Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1824225 12/08/20 07:45 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Another huge one. This is a chance to bury the Ravens, and bury some ghosts, too.

I haven’t seen Baltimore play since they whipped us in Week 1, so I’m hoping other dawgs here can provide insight on our best chances to beat them. Can they be thrown on, like we did against the Titans?

We’re playing better than they are right now - judging by the standings.

On O:

The usual; run the ball, get Baker going in play action and make them fear both the run and the pass.

D: don’t let Lamar get outside the pocket, compress it for him. Hope MG pressures LJ and hope the refs see all the holds on him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Game one was always kind of a wipeout in my mind. I saw quite a few good things that day before the game got out of hand -- mainly because of ourselves. Then you factor that we had barely any time to practice with a mostly new staff and tons of roster turnover vs. Captain 'Stability" Harbaugh over there and it was not surprising.

This Ravens team is no better than the Browns. Not dissing them or what they have done, but we now have a better oline, imo, a better dline, a better passing QB, 2 better RBs (& DJ + Hilliard), WRs a wash after we own with just Jarvis, an excellent TE corps that is actually better than theirs with Andrews, I think better depth all around and in my mind possibly a better coach. Harbaugh was almost gone a couple years ago...and he is a damn good coach, that is proven, but I think Stefanski is a higher IQ guy than him and going to be even more successful. I never wanted Snead cut, but he starts for these guys when healthy. Marquise is a classic overrated fast, little guy, although if he played in a real pass offense (which Bmore isn't) he could maybe be more of a weapon. I doubt it though, his skillset is not that special around the league, he benefits a lot from single coverage, Andrews, Lamar, play action orientation and an offense that never stresses him.

Lamar is a special talent, but one knee injury earlier this year allowed him to play but they shut his running game down. That is the game you play with that style of QB. Hell, RBs barely last let alone QBs like Lamar. He is going to start getting hit eventually too, that is just fact if he continues to run when healthy.

Looking forward to watching these choadlers tonight, time to get a stream going.

*ETA: Typos

Last edited by Riffer X; 12/08/20 09:04 PM.

"Does Howdy Doody got Wooden balls, man?"
Legend
Legend
They are running it right down the Cowboys throats tonight. Several huge gains and a TD between the tackles and it's still the 1st qtr. Dobbins and Jackson are a nice 1-2 punch. We better be ready to plug the gaps.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hate Dobbins for being a Raven. I know it’s not his fault but I still hate him for it.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns lose this game to the Ravens, the Browns will miss the playoffs even if 11-5.

Ya I said it!

And Why didn't Stefanski have a better gameplan in the opener?

I hate the Ravens and the Steelers, I hate Philadelphia, I hate the entire east coast!

I hope their team dissolves into a pile of quicksand.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Are the Browns trying hard enough to get the ball into the end zone?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I watched the Ravens tonight. We should win this game. We need to contain the run, period.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I watched the Ravens tonight. We should win this game. We need to contain the run, period.

Man, as much as I try not to get cocky, I think the Browns eff these boys up.

They have no semblance of a normal offensive flow right now, and the Browns do. Ravens and Martindale going to struggle with the Browns O, much more than we do with Lamar.

Hardly anybody is paying attention, but our backers are playing really good football collectively -- at least compared to the rest of the league, not the 85 Bears.

Anybody hear about Ward? He would shut little dick down and allow us to really get aggressive and/or put the pressure on Lamar.

Rookie
Rookie
The Ravens look pretty beatable.
Will Garrett be back?

Tim Couch is the most underrated QB of the century.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: WolverineKilla
The Ravens look pretty beatable.
Will Garrett be back?

Myles Garrett? If so, yes.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If we can bring the same run-stuffing we did vs Tenn and get into an offensive flow out of the gate, then I really really like our chances.

The key for us in general, and the key to playing the Ravens is the same thing. Get out to a lead early, and make their offense 1-dimensional.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
The Titans game was a dress rehearsal for Baltimore.

No Craps Given
T
Legend
Legend
T
I watched the Ravens tonight.

I don't see any way the Browns don't get beaten soundly by them,
flamingmad

Their defense, you can't pass against them, you can't run against them.

Browns have no answer for Lamar Jackson,

Have the Browns yet demonstrated, in the last several years, that they can move the ball with short quick passes? No, and
that appears to be the only thing that works against the Ravens D.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The cowboys suck. They're last in yards allowed on the ground. They had several chances to keep it close. And they shot themselves in the foot several times.

Lamar and the run is thing that makes them so dynamic. THey run the option well, myles and the LB crew will have to be disciplined to plug holes.

They have a good rotation with Dobbins.

Lamar's biggest flaw is that once he feels pressure, he's quick to stop going through his progressions, pulls it down and run. It's almost like a counter punch though... because he is athletic enough to escape the sack.

There are ways to contain lamar.
The trick tends to be to do more corral style sacks, the KC defense isn't super great but this is something they did really well. They'll run past him.. which causes him to stop scanning the field.

It's a tall order. But this team dropped 40 on them last year.

Lets get it done

Rookie
Rookie
Do y'all believe in the Madden Curse? Perhaps the football gods will side with us and some of that will kick in Sunday.
Or the season could be ended over the week because of covid and the playoffs get started early and we make it in over them, I would take that too.

Tim Couch is the most underrated QB of the century.
Legend
Legend

Is it just your thing to always answer in the negative?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
There couldn’t be a more perfect mesh of teams playing THIS Monday night.

Legend
Legend

There are no "we should beat these guys."

There is only "how you play the game that day."

This Ravens have beaten us. We have beaten them.

They are a well coached, hard nosed, disciplined team. They are solid in all aspects of the game.

We need to stick to who we are. On offense in this game we should be balanced. Give them lots to think about on defense. Use the whole field. Throw to many receivers including the backs and TE's. Mix in the run with both backs. We have a diverse offense and this is the game to use it all.

Weather looks to be just cold with wind 10 to 20 mph. Normal December weather.

In the Titan game we went with a different look. We played 5x3 and 4x4 look. It was about stopping Henry.

The Ravens game is about spying Lamar and making him beat you throwing. He is so dangerous as a runner. We have no answer with him running. I don't see us blitzing much. Use Vernon and Myles to pinch the outside. Keep Lamar inside.
Mix man and zone coverage. Guard the inside of the field in zone and play man outside. We want him to throw outside. That is not his strength.

They like to run it inside. Gap coverage inside will be super important. The goal in this game is protect the space inside. Harrison missing hurts. Inside linebacker and safety play will be important.

It feels like they will score on us. We just need to make them earn it. Keep them from big plays.

On offense we want to posses the ball. Long drives using the full diverse offense. Score TD's not field goals.

The Ravens have the best kicker in the game. So playing good red zone defense we will be ok. If we give up field goals to them and score TD's on our possessions.

This will be a tough division game. We are playing well on a four game winning streak. We need this game. It will more or less stamp our playoff ticket.

The Ravens are against the ropes with their season on the line. They will be in desperation mode. I expect them to take chances. Go on fourth down. They will be going all out.

We have to match their intensity.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Rookie
Rookie
Play the run.you know hotdog Jackson is going to run a few times..make him pay.
Play clock management, keep the ball away from Baltimore..wear them down.
No turn overs.run all over them in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by 2020; 12/09/20 09:15 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think that's a perfect summary - we can get granular and talk about some of that in more detail but I think you are spot on.

Lamar was coming back from time off - maybe a little rusty, but every time he took off running he was electric. Containing that while stopping the run and not giving up easy passes is not going to be easy with the D we have! Our D Line can play their butts off - but unless someone from the LB or DB crew steps up and does their job when they are 1-1 with a RB/WR/TE or Lamar, we are in for a long day. On his passing he was off target on many occasions when he felt pressure ... but he did make a beautiful throw to the corner of the end zone for Brown's TD. It was a busted route so the play was even more impressive - if Baker had made the same throw we would have all been singing his praise for an elite play.

Looking forward to Monday very much.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Supposedly, the term for a group of ravens is 'an unkindness'. Not flock.

Carry on.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

At days end on defense we have to protect the middle of the field.

That is against their run game and pass game. If Lamar runs outside we use the sidelines to tackle him. If he throws outside we may have pick opportunities.

My fear is when they run inside or Lamar "draws" up the middle.

The best way to beat them is control the game with our offense.

They will be aggressive on rushing the passer. We have to use fast developing plays where the ball is out quick.
So use of the TE's and RB's will be important.

This is about long drives based WCO concepts.

I expect war in this game.

We will need to up for this game. We have payback to dish out.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bone - i hope that our coaches have the same game plan you laid out. Perfect synopsis of what is needed to beat the Ravens.

I was not impressed with the Ravens last night on offense and especially on defense. Their O-line without Stanley and Yanda looked meh. Defense has no leader like years past (ie. Reed, Lewis, Mosely).

Very beatable. Just have to play smart, disciplined, tough football on both sides. Win the turnover battle, force Lamar to throw, tackle, and stay balanced on offense and make use of all our receivers.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Dallas, a team ranking low across the board in comparables and led by Andy Dalton managed to keep the game in reach for 3 quarters. They are a bit better than the Titans on D, but they are not the team that trounced us in the opener and they are not the offensive juggernaut they were last year. Lamar and whoever their #35 is did much of the damage last night. We need to contain them on the run and make Lamar beat us in the air. OR if the weather is still going to be bad and gusty, we need to grind it out on the ground. I think Teller getting back would make this much easier, but even without him I think we will be able to run down their throats.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

Thanks.

Last night the Dallas run defense was out of control.

They are terrible. So that game is hard to gain perspective.

I respect the Ravens. They will be on high alert against us.

I expect a tough game.

But we can take their heart out by controlling the ball with long drives and TD's. Get them down two scores. They are not a good team when trailing.

Legend
Legend
Do what you can to keep Lamar in the pocket, have to rush with discipline.. he's frustrating to play against because you can do everything exactly right for 3 downs and then he breaks contain on 3rd down and runs for 9 yards and a fresh set of downs. I get that it's kind of demoralizing and frustrating to a defense. But you have to keep those to 9 yards, not 39 yards.

This team lost, at home, 2 weeks ago, to the team we just beat.. they are beatable. People get on the Browns for not beating anybody... the Ravens beat us in Week 1 and the Colts, that's their only 2 wins against teams with a winning record.. they lost to the Chiefs by 2 TDs, lost to the Steelers twice, lost to the Patriots, lost to the Titans.

Develop a good plan, execute the plan, minimize mistakes and there is no reason we can't win the game.

Oh, and call holding every once in a while on whoever is blocking Myles Garrett.. I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 12/09/20 11:11 AM.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I watched the Ravens tonight.

I don't see any way the Browns don't get beaten soundly by them,
flamingmad

Their defense, you can't pass against them, you can't run against them.

Browns have no answer for Lamar Jackson,

Have the Browns yet demonstrated, in the last several years, that they can move the ball with short quick passes? No, and
that appears to be the only thing that works against the Ravens D.

Debbie Downer still?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

We have to use fast developing plays where the ball is out quick.
So use of the TE's and RB's will be important.

This in spades. Anyone think the Ravens will have a man ready and waiting to hurt Baker whenever he rolls out to his left ... unless we have done enough to set up the run or quick passing plays consistently?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Bonefish laid it out perfectly.
Also, remember, we beat a Dallas team more soundly that had a healthy Dak, and one of the better offenses in the league at the time.

Legend
Legend
There will be no problem about motivation in this game.

Ravens are playing for their season.

We have more riding on this game than we have had since we were a playoff team.

Make no mistake this will be a intense game. We will need to be at our best.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Oh, and call holding every once in a while on whoever is blocking Myles Garrett.. I'd appreciate it.

I'm not holding my breath.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Jump out to an early lead negating their run game. Force Lamar to beat with you with his arm. Browns win.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Jump out to an early lead negating their run game. Force Lamar to beat with you with his arm. Browns win.

Same recipe used against Tennessee.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Thanks.

Last night the Dallas run defense was out of control.

They are terrible. So that game is hard to gain perspective.

I respect the Ravens. They will be on high alert against us.

I expect a tough game.

But we can take their heart out by controlling the ball with long drives and TD's. Get them down two scores. They are not a good team when trailing.

Two things happened on every big run by Lamar last night: First, the DE pushed too far upfield while the DT next to him played Read-n-React leaving a large gap for Lamar to run through. This is bad enough, but the second thing that happened more than once on these was that the linebacker and/or safety behind that gap that SHOULD have been filling it instead inexplicably shifted to the other side of the defense (maybe following someone in the backfield). He basically abandoned the giant gap that was just manufactured by the DE running too far upfield and the DT sitting tight at the line.

If your DEs are going to get upfield, you need to push the middle of the pocket, too... or the DE needs to be aware and slow his push; unless he can stunt inside the tackle, but then you MUST make sure a Safety behind is taking the edge.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
edge and gap integrity a must.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just a thought. If we come out next Monday night and play lousy, lose by 10-14 points how are many on this board going to react? It's great we're winning and I am as excited about it as anyone but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. The Titans game was great but it's ONE game. I hope we play that way from now on but let's be realistic; we've been very disappointed before. Let's take it a game at a time and stay on an even keel. JMO

T
Legend
Legend
T
gc, Cleveland has got to say Enough with this losing division games for 25 years.

You don't deserve to make the playoffs if you go 2-4 in your division anyway.
They aren't 2-4 yet, but are they going to beat Baltimore or Pittsburgh?

and think about it, They beat Pittsburgh, and they forced us to lose Myles Garrett for the rest of the year.

Cuss them.

Legend
Legend

It is easy to hung up on the playoff picture.

However, the only way to approach this is the way KS has preached 1-0.

Like everyone I look at the games and ponder "who will we lose too?"?

We could lose to anyone on the schedule. Even the Jets.

So our mission has to be 1-0 win this week. Prepare for this week. That is all.

The Ravens have no other game right now but us. They have to win this game. So, yes we could lose and still make the playoffs.

However, for the team they should approach no different than the Ravens. It is a must win game.

Lay it all out there on the field. Prepare to win.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'll argue this MNF Browns Ravens game is bigger than 2 of the last 3 playoff games the Browns played, 2 in 1994 ish and 1 in 2002'ish, w/t/ exception of the div rounder.

and equal in importance to, (or greater than), the 2nd Browns Steelers regular season matchup of 1994, which I kind of care so much about not repeating that it's the basis of my screen name on this site!

Even though last weeks game exists,
this is again the Biggest Game for the Browns since 1995,

and in 1995, and in 2001, was it a 3 way race for the div, or a 2 way.

Baltimore, was 14-2 Last Year. With Lamar Jackson!
and their final 3 games are
jaguars,
Giants
At Bengals. And it's not even a Joe Burrow Bengals!

3rd place teams in a div have no chance.

If the Browns lose this game, they will be counting on 2 win teams to beat 10 win teams in week 17, like jags over colts, jets over patriots, stuff like that.

Must win this game.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 42 Ravens 47 Beating Baltimore

Link Copied to Clipboard