Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Nice!!

I can honestly say I've never noticed Njoku actually blocking before. I need to watch him closer, now.

If he's doing this and can get his hands more consistent, then he'll have become what his potential always said he could.

I think he is trying a lot harder this year, still saw him get tossed aside by Schobert...he ends up the ground I think more than anyone...Then again his forte has never been as a blocker. But least he's not completely whiffing. He has crazy long arms, which should help him keep the defenders out of his chest...But he seems to allow the defenders in rather easy. I will say his effort is better than years effort and he staying with it.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Nice!!

I can honestly say I've never noticed Njoku actually blocking before. I need to watch him closer, now.

If he's doing this and can get his hands more consistent, then he'll have become what his potential always said he could.

Njoku! Has (some of) the most consistent hands on the team they just never throw to him!

His Hands, are his biggest asset, better than his speed, his yac ability, or jukedness to create separation.
The only thing that surpasses his excellent hands is his awesome Touchdown to catch ratio.

Just about every time they throw it to him, he catchtes it, and just about every 2nd or 3rd time it's a touchdown catch.

The only problem with Njoku, is we don't see him more often, and maybe abilitiy to keep from getting injured.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
jfanent #1821965 12/05/20 04:42 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: jfanent
It's a shame Joe Thomas missed out on being part of that.

I thought he was still coaching on the Browns, or advising in a coaching type role.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Njoku! Has (some of) the most consistent hands on the team they just never throw to him!

As in he is consistently inconsistent - right?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
cfrs15 #1821998 12/05/20 08:02 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Can you imagine these guys getting a full offseason to work together? A full camp I mean. OTAs and the whole shabang. Timing and repetition is what makes this type of offense better.

I am kind of curious how Lamm is developing with Callahan. To build a stable line that lasts for years, you got to develop guys who are backups. Continue to draft Oline studs, and grow them in the system. Pittsburgh has been doing this for years.

We have not kept the same offensive and defensive systems for years. Time to latch on to one and keep it no matter who the coaches are. Create the Browns system, just as the Steelers do. It makes drafting and developing players much easier.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
cfrs15 #1822008 12/05/20 09:06 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
How long of a contract did Callahan sign? Hope we keep him for many years to come!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
You've been watching a different Njoku. The one you're describing sounds more like K2. The one the rest of us have seen is more like Quincy Morgan. The only thing consistent about his hands is his inconsistency.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Nice!!

I think he is trying a lot harder this year, still saw him get tossed aside by Schobert...he ends up the ground I think more than anyone...Then again his forte has never been as a blocker. But least he's not completely whiffing. He has crazy long arms, which should help him keep the defenders out of his chest...But he seems to allow the defenders in rather easy. I will say his effort is better than years effort and he staying with it.

I don't think Njoku has or is ever going to have the body mechanics to become a good blocker. Here's what I mean:

The bulk of my personal sports history was wrestling. Wrestling is obviously about strength and leverage (among other things) but it is also about being able to position your body to make yourself 'heavier'. You can achieve that by being able to lower your center of gravity.

Well what's Njoku's background? He's a champion high jumper right? Something like 6 feet plus? Everything his body is tuned for is raising his center of gravity in order to get that extra height.

Njoku has always seemed 'light' to me. He has a thin waist and hips. Watch when he gets tackled. All it takes is for a LB to get 1 arm around his waist and he easily turns his hips which brings him down. When you put a guy with a higher center of gravity and long arms against a DE, LB, or even DB.. all positions that use a lower center of gravity for leverage, its pretty easy to see why they can shed his blocks so easy.

At least that's what it appears to me.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
During today's game, they showed a picture of the headshots of the Browns OL. If you just looked at the pictures and tried to decide, as a DL, which one not to face, it would not be hard. Teller's neck is about 1 1/2 the thickness of the others. He looks like someone who could shove a house off its foundation if he wanted to, lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I would like to thank the person who got Teller’s HGH regimen dialed in.

cfrs15 #1823645 12/07/20 07:44 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I would like to thank the person who got Teller’s HGH regimen dialed in.

I've been secretly hoping we don't learn something like this at some point.

cfrs15 #1823648 12/07/20 07:56 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I would like to thank Wyatt teller for busting his butt in a very difficult off season to be ready to play and then going out and playing at a pro bowl level. Great job Wyatt!!!!

Legend
Legend
Must agree. He didn't achieve this on practice reps. What a ton of work he must have done.

Hats off to the Teller-man; give us some more of this play.

Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
During today's game, they showed a picture of the headshots of the Browns OL. If you just looked at the pictures and tried to decide, as a DL, which one not to face, it would not be hard. Teller's neck is about 1 1/2 the thickness of the others. He looks like someone who could shove a house off its foundation if he wanted to, lol

There was a run in the first half , i believe it was the chubb 12 yardish when off right side, Teller was holding his block and as soon as chubb got on his hip he was like ok, enough of this and took that DL and just tossed him like a punter and got out and started blocking downfield..i was like damn. Of all the hires we had in the offseason, Callahan was probably the best

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Of all the hires we had in the offseason, Callahan was probably the best
I would say 2nd best, behind only KS

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

There was a run in the first half , i believe it was the chubb 12 yardish when off right side, Teller was holding his block and as soon as chubb got on his hip he was like ok, enough of this and took that DL and just tossed him like a punter and got out and started blocking downfield..i was like damn. Of all the hires we had in the offseason, Callahan was probably the best

I think he should simply say, "Hulk smash!" wink lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think he should simply say, "Hulk smash!" wink lol

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
cfrs15 #1827203 12/15/20 01:27 PM
Legend
Legend
hey we're all feeling good about Wills over Thomas and Wirfs, right?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1827206 12/15/20 01:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish

I am

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
bUtT hE pLaYeD rItE tAcKeL iN cOlLaGe!!

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1827221 12/15/20 02:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

Yeah, I'd say you can use ink to write that he is the best OT from that class. I just hope he's ok after the game last night. I can't even recall if he went back in.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
He returned to the game.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I NEVER EVER EVER said anything remotely close to that ... I thought the switch would be no big deal ... thumbsup

Nice to know that even after not posting for 3 or 4 months I’m still living rent free in your head ....

ThANks FoR LeTtIng me KnoW ... tongue

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, hello! Good to see you posting.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Well, hello! Good to see you posting.

Thanks ... not back though ... just had to call out MEMPHIS AND HIS FLAT OUT LIE ...

U want me to post ... Lie about something i said ... *L* ..

I hope all is well with U and yours oooob ... hope u have a great holiday season and cook up some good stuff in your relatively new smoker ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
I always figured that he would make the change from RT to LT and be good but I have been pleasantly surprised with how fast he seems to have made the adjustments.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I NEVER EVER EVER said anything remotely close to that ... I thought the switch would be no big deal ... thumbsup

Nice to know that even after not posting for 3 or 4 months I’m still living rent free in your head ....

ThANks FoR LeTtIng me KnoW ... tongue

That wasn't directed at you. And if this post is what got you to post after 3 or 4 months, I think we know who is living rent free.

Tackles are tackles.
cfrs15 #1827309 12/15/20 05:20 PM
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Thomas got abused by the Cardinals last week...hopefully MG can have a big game against him too.

I thinks Wirfs has been pretty good, but he's been hurt a bit, I think? And so has Becton?

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 12/15/20 05:23 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Someone else does that? ... rofl

Bye Bye ...

cfrs15 #1827506 12/16/20 10:53 AM
Legend
Legend

J.C. Tretter is 4th among centers

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Now that's a heck of a thing.

We might have a few Pro Bowlers on that line this year.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1829655 12/21/20 03:57 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Man, I love Jarvis. If only the Refs would stop targeting him for BS calls he's be the perfect WR.

myka #1829656 12/21/20 04:02 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
That call last night was BS. Overall, though, I'd say Jarvis does earn his penalty yards.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
cfrs15 #1829659 12/21/20 04:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Browns rookie center Nick Harris steps up big, receives high praise from coaches, teammates

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/br...aches-teammates

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Browns are no stranger to injuries this season, especially at right guard. On Sunday night as the Browns took on the New York Giants, they did so with versatile offensive lineman Chris Hubbard filling in for right guard Wyatt Teller, who was ruled out Friday with an ankle injury.

In the first quarter, however, Hubbard sustained a knee injury and was sidelined for the remainder of the game. With their backup right guard unable to play, the Browns called upon rookie center Nick Harris to fill in.

In prime-time, Harris took his first real snaps as a Cleveland Brown, and he did so out of his usual position, which is a testament to his talent, his position coach, Cleveland’s ability to develop young players and the “next man up” mentality the team has embraced this season.

Back to his roots
Before Sunday’s game, Harris had taken just one snap for the Browns on offense this season, at center. By the time Cleveland had its 10th victory, Harris had a season total of 63 snaps.

Filling in at right guard was a big ask for Harris, who was drafted as a center out of Washington this year. And although he is a center, Sunday night wasn’t his first time playing at right guard.

Harris began his college football career at Washington playing at both left and right guard. He earned his first start for the Huskies at left guard and played in meaningful games at both positions that year, including starting at right guard in the 2016 Pac-12 championship game and in the 2016 Peach Bowl.

After his freshman year, Harris continued to play right guard, earning Academic All-Pac-12 honorable mention, honorable mention All-Pac-12 and was named the coaches’ lineman of the game against Utah.

Harris shifted to center his junior year and played the position the rest of his time at Washington.

Although he had no NFL experience at right guard, Harris was familiar with the position and played it well in college, and the Browns trusted him to bring those skills they needed it most.

Shaped by Bill Callahan
Throughout the season, head coach Kevin Stefanski, players and even general manager Andrew Berry have all sung the praises of offensive line coach Bill Callahan—and for good reason.

“I think that [the offensive line] has been outstanding. I can’t say this enough, but I would also like to throw in, in terms of additions, Bill Callahan into that group. I can’t overstate his impact on that position group. It is going to be a part of our DNA. That is a group that we want to make sure is strong and deep for the long term because it really does set a foundation for your offense,” Berry said in November.

Yes, the Browns bolstered their o-line with talent during the offseason, but under Callahan the line has thrived with its players among the top-ranked at their respective positions.

At guard, Wyatt Teller and Joel Bitonio lead the league in PFF’s offensive grading, with Teller ranked No. 1 and Bitonio ranked No. 3. The Browns offensive line was the highest graded-group in Week 13 and had been all season, both in run blocking and pass protection.

Callahan has helped create a culture of success for the offensive line. Back in August, he had this to say of rookie Harris as he continued to work with him:

His development has been interesting, just because of the fact that he was not expected to come in and run the show. He has been impressive in the sense that he can communicate all of the various sequences of communications along the line, whether it is the point system or the call system. He can get us in and out of the protection calls that we need to make. That aspect for a young center has been really impressive. Then of course, trying to bring him up to speed with all the physical fundamental techniques at his position, it has been really challenging, but he is a guy that continues to make strides and improvement.

So far, we are really pleased, but until you get him matched up against teams like Baltimore and obviously Cincinnati, you just do not know. He has just come in there with a really good confidence about himself and nice poise, and that is refreshing for a young player. You do not have to worry about him not being able to get up to the line and ID the front or make the right call. He is still learning of course – he is not there yet – but he has really, really made tremendous strides, especially for that position. For a guy to come in and do that, I have been fortunate to have a couple of guys like that in my past, and he has kind of run that same type of flow in terms of communication so that is great to see.
Callahan and the team have been working to perfect Harris, but ready or not, on what is a very good Browns offensive line, he was called upon to fill in at right guard—a task Stefanski said he wasn’t surprised with his ability to do.

“I know Nick is going to battle. I am not surprised. I have not watched the tape, but I am not surprised that he can go in there and battle and fight. He is a very smart player, being able to play center and guard for us. Not surprised that he is ready to go when we need him,” Stefanski said after Sunday’s game. “Have to look at the tape to give you a full evaluation, but really pleased with where Nick is as a player. He is continuing to develop and works very, very hard with Coach Callahan and [assistant offensive line] Coach [Scott] Peters.”

The tape might show some flaws and missteps, sure. But with Harris on the line, quarterback Baker Mayfield was only sacked once, early in the third quarter. Cleveland may have taken it easy on the rookie by moving the run game through the left side of the line primarily, but he was able to hold his own in a high-pressure situation.

Efforts appreciated
As Stefanski praised the efforts of Harris after Sunday night’s game, so did some of his fellow teammates.

Mayfield said that it’s hard to see a teammate go down, especially one as versatile as Hubbard, but raved about the efforts Harris gave while filling in.

“The way Nick Harris stepped up and played guard, he is our backup center, and for him to be able to step up and play a different position is tremendous. Hats off to him for mentally being ready and being able to come out there and play well,” Mayfield said after the game.

While he got love from his quarterback, the rookie drew the highest praise from wide receiver Jarvis Landry Sunday night.

“Listen, the first person I went to after the game – I know he is going to get interviewed after I say it this week – is him. Just giving him the praise and respect because he is a center. I do not know how much guard he has played in his life, but he stepped up, stepped in and did what he had to do. The offense continued to flow as is. That was something that was very special,” Landry said following the game.

“I went to him after the game and told him, ‘I appreciate you. I appreciate the way you work. I appreciate the way that you can step into a role that you maybe weren’t prepared for and still be able to get the job done.’ It speaks volumes about this kid. It speaks volumes about Andrew Berry being able to draft this guy, who is as versatile as he is and can come in and make these plays and do the assignments that we need to have successful plays and win the football game.”

Landry said he had never seen Harris play at guard before.

“It is like, ‘Wait, this rookie came in the first quarter, played the whole game and did what he had to do. He kicked ass.’ That is something that does not go unnoticed. I just wanted to let him know that personally that I was proud of the way he came out and did what he had to do for the team,” Landry said.

Self-evaluation
On Monday, Harris said that he was excited to get out on the field and felt good to be out there under the prime-time lights.

"It was fun. It was good to get back on the field and play a football game. I haven't played an actual game in awhile. So it felt good to get out there and run around and just try to play my brand of football," Harris said. "I think I did okay. There's a lot to clean up. I want to be the best, so I'm going to watch the film and see where I can get better and see how I can help the team and just go from there."

Harris said that he's prepared for his moment all season, and now that it's here, he wants to be ready for it.

"I go into every game as if I'm going to play. That's how you have to do it," Harris said. "I make sure I go over center and guard things and just make sure if my name is called that I'm ready to go assignment wise."

The rookie said he gets reps on the scout team at guard and he believes the extra work he puts in with Callahan and Peters paid off Sunday night.

"I just have to get my feet wet a little bit and play how I play, but I felt comfortable, and as the weeks go by and I get more reps it'll feel even better," Harris said. "I'm just grateful to have this opportunity. Just trying to build off it and trying be the best player and best version of myself I can be. With that, I have to go in this week and get better—go try and fix what I did wrong and build off that."

The praise Harris received from his coach and teammates was well deserved. With Hubbard out for "significant time" and Teller still dealing with an ankle injury, there’s a good chance Sunday night wasn’t the last time Harris will play a big role and he should be a guy fans keep their eye on as he continues to develop into something special for the Cleveland Browns.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Below, the Browns 2020 draft...

1...Jed Wills Jr......T...Alabama
2...Grant Delpit......S...LSU
3...Jordan Elliott....DT..Texas
3...Jacob Phillips....LB..LSU
4...Harrison Bryant...TE..Florida Atlantic
5...Nick Harris.......C...Washington
6...Donovan Peoples-Jones...WR...Michigan

Judging the quality of any NFL team's draft can take years to judge as coaches wait to see those who were drafted perform on the field.

The draft class of 2020 looks to be "very good" as all but one of the players drafted by the Browns have performed on the field and have developed into quality starters and backups, top to bottom.

The only player not to see the field was 2nd pick Grant Delpit, the Safety out of LSU. He suffered an achilles tendon injury in training camp. Hopefully Delpit will recover well enough to contribute in 2021...then we can give a final grade on the 2020 draft.

After watching Nick Harris fill in and play well against the Giants, I feel much better about the depth on our OLine and the overall quality of the 2020 draft.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1830020 12/22/20 09:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Early returns are good; get back to me when we are nearing the end of the 2022 season, however.

We've had oodles of drafts where guys have contributed only for them to get washed over the following year. Granted, this has historically been a case where guys contribute out of a sheer lack of other options, and they get washed over due to internal turmoil, turnover, instability, changes in scheme, etc...... BUT, it is nothing new.

That said, this group does look different. DPJ is contributing in a pretty solid WR room. Bryant is contributing in a fairly stacked TE room. Harris looked like he belongs there with the best OLine in football, and so does Wills. That right there is enough solid hits to make this draft a homerun, I think.

Phillips, until further evaluation, is definitely there because we have nothing else. I can't say that I've even seen Elliot on the field. We need to see a good bit more from both. Delpit is a total TBD.

So, interestingly, our offensive players chosen are solid and contributing on our stacked unit. Our defensive players - fighting for time or unable to see the field on our weakest unit - are the question marks.

Browns is the Browns

cfrs15 #1830026 12/22/20 10:22 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
It will be interesting to see how Harris grades out for the game. But it's pretty obvious he did his job well. Good for you young man.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
It will be interesting to see how Harris grades out for the game. But it's pretty obvious he did his job well. Good for you young man.

I'm guessing pass pro grade was far better than run blocking.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/nick-harris/46752

Tackles are tackles.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive line

Link Copied to Clipboard