chiefs coach Andy Reid, whose team consistently faced the best that every opponent had to offer — and consistently won.

In the end, there can only be one winner, however. In a year with several impressive coaching performances, Stefanski stands out.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Honest question... at this point in the year, how much of an impact does an Oline coach have being on the sidelines on gameday?

There is a game plan needed to be executed especially after a game against our opponent Sunday adjustment are needed as we saw some reactions by the defense to adjust to our blocking schemes. Its a lot more sophisticated then High school stuff I'm sure Callahan will be planning a lot of the adjustments and he will communicate it to our existing OL coach Scott Peters???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

mac #1837643 01/08/21 10:03 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

It's absolutely mind boggling that John Dorsey passed this guy up for Freddie Kitchens.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

It's absolutely mind boggling that John Dorsey passed this guy up for Freddie Kitchens.

what’s worse for me: after year 1, Dorsey STILL was advocating for Kitchens.

I can see giving him a chance, but after that debacle last year ... how could you still want him?!

O
Legend
Legend
O
At the end of the day it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but Dorsey was advocating for Dorsey and circling the wagons to cling to the structure that gave him all/most authority.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I don't think Dorsey wanted to hire a guy that was "Depodesta's" even though, from everything we've seen, Stefanski would have been fine working beneath Dorsey anyhow.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski II

Link Copied to Clipboard