Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Browns options for replacing injured CB Denzel Ward

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-options-for-replacing-injured-cb-denzel-ward/

Already down one projected starting cornerback for the entire 2020 season, the Cleveland Browns must now scramble to replace the other starter. And with Denzel Ward now out for at least a couple of games, the Browns find themselves in need of filling a chasmic hole without its top player in the secondary.

Ward is not only the Browns best cover man and playmaker at cornerback, he’s one of the best in the entire NFL. Replacing him will not be simple. The Browns do have some options borne out of necessity, however.

Here are some ideas for how the Browns can replace Ward at the outside CB spot opposite Terrance Mitchell for a few weeks.

Kevin Johnson

Johnson will certainly play a primary role in replacing Ward. The question is, where?

The veteran has been the Browns’ primary slot/nickel corner all season. He hasn’t exactly been great, surrendering 20 completions on 25 targets and allowing a QB Rating against of 96.3, per Pro Football Focus.

However, Johnson is at his best playing inside. Keeping him in the slot would allow one less moving part in the mechanics of the secondary, one that struggles to work well together even when Ward is playing his Pro Bowl best outside. Johnson is the best slot option on the team and probably should stay there.

Tavierre Thomas

Thomas was the proverbial “next man up” earlier this season when Johnson was out or slowed with injuries. Like Johnson, Thomas played almost exclusively in the slot.

The best way to lay out the case for, or rather against, Thomas playing more is that he hasn’t played a single snap on defense since Week 4. He was consistently a step late in coverage and doesn’t have the fluid athleticism needed to hang with most receivers inside. PFF pegged Thomas for giving up 19 receptions on 22 targets and a QB Rating allowed of 112.1.

Playing outside could be a better option. Thomas is physical and one of the best tacklers on the team.

M.J. Stewart

Stewart has barely played for the Browns this year, his first in Cleveland. He’s logged just four snaps over three games since a rough outing against Dallas in Week 4, when he gave up two easy completions and missed a tackle.

He too has primarily been a slot corner. If the choice is to play Johnson outside, Stewart in the slot becomes a more likely option. Stewart just doesn’t have the speed or acceleration to hang with the faster options on the outside.

A.J. Green

The prized member of the Browns’ undrafted rookie class of 2020, Green has yet to make a dent in Cleveland. He’s been on the practice squad all year, seeing exactly one snap when elevated to play in Week 3.

Green should be at least in line for an elevation this week. At 6-1 with lanky arms, he’s the longest CB on the roster. If the Browns are looking to get him some game action to see what they’ve got in the rookie from Oklahoma State, Jacksonville is about as optimal of a place to make a more substantial debut as possible. In college and during the Senior Bowl week, Green was at his best in tight press-man, which isn’t something the Browns do a lot

Robert Jackson

Jackson has yet to play a defensive rep in 2020 and saw the field for just one snap in 2019 on defense. The hirsute corner makes his living on special teams.

Jackson has size and some hitting ability that are more in line with a safety than a cornerback. In fact, he played safety in high school and college before transitioning to outside cornerback at the end of his UNLV career. Jackson struggled in the 2019 preseason with holding and grabbing.

This article has it all wrong. You don't just slot in a replacement for Ward (and expect to succeed). His absence has to be covered by scheme. We have to come up with (a lot of) ways to confuse the QB and/or juice our pass rush. Slotting in backup/practice squad level guys and expecting them to fill the shoes of a guy that's pacing the league's best isn't a recipe for success.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
So what do you all think the deal is with the D-line (and really front 7) having their best overall game last week without Garrett? I know the Eagles O-line is not that good, but after the Raiders game, I would have said that our D-line had major issues, then they come out without Garrett and play a game like that? makes no sense to me.

You will certainly never convince me that we are worse off with Garrett on the field than without, but it makes me wonder is are we playing less disciplined with Garrett or doing things to set up Garrett for the big play that actually putting the rest of the D at a disadvantage?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: s003apr
So what do you all think the deal is with the D-line (and really front 7) having their best overall game last week without Garrett?

Coincidental and just a function of the weather.
Also, Garrett is just THAT fast. On some of those sacks, while the guys that got the sacks got them, if Garrett was in there, he likely just would have been there first.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O

1. Eagles really are THAT bad (1st in getting their QB smacked, I believe?)
2. Our guys up front answered the call

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: s003apr
So what do you all think the deal is with the D-line (and really front 7) having their best overall game last week without Garrett?

Coincidental and just a function of the weather.
Also, Garrett is just THAT fast. On some of those sacks, while the guys that got the sacks got them, if Garrett was in there, he likely just would have been there first.

I was really thinking more in terms of the run game. If you look at the loss in the Pittsburg and Las Vegas games, it was the inability to stop the run in the second half that really stood out to me, and the weather was really bad against Las Vegas as well. Philadelphia has a better running game than Las Vegas and both games were similarly close in the second half, but Las Vegas controlled the line of scrimmage in the 4th quarter and absolutely stole that game from us because the d-line could not stop the run to save their lives. Against Phili, it was the polar opposite. The D-line controlled the line of scrimmage which forced Wentz into tough positions on 3rd down. That was just my perception from watching the game. It felt like the D-line was winning in 1st and 2nd down. They were eating up blocks and allowing the linebackers to get after things more. That is what it seemed like to me at least.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've noticed that we've changed our scheme, as well, after the bye. In the first half of the season, it seemed like we were trying to get upfield, but this would often leave a ton of running lanes, and just plainly wasn't getting results.

In the past two games against the Texans and the Eagles, I've noticed that we are much more focused on gap integrity and more of a bend-don't-break.

It seems like we're giving up big hits in the backfield in order to keep mobile QBs in the pocket while closing in, and we seem to want our DT's to stay in position, rather than penetrating and leaving the back half of our defense exposed to opposing OL.

JMHObservations.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That difference is the fact that Philly's OLine blows and the Raiders' OLine simply out-beefed us.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Hospital Ward at it again I see.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
You mean the OL that has 3 Pro Bowlers - Kelce, Johnson, and Peters?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Past Pro Bowls don't indicate how a player is playing during the 2020 season. If you watched that game and thought the Eagles offensive line was anything but terrible then I don't know what to say.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I could say Wentz absolutely sucked in that game. I could say that the CLE DL was excellent that game. I could say that Kelce had some elbow injury which made him essentially 1 armed.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Have Ward or Garrett ever played a full season?

Legend
Legend
not yet, no.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'm not saying this is what you are doing - but I get really irked by fans who use injuries in a way to try and belittle or demean players. Someone did it the other day saying Ward misses games every 2 or 3 games he plays.... the stats show he has played something like 90-100% of defensive snaps in all but one game this year. I mean look at Haden - he had a couple plagued seasons with the Browns and we dumped him and since he's been playing well for the Steelers ever since.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Garrett HAS played a full season - 2018.

Last edited by FATE; 11/25/20 09:01 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just thinking out loud..

IF Greedy has a debilitating nerve injury that cannot be resolved (and honestly, we don't know what the problem is) wouldnt we have already granted him outright injury settlement and release?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would say that OL problems have been at the core of Philly's problems this year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week on Wednesday.

The honor comes after Vernon posted three sacks, including one that resulted in a safety, of quarterback Carson Wentz in Cleveland’s 22-17 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Just thinking out loud..

IF Greedy has a debilitating nerve injury that cannot be resolved (and honestly, we don't know what the problem is) wouldnt we have already granted him outright injury settlement and release?

As someone who has dealt with nerve issues for over 2 decades, they can be incredibly difficult to resolve sometimes.

I speak from experience.

I had a nerve impingement in my right shoulder. I went to several different doctors, and found no relief. Finally my doctor sent me to a surgeon, who immediately saw the issue. One surgery later, and I haven't had any problems with that issue since. The pursuit of it was incredibly frustrating, but once it was fixed, it was fixed.

Hopefully Greedy is at the end of the process, and has found answers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week on Wednesday.

The honor comes after Vernon posted three sacks, including one that resulted in a safety, of quarterback Carson Wentz in Cleveland’s 22-17 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
awesome! He was huge for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I'm not saying this is what you are doing - but I get really irked by fans who use injuries in a way to try and belittle or demean players. Someone did it the other day saying Ward misses games every 2 or 3 games he plays.... the stats show he has played something like 90-100% of defensive snaps in all but one game this year. I mean look at Haden - he had a couple plagued seasons with the Browns and we dumped him and since he's been playing well for the Steelers ever since.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

It's annoying as a fan when your best players can't stay on the field. It doesn't mean I'm not a fan of either guy or going to bang the table for a trade or anything stupid like that. But if your goal is to compete for championships you need your best players to play. I feel Garrett and Ward are not dependable. Always holding your breath week to week wondering if they are going to play. Hell, Garrett is taking drives off in games for getting nicked and Ward plays an entire game, makes the game winning play, everything seems fine, and all of a sudden he's sidelined for several weeks. Really important weeks. I'm also bummed that Garrett's absence probably cost him DPOY. I'd like to see a Brown grab one of these awards.

As a fanatic, I am 100% demeaning them for not being available to help the team win and accomplish their goals. It's always something with those two. And we need them. If we don't make the playoffs due to their absences that's going to suck.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Well most of the Schemes available is us playing ZONE. But if we blitz and without Garrett we probably will have to and should. Our corners will have to play MAN.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
How difficult was that surgery and what was the recovery like?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Hammer
How difficult was that surgery and what was the recovery like?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

After the surgery, I woke up in a chair. The doctor gave me my post surgery instructions and a prescription for pain medicine. I asked, "What pain. It's gone".

I had bone tissue removed, and a nerve re-routed in my shoulder. I had zero strength at first. I had this exercise where I laid on my back with a 1# weight in my hand, and was supposed to lift my hand up as high as I could, in an arc, and to go as high as I could, even over my head if possible. First time I got the weight about 5" off the table I had laid down on. I asked the doc if he had chained the darn thing down, or something.

Nonetheless, my shoulder came back quickly in function and without pain. I would say that within 2 months my shoulder was fully healed, and was probably twice as strong as it had been before the surgery. (it had been a fairly long debilitation)

I should add that this shoulder was done with a scope. (4 entrance points)

I wanted to puke when, after coming out of the anesthesia, the doctor gave me full color pictures of the inside of my shoulder. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Thanks for the insight.

I had rotator cuff and labrum surgeries on my right shoulder (throwing arm). Now my left shoulder for last 3 months feels worse. I think it is nerve related which is why I asked. Don't real feel like going through another surgery, however.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some of it could also be that our guys are finally playing more freely in the new D. We have to remember, new systems on both sides of the ball with not much off-season work and zero PS games. I think it is a miracle we have played so well under such circumstances. Perhaps our D is starting to just play and not having to think as much in the new D? Just a thought... peace

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
L
Legend
Legend
L
I definitely think there’s something to that. Guys can think too much on defence instead of just reading and reacting without hesitation. Even a Half-step faster is a big difference.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Could be. I just wish we had everyone healthy so we could really see what we have on D.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/29/20 01:36 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not much ..

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Disagreee WATER.

With our starting secondary and Wilson and Jacobs growing into their roles, we could be respectable on D. I personally would seriously consider trading up for Micah Parsons in the draft, depending on how far he falls, and adding a couple plus-level DL pieces. With those moves, the D could make a HUGE leap next year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: thedawggene
Disagreee WATER.

With our starting secondary and Wilson and Jacobs growing into their roles, we could be respectable on D. I personally would seriously consider trading up for Micah Parsons in the draft, depending on how far he falls, and adding a couple plus-level DL pieces. With those moves, the D could make a HUGE leap next year.

And you didn't even mention Grant Delpit, who is going to be like adding another new 2nd round pick to whoever we draft next year and I know that in camp folks were very high on how he was doing before he got hurt..

And then Greedy Williams, I heard he might be back by week 6 of the 2023 season.

Our biggest challenge this offseason is figuring out who to re-sign on the DL. As I understand it, Myles is the only starter under contract for next year.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Sheldon Richardson is under contract as well

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And we get Andrew Billings back the DT we signed in free agency who opted out.
If I remember correctly, he's a beast against the run.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Bottom line with 3 or 4 additions on D next year along with all the players we have out injured coming back we might be pretty darn good in "21

Legend
Legend
Yeah, he is a good run stuffer. We also have Elliott who is a rotational guy. Big Larry and Vernon will need signed or replaced.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Greedy and Delpit's injuries situations make them huge ? going forward. It could very well be that neither makes it back to 100%.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's what my crystal Ball is telling me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
That's what my crystal Ball is telling me.

Lance Armstrong?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Hope he wants to get in, buy in, and dominate. It might improve our linebackers.

Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

#Browns  Linebacker, Sione Takitaki, has stepped up big in his 2nd year.

Sione's Run-Defense Grade of 85.4 is 3rd among LBs in the #NFL .

Takitaki ranks 17th among LBs with an Overall Grade of 66.0, per @PFF.

He is currently 5th on the @Browns in Total Tackles (45). 💥

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Defense...Where do we go from here?

Link Copied to Clipboard