Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Discuss

He is balling out.

27 of 32 on Sunday night big game
2 TD's 297 yards

126.2 QBR

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
27 of 32 !

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we have our FRANCHISE QB

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Legend
Legend
L
i think Baker's emergency is a few things, finally a legit QB coach for Baker with Van Pelt, Lindley should never coach QB's ever again. And stefanski creating an offense that tailors to Bakers strength and Baker trusting the offense and in turn trusting his eyes more

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield just broke a #Browns record for completion percentage in a game. Mayfield went 27 of 32 tonight (84.3%) besting besting the previous Cleveland record of 82.9% set by Kelly Holcomb in 2003.
@ESPNStatsInfo

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1340872823489908736

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Gee, he does seem to be improving thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C
Baker is doing things I didn't think he was going to be able to do after his stunted development. It makes me happy.

L
Legend
Legend
L
And as of now, he has a winning record. 22-21

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Baker is doing things I didn't think he was going to be able to do after his stunted development. It makes me happy.

We've literally witnessed a light going on for our QB.

I would say he's playing like a top 5 QB. So many plus level throws.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I was very pessimistic and didn't think it was possible. I am very glad I was wrong.

Since the bye week, when Baker said Stefanski and Van Pelt helped him a ton, he has been on fire. In this offense and with this coach I don't see how he takes a huge step backwards. I think this is who he is going to be.

Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield against the blitz tonight: 12-of-13, 10.5 yards per attempt — career-best performance for Baker vs. blitz via
@ESPNStatsInfo
#browns

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1340878404959256577

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I was very pessimistic and didn't think it was possible. I am very glad I was wrong.

Since the bye week, when Baker said Stefanski and Van Pelt helped him a ton, he has been on fire. In this offense and with this coach I don't see how he takes a huge step backwards. I think this is who he is going to be.

I have defended Baker from the Beginning but I also was beginning to lose faith in him, but no More Baker is our Franchise QB NO DOUBT smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Baker Mayfield against the blitz tonight: 12-of-13, 10.5 yards per attempt — career-best performance for Baker vs. blitz via
@ESPNStatsInfo
#browns

This is what I noticed today... and he did it with a poise we haven't seen before.

It's little things, week after week, they add up -- and the good outweighing the bad makes him almost exponentially better.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He's improved as the season has progressed and that's what we needed to see. For that matter so has the team. We're seeing what we need to see.

Legend
Legend
Seeing him improve with making progressions, reading defenses, understanding situations, etc is SO satisfying. What fabulous coaching as well.

This is who we’ve longed for.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
i think Baker's emergency is a few things, finally a legit QB coach for Baker with Van Pelt, Lindley should never coach QB's ever again. And stefanski creating an offense that tailors to Bakers strength and Baker trusting the offense and in turn trusting his eyes more

That's how it works for all QB's. Lamar and Josh Allen aren't anything without the offense they're in.

We drafted the correct QB at #1.

Undoubtedly Dorsey's best pick and decision.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
@ESPNStatsInfo
#browns

This is what I noticed today... and he did it with a poise we haven't seen before.

It's little things, week after week, they add up -- and the good outweighing the bad makes him almost exponentially better.

Shocking what can happen when you give talent the correct environment and support to succeed.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

I have gone into detail on some other threads.

First props to Kevin Stefanski and his staff. Callahan deserves extra recognition. Because it all begins up front.

KS and staff reworked the offense to fit the strengths of the players.

The offensive line has provided incredible protection.This has allowed Baker to get comfortable "in the pocket." Not bailing out and taking half the field out of play. Now with confidence in the protection he is stepping up in the pocket. He is seeing the field. Going through progressions and throwing darts.

He is not forcing the ball. He is using his eyes. Getting his body into position and delivering. All that means good feet, body, and arm mechanics.

We are seeing the results.

The offense is diverse. This makes it difficult for a defense to deal with. If they stack the box; we throw. If they play drop back; we run. Play action is effective because of the run threat.

Baker is using all receivers and the whole field. That is huge because we open up the field make the defense protect a big area. Baker can make any throw to all levels.

When things were rough. I was preaching patience. Let's wait and see. Let this offense develop. It will take time to evolve before we can open the whole playbook.

KS and Baker are in sync. KS is calling a unpredictable game. Baker is confident in the plays. He trusts his teammates.

All this is about patience, player growth, and confidence.

We have a lot to look forward to. This Brown's team will give any team a run for their money.

Legend
Legend
There are still people claiming to be Browns fans on Twitter hating on him every day. I've reached the conclusion that they are just trolls. Other than getting us into, and winning, some playoff games, the guy has nothing left to prove as a 3rd year QB.

A lot of people early this season were saying Baker was the 4th best QB in our division.. (some people jokingly put him behind Jarvis Landry) I hope Joe Burrow is ok, he looks like he will be good but that injury was serious.. Ben is old and can't have more than a year or two left and his replacement isn't on the roster.. Lamar is really good at what he does, but does anybody expect Lamar to be doing what he's doing 5 years from now? Right now, in this division, there isn't a QB I would take over Baker Mayfield.

yebat' Putin
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I'm as pro-Baker as anybody, but our receivers deserve a ton of credit for last night's win too. Not all the receptions were "wide open". There were some great tight window catches too. I can't remember any "drops."

Legend
Legend
Baker mayfield is that dude. Finally. We got the guy!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
I'm as pro-Baker as anybody, but our receivers deserve a ton of credit for last night's win too. Not all the receptions were "wide open". There were some great tight window catches too. I can't remember any "drops."

This has been the point all along as we have cycled through coaches and QBs like fat people go through Tums... it's not hard to imagine that having a solid OL, great backs, very good receiving options, and quality coaching help a QB to grow and perform. Baker is playing very well and I'm not saying any of our old QBs could do what he's done but we finally have a situation where a QB can be successful.

yebat' Putin
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I could go back and find all the anti-Baker comments and call everyone out that "did not believe in Baker"...

...BUT I WON'T !...all of you know who you are.

I will simply point out that many attempted to teach the "none believers" who were ready trade, cut or flush Mayfield because his play did not match the image you had in your mind.

Mayfield just needed some time to learn another new playbook being taught by another new OC (HC).

Mayfield won't be perfect every week but it won't be for lack of trying. He has the desire and he has the ability to be one of the best QBs the Browns have had.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker had one his patented "get my receiver killed" passes on play #1 which had me thinking to myself "oh boy, here we go..." but after that, for the rest of the game he was pretty much spot on. I think I remember him with 1 pretty bad miss to Jarvis, but was otherwise spot on the rest of the evening.

Though Giants pass D is pretty bad, Baker did a good job of making up for our ailing Oline (we had a hard time running the ball against their stout Dline with our hurting Oline).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
here are his updated stats:
3082 yards
64.04 Completion %
99.4 QBR
25 TD
8 INT
I think he cracked the top 10 this week

Career
10,634 yards
62.2 Completion %
89.7 QBR
74 TD
43 INT

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

I could go back and find all the anti-Baker comments and call everyone out that "did not believe in Baker"...

...BUT I WON'T !...all of you know who you are.

I will simply point out that many attempted to teach the "none believers" who were ready trade, cut or flush Mayfield because his play did not match the image you had in your mind.

Mayfield just needed some time to learn another new playbook being taught by another new OC (HC).

Mayfield won't be perfect every week but it won't be for lack of trying. He has the desire and he has the ability to be one of the best QBs the Browns have had.

Guilty as charged, I was calling for Case Keenum after the Steelers game.

rofl I'm an idiot.

Legend
Legend
Last night's game was closer to my expectations for BM. Great QB rating and production. He seemed to "own" his game last night. Considering what we are missing, last night was a statement effort, albeit against a team we should have roughed up more, but their team had some solid stuff going in and Colt McCoy played over his head with what he had IMO.

You are your record. I can live with that. thumbsup brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
The past 5-6 weeks have showed us a QB that we haven’t had for 30 years .. and maybe ever.

Baker is improving significantly and is making our offense very hard to stop.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Been in Baker's corner from the get-go.

This offense is designed to take advantage of Baker's skill set.

Kudos to Berry and Stefanski for their assessment that the o-line was absolute crap last year (Robinson - what a joke) and needed significant upgrading. For drafting the best tackle and determining that he could be "switched" from Right to Left because he had the necessary skill set, signing the best RT - Conklin, and also for hiring Callahan.

Last edited by Hammer; 12/21/20 01:21 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I want to know what happened on those incompletions?

He needs to clean up his game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Thanks rofl rofl rofl

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I assume this is a joke, but one of the incompletions was 4th down and it was batted down at the line of scrimmage, which actually is something Baker needs to work on... maybe the only thing, other than that I can't recall him making a "mistake" (using mistake loosely here since anyone can have a ball batted down, he just does it at a higher rate than taller QBs)

Legend
Legend
He missed an open Landry and I believe the other three misses were throwaways. Pretty impressive outing. Yes, Peen was joking.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R

He threw one behind Landry I believe that was blatant inaccuracy. We basically need another QB. That's not going to cut it.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's definitely going to jinx it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
It's amusing to hear the talking heads go nuts over Justin Herbert breaking Mayfield's rookie TD pass record, "and he's got TWO MORE GAMES LEFT to demolish it." Umm, how many games did it take Baker to set his record?

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 12/21/20 04:47 PM.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
TROOPER,
It is impressive...nothing wrong with giving the kid credit. He and Baker are tied in 14 games, but Herbert will hold the record, since he'll get 16.

Legend
Legend
I always hated that jersey thing lol

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield part IV a New Hope

Link Copied to Clipboard