Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1818919 11/26/20 11:35 AM
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
The previous thread was locked while I typed this in response to mgh's last post in the previous thread.

To add:

I noted in the Post Game thread the fact that in Baker's last game NOT played in hurricane winds or a non-stop downpour he threw 22 straight completions to end the game...with a W.

I've re-watched the Eagles game a few times and kept coming away thinking about Baker's completion/attempts for that game...12/20 but something just seemed odd to me. So...the last time I watched it, I started making notes focused on the (10) passes that were NOT completed. FWIW, I've always discounted completion-percentage as a tool for measuring-accuracy. Here goes:

1st pass incomplete to Njoku that hit him squarely in the hands for a drop. Shocker. Baker didn't throw his way again;

2nd incomplete Baker was flushed right. Lots of time to throw...on the run he threw low (on purpose) to Hodge who was tightly-covered/draped;

3rd incompletion was the awful overthrow to Hooper in the end zone. He simply missed that throw. On the play before that, he under threw Bryant, but drew the PI...so no incompletion...but I consider it # 2b. (FWIW, the clueless talking heads at halftime claim that Baker left 12 points on the board there...uh...it was the SAME drive...not to mention the two running plays that also didn't get into the endzone...and one guy tried to blame Baker's 'lack of pre-game focus' for the misses. The Baker hate is alive and well.);

#4 was a throw away...the announcers mentioned that coverage was excellent;

#5 was the throw to Higgins where Higgins was mugged before the ball got to him. How that wasn't PI is a mystery;

#6 was a spike to stop the clock;

#7 was a clear drop by Hooper;

#8 was a throwaway long and wide as the clock expired.

HALFTIME - (8) incompetions in the first half...two drops...four throwaways+spike...one BS, PI non-call...one poorly-thrown ball (officially...but really 2). So Baker "missed" one throw in the non-stop downpour in the first half...I say two with the second being unofficial. He really needs to tighten up his pre-game focus. saywhat

Baker will "miss" two throws in the second half. Here they are:

50 yard overthrow to Hodge...looked like a miscommunication as Hodge stopped/slowed somewhere on the route...Baker "overthrew" him by 10 yards or so;

Last incompletion was a throwaway as Baker was under quick pressure.

There's your (10)...of the (10)...ONE was a poorly thrown ball...an important one no doubt...the rain didn't seem to affect the other nine incompletions...he just missed one (call it two) there. 22 official passes in the non-stop, pouring rain and ONE was poor...we need to draft his replacement asap. rolleyes

Last edited by WSU Willie; 11/26/20 11:36 AM.
All Pro
All Pro
The non-PI call was still a bad ball.

The two to the end zone.

And the two to Hodge (though the long ball is hard to say, likely Hodge missed the route since he has been out a while).

Yes, you can argue 2 bad balls, but there were 4 (possibly 5). And that's not me complaining. We were playing in the wet. 4 bad balls is to be expected when the pigskin gets a bit slick.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't put a lot of stock in your breakdown (although I appreciate the work) and here is why...you know good play when you see it. You know winning football when you see it. Nothing, and I mean nothing, replaces the eye test. The eye test is statistics neutral.

A professional QB should never miss the throws he missed to Bryant or Hooper. They are literally the difference between being Blake Bartles and being Aaron Rodgers. You know if a QB is going to be good or not by the throws they miss.

Having said all that, I think Baker's brain is scrambled and he is being reprogrammed. How he comes out of it will depend on him. But I think due to his circumstances we need to give him more time. I am firmly on the Baker train even if my criticisms don't seem like. There are many variables that haven't given Baker a fair shot.

Legend
Legend
I agree that he is being moulded and adjust ing to the fact that it is not all him to carry the team, and also that he cannot. He can impact the game with a few solid plays, but he has to be part of the parade of folks building a win. Hope he can calm down and improve some more.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Mahomes overthrew a WR in the endzone last week. He must be garbage also.

No Craps Given
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Agree. All quarterbacks miss throws. No one is perfect. Its just amplified here more.

Legend
Legend
Rishuz, I think you are being a tad critical of Baker. Even the great QB’s miss easy passes. The difference is Baker misses a tad more of them. I agree with most, if not all of Willie’s breakdown. Baker played pretty well in his last game.

I agree with you that he needs more time. I’m hoping he can be our QB of the future. I think he isn’t there yet.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Rishuz, I think you are being a tad critical of Baker. Even the great QB’s miss easy passes.

Again, the eye test. If you are going to miss throws you should offset them with big plays. Baker is pretty pedestrian right now. And he cannot for the life of himself convert 3rd and 5 or shorter. I've never seen anything like it. Pitch and catch. Can't do it. It's insanity. We are better off in 3rd and 10 or longer. 3rd and short is a guaranteed fail.

Mahomes may miss throws but he makes plays. Huge difference. Trust what your eyes are telling you.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Ive watched Baker march the team down the field and score numerous times.

He passes the eye test.

The last 3 games have had craptastic weather.

The play calling was conservative because of that.

He did fine.

No Craps Given
R
Legend
Legend
R
The true test will be when he needs to put the team on his back.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Darn right ! Going 22 for 22 against Cincinnati was not enough... more of a fluke than good QB play.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
The previous thread was locked while I typed this in response to mgh's last post in the previous thread.

To add:

I noted in the Post Game thread the fact that in Baker's last game NOT played in hurricane winds or a non-stop downpour he threw 22 straight completions to end the game...with a W.

I've re-watched the Eagles game a few times and kept coming away thinking about Baker's completion/attempts for that game...12/20 but something just seemed odd to me. So...the last time I watched it, I started making notes focused on the (10) passes that were NOT completed. FWIW, I've always discounted completion-percentage as a tool for measuring-accuracy. Here goes:

1st pass incomplete to Njoku that hit him squarely in the hands for a drop. Shocker. Baker didn't throw his way again;

2nd incomplete Baker was flushed right. Lots of time to throw...on the run he threw low (on purpose) to Hodge who was tightly-covered/draped;

3rd incompletion was the awful overthrow to Hooper in the end zone. He simply missed that throw. On the play before that, he under threw Bryant, but drew the PI...so no incompletion...but I consider it # 2b. (FWIW, the clueless talking heads at halftime claim that Baker left 12 points on the board there...uh...it was the SAME drive...not to mention the two running plays that also didn't get into the endzone...and one guy tried to blame Baker's 'lack of pre-game focus' for the misses. The Baker hate is alive and well.);

#4 was a throw away...the announcers mentioned that coverage was excellent;

#5 was the throw to Higgins where Higgins was mugged before the ball got to him. How that wasn't PI is a mystery;

#6 was a spike to stop the clock;

#7 was a clear drop by Hooper;

#8 was a throwaway long and wide as the clock expired.

HALFTIME - (8) incompetions in the first half...two drops...four throwaways+spike...one BS, PI non-call...one poorly-thrown ball (officially...but really 2). So Baker "missed" one throw in the non-stop downpour in the first half...I say two with the second being unofficial. He really needs to tighten up his pre-game focus. saywhat

Baker will "miss" two throws in the second half. Here they are:

50 yard overthrow to Hodge...looked like a miscommunication as Hodge stopped/slowed somewhere on the route...Baker "overthrew" him by 10 yards or so;

Last incompletion was a throwaway as Baker was under quick pressure.

There's your (10)...of the (10)...ONE was a poorly thrown ball...an important one no doubt...the rain didn't seem to affect the other nine incompletions...he just missed one (call it two) there. 22 official passes in the non-stop, pouring rain and ONE was poor...we need to draft his replacement asap. rolleyes

Thanks Willie for taking the time to contribute with more insight to the stats.

Apart from his contribution as a playmaker I value his winning mentality, his leadership and his positive attitude who’s IMO a significant factor that most of our offensive players seems to be in good harmony.

These characteristics is also part of the Baker Mayfield package.

I will maintain my stance that with time he will become a really good QB because the talent and the mentality is there. What he needs in order to develop properly is another season together with KS and then the Browns FO should have enough time to fairly evaluate if he’s the right choice moving forward.

I would be very surprised if the owners and the GM don’t take the five year option or give him a new long term contract. You simply just don’t throw away a number one pick when the team is finally idoing the best season in a decade.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Darn right ! Going 22 for 22 against Cincinnati was not enough... more of a fluke than good QB play.

In fairness to Rishuz, one great game isn’t enough to judge him on. In the past he has had opportunities to put away opponents and didn’t do it. I would feel more comfortable with him long term if he can takeover a few more games.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R

In fairness to Rishuz, one great game isn’t enough to judge him on. In the past he has had opportunities to put away opponents and didn’t do it. I would feel more comfortable with him long term if he can takeover a few more games.

Yeah I thought that was implied.

But even common sense gets a certain segment triggered.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Pdawg, I agree 1 game isn't enough. I'm on record as wanting to see Baker improve and to be more consistent..... but this sentence is entirely singular in nature, there is no implication of multiple game samples being needed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You mean like the Cincinnati game?

There were probably some games in 2018, but that would not stop you either.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 11/26/20 10:25 PM. Reason: Saw prior references.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He has done that already and won

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
R
Legend
Legend
R

Pdawg, I agree 1 game isn't enough. I'm on record as wanting to see Baker improve and to be more consistent..... but this sentence is entirely singular in nature, there is no implication of multiple game samples being needed.

Lmao...like I said before, you could talk yourself into being poor thirty minutes after hitting power ball.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I think I get what you're saying. I do think it's worth noting however that at least in regards to Willie's breakdown that no one asserted that Baker showed any issues with making the correct reads or making good decisions.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

I think I get what you're saying. I do think it's worth noting however that at least in regards to Willie's breakdown that no one asserted that Baker showed any issues with making the correct reads or making good decisions.

This point is exceptional considering our opponents knew we were playing conservative and stacking the box most of the time. And the pressure was on.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M

Lmao...like I said before, you could talk yourself into being poor thirty minutes after hitting power ball.

So your original comment was singular in it's nature - if you *think* you implied something different, you didn't. As for the insulting posts about 'triggering' posters and this thing about talking myself poor ? Sort of deflections from the point that your original post definitely did not imply multiple games were needed. Most here have a similar evaluation of Baker - even the Baker supporters - most often say they want to see continual improvement from Baker in key areas. I don't think most here believe Baker making two bad throws to open receivers in a game should be used to suggest he isn't the guy. Every QB in the NFL can and has missed open receivers, even in good weather conditions. Willie is clearly a Baker supporter but his take was fair and detailed.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Insulting posts? Like the sarcasm one you posted that started this whole thing because you didn't like what I said? I think Vers is a lunatic but maybe he's right about you. There's a certain stalker quality there when you get triggered. And yes, that was meant to be insulting. I will own my behavior because quite frankly I truly don't give a chit. Will you own yours? If you don't, then we can keep going on and on and replace the void that Vers has left. Heck, maybe some will like that.

As for Baker it's a tough love thing for me. I am extremely critical of the guy. He's pedestrian. One good game against the Bengals doesn't change that. I also want to give him more time. I think he's top 10 when the light comes on. I am in his corner, even though I am hard on him. Do I need to put this as a disclaimer everytime I make a post that doesn't praise Baker so that you don't get triggered?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ahhhh - where I am from, sarcasm is humor. Yes, there is a certain poke-ness to the humor. But humor none the less. If you were insulted I apologize.

Here's my point without sarcasm - I think Baker has shown in multiple games flashes of 'big game' mentality. I think in the Bengals game going 22 for 22 was truly unique and in the same field as his rookie season accomplishments. Add to that I have seen him go through progressions and move D's with his eyes. I want to see more of that - and without doubt he needs to be more consistent. BUT - I think he's still getting coached ("virtually" for the first time in the NFL) and thinking about stuff - and he's just played in 3 games of seriously bad weather. I'm very encouraged - focusing on two really bad passes to open TE's on back to back plays seems to be overly negative imo. Even if it highlights the inconsistency, it seems to ignore and dismiss all the positives. Just how I see it.

Probably of bigger concern is the performance under pressure and against good teams... we'll find out soon on that front.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/27/20 10:05 AM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Been thinking lately that Baker reminds me somewhat of Doug Flutie. Bake has a stronger arm but Doug was much more nimble. Both may not put up great numbers every game, but they have a knack for winning.

Just a thought.

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/27/20 10:15 AM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
To add:

I re-started/continued this thread saying this:

"I noted in the Post Game thread the fact that in Baker's last game NOT played in hurricane winds or a non-stop downpour he threw 22 straight completions to end the game...with a W."

I think I saw in that Bengals game (or maybe just wanted-to-see) evidence of the "light bulb" coming on in Baker. Seeing the field, reading the defense, manipulating the defenders, calmness in the pocket, managing the huddle, etc...essentially a complete game from a winning QB. (Disclaimer: Yes, I know it was the Bengals...but I think they are better than their record...so there's that.)

BTW...all of that ^...finally...in game 10 of year 3 with his 4th head coach in COVID-land.

In the three games since the last Bengals game, we played in weather that could only reasonably exist in COVID-land. "Evaluating" QB play in that weather is largely meaningless...hero ball with splash passing plays were either impossible/ill-advised/or accidental (See D Watson).

What Baker DID do in the last three games was what he was ABLE to do and what was NEEDED to win. While he came from a winning program in college, winning in the NFL is a different animal. The QB is not ALWAYS going to be the one who "wins" the game and/or gets the highlights.

Year 1 was fun...year 2 was a completely lost year...year 3 is the rebuild/overhaul...during COVID...with HC #4. Baker is no where near the finished product we hoped-for from a #1 overall pick....but it appears to me that he's turned a corner towards what KS wants and what will be beneficial to his future in the NFL. Time will tell...as always.

Lastly, shout out to the poster above who mentioned Baker's intangibles regarding being a winner and a worker, etc. It's a pretty darned good combo

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Been thinking lately that Baker reminds me somewhat of Doug Flutie. Bake has a stronger arm but Doug was much more nimble. Both may not put up great numbers every game, but they have a knack for winning.

Just a thought.

That is a reasonable take...especially in a "Baker Comparisons" thread. I'm always hesitant to compare players from very-different eras...but I'm going to do it too.

Baker's arm-talent is vastly better than was Flutie's. Flutie's pro career started in the USFL and then essentially 8 years in the CFL. He was afforded the opportunity to move up from the college game to the/a pro game. Without that opportunity, I don't think he would have ever stuck around long enough to enter/re-enter the NFL.

I have had an impossible time deciding who I think is a good Baker comparison. I personally keep coming back to Brees...because he's the only guy I remember of similar stature with true NFL arm talent...more-recent era anyway. But Brees has been so good for so long that thoughts and debate on a Baker comparison end up all over the board. Similarly with R Wilson or A Rodgers...but Brees, Wilson and Rogers have been around for a long time...and with winning organizations...essentially polar opposite of Baker.

It may be blaspheme to suggest Joe Montana but it's not anymore unreasonable than other suggestions...but Baker again has a much stronger arm. If Baker can get back-to-close to his college accuracy level, Montana hopefully will be my favorite Baker comparison.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Physically in almost all aspects Baker and Brees is a great comparison. The difference at this point is that Brees is so good at reading and recognizing coverages. but look back at Brees in his 3rd year. Was he much better than Baker is now back then?

With all the coaching changes Baker has been through, I think that he is in a good place as a 3rd year player. He is not a franchise Qb at this point but he has potential to become one. He needs to keep working and keep improving.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think the Brees comparison is a good one. Baker's arm and mentality is much different. They just happen to both be 6 ft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The different mentality is a fair statement but I did start by saying physically.

As for arm strength, I actually think theirs are very similar

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree 100% with your last post...

Bottom line is we still need a larger sample size while still being in the same coaching regime. There's lots more to the big picture ... in no particular order:

- Bengals D was very bad.
- Baker is enjoying a long time to throw - although with the play action passes that take 2 seconds or more to develop, the stats that some like to throw out as a negative are skewed.
- During this bad weather spell - his stats have been decimated but as you mentioned, he's done enough to win.
- During the bad weather spell he's not been under pressure which is one of those areas we all hope to see improvement.
- Games against playoff caliber teams are coming: Titans, Steelers, Ravens.

It's still been a fun ride and 7-3 is enjoyable.

Legend
Legend

Maybe as exercise player comparisons are fun.

Honestly though I miss the point.

Each player stands alone. You can compare physical stats of height/weight etc. Mobility or lack of mobility. Arm strength etc.

However, each guy has his own characteristics. Each player plays for a different organization and has different players around him.

Baker at this stage because of the circumstances that he faced is incomplete.

We have seen him play well. Play poorly. And all measures between.

But I don't think we know yet who he really is. That is why I see him as incomplete.

My attitude is to just watch him play and see how he performs.

I do remain optimistic. I have seen enough to believe he may turn out to be good.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Agree 100% with your last post...

Bottom line is we still need a larger sample size while still being in the same coaching regime. There's lots more to the big picture ... in no particular order:

- Bengals D was very bad.
- Baker is enjoying a long time to throw - although with the play action passes that take 2 seconds or more to develop, the stats that some like to throw out as a negative are skewed.
- During this bad weather spell - his stats have been decimated but as you mentioned, he's done enough to win.
- During the bad weather spell he's not been under pressure which is one of those areas we all hope to see improvement.
- Games against playoff caliber teams are coming: Titans, Steelers, Ravens.

It's still been a fun ride and 7-3 is enjoyable.

I'm so ready for a mild weather game. Oh, hey, we're playing in Florida this Sunday!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

May I offer Fran Tarkenton as a comparison. Different era, but I think similar styles. Fran was, in his day, the ultimate scrambler. Here is a first 3 years stats comparison as a starting point.

1961 - 10 starts (14 played) record 2-8, 204c/377a for 54.1%, 29TD/19int
1962 - 14 (14), 2-11-1, 163c/329a for 49.5%, 22TD/25int
1963 - 13 (14), 4-8-1, 170c/297a for 57.2%, 15TD/15int
Total - 37 (42), 8-27-2, 537c/1003a for 53.5%, 66TD/59int

Baker
2018 - 13 (14), 6-7, 310c/486a for 63.8%, 27TD/14int
2019 - 16 (16), 6-10, 317c/534a for 59.4%, 22TD/21int
2020 - 10 (10), 7-3, 161c/265a for 60.8%, 15TD/7int
Total - 39 (40), 19-20, 788c/1285a for 61.3%, 64TD/42int

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Baker much better arm strength. Brees better arm talent at this point in time.

You talk about Joe Burrows all the time in terms of arm talent. Joe Burrows and Drew Brees are very similar in that regard. Not the the greatest in terms of arm strength but very comparable in terms of arm talent.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Tarkenton was more comparable to Flutie with much better arm talent, in my estimation. He epitomized the term "scrambler".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What do you mean by arm talent as opposed to arm strength?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
What do you mean by arm talent as opposed to arm strength?

As I understand the terms. Arm strength is being able to throw with velocity from a number of slots, as opposed to the idea of just rearing back to throw the ball as far as you can.

Arm talent is being able to effectively throw with touch, such as outs, over the LB and in front of the DBs, and so forth.

I am sure that others can add to this.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks, that's helpful

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Exactly.

Legend
Legend
Everybody should see those as different from one another. Some of it does blend a bit, like trying to separate the dancer from the dance, but seems clear as stated here. How much each of these can be taught and improved varies individually. Need third category, long tom cannon arm, for the raw reach and distance a thrower can generate, how far can that hail, Mary pass be launched?

Still, doesn't work well to use these interchangeably IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Comparisons 3

Link Copied to Clipboard