Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: slick
I just did the playoff machine again. I guess what THROW LONG SAID ABOUT the 3rd team in a division being out is true. if the browns are 11-5 and third in our division, and the titans are 11-5 and second in thier division and the colts ravens and dolphins win out. WE ARE OUT....even though we beat the titans they still go to the playoffs and we dont! That is bs!

I can hardly believe this. I can't think they could justify this scenario

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Even if the packers beat the titans it does aus absolutely NO GOOD if titans win thier last game. I just cant believe they go to the playoffs with the same record as us even though we beat them. This is bs. Throw long was right about that stupid 3rd team in division with winning record rule. I hate to say it but at this point winning out is our only chance. I dont see the Steelers losing 5 on a row. In fact we NEED them to beat the colts

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I could be wrong, but I also think the Titans don’t have to go 2-0. They could go 1-1, if that loss is to the packers, and the rest of those teams win out. Baltimore is more than likely to win out, and If Miami beats Las Vegas, they could play a Buffalo team the following week, with nothing to play for? The colts play a pittsburgh team this week that just lost to Cincinnati, and 3 straight overall, then finish at Jacksonville.

Unless I’m missing something, none of that would surprise me.

That is correct! Titans just have to go 1-1. This is bs....we finally have a winning season and 11-5 still doesn't get us a playoff game! Only in Cleveland!

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you correct. Pittsburgh losing to the colts next week gives us a chance at winning the division, but it also keeps the possibility of us missing the playoffs, very much in play.

We need to be rooting for Pittsburgh next week

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
I could be wrong, but I also think the Titans don’t have to go 2-0. They could go 1-1, if that loss is to the packers, and the rest of those teams win out. Baltimore is more than likely to win out, and If Miami beats Las Vegas, they could play a Buffalo team the following week, with nothing to play for? The colts play a pittsburgh team this week that just lost to Cincinnati, and 3 straight overall, then finish at Jacksonville.

Unless I’m missing something, none of that would surprise me.

That is correct! Titans just have to go 1-1. This is bs....we finally have a winning season and 11-5 still doesn't get us a playoff game! Only in Cleveland!

What you say may happen. I’m not going to lose sleep over it until after next week. Hopefully we will have locked up a playoff spot.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

I'm taking the sure playoff spot over a chance at winning the division.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I'm confused..I thought we would win the head to head with titans if we have same record. But according to ESPN playoffs machine, if the ravens , colts and dolphins win out and we lose one game putting us at 11-5 and the titans lose one game meaning the colts win thier division, putting the titans at 11-5 they go to the playoffs and we dont. How can that be if we beat them?

here is how.
If the Colts get above the Titans because the titans lose to the packers,
If the Colts take the division the Colts will have the division title.
the Playoff spots will be filled like this.

1. KC best record
2, Bills/Steelers next best division winner
3, Steelers/ bills next best division winn
4, Colts if they get the division,

Any ^ movement of those doesn't effect this scenario as long as those 4 win the divisions and there is a 4 way tie at 11-5

The 5 seed #1 playoff spot will be up to be fill by some team, and the rules are such
If the Ravens, Titans, Dolphins and Browns all finish 11-5
The First thing they do is take out any team in 3rd place in their div. instead of 2nd place.
(remove the Browns from consider for spot 1, 5 seed)

next the 3 way tie, they look if any team swept or got swept by the other two, it didnt' happen any way .

Next they look at conf record, and remove the ravens who's best possible is 7-5 while the dolphins and titans are 8-4, and 8-4 vs afc.

With Ravens removed and Browns removed, #5 seed comes down to Titans or Dolphins, both 8-4 8-4 in conf record,
next is common games minimum 4.
(already finished the Titans are 4-1, the Dolphins are 3-2 in common games of (broncos, jags, bengals, bills)

Titans get the #5 spot,

Then the #6 spot needs filled, A 3 way tie of Dolphins Ravens Browns, (first removes Browns for 3rd place in div, again) Then compares Dolphins and Ravens
Conf record 8-4 vs 7-5 goes to Dolphins
Dolphins get the #6 spot.

Then there is a #7 spot which compares the Ravens and Browns and when the Ravens won on MNF, they took the head to head, 2-0.

So Ravens get #7 spot.

so basically the Browns have to stay ahead of the titans, and hope the titans stay ahead of the colts, and or stay ahead of the Ravens,

So bottom line the only way the Browns can get in the playoffs is beat Pittsburgh, and the Jets.

or beat one of them and have the Dolphins or Colts or Ravens lose one.

or if the Titans lose twice, or if the Bills had lost 3 which can't anymore.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I'm taking the sure playoff spot over a chance at winning the division.

I’m hoping for both things to happen. That means I have to put my faith in Las Vegas. Maybe I won’t sleep tonight.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins. So we need raiders to win and chances of that are slim at best. I dont know why espn has us at a 90% chance to make playoffs when inreality it's much less than that

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

C
Legend
Legend
C
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins. So we need raiders to win and chances of that are slim at best. I dont know why espn has us at a 90% chance to make playoffs when inreality it's much less than that

Math is hard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good point, the only way we will be rooting for Indianapolis to beat Pittsburgh,(going into Sunday) is if the Raiders beat the Dolphins Saturday night. That guarantees us a playoff spot with a win over the Jets, and keeps the division title in play.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Bills will want to hold onto the number 2 seed.

Theyll be pressed to play hard against the phins...

They also dont seem to be a team who would rest starters...

Legend
Legend
- We play at the Jets
- Indy plays at Pittsburgh
- Tennessee plays at Green Bay
- Miami plays at Las Vegas

If we take care of ourselves, I like the chances that one of those 3 teams loses

In an ideal scenario, we win, Miami and Tennessee lose, and Indy wins smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
- We play at the Jets
- Indy plays at Pittsburgh
- Tennessee plays at Green Bay
- Miami plays at Las Vegas

If we take care of ourselves, I like the chances that one of those 3 teams loses

In an ideal scenario, we win, Miami and Tennessee lose, and Indy wins smile

Not sure but I think it's the other way around. We need the colts to lose and the titans to win. If the colts win thier division and the ravens and dolphins win out. Our chances of making the playoffs drop dramatically. We would have to beat the Steelers, and let's face it. The Steelers are not going to drop 5 straight. It would be typical browns luck, or lack thereof to lose to the steelers and miss the playoffs at 11-5 in a season that the nfl gave both the AFC and NFC a extra wildcard spot.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
At this point, ideally.

I want the Browns to win. And

I want the Colts to lose.
I want the Dolphins to lose. and
I want the Ravens to lose.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I think you correct. Pittsburgh losing to the colts next week gives us a chance at winning the division, but it also keeps the possibility of us missing the playoffs, very much in play.

Oh, but the thought of a week 17 game vs the Steelers for the division title and a playoff spot? I've been dreaming of a scenario like that for 25 years. I'm a bit torn.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
At this point, ideally.

If the ravens or dolphins lose and we beat the jets we are in correct? Or no? If those two teams lose but the colts win are we still not in?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I like that the Dolphins/Raiders game is Saturday night.

Go Raiders!

Raiders win, Browns beat Jets to clinch playoff berth. Colts beat Steelers. NFL flexes Steelers vs Browns game to SNF now that division title would be up for grabs. Dream scenario.

O
Legend
Legend
O
THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

Credit where credit is due.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
I'm never rooting for the Steelers. All or nothing. It's a screwed up possibility. Win Division or go home but screw the Steelers. Can't believe posters having us losing to the Steelers at home for the division 2 weeks before the game. If they can't beat the team I watched last night then I don't want them in the Playoffs to get BLOWED out by some other team! The Browns offense can score on anyone but the defense is (mostly secondary) terrible

Last edited by Moxdawg; 12/22/20 09:53 AM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
All Pro
All Pro
Imagine starting 11-0 and losing your next 6 straight including the last 2 in Cleveland. Seeding is still shaking out. But if Browns win division and host Steelers, that is how Roethlisberger could finish his career.

Last edited by captainphil; 12/22/20 10:16 AM.

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
M
Legend
Legend
M
At this point, ideally.

I don't freaking get this board sometimes.

Playoffs be damned - I am much, much, much, much, much more interested and excited at the prospect of WINNING THE AFC NORTH than I am about anything else right now.

The ONLY way we can win the AFC North is to beat the Jets and the Colts Beat the Steelers.

In that scenario we play the steelers in game 16 of the season and the winner of that game wins the Division. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'd take that scenario even if it meant missing out on the playoffs with a loss to Pitsburgh.

All these posts talking about wanting Colts to win so we get into the Playoffs .... willynilly Crazy.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/22/20 10:23 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins.

That's only if they're content playing Miami again in the first round as that is who they are slated to play as it stands right now.

We definitely need the Raiders to win, ditto the Giants.
I want the Colts to win because I want Week 17 to be for all the marbles.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mgh888
At this point, ideally.

I don't freaking get this board sometimes.

Playoffs be damned - I am much, much, much, much, much more interested and excited at the prospect of WINNING THE AFC NORTH than I am about anything else right now.

The ONLY way we can win the AFC North is to beat the Jets and the Colts Beat the Steelers.

In that scenario we play the steelers in game 16 of the season and the winner of that game wins the Division. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'd take that scenario even if it meant missing out on the playoffs with a loss to Pitsburgh.

All these posts talking about wanting Colts to win so we get into the Playoffs .... willynilly Crazy.

Totally agree! If you can't beat the Steelers to get to the Playoffs why would we want to be in the Playoffs! Looking from a players perspective I'd say there isn't a player on the Browns that's rooting for the Steelers this coming weekend!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 12/22/20 10:56 AM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Another point: I find it amusing that posters want other teams to get us into the Playoffs instead of expecting 'Our Team' to take care of business and PUT ourselves in the Playoffs!!!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 12/22/20 10:53 AM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg
Another point: I find it amusing that posters want other teams to get us into the Playoffs instead of expecting 'Our Team' to take care of business and PUT ourselves in the Playoffs!!!

Who said that? I’d prefer the Browns to win the last two games. Just in case they don’t I’d like a safety net.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Playing for all the marbles ... what else could you possibly want? That would be like a rebirth for the team - it would end the curse - it would be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Then if we somehow met them in the first round of the play offs and beat them again? Hard to imagine what that would do for the team and fan base.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Who said that? I’d prefer the Browns to win the last two games. Just in case they don’t I’d like a safety net.
it's being said . Read the board. They're commenting above that their rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts. Screw that! If we miss the playoffs then so be it! If we don't beat the Steelers and get knocked out of the playoffs then they weren't good enough to make the playoffs even at 11-5

C
Legend
Legend
C

it's being said . Read the board. They're commenting above that their rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts. Screw that! If we miss the playoffs then so be it! If we don't beat the Steelers and get knocked out of the playoffs then they weren't good enough to make the playoffs even at 11-5

This is very short sighted.

O
Legend
Legend
O

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My ideal scenario: we beat the Jets, Ravens lose to the Giants, Steelers lose to the Colts.

I would also accept Miami losing to the Raiders in substitution for the Ravens losing. Obviously, I'd prefer to kick out the Ratbirds.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I mean no disrespect to anyone but what I hear are the voices of a whipped fan base. A group so used to losing that they see it as their normal outcome in life. Understandable?? Yes, but wrong. This weekend we have to beat the jets, and the colts have to beat the steelers.that puts us Mano in mano in the season finale with the Steelers and I like our chances. Those who think the Steelers cannot lose five in a row are saying they think the bengals can beat them but we cannot. Really??? You think that?

I think there is a great chance one of those wild card competitors lose and we clinch a old card. But I want a three seed and we get that by winning the division. So GO BROWNS!!!! and GO COLTS!!!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

This is very short sighted.

I'm not saying I wouldn't Love to see the Browns get a wild card spot out of the way before the last game but there's No way I'm rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts just to get a Playoff spot when there's a chance of winning the Division with the Colts beating the Steelers. If it comes down to the last game for all the marbles then so be it.
Also: if it did come down to that ( Win Division or go home for the Browns )
We'd be playing for the Division and the Playoffs,
Steelers would be playing for the Division and still be in the Playoffs, so we'd definitely have more to lose and hopefully more to play for so if the Browns couldn't win under those conditions then again I wouldn't want them in the Playoffs....

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I like that the Dolphins/Raiders game is Saturday night.

Go Raiders!

Raiders win, Browns beat Jets to clinch playoff berth. Colts beat Steelers. NFL flexes Steelers vs Browns game to SNF now that division title would be up for grabs. Dream scenario.
bingo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
I mean no disrespect to anyone but what I hear are the voices of a whipped fan base. A group so used to losing that they see it as their normal outcome in life. Understandable?? Yes, but wrong. This weekend we have to beat the jets, and the colts have to beat the steelers.that puts us Mano in mano in the season finale with the Steelers and I like our chances. Those who think the Steelers cannot lose five in a row are saying they think the bengals can beat them but we cannot. Really??? You think that?

I think there is a great chance one of those wild card competitors lose and we clinch a old card. But I want a three seed and we get that by winning the division. So GO BROWNS!!!! and GO COLTS!!!!!

This/^^^^
When I was trying to make the point about wanting other teams to get us in the playoffs: when posters saying we need to root for the Steelers this weekend!
I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but that is a lame way of thinking about it! We need to take care of our own business and we're in the playoffs, and now thanks to the Bengals we have a very strong possibility of winning the Division and if that means the possiblity of missing the Playoffs entirely then so be it because the Browns control that and if they can't take care of their own business then so be it! I'll take all or nothing over just a spot in the playoffs!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 12/22/20 12:04 PM.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

This/^^^^
When I was trying to make the point about wanting other teams to get us in the playoffs: when posters saying we need to root for the Steelers this weekend!
I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but that is a lame way of thinking about it! We need to take care of our own business and we're in the playoffs, and now thanks to the Bengals we have a very strong possibility of winning the Division and if that means the possiblity of missing the Playoffs entirely then so be it because the Browns control that and if they can't take care of their own business then so be it! I'll take all or nothing over just a spot in the playoffs!

I'm on this camp also. If we beat the Jets and we have to beat the Steelers to get in - that's the first round of the playoffs a week early. If we need to win and don't then that is fuel for the offseason and next season - I think the team is nearly there and has the leadership in place under KS to ensure that whatever happens - team is first and we are always a game at a time.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
My ideal scenario: we beat the Jets, Ravens lose to the Giants, Steelers lose to the Colts.

I would also accept Miami losing to the Raiders in substitution for the Ravens losing. Obviously, I'd prefer to kick out the Ratbirds.

Yes, this is ideal. Any scenario where we go into week 17 with a chance to win the division AND a playoff spot guaranteed is the ideal situation.

I've also been one of the people on this board for weeks who wasn't writing the Steelers game off as a loss, many were.

I don't want to go into the playoffs 0-4 against the Steelers and Ravens.. but I do want to go into the playoffs. The primary reason is that I don't think there is a team in the AFC, and I'm including the Chiefs, that the Browns can't compete with. I think the Chiefs and Bills pose a significant challenge, any other team in the AFC in the playoffs, I think the Browns can beat. And I'll take 11-5, a wildcard spot, and a good shot at winning a playoff game over 11-5 and not making the playoffs because that's how things worked out. So yes, I will continue to expect the Browns to win their final 2 games. I will also root for whatever help they can get to ensure they make the playoffs.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good post.

I'm hoping like hell (which usually doesn't end well) that we win this week and are guaranteed a playoff spot. I feel like that would greatly change the demeanor with which we play the Steelers.

Baker has matured a lot when it comes to playing under pressure, but when he plays without pressure to perform, it's like the gloves come completely off.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Yay. Cooler heads prevail. smile

Step 1: We beat the Jets

Step 2: Either the Giants upset the Ravens with that run-stuffing D-line OR the Raiders beat the Dolphins (immediately clinching a playoff spot before week 17).

Step 3: The Colts beat the Steelers (if the Colts lose and neither the Giants nor Raiders win above, we are still in the playoffs).

Step 4: The Browns/Steelers week 17 game gets flexed to Prime Time for the AFC North crown.

*I reserve the right to change my preference on the outcome of the Colts/Steelers game at 11:45 pm Saturday night (pending the outcome of the Dolphins/Raiders).*

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC Playoff Chase Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard