Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
10 wins! I’m going to stick with that in my thoughts for a week. Cheers, Merry xmas land!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
OBJ will not be on the team next year.

And that will be a GOOD thing.We don't need prima donnas who pout when they don't get the ball. We need TEAM players who are OK getting what they get and playing their part helping the TEAM win. Period.

I'm sure you have a boatload of examples to back this up.

I think OBJ is a great player but just guessing I'd wager if we won and OBJ didn't contribute much to the wins except being a decoy ( about every team doubles him, basically taking him out of the game ) he likely wouldn't be happy. Don't get me wrong, OBJ wants to win but he wants to be the reason we win. OBJ is the only receiver on the Browns that will draw double coverage so he likely shouldn't get the ball much and that leads to Baker looking at him on about every play to see if he's open before moving on to the better Target. It's just going to be set up to fail. Seems DPJ can be a pretty good option. I don't see OBJ being here next year either. Hopefully Jarvis is ok with it because we need him

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not to mention, what does OBJ bring to this offense? It's pretty effective I can't see it being much better with OBJ! We need to get our defensive players healthy and get a few more, can you imagine how good we'd be if our defense could actually stop people from scoring

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
I am not on any social platforms

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Whaaaaaaaaaat!?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M

Best TE on the roster, IMO.

Dude is only 24.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wow

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
Deeply surprised at the PFF grades. It seems all our TE's seem to struggle blocking at the line but I do trust them more than I trust my opinion in that regard - I notice the TE's when they collapse and don't block - I don't notice when they do their job.

Glad we did not trade him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Deeply surprised at the PFF grades. It seems all our TE's seem to struggle blocking at the line but I do trust them more than I trust my opinion in that regard - I notice the TE's when they collapse and don't block - I don't notice when they do their job.

Glad we did not trade him.

Thats because you are watching Chubb or Hunt run smile

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend

I'll take "Things I didn't see coming" for $500, Alex.
I will be watching MUCH closer this week!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
OBJ is a very emotional player. I have seen no evidence of him being a bad teammate. The guy works his butt off and I have no doubt he will return better than ever.

If he comes back, and I'm on the fence about it, I hope our success without him calms Baker down if/when he does come back. I hope Baker just treats him like a legit #1 WR and we use him accordingly rather than force the ball to him out of fear that he might get emotional on the sidelines. If we could just let him be a part of the offense instead of trying to force the offense through him, we could certainly use his talent.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that's it. They have been forcing the ball to OBJ because they fear he might get emotional.

notallthere

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Dude is only 24.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, it seems to me that Njoku has been blocking better than our other TEs.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Dude is only 24.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, it seems to me that Njoku has been blocking better than our other TEs.

Pass blocking.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, that's it. They have been forcing the ball to OBJ because they fear he might get emotional.

notallthere

You honestly don't think the first half of the year that Baker was forcing the ball to OBJ at times?

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Dude is only 24.

Pass blocking.

That's an interesting thought. I would think pass-blocking would be the more difficult of the two. No?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Perhaps not?
In pass sets, he is likely typically out on a route or blocking a DB/LB that is already moving in space... more of an upright block. I don't think we use him too much as an in-line pass blocker. I could very well be totally wrong; I haven't noticed how we use him at all.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure he was. That isn't the point. The point is the ridiculous claim that the reason for that was doing so was order to prevent OBJ from becoming emotional on the sideline.

Look, we all saw Baker locking onto his WR's early in the season. The kid had to learn three different systems in as many seasons. No QB can get comfortable under those conditions. As the season has progressed, Baker has gotten a lot more comfortable playing within the system. As such things are becoming natural. He is now stepping up in the pocket because he is more comfortable with the protection being given him by the OL. His tendency to scramble out of a solid pocket has decreased. His ability to go through his progressions has gotten better.

Once a QB, or any player for that matter, gains comfort in the system they are playing in, things start to become second nature. No longer are you forced to concentrate on learning the system. That produces a situation where much of the basics of a system become second nature to you.

There isn't some magic formula where if you simply take a WR out of the system Baker becomes an instant success. There is by no measure anything of substance to assert that Baker was forcing the ball to OBJ "so he wouldn't become emotional on the sideline.

Your #1 WR is in most cases your #1 target. If you aren't comfortable in the system you tend to lock onto your first target and force the ball.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
There is by no measure anything of substance to assert that Baker was forcing the ball to OBJ "so he wouldn't become emotional on the sideline.

OBJ is a great talent. OBJ has a long history of getting emotional on the sidelines if the team is losing and he isn't being used. Baker Mayfield has been a young, and at times struggling, QB. Between the two, OBJ was the bigger name. OBJ sometimes acts like a baby and makes a spectacle of himself on the sidelines which his QBs usually have to answer for...

Or you can just look at Mayfields stats and performance with and without OBJ. Mayfield is a different guy. The team can play it down as the team just getting better throughout the year, but the change was almost immediate when Baker started worrying less about where OBJ was and just throwing to the open guy.

You can choose to think that the reputation of OBJ living in Baker's head had no impact on the way Baker played the first half of this year... but I think it did.

yebat' Putin
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Perhaps not?
In pass sets, he is likely typically out on a route or blocking a DB/LB that is already moving in space... more of an upright block. I don't think we use him too much as an in-line pass blocker. I could very well be totally wrong; I haven't noticed how we use him at all.

That stat is typically used to show how a player blocks on a pass play when not going out on a route.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes logic can escape people.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
OBJ is a very emotional player. I have seen no evidence of him being a bad teammate. The guy works his butt off and I have no doubt he will return better than ever.

If he comes back, and I'm on the fence about it, I hope our success without him calms Baker down if/when he does come back. I hope Baker just treats him like a legit #1 WR and we use him accordingly rather than force the ball to him out of fear that he might get emotional on the sidelines. If we could just let him be a part of the offense instead of trying to force the offense through him, we could certainly use his talent.

Don't even want to chance it, it would be dumb to do so. Got to move him ASAP! You do not alter the plan at this point. To have OBJ back and mess things up would be pure Browns.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 12/22/20 03:55 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dude is only 24.

Pass blocking.

Yes.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'll take "Things I didn't see coming" for $500, Alex.
I will be watching MUCH closer this week!

LOL!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
What exactly is the status of Njoku's contract right about now?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

He has one year left on his contract after this year.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
j/c

Man, I love listening to that Kat.

He's got a solid grasp of this team and football in general.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Do you really want posters to compare YOUR logical-thinking vs that of DC? Really?

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

He has one year left on his contract after this year.

Thanks. He's making it a little tougher for the front office decision making process.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Do you really want posters to compare YOUR logical-thinking vs that of DC? Really?

In this case? Certainly. Why don't you, or even him try and explain it? Here was what he said....

Quote:
I hope Baker just treats him like a legit #1 WR and we use him accordingly rather than force the ball to him out of fear that he might get emotional on the sidelines.

So tell me how that makes any sense?

Is he saying that Baker is so emotionally weak that he is afraid of how OBJ acts on the sideline?

Is he saying that Baker would purposefully ignore going through his progressions to find an open target to placate OBJ's ego?

Or maybe he's saying Stefanski is instructing Baker to throw to OBJ no matter what?

The suggestion seems to be that for some unexplained reason that Baker, Stefansli or a combination of the two would purposefully do anything possible to keep OBJ from acting out on the sideline no matter the detriment to the team when the fact is the only way Baker and Stefanski can succeed is to use the entire team to the best of their ability to succeed.

So either you buy into the conspiracy that Baker and or Stefanski are complete morons or this doesn't make any sense.

I decided to edit this post to include more logical conclusions one could come to....

This is Bakers third system in as many years. This one was mostly taught via zoom due to Covid restrictions. As such, would it be any wonder if your QB wasn't comfortable in a new system under such circumstances?

What we saw early in the season was a QB who bailed out of a sold pocket early. Who didn't seem to go through his progressions well. OBJ was our #1 WR before his injury. Thus he would get the first look on most passing downs.

It would be far more logical to deduce that Baker locked on to OBJ under those circumstances. It would also be far more logical to deduce that given OBJ's history that Baker would be more confident in OBJ having the ability to come down with a contested catch.

If you lack the ability to play connect the dots, that's not my fault.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 12/23/20 12:49 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

And sometimes people never had it to begin with.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
And sometimes people have it and in certain cases refuse to use it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And sometimes two people watch the same series of events, reach different subjective conclusions as to why something happened.. and person #1 just believes that they are right while person #2 has a feeling that person #1 is stupid/blind/ignorant for not agreeing with him...

Believe what you want. It's subjective, neither of us will ever be proven right or wrong.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
There is a difference between far fetched and subjective.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Bye Pit.

yebat' Putin
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I will say this. OBJ has proven to be emotional on the sidelines when things are not going his/ his teams way. Label it as you will.

He has not proven to act that way in his time at Cleveland, in like many adults his age gaining perspective, knowledge and maturity.

There is no doubt that he is as talented as any WR in the game.
As there is no doubt that this team has moved the ball better without him.
OBJ being out is hardly the entire reason, as he did have that Dallas game.
There is also the fact that the OL is playing as good as any in the NFL.
Chubb and hunt doing their thing.
Baker has gained control of this offense and gets better every game. There is no reason to believe that this still would not be the case if OBJ was still playing.
KEVIN STEFANSKI KEVIN STEFANSKI KEVIN STEFANSKI

There is no reason, not to believe that with the success this season that OBJ transitions back into this offense pretty smoothly. Especially with one of the brightest coaches in the game steering the ship.

You both have valid points, hardly worth bringing any drama on here over it.

That being said, I doubt he is back.

But I guess we need something to complain about, since we always have had something to complain about.

10-4 GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DawgPound75; 12/23/20 02:32 PM.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

There aren't many people on this board that make more sense than DC. Guy is top 5 poster for sure.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think everyone is postulating without the benefit of what the coaches call and see.

Most fans can only surmise the play calls, but we don’t know if the player is making the correct adjustment.

I will say that last year there was a lot more confusion regarding play call and a lot of players did not seem to know what to do.

Stefanski really improved the team in this area. I suspect it took some players longer than others to get the level of understanding that was needed, which is why we did not see as much from some of the TE/WR earlier in the season.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Giants 6 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard