Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just sort of curious but, how many people think the Browns can make a real push for a SB appearance?

I think that if we can get a few players back and healthy we have the horses to make a real run. I have always thought that any team experiencing the 1st time in the playoffs were bound to lose and that it was part of the growing process to get in and lose then once understanding what it takes to get to the dance they were better prepared for what they would face in the PO and in the SB to follow.

I see non of that in the current Browns team. They have come together and work and fight together like no team I remember. On top of all that in the middle of a pandemic. Home field this season isn't going to be the advantage it would be in a normal year either.

If we can get Harrison back and a fully healthy Ward on D and get and keep Teller on the field I think we have a great shot at winning it all. I have a clear picture of what we will face but this offense is off the charts when healthy. Between Bake, Chubb, Hunt, Landry, Hopper, Bryant, Higgens, Hodge, we are nearly impossible to stop.

Who else thinks we can get it done? Or am I just having a nice dream?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

I mean you probably will need the to drink the pot.

And then hire an interpreter

Legend
Legend
I don't think we have much of a prayer. Would love to come out of this with a playoff win to build on.

Defense wins championships... Cliche? Maybe in the case of the Chiefs, or back in the days of "the greatest show on turf", but we're not near that level yet. QB is not a finished product and WRs are still either "not a threat" or not yet ready for prime time.

The defense? Is terrible. I know we had strung together a few decent games before the recent rash of injuries, but there will be injuries in the playoffs as well. "Next man up" wouldn't have a roster spot on most of the teams heading to the post season.

I get what you're saying, and there is nothing wrong with dreaming - and yes - "any given Sunday". I'm just not getting my hopes up.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Sure. Why not? Somebody has to win it.

I refuse to look beyond tonight. But as well, let's not argue only about our own weaknesses, players lost to injuries, new injuries, and all the rest. Other teams are fighting the same war of attrition that we face. Stefanski is learning, and has shown an ability to troubleshoot slap-patch fixes that have worked. Woods needs help. But we are playing for something this late for a change. Which lesser goal should good fans favor/

Go, Browns. Just win, baby!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Any Given Sunday.

Unfortunately, our defense isn't that great and we need more "Any Given's" that statistical probability allows for. We are almost a shoe-in for the play-offs as long as we get it done tonight and next week.
After that, we *might* get one playoff win, but making it all the way there is a stretch, I think.

That said: when I look at the other teams headed to the playoffs from the AFC, I see a whole bunch of teams we can stand toe-to-toe with. I respect what these teams can do, but I do not fear the Titans, Ravens, Steelers, or whomever the 7th Seed will be. Only the Bills and Chiefs give me pause and there's a chance they play each other before we get to one of them..... so, an AFC Title Game appearance is not outright unthinkable, and if it isn't unthinkable, then why NOT think Super Bowl?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We certainly lack the defense to make a playoff run. I'm not even sure we have the consistency of offense yet. We certainly have seen flashes of it. We have made huge strides in the right direction and I'm very happy with the progress.

It causes me to think of the old saying, "We have miles to go before we sleep".

The journey we needed to travel in order to be NFL champions was a long, hard and arduous road to travel. We are well on our way along that journey but we still have some miles to go.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I love a good Robert Frost allusion

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as we go down the stretch.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as as we go down the stretch.
yeah, honestly the Bills look like the “best” right now. Even the Chiefs haven’t looked great compared to what they could

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

What makes sports is upsets. That is why we watch.

Certainly we would be underdogs.

However, I do believe this Brown's team could upset any team in football.

Like you said we need all of our guys. Harrison, Ward, Teller have to be there.
=================================

The main reason I believe it is possible begins with the offensive line.

Then our run game. When you can effectively run the ball you can control the clock. Possession football can negate another teams offensive fire power.

Defense. It is our weakness. However, we are not weak on the DL. We are weak at linebacker and the secondary.

If we can rush the passer. It gives us a chance. That and the fact we have been successful in the turnover battle. Ward and Harrison are super important.

Offensively we can be big trouble for any team we play.

So, absolutely I do believe we can win it all.

KC is the cream of the AFC. But us along with the Bills, Steelers, Ravens, are all capable of upsetting any team.

In the NFC it doesn't matter till the Super Bowl.

If we get there. Certainly we can win it.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as we go down the stretch.

If we win the last three and look good doing it, I'll believe we can go all the way.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by SaintDawg; 12/20/20 04:34 PM.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone we needed to lose won so lets do this ourselves

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
yeah, we’re going to have to win out .. and even if we do, we’d still need Miami/Baltimore to lose one

L
Legend
Legend
L
if we win out we don't need either team to lose one

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
yeah, we’re going to have to win out .. and even if we do, we’d still need Miami/Baltimore to lose one

No. If we win out we are in as the number 5 seed

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

?????

If we win out, we are 12-4.

The best record any WC contender had coming into this week was Indy, the same as us at 9-3, so they could also finish at 12-4 if they win out, but we beat them, so if we both win out, we get the #5 seed. (both 12-4)

No one else started any higher than 8 wins. That means that the best they could be is 11-5.

I suppose that the Raiders are still in in, but just barely.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Titans Play @ GB and @TEXANS - We Have Tie Breaker

Colts Play @ PITTSBURGH and @ JAX - We Have Tie Breaker

Dolphins @ RAIDERS and @ Bills

Rats NYG @ BENGALS

If We Can Take Out The NYG and NYJ we should be in the Playoffs

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Per the site I posted above, IF we beat the 2 NY's then our chances are 99% in the playoffs

IF we lose all 3 the chance is 10%

IF we only beat the jets it's 78%

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
If we beat NYG & NYJ, and

(Raiders beat Miami) -OR-
(Steelers beat Colts) next week, we're in.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think it can be done for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned. Maybe a little premature to talk about it which I'm sure you realize however, we are talking about playoffs so it wouldn't be totally unwarranted.

For me personally, presuming we make the playoffs, IF we win that first wild card game, I'm all in on declaring a Super Bowl run. I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't be. Yes there are some powerhouses in there. Yes we may not match up so well because of our defense. But it will also be the closest to everyone being on the same level. Win streaks don't matter. PF and PA don't matter. Its all about going 1-0 week to week, something our team has clearly embraced.

I guess for me if we've managed to get out of that Wild Card weekend why hamstring ourselves? This team does have some major fixes to work on in the offseason, but overall they've clearly exceeded expectations. The thing about that is we won't know just how far or for how long they'll accomplish that until the last play of the season....

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 12/20/20 06:18 PM.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If we beat NYG & NYJ, and

the Steelers we are in smile

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Per the site I posted above, IF we beat the 2 NY's then our chances are 99% in the playoffs

IF we lose all 3 the chance is 10%

IF we only beat the jets it's 78%

ABSOLUTE, ridiculous, False!

I Guarantee, the Colts, Titans, and Dolphins are not all losing 2 more.

If anyone hasn't been paying attention,
The Ravens are going to finish 11-5

The Colts and Titans are not losing anything! And the Easiest path for NO Browns in playoffs is the Colts and Titans both a game better than the Browns.

The Dolphins aren't losing anything either!

Major Meltdown, prepare for either,
WIN ALL 3!

OR

NO PLAYOFFS!

prepare for that!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Titans Play @ GB and @TEXANS - We Have Tie Breaker

Colts Play @ PITTSBURGH and @ JAX - We Have Tie Breaker

Dolphins @ RAIDERS and @ Bills

Rats NYG @ BENGALS

If We Can Take Out The NYG and NYJ we should be in the Playoffs

The Titans and Colts, (annual playoff participants 4 years in a row-ish, because of playing like Superman in these last weeks of the season, EACH OF those last 4 YEARS.

And since they each know the Browns have the tie-breaker, they understand the only way to get ahead of the Browns is to get a half game lead by week 17.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
They don't get to just decide to do that; we have to falter while they do not in order for that to happen.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
The end of it is this: we are still in control of our fate.
The other teams need help; if nothing else, in the form of us losing.

If we take care of our side of the street, all of the discussion is moo.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
They don't get to just decide to do that; we have to falter while they do not in order for that to happen.

Exactly, but the only way to do that, since they, (Titans and Colts) are going to win all 3,

the only way for the Browns to keep up is to do the same which is Win all 3!

I've only addressed this to folks who claim the Browns can limp/back into the playoffs without Winning all 3.

It is Win or Go Home time.

Legend
Legend
well, if you get to say they're going to win all three, then I match that by saying we're going to win all three.

That's it, we're in.
Done deal.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Nope, they're going onside

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are still in the 5th spot. Woo!

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
P
Legend
Legend
P
10-4 Baby Still 5th in the Playoff Standings and if we beat the Jets and either the Colts Ravens Dolphins or Titans lose we clinch smile

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Good news is if the Browns win the next 2, they get a playoff berth.

Browns can clinch this next week if they Beat the Jets and if
the Titans, or Colts, or Dolphins, or Ravens? lose.

Another good news,
Tonights Browns win over the Giants,
officially knocks the
Raiders and Patriots off the table of things in the way of the Browns and their playoff berth.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Pats were already eliminated.

So if we beat the dog-ass Jets, does anyone know who we need to lose, to clinch a playoff spot?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

So if we beat the dog-ass Jets, does anyone know who we need to lose, to clinch a playoff spot?

Titans, Colts, Dolphins or Ravens. Any loss puts us in playoffs. In fact, with a win against the Jets, those four teams would have to go 8-0 the next two weeks to eliminate us if we lose to the Steelers.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FATE

Titans, Colts, Dolphins or Ravens. Any loss puts us in playoffs. In fact, with a win against the Jets, those four teams would have to go 8-0 the next two weeks to eliminate us if we lose to the Steelers.

Ugh, I hate that there's even a chance cuz of the Refs ruining the MNF game. I know I nkow we won tonight just enjoy it, keep trying to go 1-0 but I'm still so annoyed lol

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: myka

Ugh, I hate that there's even a chance cuz of the Refs ruining the MNF game. I know I nkow we won tonight just enjoy it, keep trying to go 1-0 but I'm still so annoyed lol

Fuhgettaboutit.

Dolphins face an angry Vegas team
Giants win or go home vs Ravens
Tennessee heading to Green Bay
Indy in Pittsburgh to face the Steelers

At least one of those teams is losing this week.

C
Legend
Legend
C

The Titans play Green Bay and Houston.

The Colts play Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

The Dolphins play the Raiders and Buffalo.

The Ravens play the Giants and Cincinnati.

We are sitting pretty.

Legend
Legend
So, we have to WIN against NYJ ... and just have ONE of these teams lose?

Dolphins
Colts
Titans
Ravens

Beautiful

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
PG.
Still today, there are 8 teams;

Will be out and wondering what happened.

If nobody loses 2 of the last 2-or 3, the still most likely eliminated team appears to be,
Browns, Colts, Dolphins, Ravens.

And I struggle to find a way the Ravens (who I believe will win both) will be out until the Browns beat both the Jets and Steelers.

The Colts don't kick them out,
The Dolphins don't kick them out somehow, but the Dolphins kick the Browns out,
and the Titans and Bills don't kick the Ravens out, I didn't yet find a way the Ravens get kicked out if they win 2, unless the Browns beat both the Jets and the Steelers.

I guess we could get lucky and the Dolphins, or Titans, or Colts, would lose 2 times, but who believes that will happen.

I found a site searching the word playoffs, and it does all sports with so much info
helped me figure out the NHL race 7 years ago, so helpful, just have to select what sport/team to look at.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC Playoff Chase Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard